U.S. Politics: That's too bad for Carrots

Mr. Chatywin et al.

I can say Medicaid/Medicare fraud does get punished from time to time.  Used to have a big clinic here, the poorer folks first choice for everything from UA's to...assorted minor to moderate treatments/procedures.  They were real big into Medicaid/Medicare...and as it turned out Medicaid/Medicare fraud.  They got caught and went out of business - there's a smaller clinic at that location now.  Attitude was they were crooks gaming the system.  

Same attitude towards a 'Doctor Feelgood type whose crimes caught up with him - lot of jumpy addicts when he got put away.   

It's pretty laughable that people are freaking out about benefits fraud. In the case of California, they paid out roughly 140 million in benefits to these prisoners. That is out of 71.4 billion dollars, which means that this fraud accounted for .002% of the amount that California has paid out that is so infinitesimal that it could have been a fucking rounding error. Do you know how many people California employs to investigate unemployment fraud? 17. That's 17 people to investigate 11 million or so unemployment claims. The fact that they were even able to catch these even on a second pass is frankly remarkable. Beyond that, why do you think that most government agencies are unable to cross reference things? It's because they are running on old out of date software that they are using because it is too expensive for them to do a full change over to a new system. Next time someone complains about fraud, ask them why the state is so underfunded that it can't afford to hire more than 17 people to investigate fraud.

A large number of states have balanced budget amendments on the books, so they can't deficit spend. I think a lot of people don't really understand just how underfunded most states are, and in a time of crisis such as this, they are even doubly so, and in states like Florida where they make it as hard as possible to access social programs, they are stretched even thinner, gotta keep a lean government, am I right *smiles in reptilian*.

The American people's obsession with benefits fraud comes down to a culture of racism encouraged by pieces of shit like Lee Atwater and perpetuated by racists such as Regan. Here's what Atwater said in 1968

You start out in 1954 by saying, “N*****, n*****, n*****.” By 1968 you can’t say “n*****”—that hurts you, backfires. So you say stuff like, uh, forced busing, states’ rights, and all that stuff, and you’re getting so abstract. Now, you’re talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you’re talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is, blacks get hurt worse than whites.… “We want to cut this,” is much more abstract than even the busing thing, uh, and a hell of a lot more abstract than “N*****, n*****.”

I'm sorry, but I'm going to keep calling out racism, because with shit like this, it's the only way a lot of these hogs will realize that they are being racist, how they take it is entirely up to them.

ETA: This is not to say that benefits fraud aren't an issue, just that it is extremely complicated.

6 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

It's pretty laughable that people are freaking out about benefits fraud. In the case of California, they paid out roughly 140 million in benefits to these prisoners. That is out of 71.4 billion dollars, which means that this fraud accounted for .002% of the amount that California has paid out that is so infinitesimal that it could have been a fucking rounding error. 

140 million is 0.2 percent of 71 billion, not .002 percent.  Defrauding the government of 140 million is big deal, I'm not really sure why you're acting like it's not.

17 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

140 million is 0.2 percent of 71 billion, not .002 percent.  Defrauding the government of 140 million is big deal, I'm not really sure why you're acting like it's not.

Ummmm, I think you need to check your math? 

Give me a second, I’ll triple check...

Sorry! Right!

eta 2: I actually came here to say I heard there were concerns that the amount could go as high as a billion dollars. 

5 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Ummmm, I think you need to check your math? 

Give me a second, I’ll triple check...

Sorry! Right!

eta 2: I actually came here to say I heard there were concerns that the amount could go as high as a billion dollars. 

16 hours ago, Lollygag said:

They do, but the problem also lies in a misunderstanding about culture.

Some folks aren't cut out for college and are more suited to working with their hands and this is no defect or any reflection on intelligence. My brother started college and did so well in his English classes that his prof wanted him to publish as an undergrad but he's now much happier in a physical job. Luckily, he's found a good one with good benefits.  This is a bit out there but I'll say it anyhow. When you're from an infinite line of farmers who have genetically adapted to that, I think that expecting certain folks to jump to a desk job is going to be a problem. I just see it so often and experience it personally, too.

