Covid-19 #20: Nowhere to Hide

Fragile Bird

3 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I thought too much was made out of “9/11”. Was it tragic? Yes. Was it a failure of the US intelligence community? Yes. Did it justify the anti-Muslim sentiment and retaliatory hate crimes and discrimination  that followed? Absolutely not.

Yes!

Anyways, most people have gotten used to wearing masks, etc; it’s a small percentage who don’t or won’t. Shaming does nothing. All shaming does is drive behaviors underground and have people engage in denial - this has been shown with public health initiatives around HIV and teen sex.

Maybe?

What is needed is a bunch of sports stars making public health commercials about how they wear masks everywhere. And maybe Kim Kardashian to have an Instagram post while wearing a mask, outdoors, or something.

No. First, the former have been doing this heavily. There's no reason for pro athletes to be wearing masks while playing, but they still do, and the leagues are going out of their way to punish them when they don't. They are doing their best to set a good example.

As far as KK goes, she did literally hold a private island party for her 40th not that long ago. She should disappear, not be someone trying to be a role model setting an example.

5 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Thanks.

I’m not (quite) a big enough jerk to go back to work on Monday without at least checking first. 

You should notify your job before you return. If you live with someone who has tested positive, there's a good chance you have it even if you're not experiencing symptoms. 

1 minute ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Oh, thank goodness. Well, we ARE essential. If you like having an economy.

Yeah, those day traders sitting at their computer at home and not having physical contact with anyone they don't want to are entirely the same as people required to work in warehouses and grocery stores and in police precincts. VERY apt comparison. 

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

And my older brother, who I live with, tested positive. 

Great.

Guess I’ll make a trip to the clinic in the morning.  

Aw shit.  :frown5:

eta: and of course, I’m hoping you don’t have it. Keeping my fingers crossed, but, bloody hell.

14 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Aw shit.  :frown5:

eta: and of course, I’m hoping you don’t have it. Keeping my fingers crossed, but, bloody hell.

I still think I had it back in March. If I do test positive, it could be the second time.

It’s my brother I’m worried about, the lovable idiot that he is. His lungs have collapsed twice in the last 5 years. With any luck his symptoms stay mild, and don’t hurt his lungs too badly. 

@A True Kaniggit good luck man, wish y’all the best.

my wife is 9 months pregnant. Shit is fucking going down. It’s kind of ironic that one of the reasons we moved back to my area of origin is proximity to family for when we start our own family, but due to Covid none of them are going to get to participate in the early days. The Dr said nobody but my wife and I allowed around the baby in the first 2 weeks. My wife has to get Covid tested before we are allowed to take the baby home (but I don’t, which I think is kind of weird). When family is allowed to see the baby they have to wear masks and aren’t allowed to touch baby’s face. The Drs make it seem so easy. In reality I have a hard time imagining policing family members holding an infant. Here is your first and only grandchild and also DONT FUCKING TOUCH THEM.  It’s a shit situation that nobody is happy about. 

im thinking that I might go a little rogue on this and tell my parents that they can come hold the baby after 2 weeks like normal humans, but they have to get a Covid test first.

19 minutes ago, S John said:

It’s kind of ironic that one of the reasons we moved back to my area of origin is proximity to family for when we start our own family

West Virginia, isn’t it?

Haven’t been there since September of last year.

Planning on making a trip back mid 2021. 

41 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I still think I had it back in March. If I do test positive, it could be the second time.

It’s my brother I’m worried about, the lovable idiot that he is. His lungs have collapsed twice in the last 5 years. With any luck his symptoms stay mild, and don’t hurt his lungs too badly. 

Oh, no, I hope he has a mild case. Damn it all, bloody hell, I am so sorry to read this. My brother is 70, had major surgery last year during which they discovered he has heart issues. They put in two stents... I worry every time he goes to the grocery store. When I'm with him I always have to tell him to wear his mask properly, though he's gotten better. With things getting worse here I've been trying to go out less and less, and it's hard.

S John, I hope everything goes smoothly with the birth of your baby and mom and child get through it all without a hitch. What a helluva year. Take care.

38 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Yes, go rogue on that. 

I’ve never felt compelled to hold any infant other than my own (they poop! They spit up! They cry!) but I imagine I would want to hold my grand-infant.

So, best to tell them that the doctor said they have to isolate for two weeks and take a PCR test. Etiquette demands that you offer to pay for the tests.

You might also, as an example, get tested, unless you have been completely isolated. (I think the reason they don’t have you test is because is she has it, you have it.)

Yea this is what I was thinking of doing. I think the 2 weeks from birth is for the baby’s sake but both my parents have to work. After that fist two weeks it really becomes unrealistic to say to them you cannot see this baby. But I can insist that they get tested first, and I think that’s the direction I’ll go. To be honest I wouldn’t trust them to quarantine to my standards even if they didn’t have to work so making them get a test is probably the way to go.

25 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

West Virginia, isn’t it?

Haven’t been there since September of last year.

