How to win WOT5K (The North)

Mark O'Kane

This will be a series of essays on how each Kingdom can win the WOT5K through careful changing of the military and political tactics. I will start with the North. Robb made massive errors the whole way through the series and frankly I'm surprised he lasted that long. If I was in his shoes I would do a lot differently i.e. 

Gather the FULL POWER of the North - It is widely known the North has 45000 soldiers. I would gather all my power before descending on the South. People will take him more seriously if he has an even bigger force and he can defeat bigger armies this way. 

Get better terms from Walder Frey. Walder Frey needs to be made to understand Robb Stark is the heir to Winterfell and cannot marry beneath him. Offer Lord Walder his pick of one of your bannermen to marry his daughter and agree to foster his grandsons but that's it. Leave one of your bannermen to watch over him and instruct him to gather more reinforcements and supplies for the army because that's his duty. 

Convince the Vale to attack Tywin from the East. Explain to them they need to help defeat him or else victory isn't certain. Praise their honour and say how chivalrous they are. Automatically you get the full power of the Vale - +45000 Mounted Knights and few thousand clansmen.

Send a raven to Balon Greyjoy offering an ultimatum, if he doesn't take Lannisport by moon's turn you will send him Theon's head and then you will go and route him from his keep. If he takes Lannisport he can call himself King of the Iron Islands but this plays into the bigger plan. The Iron Throne won't suffer a rebellious lord and will dispatch the Royal Fleet to put down Balon. While they are distracted send a massive Fleet from White Harbor and Gulltown and time this well with an attack on Kings Landing. 

First Tywin needs dealth with however. Send him a raven offering battle on a battlefield of his choosing, offering him the high ground. First offer single combat which he will refuse and his men will ridicule him but then the night before the battle perform a night march and defeat the Lion while it sleeps. 

To deal with Jaime do the same thing that he does except don't let him kill the Karstarks this time because then Lord Rickard won't kill the prisoners. Ideally you now have Tyrion Kevan Jaime and Tywin all prisoners at this stage. 

Next I would command the Riverlords to invade the Westerlands as revenge and to prevent a counter attack as Stafford Lannister is still in the field... 

I will then fuse together the Vale and the North Army and lay siege to Kings Landing. I would have around 90000 men vs 6000 city watch. I would challenge Joffrey to single combat to humiliate him because he will refuse out of fear. Next I would execute Jaime, Tyrion and Kevan and then send a raven to the Martells saying I will give them Tywin for their support against Renly if he proves a problem. I would then send in 20 men to open all the gates and invade the city, killing all the city watch but no civilians. I would execute Joffrey with Ice and disinherit Tommen and Mrycella and foster them with a bannerman like Roose Bolton, claiming Casterly Rock by right of conquest. I would throw Cersei in the black cells and then I would challenge her to single combat and defeat her with Ice or she can take the black if she so desires. 

Renly and Stannis are out there however. I would offer peace talks to give the throne to Renly but then I would reveal that since Robert was the usurper Renly is a traitor too and Jon is the real heir to the Iron Throne but since he took the black he can't be king so as his next of Kin I must needs take it. I would capture Renly and offer a marriage alliance with the Tyrells if they let me marry Margaery. I gain all the power of Highgarden, the Vale, the Riverlands, the North and Dorne. I offer Renly to repent his treachery or be defeated in single combat and sent to the wall whole or in pieces. Next I offer Stannis the throne.

Stannis then comes to meet me at Storm's End but I first capture Melisandre to stop her from killing me with magic then I have Stannis shot with arrows which he won't suspect. I offer his men to bend the knee or be shot with arrows too. 

I dispatch a raven to Pyke, telling Balon to lay down his crown and send me 10 highborn hostages. 

7 kingdoms are now one once again. I scourge the court of corruption by executing all of them and send all the kingsguard to the Wall or of they choose they can have a trial by combat against me. 

My small council 

Hand - Jon Snow - release him from his vows. He won't want to be king but will give good advice. Marry him to Arianne Martell. 

