CA's Total War: The Celtic-Han-Lizardmen alliance that never was

Corvinus85

What's funny is that when CA did put in mechanics to make things more challenging in the late it only caused criticism. For example, in Rome II when the civil war is triggered you actually lose territory as various regions rise up in rebellion. I don't know why that was a problem. After all, this how civil wars tended to go. And mods do it, too, but it's fine when they do it.

14 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

What's funny is that when CA did put in mechanics to make things more challenging in the late it only caused criticism. For example, in Rome II when the civil war is triggered you actually lose territory as various regions rise up in rebellion. I don't know why that was a problem. After all, this how civil wars tended to go. And mods do it, too, but it's fine when they do it.

I think that is because losing all the stuff you've gained during a game is a very frustrating and annoying thing to happen for a player. Nobody really likes it and it means you kind of need to start again.

Bringing it back to CK3, a lot of new players hate that they lose all their territory when their player dies because it gets split up between children. They game does allow you ways to prevent it or to get it back quickly, and also because the game isn't just about gaining territory its not so frustrating. But in total war, losing stuff is not fun. 

I find it keep getting drawn back to the game despite wanting to just wait for the patch.

Ive found playing as other factions has made it more enjoyable, as actually the play style does feel a little different for each.

Where as I initially didn’t like Nurgle because it was so slow and felt weak, I’m now really loving them. 

Before I found that they had no attack power, buildings were super expensive and they had almost no settlement defences. But actually they have massive advantages

Nurglings are incredibly cheap and with buffs and bonuses seem pretty OP. That I can lose any entire army and recruit a new one almost instantaneously is pretty OP too.

With Kargath I can steamroll everyone with an army made up of about 12+ nurglings and maybe some toads or rot flies. The trick is to just form up in a tight blob formation and let the enemy attack you. Using his debut AOEspells you barely take any damage, and nurglings just don’t seem to die, I don’t know why. 

Even against missile heavy factions like Kislev you can just vanguard deploy almost on top of them and they don’t have a chance.

Plus creating plagues is fun

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out that playing Warhammer III with the mod that disables the rifts is more boring and a bit harder for the economy, depending on which faction you choose. Without earning battle loot from destroying Daemon armies when closing rifts your economy may have a harder time getting going. I think this is true of Kislev which really needs a restructuring of its settlement organization and research tree. And while each of the 4 monogod Chaos factions have interesting mechanics, I really dislike their limited rosters. OTOH, playing with the undivided faction feels really superficial as 90% of the focus is one one character like playing a regular RPG.

But anyway, I decided to go back to Warhammer II and do a proper Vortex campaign, just to refresh it in my mind in terms of gameplay and narrative. I chose Mazdamundi. (I think I only ever beat it with Tyrion) I've also got a few mods installed, one being the one that allows you to gain all the immortal lords and heroes from vanquished factions of the same race and one that allows you to respec your characters' skills once per campaign. Thus, I gained access to Nakai and Oxyotl, as their factions were destroyed. Then later I confederated with the Cult of Sotek, so got Tehenhauin. Of course, this spread my empire in various broken parts of Lustria, making it more challenging to defend. 

Things were going well with the Vortex rituals until near the end of the 3rd ritual. I was in a close race with the High Elves. They were faster by 2 turns, but I'm sure I would have caught up, when I lost one settlement with ONE TURN TO GO!!! 

As I said, my empire is all broken up. I control the entire isthmus of Lustria were Mazdamundi starts along with what's directly north and most of the south parts of it. I destroyed Luthor Harkon and took over the coastline where he starts. And having confederated with the Cult of Sotek, I got the south-western coast of Lustria. And that's where the weakness is right now. The rest of Lustria is divided between the other major players. All the Skaven confederated in Lustria in one faction under Clan Pestilens. Itza, my ally has been fighting a furious war against them in the south-central region, and I've been assisting wherever possible.

