CA's Total War: The Celtic-Han-Lizardmen alliance that never was

Corvinus85

Yeah the rifts are getting annoying. Pretty much need an army of heroes to close them ASAP. I wish there was fewer rifts but you can't close them, so you pretty much have to deal with the one that opens in your territory. It's pretty tedious at the moment.

Got my first soul. Brass Citadel was pretty cool, but i made it super hard for myself by not realising i have to click on the reinforcements to get them to come in. The final battle was rough, lucky i realised the reinforcement system in time to get some help in!

Turns out you have to devote 2-3 hours to finish the final battle. Fuck that.

I tried 3 times with Yao Ming to complete the final battle. The first two times I gave up because the odds of winning were diminishing strongly after each stage. Then I watched a YouTube video about cheezing to win. I tried that, realized I could go watch a movie in the meantime while my army was grinding away, so decided to give up. I don't know if I'll try again. Maybe just to complete the story.

Any other playthrough I do will stop short of this. 

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I tried 3 times with Yao Ming to complete the final battle. The first two times I gave up because the odds of winning were diminishing strongly after each stage. Then I watched a YouTube video about cheezing to win. I tried that, realized I could go watch a movie in the meantime while my army was grinding away, so decided to give up. I don't know if I'll try again. Maybe just to complete the story.

That is outrageous. I picked up on that from watching some Youtube streamers play the game. I simply don't have 2-3 hours to sit down and play a game in one go.. so what I can never play those battles? The survival battles have seemingly been unpopular since they were demoed last year, and I haven't heard much good stuff about them since. 

Finished the Cathay campaign. On normal difficulty the timer showed about 55min on the clock at the end, and with an army that was better suited for this kind of fighting I might have done better. Seems like the summoned Terracotta Sentinels did a lot of the heavy lifting, while e.g. my Sky Djunks performed pretty badly. Of course I only discovered I could replenish a unit's ammo without dismissing and summoning them back when the final boss was ready to keel over.

Overall not that terrible a fight, but I'd also resorted to auto-resolving a lot of fighting throughout the campaign, so I hadn't been completely ground down by endless siege battles.

Weirdly, the final boss became a legendary lord under my command after the campaign was done. Not sure if that was a bug, doesn't really fit the narrative.

Still, this is much worse mechanically than the Vortex. I'll probably try to figure out which factions I like best and maybe play a couple more full campaigns on higher difficulties. But if Mortal Empires dropped tomorrow I'd probably never touch this game mode again.

I finished the final battle with Yao Ming. I reduced the difficulty to easy because I didn't care. It is weird you get that lord to serve you. I'm not sure if it's for any new campaign I do with Yao Ming, or just if I continue the respective campaign. I wish there was more about the long lost sister, perhaps unlock her as a new LL.

I started a campaign with the Ice Court of Kislev. My goal is to get to where I can unlock the 3rd LL which requires holding the three main Kislevite cities.

My Kislev campaign is turning out to be a massive disaster. I have finally wrecked the Ogre and Norsca but I am suuuuuuper behind on souls. I got 1 soul, Cathay and Ogres have 3 each and the new rifts just opened up. I missed out on the second soul by one turn last time because Cathay took it (ragequit moment....).

I think this campaign is heading towards a loss, hard to catchup now. But I am continuing on to see how it goes as I am good 150 turns in. My last ditch effort is to go take out Ogres to the east before he gets his last soul (but damn its frigging far and i kinda closed all the rift in my territory.....sigh). Also sending out some heroes to Cathay to follow Miao Ying and see if i can close any rifts she tries to get into :lol:

The Disciples of the Maw starting position might be a good candidate for easiest in the game at the moment: you start out in the two provinces in the south-western corner of the map that are solely occupied by minor factions. Once you've secured the place (which takes ~8 turns) there are only two entrances you need to guard and can then basically do whatever the hell you want. You'll probably find yourself at war with most of the Empire factions sooner or later, as they don't like you and even getting convenient contracts is only going to keep them off your back for so long, but they don't exactly pose a massive threat to a well-fed horde of ogres.

The soul hunting remains annoying. Had a rival lord show up in the Tzeentch Domain several turns after I entered and still beat me to the punch as the AI knows the shortest route to the goal (I assume the teleporters here are randomised for every campaign, but I also didn't bother taking notes during my first campaign). At least with Khorne and Nurgle you can stop rival armies relatively easily and with Slaanesh it's a straightforward "first come, first served".

My disaster campaign has gotten worse. Ogres have all the souls, but luckily I can intercept them, so I am now camping out at the forge of souls waiting for him to come so I can kill him. I have sent two armies to Ogre mountain area so I can wipe him out. At this stage, I feel like painting the map will be quicker than getting 3 more souls (90 turns or so?).