Need to be careful about implying anything like we're going to educate you so you can get a sissy pants  desk job in an office because you're stupid and defective and the work you and your ancestors have done is backward and has no value. The anti-intellectualism and now Trumpism has been heavily fed by Dems coming across like this.

That is absolutely not what I'm driving at. As you are surely aware, post-secondary education in the U.S. is prohibitively expensive these days, which I'm sure poses a huge hurdle for many young people who want to go to college or university, but simply can't afford it. Removing that hurdle by whatever means possible is what I'm talking about.

2 hours ago, Ser Reptitious said:

As you are surely aware, post-secondary education in the U.S. is prohibitively expensive these days, which I'm sure poses a huge hurdle for many young people who want to go to college or university, but simply can't afford it. Removing that hurdle by whatever means possible is what I'm talking about.

But you still need to be careful not to offend people about their employment just because they don't have a sissy pants desk job.  It's very important not to use offensive language about people's jobs.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

With a Republican controlled Senate? 

Thinking about it, it's not the most ridiculous suggestion if you wanna be pessimistic/fatalistic about things.  (To be clear, I'm not in any way endorsing the following or think it's anything but entertaining a completely unrealistic hypothetical.)  The Dems are, of course, inherently disadvantaged in the midterms.  Although that disadvantage is naturally less grave in the Senate than in the House - and indeed the Dems may well have a better chance of taking the Senate than keeping the House in 2022 - it's hardly something Biden should count on.  And then, in 2024, the Dems have to defend 23 of the 33 seats that are up. 

So in all likelihood, even if Biden/Harris win in 2024, you're looking at 2027 at the earliest, which will be based on this past cycle's map in which you only gained one seat at the moment.  By that time, Breyer will be pushing 89.  Seems more prudent to carpe diem right now, challenge McConnell to block a floor vote for an entire presidential term, and in the meantime lobby the Romney/Collins/Murkowski trio with a Garland-esque compromise pick.

Where's the Republican outrage over, well, all those Big Beautiful Wall contracts that are flimsy bs at best and nothing at all generally, yet figures like rethug ND corporation got Billions, literally, of tax payers' money money.  Wheres the Repub outrage for Trump himself managing to siphon millions of taxpayers' into his own business and operations? Not to mention him giving government contracts to hosts of bs pharm companies for antidotes to covid-19, in which he himself is invested?  And that's just for starters. Where O Where is the REPUBLICAN OUTRAGE?

Also where o where are his tax returns?  Where is the REPUBLICAN OUTRAGE, hmmmnmmmm?

So, lolly, give it a rest.  You cannot win - convince with M4A outrage here.

7 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Math aside, it's not actually that big of a number in the grand scheme of things. My point was more so about the massive numbers that we are working with here, and how underfunded and understaffed the regulatory body that oversees the program is. Complaining about waste and fraud while perpetuating the circumstances that allow for it is silly. I work with government agencies so I understand that these people are doing their damnedest to keep everything ticking along with the resources they have

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Thinking about it, it's not the most ridiculous suggestion if you wanna be pessimistic/fatalistic about things.  (To be clear, I'm not in any way endorsing the following or think it's anything but entertaining a completely unrealistic hypothetical.)  The Dems are, of course, inherently disadvantaged in the midterms.  Although that disadvantage is naturally less grave in the Senate than in the House - and indeed the Dems may well have a better chance of taking the Senate than keeping the House in 2022 - it's hardly something Biden should count on.  And then, in 2024, the Dems have to defend 23 of the 33 seats that are up. 

So in all likelihood, even if Biden/Harris win in 2024, you're looking at 2027 at the earliest, which will be based on this past cycle's map in which you only gained one seat at the moment.  By that time, Breyer will be pushing 89.  Seems more prudent to carpe diem right now, challenge McConnell to block a floor vote for an entire presidential term, and in the meantime lobby the Romney/Collins/Murkowski trio with a Garland-esque compromise pick.

