Star Wars: For All Your PT, OT, ST, & AT-AT/ST Needs

DaveSumm

31 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

let alone the opportunity cost vs. rolling the dice on someone less known but perhaps better.

....there's not a high opportunity cost with the risk of rolling the dice on someone that may be better but is also less proven?

5 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

He isnt the commercial type. Intellectual 

I'm sure he doesn't mind the commercial aspect. But it seems to me that he does his projects. Director driven vs. studio driven films.

Plus, given the environment right now, it seems that no matter what you do you're going to piss off some super vocal segment of the fandom or the commentariat.  3 years after TLJ and Rian Johnson still gets shit on. Why bother?

Just now, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Director driven vs. studio driven films.

Yes. More accurate than my words. 

1 minute ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Plus, given the environment right now, it seems that no matter what you do you're going to piss off some super vocal segment of the fandom or the commentariat.  3 years after TLJ and Rian Johnson still gets shit on. Why bother?

Hmm

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Abrams would never intentionally acknowledge ANYTHING from the prequels. Which was fine for 7 but really makes things weird and clumsy as fuck in 9

My ears must have been deceiving me when I heard Qui-Gon Jinn and Mace Windu among the voices of Jedi past encouraging Rey...

26 minutes ago, Ran said:

My ears must have been deceiving me when I heard Qui-Gon Jinn and Mace Windu among the voices of Jedi past encouraging Rey...

Wasn't the original "mind blowing" ending JJ had planned for TROS like, a legion of recognizable, spectral Jedi forms backing up Rey when she kills Sidious? Including Anikin, Mace Windu, etc?

I thought I heard that somewhere.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Wasn't the original "mind blowing" ending JJ had planned for TROS like, a legion of recognizable, spectral Jedi forms backing up Rey when she kills Sidious? Including Anikin, Mace Windu, etc?

I thought I heard that somewhere.

I think that may be right. I do recall talk of Christian Hayden Hayden Christensen having filmed something for the film that was not ultimately used. But in any case, there at least they made a deliberate nod to the prequels.

A Villeneuve Star Wars would be fascinating but it would never happen. Villeneuve is a slow-burn, visuals-and-atmosphere-focused director. I think if Lucasfilm and Disney had had the balls to follow through with more experimental tonal variation (i.e. not pulling back on Solo as a more comedic film), that could work, but clearly it's not going to happen.

That said, this last Mandalorian episode, with its exceptional framing, long silences, and moody atmosphere wasn't a billion miles away from what a Villeneuve Star Wars would probably look like. I think the key thing is that Villeneuve always negotiates creative control and studio non-interference in his films, and Lucasfilm would be very unlikely to go for that.

10 hours ago, DMC said:

....there's not a high opportunity cost with the risk of rolling the dice on someone that may be better but is also less proven?

That's totally fair. Also circles back to the issue that what the studio wants, what the casual fans want and what serious fans want are not all the same thing. Seeing Tano in live action last night was very cool (as a casual fan) but I think much less impactful for someone who has only watched the movies. 

I have a theory about something that was revealed in the last Mandalorian episode:

Spoiler

I think Baby Yoda's real name, Grogu, is a Star Wars-ified version of George. The consonants are the same and so is the vowel sound between them, but with the vowel(sound) and the second consonant reversed. The "U" at the end makes sense to further Star Wars-ify the name especially when you can kind of see why other vowel(sound)s are ruled out, I think. Groga is too much like Yoda; Groge is either just Groag or Grogay, the latter might work I suppose; Grogi is too much like hoagie and looks too much like groggy; Grogo is too much like Drogo. Heck, maybe the "U" was borrowed from George's last name.

My guess is Dave Filoni came up with it and if he did, did so as a tribute to GL, and/or was inspired by his name.

Quoting from the mando thread:

31 minutes ago, Toth said:

If by "get through him" you mean "not get immediately cut down", I think we can agree. Though I want to point out that Yoda and Obi-Wan pointedly didn't have any hopes for Luke being able to turn him, they wanted him to kill his father. Similarly they thought Leia would be the only one with enough raw potential to take Vader on and Leia at least wouldn't give a shit about trying to appeal to Vader's consciousness.

I mean yeah that, but also getting Vader to ultimately turn on the emperor to save his son. Though I guess he wasn't super loyal to palpatine anyway since he'd already offered Luke a chance to dispose of him and be 2nd in command. I agree the original movies make it seem like they wanted him to kill his father. But that's actually super weird because it's a pretty dark thing to do and also exactly what the Emperor wants? 

27 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

But Vader was already feeling a connection with Luke, which is what Luke exploited. Leia, with training, could have taken Vader on, but who knows in what position the Rebels would have been by then. Yoda and Obi-Wan were way too inactive in getting Anakin's children ready to help bring down the Empire.

Agreed. It's not clear to me exactly when they hatched the plan to use Anakin's children against him. As I recall at the end of the prequels they don't even know Vader exists and it plays more like they're just hiding the children to protect them. (In Luke's case very poorly.) 

Edit: also, even if he kills Vader the real problem is Palpatine. I don't think anyone would give RoTJ luke a shot in a fight against Palpatine. They didn't even bother to tell him he could deflect force lightning with his lightsaber!

27 minutes ago, RumHam said:

They didn't even bother to tell him he could deflect force lightning with his lightsaber!

This is the problem with having an Uncle Lars instead of an Uncle Iroh.

Doesn't matter who 'kills' Palps if he's still an evil mastermind ruining shit 30 years later.

27 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I mean yeah that, but also getting Vader to ultimately turn on the emperor to save his son. Though I guess he wasn't super loyal to palpatine anyway since he'd already offered Luke a chance to dispose of him and be 2nd in command. I agree the original movies make it seem like they wanted him to kill his father. But that's actually super weird because it's a pretty dark thing to do and also exactly what the Emperor wants? 

I mean, Luke's entire aghast reaction at them lying to him to get him to kill his father kinda underlined that they did want him to do that super dark thing because they saw no other option. I guess they banked on the idea that if Luke killed him without ever learning the truth, he won't fall to the dark side? To me it was always very clear that they saw no hope for Anakin.

39 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Edit: also, even if he kills Vader the real problem is Palpatine. I don't think anyone would give RoTJ luke a shot in a fight against Palpatine. They didn't even bother to tell him he could deflect force lightning with his lightsaber!

They pointedly don't even mention the Emperor, implying that taking on Vader was challenge enough as it is. And yes, his training was woefully lacking, no idea how they thought he would have had any hope to defeat either of them in a fair duel.

6 hours ago, Toth said:

They pointedly don't even mention the Emperor, implying that taking on Vader was challenge enough as it is. And yes, his training was woefully lacking, no idea how they thought he would have had any hope to defeat either of them in a fair duel.

To be fair Luke essentially toys with Vader in Jedi, much as Vader does with Luke in Empire.  Watch the fight, Luke pointedly doesn't even try to swing at Vader (he just blocks and parries) until Vadere brings up Leia.  There's nothing Vader can actually do to him in that fight that puts Luke in any danger.  Now given that the crucial info which Yoda and Obi Wan didn't have (Lightsaber deflects lightning back into face) Luke obviously would have zero chance vs the Emperor.

And of course that's part of the 6 movies (I-VI) that was there even when there were just 3.  Yoda and Obi Wan are fucking trash at their job. Luke essentially ignores them to level up as a Jedi (note he doesn't bother going back to Yoda in the year or so between Empire and Jedi).

Archived