Demon armies are getting super strong now though, so my Kossar stacks aren't able to keep up anymore. Need to transition to Ice Guard. I've managed to get 2 heroes and 1 lord with 30% war sled upkeep reduction traits, so trying to make a free meme war sled army to see how it goes.

1 hour ago, The Winged Shadow said:

My disaster campaign has gotten worse. Ogres have all the souls, but luckily I can intercept them, so I am now camping out at the forge of souls waiting for him to come so I can kill him. I have sent two armies to Ogre mountain area so I can wipe him out. At this stage, I feel like painting the map will be quicker than getting 3 more souls (90 turns or so?).

Demon armies are getting super strong now though, so my Kossar stacks aren't able to keep up anymore. Need to transition to Ice Guard. I've managed to get 2 heroes and 1 lord with 30% war sled upkeep reduction traits, so trying to make a free meme war sled army to see how it goes.

Have you tried War Bears.. so good against Ogres!

My Kislev campaign is going well considering my goal isn't really to go for the souls. But I did get one soul just in case my primary goal of uniting all of Kislev was going to be delayed. Then during another round of the rifts I went into Slaanesh's realm but got out near the end with a gift from Slaanesh - 60k gold + every character jumping by 15 levels!!! Katarin immediately jumped to the max level. :D

It's just me now and the Grand Orthodoxy among the Kislevite factions. We're allies so it's a matter of beating them to the supporters number. I'm winning that race mainly by constantly lowering their level by paying off supporters with devotion or money. The Empire factions are getting hammered by the ogres and whenever Chaos shows up. The Vampires are also a nuisance.

I have gone back to the game, mainly because I felt if I just gave minor settlement battles another go I might enjoy it more. 

So far my Kostaltyn campaign is ok, I managed to grab the first province, I'm enjoying being forced into using Kossars, even if I'm convinced they are pretty over powered for their price. Beardy Rasputin isn't great till he gets his war bear either.

The Devotion / Supporter mechanic is not good. It's non interactive really. You do a motherland thing and you might get more supporters but really the best way is just making more churches. You don't do much, just occasionally hit a button to spend money reducing the other sides supporters. Thats quite boring. If there was a way of playing that led to you getting more supporters then that would be fun.

But then it also becomes an annoyance because really you are railroaded into getting souls the whole time. It feels like the campaign map is an irrelevance. 

Kossars are the Lothern Sea Guard of WH3. Pretty OP. I still use them. Only now, fairly late game, i have started to phase few of them out for the gunners for AP damage. Specially for the settlement battles where i need the AP damage against armoured Ogres. Front line of Streltsi just shreds ogres. Bloody expensive units though. I feel like Ice Guards are still better as you can buff them more with traits and they are very good in melee (new Sisters of Avelorn/Shades essentially).

My campaign is still ongoing. Skrag will make a move for the portals again so i need to send Katarin to the forge ASAP. My two armies (bear stack with Boris and a "balanced" army of armoured kossar, normal kossar, Streltsi and little groms) are pushing in to ogre territory. Camapaign could end in the next two three turn depending on Skrag does. If he rushes the forge of souls next turn i am out of luck as Katarin is still a 2-3 turns away from the nearest rift. But if he doesn't I think I should be able to wipe him out before the rifts open again. 

My race with Cathay is going to be a lot tougher if the campaign makes it that far. I cockblocked Miao Ying last rift by taking the Tzeentch soul, but won't be able to do it again next rift. Plan is still to avoid war with her by closing all her portals haha

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I have gone back to the game, mainly because I felt if I just gave minor settlement battles another go I might enjoy it more. 

So far my Kostaltyn campaign is ok, I managed to grab the first province, I'm enjoying being forced into using Kossars, even if I'm convinced they are pretty over powered for their price. Beardy Rasputin isn't great till he gets his war bear either.

The Devotion / Supporter mechanic is not good. It's non interactive really. You do a motherland thing and you might get more supporters but really the best way is just making more churches. You don't do much, just occasionally hit a button to spend money reducing the other sides supporters. Thats quite boring. If there was a way of playing that led to you getting more supporters then that would be fun.

But then it also becomes an annoyance because really you are railroaded into getting souls the whole time. It feels like the campaign map is an irrelevance. 

The supporter mechanic comes from Troy which had a very similar mechanic for Hector and Paris competing for their dad's favor. Oddly, I think that one works better than this mainly because the received bonuses at every stage were better. But I do like how you have to consider which god you should do a motherland for depending on what you're doing. And I believe you can get supporter by beating Chaos armies so at least when the rifts open you have an additional reason to close them.

I've trigged the battle to save Boris Ursus with Katarin. Once I do that and unlock him I think I'll end my campaign. The ogres of Goldtooth are poised to win the soul race in my campaign.

