Why did Rhaegar bring Lyanna to Dorne?

Angel Eyes

15 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Of all places to abscond with someone, why did Rhaegar Targaryen choose to bring Lyanna Stark to Dorne? He certainly had some nerve showing his face there after disgracing their princess twice over. 

I mean, it's the place you'd least expect them to be. If they're trying to hide, Dorne is a daring double bluff.

24 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Of all places to abscond with someone, why did Rhaegar Targaryen choose to bring Lyanna Stark to Dorne? He certainly had some nerve showing his face there after disgracing their princess twice over. 

Ser Arthur Dayne 

It's not actually all that clear how upset the Martells were over Rheagar's behavior. Dorne is not like the other Seven Kingdoms, culturally. Paramours are common, and in any case, any children Rheagar has by Lyanna are no threat to Elia's in the line of succession

5 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Ah Bud, you assume all of Dorne or at least Elia, wasn't complicit in Rhaegar's plans.  

4 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

It's not actually all that clear how upset the Martells were over Rheagar's behavior. Dorne is not like the other Seven Kingdoms, culturally. Paramours are common, and in any case, any children Rheagar has by Lyanna are no threat to Elia's in the line of succession

You, my friend, are a proven good sport.  With that in mind I am pouncing upon your statements, which I completely concur with, in order to add that Elia was incapable of bearing more children.   That 3rd baby was a mighty big deal to the heir to the Iron Throne.  In the real world there are instances where a wife could legally be put aside for inability to provide children.   Not saying that's what prompted R to take L to Dorne, but I would think the Martells would be relieved at the prospect of another breed mare for R.  Renly had the notion that Robert would be able to put Cersei aside in favor of Margaery.  It isn't clear what the basis was for this, but I think it hints at precident if not proving it.  

4 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

At Tourney at Harrenhal it was reported that when Rhaegar awarded Lyanna the title of Queen of Love and Beauty that ALL SMILES DIED . Something caused Aerys to practically brow beat Lewyn Martell to take charge of the Dornishmen marching up the King's Road  . Then when Rhaegar died , Aerys believed that the Dornishmen had betrayed Rhaegar . 

32 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

It could be as easy as Arthur retreating to his home territory. I'm more interested to know how Ned knew they were there. Both answers could involve a Dayne. This would explain Ashara's suicide too if she told Ned and her brother died because of it.

:cheers: :agree:

12 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:
12 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Ser Arthur Dayne 

:D

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

It could be as easy as Arthur retreating to his home territory. I'm more interested to know how Ned knew they were there. Both answers could involve a Dayne. This would explain Ashara's suicide too if she told Ned and her brother died because of it.

I tought it was a wide known thing, esecially among the royalists, since someone was sent for Rhaegar there to bring him back to lead the royalist army. Ned, after arriving at King's Landing, straight went to Storm's End to end its siege. There he got the information of his sister's whereabouts.

19 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

It's not actually all that clear how upset the Martells were over Rheagar's behavior.

It's hinted that they would not be all that happy.

Rhaegar had Dornish troops with him on the Trident, under the command of Prince Lewyn of the Kingsguard. However, the Dornishmen did not support him as strongly as they might have, in part because of anger at his treatment of Elia, in part because of Prince Doran's innate caution

19 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

I mean, it's the place you'd least expect them to be. If they're trying to hide, Dorne is a daring double bluff.

I agree.

14 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Renly had the notion that Robert would be able to put Cersei aside in favor of Margaery.  

I think it was more like putting his hammer down... on top of her head

6 hours ago, HerblYY said:

I tought it was a wide known thing, esecially among the royalists, since someone was sent for Rhaegar there to bring him back to lead the royalist army. Ned, after arriving at King's Landing, straight went to Storm's End to end its siege. There he got the information of his sister's whereabouts.

That would beg the question what as the point of having Lyanna there at all then? If the location was secret then there would be some sense and safety in that. If everyone knew about it, she would've been better off at King's Landing, Dragonstone or any other loyal castle with reasonable protection.

21 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

That would beg the question what as the point of having Lyanna there at all then? If the location was secret then there would be some sense and safety in that. If everyone knew about it, she would've been better off at King's Landing, Dragonstone or any other loyal castle with reasonable protection.