Master of Whispers - Bran - 3 eyed raven powers very useful

Master of Laws - Randyl Tarly

Master of Ships - Paxter Redwyne

Master of Coin - Mace Tyrell

Grand Maester - Luwin

Lord Commander - Blackfish

Commander of City Watch - Janos Slynt (but then publically execute in trial by battle then replace him with Rickon when he comes of age but in the meantime Rodrik Cassell)

Kingsguard 

1. Loras Tyrell

2. Robar Royce

3. Brienne of Tarth

4. Lyn Corbray

5. Wendel Manderly

6. Lyle Crakehall

7. Blackish - Lord Commander

25 minutes ago, Mark O'Kane said:

Gather the FULL POWER of the North - It is widely known the North has 45000 soldiers. I would gather all my power before descending on the South. People will take him more seriously if he has an even bigger force and he can defeat bigger armies this way. 

In ck2 if your vassals have a high opinion of you, maybe. In the books, the total northern manpower is:

- the original 20 thousand

- the roughly 5 thousand that are lost due to ironborn and Ramsay

- The added 5 thousand that appear on Stannis's side, mainly mountain clansmen.

- and another 5 thousand from whatever the rest can still scrape

So that's 35 thousand at best, though in reality it's 30 thousand due to various overlaps and approximations and only with the last ounce being depleted.

Also, mobilizing the whole North would take a lot of time. There was a reason Robb set off with just 20k men, if he hadn't the Riverlands would have been entirely under Tywin's control when he arrived.

Get better terms from Walder Frey. Walder Frey needs to be made to understand Robb Stark is the heir to Winterfell and cannot marry beneath him. Offer Lord Walder his pick of one of your bannermen to marry his daughter and agree to foster his grandsons but that's it. Leave one of your bannermen to watch over him and instruct him to gather more reinforcements and supplies for the army because that's his duty. 

No way that was going to happen. Walder knew he had them by the balls with Riverrun being besieged. At the best he could be persuaded to get Edmure, and 2 other Stark children, but he wasn't going to settle on a bannerman

Convince the Vale to attack Tywin from the East. Explain to them they need to help defeat him or else victory isn't certain. Praise their honour and say how chivalrous they are. Automatically you get the full power of the Vale - +45000 Mounted Knights and few thousand clansmen.

First off, I doubt the Vale has 45 thousand men at their disposal, those are Westerlands levels of strength and manpower.

Second off, the Lords of the Vale are as you said loyal and honorable. As long as Lysa and SweetRobin are in Littlefinger's littefinger they will order them to stay put and they will obey.

Send a raven to Balon Greyjoy offering an ultimatum, if he doesn't take Lannisport by moon's turn you will send him Theon's head and then you will go and route him from his keep. If he takes Lannisport he can call himself King of the Iron Islands but this plays into the bigger plan. The Iron Throne won't suffer a rebellious lord and will dispatch the Royal Fleet to put down Balon. While they are distracted send a massive Fleet from White Harbor and Gulltown and time this well with an attack on Kings Landing. 

Balon doesn't respond well to being ordered around even when he's imagining it. If he really is being ordered around he will just flat out refuse. Not to mention he sees Theon as a liability for his chosen heir, Asha. Odds are Balon would still invade the North just as a fuck you and leave Theon to die. Remember Hosue Greyjoy's second motto is "we do not think, we do not plan"

First Tywin needs dealth with however. Send him a raven offering battle on a battlefield of his choosing, offering him the high ground. First offer single combat which he will refuse and his men will ridicule him but then the night before the battle perform a night march and defeat the Lion while it sleeps. 

Yes because Tywin is a moron that doesn't use scouts. And who wouldn't name a champion from his mists, like Strongboar.

To deal with Jaime do the same thing that he does except don't let him kill the Karstarks this time because then Lord Rickard won't kill the prisoners. Ideally you now have Tyrion Kevan Jaime and Tywin all prisoners at this stage. 

Next I would command the Riverlords to invade the Westerlands as revenge and to prevent a counter attack as Stafford Lannister is still in the field... 

I hope that you mean the same, but without the trial by combat. Otherwise Robb's story would end quite abruptly.