200+ turns in and I have turned my campaign around. I wiped out Ogres and got 3 souls, which is same as Cathay. My second soul was same as Cathay's fourth soul, and I beat them to it by a couple of turns. I had 3 heroes following Miao Ying around closing any portals near her so she never managed to go into the last portal, so i managed to make it even. All the while going hard against Ogres. I got lucky during the third soul that I managed to catch Greasus while he was recruiting before he could get to portal. Killing him gave me a few turns to rush Nurgle's realm and then sit on the Forge (luckily he never really recovered enough to go to forge).

Plan is to rush the last soul and end this campaign. I've gotten to a point where I am just auto resolving everything cause i am bored. But i am too stubborn to not see it through after all that effort to turn things around

Also, fuck Tzeentch. Annoying piece of shit.

A lot of the Total war content creators seem to be coming out now to talk about the campaign and how to change it / improve it. Not surprising as I’m seeing some of them being 6 or 8 videos into a YouTube series yet barely managing 40 turns.

What seems quite popular is the idea of a quick fix to allow players to just switch off the narrative victory if they don’t want to play it.

A major complaint seems to be being forced to take part in the soul races makes replayability very low, and campaigns tedious. It also means that as a player you can’t really expand, as you need your major army to go through the rifts, leaving your realm relatively undefended.

I’ve already said it here before but I agree. I can’t play the game the way I’d like because it forces me into certain choices, which don’t feel very Total war and leaves almost no freedom to do what you want. It’s baffling because they seemed to learn from their mistakes with the Vortex campaigns for factions like Vampire Coast and Tomb Kings , creating mechanics and win conditions that weren’t railroads and didn’t make the player race other factions. But Realms of Chaos is like an amalgamation of all the worst parts of the Vortex 

There has been almost no word on the combined campaign so we might have to assume it’s not coming any time soon. This is quite disappointing, especially as I think the game needs quite a few fixes to be in good shape even before mortal empires gets released. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

A lot of the Total war content creators seem to be coming out now to talk about the campaign and how to change it / improve it. Not surprising as I’m seeing some of them being 6 or 8 videos into a YouTube series yet barely managing 40 turns.

What seems quite popular is the idea of a quick fix to allow players to just switch off the narrative victory if they don’t want to play it.

A major complaint seems to be being forced to take part in the soul races makes replayability very low, and campaigns tedious. It also means that as a player you can’t really expand, as you need your major army to go through the rifts, leaving your realm relatively undefended.

I’ve already said it here before but I agree. I can’t play the game the way I’d like because it forces me into certain choices, which don’t feel very Total war and leaves almost no freedom to do what you want. It’s baffling because they seemed to learn from their mistakes with the Vortex campaigns for factions like Vampire Coast and Tomb Kings , creating mechanics and win conditions that weren’t railroads and didn’t make the player race other factions. But Realms of Chaos is like an amalgamation of all the worst parts of the Vortex 

There has been almost no word on the combined campaign so we might have to assume it’s not coming any time soon. This is quite disappointing, especially as I think the game needs quite a few fixes to be in good shape even before mortal empires gets released. 

Yeah it's pretty much live vanilla Vortex. I agree that it's not the best but CA wanted to have a story for the campaign and I won't begrudge them that. I fully expect they'll add DLC races which may have their own story, but hopefully with the ability to close out rifts and not have a repeat of Vortex where Chaos armies wander and raid through your land and you can't attack them. The Chaos Dwarfs are likely to be the race-pack DLC and I would be surprised if they have a completely separate narrative from the already released races.

I would be shocked if they manage to get the combined map out this year considering how many of the old factions require integration with the new features. That being said, there have been videos of people who've data mined the game and we already have a decent idea how the combined map may look like. (It points to likelihood of having the Naggas of Kuresh and Tigermen of Ind eventually)

I think narrative campaigns are good, I probably played vortex campaigns more than mortal empires. The mechanics have to give you a level of freedom though, and not push you into playing one way. I actually really hate the chaos realms mechanic and it’s spoiling the game, along with tower defence modes.

Hopefully we can get the combined map in the next few months. It didn’t take too long with WH2, though the complexity has ramped up considerably since then

Turns out that disabling the gates (or more accurately: delaying them to a turn no normal campaign will ever reach) is just a matter of changing an integer in one single file. Won't give you different campaign objectives obviously, but I usuall get bored before reaching those in normal world conquest mode anyway, so I'm looking forward to some fairly standard games now.

On 2/24/2022 at 6:56 AM, Corvinus85 said:

What. It does not take 2-3 hours. Like, 1 hour tops for me, and I've beaten it three times. 

Archived