Some believe that Rhaegar spent the beginning of Robert's Rebellion, also known as the War of the Usurper, with Lyanna Stark at the tower of joy in the Red Mountains of Dorne. King Aerys sent Ser Gerold Hightower, the Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, to retrieve Rhaegar. Leaving Ser Gerold, Ser Arthur Dayne, and Ser Oswell Whent at the tower, Rhaegar returned to the crownlands and took command of the Targaryen army after the defeat of his friend Jon Connington in the battle of the Bells.~A Wiki of Ice and Fire

This is it. He most likely did not want Lyanna to bring places like Dragonstone or King's Landing because that would've been too public or something (I dunno). ToJ is also not Dorne, but the Dornish Marches, near Summerhall (Rhaegar visited the ruins several times, and had some kind of connection with the place). Again, Rhaegar's whereabouts were only known for the court, maybe only Aerys and a few people.

I think that Rhaegar brought Lyanna to Dorne because he found out from the prophecy something like - the third head of the dragon supposed to be conceived at Starfall (the place where fell meteorite from which Azor Ahai/first Dayne forged Lightbringer). I'm absolutely sure that Dawn of Daynes and AA's Lightbringer is the same sword. So I have a theory that when that meteorite fell, part of its power was dispersed into the surrounding area, and thus the sword that was forged from the heart of that meteorite was carrying in it only part of the meteorite's power. That's why AA knew that he won't be able to defeat all the Others with the power that the sword had at that time. Thus after the Long Night ended he took his family and his people from Asshai and thru Valyria (40 of those people separated from AA's entorage and settled at Valyria) brought them to Dorne, where he build Starfall, and the castle acted like a magnet that for millenia was absorbing the power that was dispersed by the meteorite during the collision. Then Rhaegar and Lyanna conceived Jon at Starfall and the baby absorbed all that power that was gathered by the castle. Thus half of the power is in the sword, Dawn/Lightbringer, and the other half of the power is in Jon. Jon and Lightbringer combined together is the only weapon that is able to obliterate the Others. For Jon, to become the Sword of the Morning/wielder of Dawn/Lightbringer, it was necessary to be conceived/born at Starfall, same as all other Daynes that were carriers of that sword before him. Maybe Rhaegar figured out that Dawn is AA's sword, maybe Daynes were aware of it all along. Jon as Rhaegar's child is partially Dayne, thru Egg's mother Dyanna Dayne. So could be that Daynes knew about the prophecy, same as Rhaegar, and they agreed to give the sword for Rhaegar's child (either Lyanna's baby or Elia's Aegon), though they insisted that they will give away the sword only in case if the baby will be conceived/born at Starfall. Thus, could be that it was Arthur's condition, that if Rhaegar wants the sword, he has to bring Lyanna to Starfall.

22 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

We don't know everything that went on back then.  We should all consider if all of this was done on the order of the king himself.  Aerys gave the orders to nap the wolf girl and kill her.  Rhaegar balked and took her to the only safe place he and Arthur knew. 

23 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

And since both Dorne and the Reach are loyalists, Lyanna is in the safest place that she could possibly by, so there is no reason to give her three kingsguard, including the Sword of the Morning and the Lord Commander.

All the more reason to suspect that this was not Rhaegar's doing at all.

1 minute ago, John Suburbs said:

And since both Dorne and the Reach are loyalists, Lyanna is in the safest place that she could possibly by, so there is no reason to give her three kingsguard, including the Sword of the Morning and the Lord Commander.

All the more reason to suspect that this was not Rhaegar's doing at all.

The initial absconding had Rhaegar, Arthur, and Oswell. Gerold Hightower didn't go to Dorne until Robert's Rebellion was underway, since he was present when Rickard and Brandon Stark were roasted.

18 hours ago, HerblYY said:

No, I don't think so. Aerys didn't know where Rhaegar was or he would have been retrieved earlier. Jon Connington would definitely have sent people to Rhaegar if he knew. Rhaegar was doing things secretly, which is also why Robert Baratheon didn't send a larger force there and instead Ned was able to handpick a smaller number of people. The ToJ is far from KL but near Starfall, and if Wylla had already been sent from Starfall to the ToJ (and perhaps they kept the tower supplied in other ways) people there would have known, and Ned knows at least one person in Starfall, who (as others here pointed out) might wind up feeling guilty enough about telling him to commit suicide.

Archived