So now to the trouble that befell my campaign - One of the ritual cities was in the south. I assembled an army to guard it with Tehenhuain in command. Mazdamundi defended the capital city but no Chaos army got even close. Another city was the former vampiric city, The Awakening, and I had Oxyotl there. I also sent Nakai to help. With Oxyotl, I successfully defended the city in a battle which I fought because the auto-resolve said valiant defeat. Then Nakai arrived, and the random spawning Skaven army that was also there got obliterated between my two lords and then I mopped up the leftovers. However, having fought these battles I got tired and lazy so when Tehenhauin's turn came to defend his city, I auto-resolved which was a pyrrhic victory with severe losses. On top of that, Clan Pestilens had managed to unleash a plague upon the city, so instead of replenishing, my army was suffering attrition. I decided to remove the army from the city in the hopes of the plague effects ending and was trying to find some luck on the sea with something that may offer relief. Unfortunately, Pestilens then pounced on the city and took it with one turn of the ritual left. I immediately restarted the ritual next turn, but I guess I will have to rely on intervention armies to slow down the elves. A shame, because until now the relations were cordial, if not exactly friendly. And Teclis has been brazenly trespassing on my lands, so I'll have to be ready.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/twwh3-roadmap-2022/

CA released their 2022 roadmap today.

Some interesting stuff in there. So apart from the upcoming bug fixes to things that actually I thought they had already fixed, like unit mass and flying units, they will hopefully fix the auto resolve issue which I feel is actually pretty game breaking currently. 

But the big news is that firstly Q3 will see the release FINALLY of the Immortal Empires grand map campaign, if only in Beta testing, but it's still something. Right now this is the one thing holding my interest in the game and hopefully it will make a huge improvement to the game.

The big frustration here is just how long it's going to take to get to that point. Clearly CA have realised they have messed up quite hard with this game, losing so many players, which is probably one of the reasons they have pushed ahead to give people fluff like Regiments of Renown.

The second big news I guess is the update to Chaos from WH1 and WH2. This is also a very good thing as those factions are now the least fleshed out and boring and need a real rework. On top of that it looks like we will get 4 new lords in a lord pack, probably one for each chaos god.

Looking forward to these changes, but still a bit annoyed at how long it will take and just how many issues still need to be ironed out in the game. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

But the big news is that firstly Q3 will see the release FINALLY of the Immortal Empires grand map campaign, if only in Beta testing, but it's still something. Right now this is the one thing holding my interest in the game and hopefully it will make a huge improvement to the game.

Not soon enough but realistically faster than I expected. 

• 1 month later...

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/intro-to-immortal-empires/

So Immortal Empires should be with us in August, and it can't come soon enough for a lot of players. I've gone back to the game and sort of enjoy it, but it's not going to feel complete till IE arrives.

IE is being called a Beta, but it will have everything in it, it just might be buggy and imbalanced, and I'll be happy with that. I'm also excited that they are giving lord new start positions, and improving victory conditions so they feel more organic, hopefully smaller and more achievable.

A brief list of the highlighted changes are:

• Access all 86 Legendary Lords from all three Total War: WARHAMMER titles.
  • Be’Lakor is now a Legendary Lord with his own faction.
  • Dedicated factions for a number of the older Legendary Lords, including: Grombrindal, Helman Ghorst, and Volkmar the Grim.
  • New starting locations for 29 of the older Legendary Lords.
  • Improved personal faction mechanics for a selection of the older Legendary Lords (such as Volkmar the Grim).
  • A new ‘Sea Lanes’ feature, which allow you to move armies between distant lands and continents—from one side of the map to the other—without leapfrogging them all the way across the map.
  • New dynamic end-game scenarios: randomised mid- to late-game challenges we’re introducing to challenge the late-game steamroll—where the player is so powerful that there’s little-to-no challenge left and less of a reason to complete the campaign. Think Greenskin invasions or resurgences of the undead, as a few examples…
  • Revamped victory conditions. Most players don’t end up finishing campaigns, and we want to give them better reasons—and a greater level of satisfaction—for doing so. As such, we’ve simplified the victory requirements into more meaningful objectives while avoiding any arbitrary playstyle requirements.

The new map.

