CA's Total War: The Celtic-Han-Lizardmen alliance that never was

Corvinus85

Yeah, the DLC and the various changes all seem fun. Even Beastmen seem like they might be interesting to play now. I just need to settle on what campaign to try first...

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I think adding mercenary Ogres strongly suggests that the pre-order race for WH3 will be the Ogre Kingdoms.

I was thinking it might actually be the opposite: the mercenaries are our Ogre Kingdoms preview and the pre-order bonus will be a faction that slots into WH2 more easily, like Neferata. That way they'd avoid any of the forking issues that kept Norsca out of WH2 for so long after game launch.

I may be the only person who goes for the Lizardmen lord first but......  he seems to be all about skinks which kind of takes away the fun of playing the lizardmen with all the giant dinos.  I like that he gets to teleport around like the WE though.

1 minute ago, Slurktan said:

I may be the only person who goes for the Lizardmen lord first but......  he seems to be all about skinks which kind of takes away the fun of playing the lizardmen with all the giant dinos.  I like that he gets to teleport around like the WE though.

The Skinks got some cool new giant dinosaurs though.  

1 minute ago, argonak said:

The Skinks got some cool new giant dinosaurs though.  

They did but those can also be used by the rest of the LLs, Oxy just super buffs shitty skink units so that they are better than say temple guard. 

I think it’s quite interesting to use Oxy as some hit and run guerilla fighter, he has a lot of fast troops, allows for a different style of play. That’s the main thing that attracts me to it, though I already did that with Cult of Sotek so..

As for Ogre Kingdom, I’m almost certain that will be the pre order. I can only imagine they included it in the FLC because they had already done the work on the models for 3. It doesn’t make sense otherwise.

1 hour ago, Jon AS said:

I was thinking it might actually be the opposite: the mercenaries are our Ogre Kingdoms preview and the pre-order bonus will be a faction that slots into WH2 more easily, like Neferata. That way they'd avoid any of the forking issues that kept Norsca out of WH2 for so long after game launch.

I had imagined a pre-order faction to be one that will appear in the WH3 campaign map, not like the Norsca, which was a really a WH1 faction. I don't expect the grand campaign map combining all three games to be available for a while, so any pre-order race should be related to the WH3 campaign. So my point is, it can be any that has a place on the new map, and Ogres are the likeliest due to the models.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I had imagined a pre-order faction to be one that will appear in the WH3 campaign map, not like the Norsca, which was a really a WH1 faction. I don't expect the grand campaign map combining all three games to be available for a while, so any pre-order race should be related to the WH3 campaign. So my point is, it can be any that has a place on the new map, and Ogres are the likeliest due to the models.

Yeah, and Neferata would be at the western edge of the Dark Lands, so part of the WH3 base game map.

If it's a completely new faction I'd consider Chaos Dwarfs a strong contender, since they, too, could be added to the current ME map quite easily, whereas the Ogre Kingdoms are still a ways off in the east.

I finally got a quick look at the new DLC. Wow, they really changed the hell out of thr Beastmen. It may be actually be interesting playing with them. The new Lizardmen lord also seems to have an interesting campaign. And I look forward to try the Ogre mercs.

That being said, I feel that the Vortex campaign needs a general rework. CA has packed it with all kinds of factions now that don't give a shit about the Vortex, and have their own isolated goals. It breaks immersion when you're playing with one of these other factions and Chaos armies show up in your territory that you can't attack. They need to create some kind of tie ins. Though knowing CA, they'll likely just offer a disable feature button.

People have been asking for an option to disable the Vortex race pretty much since release, I wouldn't hold my breath for waiting for CA to finally implement it.

Besides, I don't think they're going to bother changing anything about the Vortex campaign when we're apparently less than six months from WH2 being supplanted by WH3. There'll still be a brief window before they release Mortal Empires 2.0 when the Vortex map will still have some relevancy to a significant number of players, but its days are definitely numbered.

I’ve mostly moved over to doing ME campaigns anyway, vortex is too stressful as it forces you in one direction too often, and the map feels cramped.