And from here on it's just building on the previous mistakes. Really mate, this is at D&D levels of ignoring the books

Of note however, you do not need to go that far to imagine Robb winning. Here's my take:

Robb's great moment was at the beginning of ACOK, after Whispering Woods. At that point he had around 25 to 30 thousand troops at his disposal if we count the Riverlords. Robb dispersed a lot of these troops, left Roose to watch paint dry and took just under 10 thousand to raid the Weterlands, destroying Stafford Lannister but gaining no strategic advantage.

He could have however amassed his troops and marched on King's Landing. First he could have marched his cavalry and river lords that were sitting in Riverrun to the Ruby ford and then link up with Roose's foot. With them he could have bypassed Harrenhal and marched to King's Landing. There were 3 options at that point:

- Tywin could have continued to sit in Harrenhal and watch paint dry. In that case Joffrey was fucked. King's Landing is particularly vulnerable from the North, without the Blackwater, the sea or the Kingswood protecting it. It would not stand a chance.

- Tywin could have engaged Robb head on. Either before he linked up with Roose, in which case all Robb had to do was not engage until he could trap Tywon between 2 armies. or after, in which case Robb would have superior numbers (as I said between 25 and 30k men) better morale after whispering woods and better commanders with himself and the Blackfish. Robb would have won said engagement and then he could have continued to King's Landing as discussed previously.

- Or Tywin could have just shadowed Robb not engaging, hoping to smash him against King's Landing. This however would have left Tywin easy prey to ambushes. Not only does the Kingsroad between Harrenhal and KL have a history of ambushes is the Dance, but Tywin would be in enemy territory, and the Starks could pick the layout. Again, Tywin would get smashed.

The end result would have been the same, Robb taking KL. Whether Joff and the others are captured, killed or flee, doesn't matter as Robb now has the powerseat of Westeros. At this point Tywin is either out of the game or trapped in Harrenhal with nowhere left to move.

And with Joffrey a non problem, the perspectives shift for Robb. Stannis would be a threat with similar numbers as Robb, but Robb would be inside the city and the Tyrells would more then likely now ally with Robb as opposed to the now deposed Joffrey. All Robb would have to do was have the basic brainpower to realize that Margery Tyrell is a far better choice then a Frey, honor be damned. If he does then it's gg well played, allied with the Tyrells and controlling KL.

Of course all this requires Robb to have a strategic brain and not have his head up his ass with honor and fear of being seen as ambitious, both of which were not true.

Robb in no way ever had a prayer of taking Kings Landing. The whole point of attacking the Westerlands and winning at Oxcross was to draw Tywin out of Harrenhal and into the West, far away from Kings Landing. The gambit would likely have worked, as Tywin was leaving Harrenhal when he was attacked by Edmure Tully at the second Battle of Riverrun. That battle delayed Tywin long enough to hear word of Stannis's impending assault, and gave Tywin the chance to link his forces up with the Tyrells. Had Edmure let Tywin pass unmolested, Tywin would have been stuck in the West during the Battle of the Blackwater. There's a good chance in that scenario that Kings Landing falls to Stannis. Either way, Robb was never going to take the city. His plan of luring Tywin west almost worked but for Edmure's idiocy.

3 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Why not? The city is weak from the North and he has about as many men as Stannis did.

Tywin was at Harrenhal in part to preclude that possibility. If Robb had tried to attack the city, he would have been attacked from the North by Tywin. This would have been on ground of Tywin's choosing, and would likely have played into Tywin's hands, as Tyrion hinted at to Cercie in ACoK. Robb's whole plan in attacking Stafford's army at Oxcross was to lure Tywin away from Harrenhal into the West on ground of Robb's choosing.

1 minute ago, Nathan Stark said:

Tywin was at Harrenhal in part to preclude that possibility. If Robb had tried to attack the city, he would have been attacked from the North by Tywin. This would have been on ground of Tywin's choosing, and would likely have played into Tywin's hands, as Tyrion hinted at to Cercie in ACoK. Robb's whole plan in attacking Stafford's army at Oxcross was to lure Tywin away from Harrenhal into the West on ground of Robb's choosing.

Robb didn't need to attack Harrenhal, he could just bypass it, and if Tywin sallied out he would be in enemy land (Harrenhal is still the riverlands), outnumbered (presuming Robb brought the remaining riverlands levies with him) and let's be honest outmatched, with both Blackfish and Robb being better generals then he was.