Then why not wait until 2022, when the odds seem better (in terms of the Senate - the House being irrelevant as far as SC nominations go)?

Alternatively, is retiring before confirmation hearings for a replacement can take place legally mandated, or is it another norm? Because if it’s the latter, then couldn’t Breyer simply announce his retirement pending the nomination of a successful replacement? Meaning that if the Republicans block Biden’s nominee, he simply stays in place, and in case they block/delay until they regain control of the Senate, he simply withdraws his ‘offer’ to retire altogether? 

After all, the Republicans/Trump have broken so many norms already, it would seem almost milquetoast for a Democrat to break this one (especially given that there would be a very good & understandable reason in this case)!

Then why not wait until 2022, when the odds seem better (in terms of the Senate - the House being irrelevant as far as SC nominations go)?

It'd certainly be my preference to try and net one or two seats in 2022 so Biden wouldn't have to rely on choosing a nominee that would have to get the vote of Collins, Murkowski, and/or Romney - especially considering that cycle (class 3) looks to be the most favorable for Dems to pick up seats right now.  However, the obvious counterargument would be it's still almost certainly less than a 50/50 chance the Dems net any seats two years from now and McConnell/the GOP leadership will undoubtedly wait out a vacancy for only two years instead of four.

Alternatively, is retiring before confirmation hearings for a replacement can take place legally mandated, or is it another norm?

Well, as far as I know, there's nothing written down that would explicitly prevent Breyer and Biden from at least trying this if they were inclined to do so.  Breyer could announce he's retiring contingent on his replacement receiving a floor vote then Biden could appoint that replacement.  Problem is, this still requires cooperation from McConnell.  Why wouldn't he just say such a maneuver is unprecedented and he refuses to be dictated to in such a way by the Biden administration?  Politically, that's a hell of a lot less risky than McConnell taking the position that he's gonna block a floor vote to fill a vacancy for a president's entire term.

Oh, happy Thanksgiving y'all. I imagine 51.0% of you had quite a big thing to give thanks for today, so I am happy for you. I hope 47.1% of you also managed to find something to be thankful for. I'm guessing 2.1% of you managed to find something to be thankful for.

Sparing a thought for the families of 0.8% who didn't make it to Thanksgiving, most of them unnecessarily, and can hopefully find thanks with those loved ones who still remain.

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Oh, happy Thanksgiving y'all. I imagine 51.0% of you had quite a big thing to give thanks for today, so I am happy for you. I hope 47.1% of you also managed to find something to be thankful for. I'm guessing 2.1% of you managed to find something to be thankful for.

Sparing a thought for the families of 0.8% who didn't make it to Thanksgiving, most of them unnecessarily, and can hopefully find thanks with those loved ones who still remain.

All things considered, for a lot of families, it was probably a blessing that they couldn't get together.

(I did really enjoy my cousins' kids fooling around with their filters though as we face timed. Weirdos!)

I got to thinking today that it must be odd that, once Biden is inaugurated, the president's successor will be older than him for the second time in a row.  Since I'm just that bored, I decided to look it up, and yielded some incredibly pointless presidential trivia I thought I'd share with you wonderful people:

The president's successor has been older than him 14 times, starting - somewhat interestingly or even appropriately - with Andrew Jackson succeeding John Quincy Adams.  Jackson was a little less than 4 months older. 

Six of the fourteen were these type of minimal differences, about two years or less.  Another four (including Trump to Biden) were between about four and nine years.  James K. Polk to Zachary Taylor was almost exactly 11 years.

The last three?  Franklin Pierce to James Buchanan was exactly 13 years and 7 months.  Jimmy Carter to Ronald Reagan was about 13 years and 8 months.  Barack Obama to Donald Trump was 15 years, 1 month, and 21 days.

The only other time a president was succeeded by someone older than him twice in a row was Teddy Roosevelt to William Howard Taft to Woodrow Wilson.  The difference between Roosevelt and Wilson was about 1 year and 10 months.  The difference between Obama and Biden?  18 years and nearly 9 months.

Archived