Per the blog, this will be the largest map for any TW game, thus Empire Total War is finally beaten. It will be nearly twice the size of the Mortal Empires map which was also one of the largest ever, I think only second to Empire.

The Ind and Kuresh landmasses will not be accessible, but their mention alone suggests future plans, assuming Games Workshop decides to pursue development of those races.

You can see on the map where sea lanes points are, color matched. A curious one are the points that link north-east Naggaroth to the Istmus of Lustria, because there is an underground sea there, kinda like the World Roots for land masses.

As we know, quite a few legendary lords will be moved and they strongly hinted at Lokhir being moved all the way to the eastern coast of Cathay, and Oxyotl may be moved to the southern Chaos Wastes.

It does look ridiculous in a way I never thought official CA would ever go. I wish they could keep the landmass proportions correct to the actual world map, but it gets the job done, and I wonder if it's getting to thinking how to do a real world global map for something like Empire 2.

I’m excited that there are southern wastes, wasn’t expecting that. 

The sheer size of the map is great, but also I’m concerned about performance. Right  is WH3 can tend to chug along quite slowly, especially when rifts open, I’d like to see a lot of performance improvements as well .

Also, the Sea lanes aren’t quite what I expected, it makes sense for them to allow players to go from one side of the map to the other, but the lack of them in the middle means it’s not something, say the Empire would really get to use.

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Also, the Sea lanes aren’t quite what I expected, it makes sense for them to allow players to go from one side of the map to the other, but the lack of them in the middle means it’s not something, say the Empire would really get to use.

I'm curious how they'll reconcile the sea lanes with the high seas attrition mechanic. Will the sea lanes travel have events like Cathay's caravans to make them more interesting? It does look like they squeezed Ulthuan even more between the continents so at least there is less water there. The Empire is just going to have to fight it out to get to Lustria or the southern tip of the Southlands. 

• 2 weeks later...

lol, the CA giveth and the CA taketh away. The new patch released today has made a number of needed fixes. But CA also decided to allow all range units to be able to fire through friendly units are in their line of sight at full throttle. The noob square is stronger than ever.

6 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

lol, the CA giveth and the CA taketh away. The new patch released today has made a number of needed fixes. But CA also decided to allow all range units to be able to fire through friendly units are in their line of sight at full throttle. The noob square is stronger than ever.

Hahah, I saw that! Its one of the most baffling choices they’ve ever made. How long before they made a hot fix to sort that out 

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

This has me hyped. Many hours will be spent on this game.

CA have done a really good job building momentum on the release of IE, maybe even better than when they released the game itself. I've been basing my day each week on when a new reveal of a Chaos Champion or IE start position is going to be. In reality none of it was all that exciting but somehow I now cannot wait to play the game.

Seeing the map itself maybe dampened my expectations, I know that people have moved and really the map isn't a ton different to the one in WH2. 

I really cannot wait to play as Warriors of Chaos, any of them, or just playing as any of the factions from the base game that seemed completely out of place in the race for Ursun's soul, like Ogres and Cathay. I never could get into any of their campaigns because it seemed so unthematic. But with new IE win conditions and a more sandbox feel I can really get into it.

15 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

I'm very much looking forward to Volkmars campaign.  What is he going to get from the books? 

I do wonder how easy his campaign is going to be and how well will AI Volkmar fare. Without the buffer of other Empire states, he might get cleared off the board quickly. Wulfhart at least has the Empire reinforcements and the unique heroes. Volkmar needs something to give him a chance.

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I do wonder how easy his campaign is going to be and how well will AI Volkmar fare. Without the buffer of other Empire states, he might get cleared off the board quickly. Wulfhart at least has the Empire reinforcements and the unique heroes. Volkmar needs something to give him a chance.

It kind of depends what updates they make to Empire units. I've seen a few videos now comparing WH3 units vs their WH1 equivalents, and it's not always good. Demigryph knights get slaughtered by most of the newer heavy cav. 

Volkmar I hope can just spam out flagellants, and buff them up. It depends how good the AI is with their skill trees, I used to be terrified looking at what the AI would pick for their characters when confederating.

Archived