It's pretty much a straight line from Harrenhal to Kings Landing via the Kings Road. If Robb had attacked KL without first securing Harrenhal, he would absolutely have been attacked by Tywin from the North. If Robb had tried to lay seige to Harrenhal, he would have at best wasted valuable time and resources, at worst risking outright defeat if Tywin chose to meet him in outright battle. There was no way Robb could take Kings Landing without having to deal with Tywin in some fashion. He needed to do something to change game. He needed to draw Tywin out of Harrenhal on his own terms, not Tywin's. He needed Tywin far away from where Tywin needed to be. He needed to go West.

Walder Frey needs to do his duty because that is literally his job as Robb's bannerman as Robb is part Tully and the heir to both Riverrun if Edmure is killed and also Winterfell. Robb could have Edmure placed in the vanguard and direct his archers to fire on his position. This way he has direct control over the Freys and he now has the power of two great houses. Robb could have the 4000 Freys plus increase his army further through constant reinforcement from the Freys. 

I said to trick Tywin because yes I'm aware he is a clever man and would probably be able to defeat my forces in a straight fight, that's why I suggested hoodwinking him. 

No I didn't mean challenge Jaime to single combat why would I do that if he's already my prisoner? I would chop off both hands as revenge so he cannot harm a member of House Stark ever again. What I meant was I would enact the Whispering Wood plan the same way Robb did as to his credit that was a pretty good idea besides the glaringly obvious flaw of not just shooting the lannisters with arrows as then Jaime cannot charge at Robb and kill his guards which loses Robb the Karstarks. 

1 hour ago, Nathan Stark said:

It's pretty much a straight line from Harrenhal to Kings Landing via the Kings Road. If Robb had attacked KL without first securing Harrenhal, he would absolutely have been attacked by Tywin from the North. If Robb had tried to lay seige to Harrenhal, he would have at best wasted valuable time and resources, at worst risking outright defeat if Tywin chose to meet him in outright battle. There was no way Robb could take Kings Landing without having to deal with Tywin in some fashion. He needed to do something to change game. He needed to draw Tywin out of Harrenhal on his own terms, not Tywin's. He needed Tywin far away from where Tywin needed to be. He needed to go West.

As I outlined, if Robb bypasses Harrenhal Tywin has 3 options:

- do nothing, in which case Joffrey is dead

- engage directly, which as I've outlined favors Robb.

- shadow Robb so as to trap him between himself and Kl should he attack it. However this makes one horribly vulnerable to ambushes, something Robb is known to have used.

8 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

As I outlined, if Robb bypasses Harrenhal Tywin has 3 options:

- do nothing, in which case Joffrey is dead

- engage directly, which as I've outlined favors Robb.

- shadow Robb so as to trap him between himself and Kl should he attack it. However this makes one horribly vulnerable to ambushes, something Robb is known to have used.

The problem with your analysis is that you assume engaging directly with Robb is a problem for Tywin. Nobody in the story acts like this is the case. Tywin has superior numbers to Robb. If Robb is to attack Kings Landing, that puts Robb's forces in between the force at KL and Tywin's army. Tywin likely wanted Robb to attack KL because that would put Robb's army directly in front of Tywin's army. All Tywin needs to do if Robb attacks Kings Landing is march south and attack Robb from the rear. In fact, this is exactly how Tywin defeated Stannis at the Blackwater, attacking him from the North. I'm unclear why you beleive things would go differently for Robb here. 

2 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

The problem with your analysis is that you assume engaging directly with Robb is a problem for Tywin. Nobody in the story acts like this is the case. Tywin has superior numbers to Robb. If Robb is to attack Kings Landing, that puts Robb's forces in between the force at KL and Tywin's army. Tywin likely wanted Robb to attack KL because that would put Robb's army directly in front of Tywin's army. All Tywin needs to do if Robb attacks Kings Landing is march south and attack Robb from the rear. In fact, this is exactly how Tywin defeated Stannis at the Blackwater, attacking him from the North. I'm unclear why you beleive things would go differently for Robb here. 

The numbers are roughly equal (Robb departs with 20k northmen, gains 4k Freys, loses a couple of thousands at the Green Fork and gains the Riverlands levies). If he mobilized all available troops he would outnumber Tywin.