Planning on making a trip back mid 2021. 

Originally, yes, and much of my extended family is still there so we go back a lot. But my wife and I, my parents, and my sisters’ family all live in Virginia now. It’s not like it’s far, much closer than when we were in Texas. What were you doing in WV?

18 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

S John, I hope everything goes smoothly with the birth of your baby and mom and child get through it all without a hitch. What a helluva year. Take care.

Thank you, it really has been a helluva year. One day I’m gonna be telling this baby, son or daughter (we don’t know the gender), the year you were born was fucking nuts. :lol:  we’ve had a cross country move, some major job shake-ups, bought a house, and a pregnancy and soon to be infant. All of that with the undercurrent of Covid and an important and stressful election. We could really use some chill time after this year. Good thing we are about to have an infant, that’s usually considered a pretty low key experience, right?

2 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Anyways, most people have gotten used to wearing masks, etc; it’s a small percentage who don’t or won’t.

I think this depends on where you are. In my part of New York City, most people wear masks, but a substantial fraction of them wear them improperly. The most popular way is to wear the mask under the nose which is better than nothing, but still not good. There are also people who are wearing on the chin (which obviously does nothing at all) because they're either smoking or talking on the phone.

I'd estimate about half of the people I see on the street are wearing the masks right, but even for these the vast majority of the masks are either cloth or the cheap surgical ones (if you're not a health care worker, N95s are expensive and hard to get). This is still way better than no masks at all, but it's far from what it should be.

10 minutes ago, S John said:

Originally, yes, and much of my extended family is still there so we go back a lot. But my wife and I, my parents, and my sisters’ family all live in Virginia now. It’s not like it’s far, much closer than when we were in Texas. What were you doing in WV?

Visiting my dad, he was raised there. He left when he joined the Air Force and was stationed in Texas for a long time, and then Virginia. After he retired he decided to go back to WV.

Small world yeah? :dunno:

Just now, A True Kaniggit said:

Visiting my dad, he's from there. He left when he joined the Air Force and was stationed in Texas for a long time, and then Virginia. After he retired he decided to go back to WV.

Small world yeah? :dunno:

Nice. It’s a great place with bad problems. I would definitely consider it in retirement, in fact I am, but can’t really consider it now becuase the economic opportunity there is both limited and shit. Though, they got Richard Branson’s hyper loop testing facility coming in soon. Need A LOT more like that.

Needs new industry, new blood, and forward thinking politicians. They have very little of all three. Despite all that, eventually, my wife and I want to get some land and build out there. Something about it makes most natives who left want to come back at some point. Your dad is typical in that way. Could be family ties but I think a big part is the fact that there are vast tracts of the state where you can do whatever you want while the world outside goes nuts and nobody will ever even bother to look for you. There are very few places like that anymore. my dad and I have been scheming for years to at least get a cabin up there. 

11 minutes ago, S John said:

eventually, my wife and I want to get some land and build out there. Something about it makes most natives who left want to come back at some point. Your dad is typical in that way. Could be family ties but I think a big part is the fact that there are vast tracts of the state where you can do whatever you want while the world outside goes nuts and nobody will ever even bother to look for you. There are very few places like that anymore. my dad and I have been scheming for years to at least get a cabin up there. 

That's what he did. Bought some property next to a lake in the mountains, cleared some trees and started building.

Great fishing, and not that many people around.

4 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Well, an old friend in Spain has been re-infected, or so he thinks. He wasn't tested by then because situation was very messy and his case was mild, but he really thinks he had it as he was in contact with people who had it and had all the symptoms. He was reinfected in October, now confirmed by PCR. He was told by the testing team that there are probably hundreds of reinfected.

I got pretty grim when I learned that and by reading also some worrisome reports regarding the virus (like possible cancerogenic effects and others). I even woke up one night with the idea that the virus was a "doomsday device".

I've been calmer since then, but like many I oscillate between very worry and everything is BS.

23 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Isn’t it about 10% total long-term infection side-effect rate? There’s also kind of a tail, with a certain percentage recovering by 4 weeks, then 8 weeks, then 12 weeks, and then a long but small tail of “not yet”.

and even asymptomatic people can (and most? 70-some%) have “silent” heart issues?

I do adore my cardiologist ex boyfriend but I don’t want to be his patient, lol.

Kind of wondering if I can fly to Bahrain and get the vaccine.

The State Dept travel advisory is at level 3 currently.

Level 3 is a recommendation to reconsider but not a ban. Level 4 is the travel ban.

So yes you can travel to Bahrain if you get the opportunity to get vaccinated earlier there.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/bahrain-travel-advisory.html

I will not be taking any measures to take it early. I want to observe how the people in the front of the line react to the doses. :D

Holy smokes, I just saw the story about the NBA player who has lost 7 family members to Covid-19, 6 since his mom died in April. Karl-Anthony Towns, who plays for the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Right now an American dies of Covid-19 every 30 seconds. That’s pretty sobering.

Archived