A bigger issue right now is that Heavy cav in the game is totally broken and can barely beat unbraced tier 1 infantry!

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

A bigger issue right now is that Heavy cav in the game is totally broken and can barely beat unbraced tier 1 infantry!

I've heard something about this. What exactly is going on? 

4 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

From what I can tell when they made a recent rebalance it screwed with some of the animations and physics. I think what is happening is that some infantry are performing far too many individual attacks on cavalry in the initial attack, and if they are armour piercing it can really wreck the cav, when instead they charge should knock them flying and run over them 
Add in all the other issues that cav have already, like getting a couple of horses stuck in a mass of zombies and it makes them practically useless.

I barely use cav as it is as I tend to forget they exist and leave them in a fight which is very bad for them 

On 7/18/2021 at 11:07 PM, Corvinus85 said:

If you counter charge a cav with a melee unit, you deal more damage to the cav lol

Been playing dinos first. I was really enjoying the skirmishing playstyle of Oxy and teleporting around kicking ass. Then piece of shit Naggarond declared war on me and got Rakarth to join the war. So now, instead of teleporting around the world kicking ass, I am trying to fight off two fronts of endless dark elf army with only one army. Extremely annoyed. I am having to pretty much wipe out Naggarond and take over the north.

Oracle unit is awesome. Really like it. Feel like I can finally use other type of lords than Life Slann thanks to the earthblood on Oracle.

Will play the stunties next i think.

Haven't played in a while, but started a new campaign with Octavian's Rome on Imperator Augustus campaign. So far I managed to establish some trading routes with barbarian factions and start a war against Pompey's Rome, conquering Syracuse. 

Considering I haven't purchased anything lately, I'd want to try something new. Not sure what.

30 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Haven't played in a while, but started a new campaign with Octavian's Rome on Imperator Augustus campaign. So far I managed to establish some trading routes with barbarian factions and start a war against Pompey's Rome, conquering Syracuse. 

Considering I haven't purchased anything lately, I'd want to try something new. Not sure what.

Which ones haven't you played?

9 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

I'd rather mention the few I played instead to be honest: Grand Campaign, Imperator Augustus, Caesar in Gaul.

I've been living in my TW bubble for a long time. 

For Rome II the Grand/Imperator campaigns are the best ones, imo. I bought on sale, but haven't played the Rise of Rome one which is just in Italy. 

But I was asking about Total War in general.

Still, if you want try something new but still part of Rome II, get the full conversion mod Divide Et Impera. It changes the game quite a bit, and is way more challenging than the vanilla.

29 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

For Rome II the Grand/Imperator campaigns are the best ones, imo. I bought on sale, but haven't played the Rise of Rome one which is just in Italy. 

But I was asking about Total War in general.

Still, if you want try something new but still part of Rome II, get the full conversion mod Divide Et Impera. It changes the game quite a bit, and is way more challenging than the vanilla.

Thanks Corvinus. Will try that one then. 

Yeah those are all I've played. I never played the first. 

Haha, so CA have finally realized that they screwed up their approach to Troy with the truth behind the myth approach. They have given in, and when the game finally comes to Steam on September 2, it will include an additional DLC and a massive free update which gives the players actual mythical units. Likely just reskins of Warhammer. So from their blog post, there will be three game modes: the current one with powerful, but not mythical, units and heroes, full mythical mode, and full historical mode.

So yep, we're getting Age of Mythology Total War.

I'm not sure we can still call it a saga game. It's got so much support compared to Thrones of Britannia.

6 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Haha, so CA have finally realized that they screwed up their approach to Troy with the truth behind the myth approach. They have given in, and when the game finally comes to Steam on September 2, it will include an additional DLC and a massive free update which gives the players actual mythical units. Likely just reskins of Warhammer. So from their blog post, there will be three game modes: the current one with powerful, but not mythical, units and heroes, full mythical mode, and full historical mode.

So yep, we're getting Age of Mythology Total War.

I'm not sure we can still call it a saga game. It's got so much support compared to Thrones of Britannia.

The DLC is very expensive, especially given the bulk of the changes are in the free patch.

Archived