As for getting caught between KL and Harrenhal, it's a big distance between Harrehal and KL, Tywin would need to depart many days if not weeks before Robb reaches it, giving Robb time to meet him without KL at his back. It would result in either a standard battle or an ambush if Tywin rushes Robb in an attempt to reach KL quickly. Stannis fucked up by believing Tywin would still be in Harrenhal and not march out as soon as he heard the news from Bitterbridge.

6 minutes ago, Nathan Stark said:

I think he means robb giving Tywin battle just north of kings landing. No idiot would attack kings landing whilst an army is on their rear.

If robb were to bypass harrenhall somehow, he could head straight for kings landing. Forcing Tywin to sally out of harrenhall and March south. Than robb can give battle somewhere between kings landing and harrenhall (a place of robs choosing).

For a triumphant north their is a strategy that robb and roose couldve used that could lead to capture or death of both Jamie and Tywin along with further losses for tywins army.

Instead of the battle of green fork happening further south of the green fork itself. Roose can force a battle as far north as possible (near the twins). Whilst this happens robbs much more mobile army, would have lifted the siege of riverrun and linked up with other riverlords along with their retainers and knights. Within a days rest of the battle of the camps he could try to force match his cavalry based army towards the ruby Ford and attempt to block the crossing. Trapping Tywin between him and roose.

Now this plan is all down to luck. Its not even possible that Tywin would March that far north and give roose battle. And if this battle near the twins happens, its even possible that tywin would reach the Ford before robb.

Its basically who gets their first.

We are explicitly told at the start of ACoK that Robb's forces have been depleted somewhat. Edmure allowed his Riverlords to let some of their men return home for the Autumn harvest. So Robb does in fact have a disadvantage in numbers. One of his motivations in attacking Staffords army is to ensure that things don't become even more lopsided. It also serves the purpose of drawing Tywin out of Harrenhal and away from Kings Landing.

One thing we've been ignoring so far is that Renly was slowly marching towards KL during this time with a much larger force than Robbs. This had to have been factored in to the dicision making here. Why waste valuable time and energy laying seige to KL when you can let someone else do it? Meanwhile, by invading Tywin's home territoryand living off of Tywin's own land, you force Tywin into ground of your choosing. That was Robb's strategy. His mistake was in not making this abundantly clear to Edmure.

Robb and the Starks had a chance to rescue Ned.  Win enough battles and they could have negotiated for his release.  They had a chance to negotiate a retreat after his death.  But carving out a significant chunk of the kingdom was not a good strategy.  A Stark controlled Riverlands almost isolates the west from the east.  The Lannisters and the other families will not allow that.  

Robb can't win no matter what he do, if the other players actions do not change.

The biggest mistakes Robb did that helped his ruin were picking Roose as commander of the second army and sending Theon back to Balon.

Even if he does not do that he is doomed if the other behave the same, Ramsey will still start a mess in the north, Balon would still invade the north, Renly would sit on his hand and die without doing anything, Stannis will get crushed at Blackwater and from that Robb is trapped in the Riverlands fighting a army 3 times his size with IB reaving the north holding the Moat and stopping his return.

For Robb to win he need other players to take diferent actions, Renly moving against KL, Stannis marching against Mace before going for the city, Dorne going rogue, Tywin havinga heart attack, The Vale joining Robb or also going solo, but something needs to change.

On 11/22/2020 at 10:29 AM, Mark O'Kane said:

If he gathers the full power of the North he takes a longer time to leave Winterfell. He needed to march south fast.

The clansmen are as much a part of the Vale as the Freefolk are a part of the North, they wouldn't follow the lords of the Vale. And they're already on the Lannister side.

You need to convince Lysa tho, not the lords of the Vale, and you wouldn't convince her, ever.

You don't have a fleet, and it takes a lot of time to build one.

First Tywin needs dealth with however. Send him a raven offering battle on a battlefield of his choosing, offering him the high ground. First offer single combat which he will refuse and his men will ridicule him

Why would he refuse? He can likely take Robb, and if not him, he has Jaime. If he accepts he will beat Robb.

but then the night before the battle perform a night march and defeat the Lion while it sleeps. 

They wouldn't fall for that.

To deal with Jaime do the same thing that he does except don't let him kill the Karstarks this time because then Lord Rickard won't kill the prisoners.

You serious? He can't know what will happen to the Karstarks, and if he could prevent it the first time he would have. Hindsight 20/20

Ideally you now have Tyrion Kevan Jaime and Tywin all prisoners at this stage. 

No, Lysa let Tyrion leave and Robb doesn't control her.

I will then fuse together the Vale and the North Army and lay siege to Kings Landing. I would have around 90000 men vs 6000 city watch. I would challenge Joffrey to single combat to humiliate him because he will refuse out of fear. Next I would execute Jaime, Tyrion and Kevan and then send a raven to the Martells saying I will give them Tywin for their support against Renly if he proves a problem.

If we know anything about the Martells is that they won't go to war, specially since Highgarden outmatches them 5 to one. IMHO the best way to get Martell support is to make Dornish law apply to the whole of Westeros.

I would then send in 20 men to open all the gates and invade the city, killing all the city watch but no civilians. I would execute Joffrey with Ice and disinherit Tommen and Mrycella and foster them with a bannerman like Roose Bolton, claiming Casterly Rock by right of conquest. I would throw Cersei in the black cells and then I would challenge her to single combat and defeat her with Ice or she can take the black if she so desires. 

WHAT? challenging a woman to single combat and sending her to the Night's Watch?? WHAT???

Renly and Stannis are out there however. I would offer peace talks to give the throne to Renly but then I would reveal that since Robert was the usurper Renly is a traitor too and Jon is the real heir to the Iron Throne but since he took the black he can't be king so as his next of Kin I must needs take it.

How would you know any of that? Robb has no claim through Jon, and Dany is still alive.

I would capture Renly and offer a marriage alliance with the Tyrells if they let me marry Margaery. I gain all the power of Highgarden, the Vale, the Riverlands, the North and Dorne. I offer Renly to repent his treachery or be defeated in single combat and sent to the wall whole or in pieces.

Renly would likely beat Robb in single combat.

Next I offer Stannis the throne.

He knows what you did to his brother, so he doesn't go. He's also the only one with claim through the Baratheon line now. So all he has to do is skinchange some smoke baby and kill you.

Stannis then comes to meet me at Storm's End but I first capture Melisandre to stop her from killing me with magic then I have Stannis shot with arrows which he won't suspect. I offer his men to bend the knee or be shot with arrows too. 

Dishonorable and dumb. WHy would he not suspect it? how would you capture Melissandre?

I dispatch a raven to Pyke, telling Balon to lay down his crown and send me 10 highborn hostages. 

He won't.

7 kingdoms are now one once again. I scourge the court of corruption by executing all of them and send all the kingsguard to the Wall or of they choose they can have a trial by combat against me. 

... And kill you.

My small council 

Hand - Jon Snow - release him from his vows. He won't want to be king but will give good advice. Marry him to Arianne Martell. 

The worst possible hand, great.

Master of Whispers - Bran - 3 eyed raven powers very useful

If Winterfell is never taken he never becomes the Three Eyed Crow (raven is on the show).

Master of Laws - Randyl Tarly

Master of Ships - Paxter Redwyne

Master of Coin - Mace Tyrell

Why??? Way to much power to the Tyrells, none to the Tullys, Arryn's or Martells. Not a good plan.

Grand Maester - Luwin

You don't decide that.

Commander of City Watch - Janos Slynt (but then publically execute in trial by battle then replace him with Rickon when he comes of age but in the meantime Rodrik Cassell)

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

On 11/22/2020 at 10:29 AM, Mark O'Kane said:

1. Loras Tyrell

2. Robar Royce

3. Brienne of Tarth

4. Lyn Corbray

5. Wendel Manderly

6. Lyle Crakehall

7. Blackish - Lord Commander

Why not the people that where already on Robb's 'kingsguard'?

You're lacking in marriage alliances too, to cement the peace. What about Arya and Tristante, Bran and Shireen, Sansa and Theon.

Who rules the Westerlands? Who does he marry to legitimize it?

On 11/22/2020 at 9:29 PM, Mark O'Kane said:

Tywin and Co. aren't going to twiddle their thumbs waiting for Robb to gather the combined forces of the whole North and the powers that be. If Robb had his druthers, he would have done just that.

Robb was in no position to haggle. He can whinge all he wants about how the Late Lord Frey must needs pay his dues to THE KING IN THE NORF, but by the end of the day it's Lord Walder's say on who gets the Frey's alliance and how.

First off, the Vale has virtually no reason to see why they should join in the fray when they're doing pretty good so far as they stay neutral. Secondly, Lysa is Littlefinger's puppet. It's his word that will move Vale, not hers.

And did you think Tyrion won over the wildlings by singing tales of their valour and daring? Even if you found some way to work them to your side, the lords in Vale will certainly find that insulting, among other things.

If Balon actually listens to you, then you've managed the impossible. Otherwise... no. Balon does not give two shits about his son, and he certainly does not want to listen to some greenlander lord who calls himself king. You'll only be wasting your breath on an idiot who'll be Abel'ed soon enough, anyway.

And therein lies your first fatal mistake. You've handed Tywin Lannister the trap in a silver platter, and he didn't even have to work for it. You might as well scribble "THE HIGH GROUND IS A LIE" in a red marker all over the message while you're at it. So while you and your host march up to Tywin's battlefield of choice, marvelling at your own cunning, Tywin will work the other way around and use your position to his advantage.

will then fuse together the Vale and the North Army and lay siege to Kings Landing. I would have around 90000 men vs 6000 city watch. I would challenge Joffrey to single combat to humiliate him because he will refuse out of fear. Next I would execute Jaime, Tyrion and Kevan and then send a raven to the Martells saying I will give them Tywin for their support against Renly if he proves a problem. I would then send in 20 men to open all the gates and invade the city, killing all the city watch but no civilians. I would execute Joffrey with Ice and disinherit Tommen and Mrycella and foster them with a bannerman like Roose Bolton, claiming Casterly Rock by right of conquest. I would throw Cersei in the black cells and then I would challenge her to single combat and defeat her with Ice or she can take the black if she so desires. 

Assuming you, by some miracle, have managed to amass this amount of manpower in such a short amount of time, you'll also still have to encounter Stannis Baratheon at Blackwater Bay. Renly is assassinated at this point, and the Martells will be happy to aid you in your Lannistermination endeavours anyway. Sparing Tommen and Myrcella will prove to be detrimental in the long run---Baratheon loyalists will plot to bring them to power again. And Cersei does not have the option to take the black. She's a woman.

Renly and Stannis are out there however. I would offer peace talks to give the throne to Renly but then I would reveal that since Robert was the usurper Renly is a traitor too and Jon is the real heir to the Iron Throne but since he took the black he can't be king so as his next of Kin I must needs take it. I would capture Renly and offer a marriage alliance with the Tyrells if they let me marry Margaery. I gain all the power of Highgarden, the Vale, the Riverlands, the North and Dorne. I offer Renly to repent his treachery or be defeated in single combat and sent to the wall whole or in pieces. Next I offer Stannis the throne.

That portion of your plan is completely and utterly senseless. Not only will you sound insane trying to prove Jon's Targaryen heritage, you also antagonise everyone involved in overthrowing the Targaryens by spitting on your aunt, uncle, and grandfather's (and by some extent your father as well) graves.

Are you serious? Stannis doesn't need Melisandre's fires to know this is a trap. And arrows? Jesus Christ, even Patchface can come up with a better strategy. Remind me again how you managed to defeat Tywin Lannister, of all things?

You've completely forgotten about Balon Greyjoy throughout all of this and allowed him to do fuck to whatever he wants to do. By this point the North is screwed, Theon or no Theon.

Cersei Lannister's starting to look like a master schemer now, and it's a terrifying thought.

You've failed to account for Dany, Aegon, and Euron. Granted, you did specifically state that it was TWotFK you mean to win, so I suppose I can't fault you for that. But by seating yourself om the Iron Throne, you've effectively made yourself a target of all three. And there's also the White Walkers you didn't consider. Without Stannis to send them aid, the North's doom is sealed. But hey, details.

Archived