U.S. Politics: That's too bad for Carrots

Mr. Chatywin et al.

On 11/25/2020 at 4:10 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

I'm being an elitist, suburban/urban elitist and looking down my nose at anything that isn't a city or it's surrounding area.  Rural? Bah. 

Don't make me give you the Crivitz middle finger. There are plenty of us decent folk out in the forest doanchano!:D

Eta: Keep in mind the creature Trump is a product of the urban environs!

Wow, I just caught Trump's press conference on replay on CNN and the guy is stark, raving mad, saying that hundreds of thousands, not thousands, of phony ballots were submitted in various states. And he easily won every state in dispute.

"No way could Biden get 80 M votes. He couldn't beat Clinton and I creamed Clinton".

This shit is going to go on and on and he is going to try to overturn the election.

47 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Wow, I just caught Trump's press conference on replay on CNN and the guy is stark, raving mad, saying that hundreds of thousands, not thousands, of phony ballots were submitted in various states. And he easily won every state in dispute.

"No way could Biden get 80 M votes. He couldn't beat Clinton and I creamed Clinton".

This shit is going to go on and on and he is going to try to overturn the election.

Do you think he even knows that Clinton and Biden would not run against each other in a General?

I'm enjoying the meltdown, to be honest. The master troll is being trolled.

1 minute ago, Martell Spy said:

Do you think he even knows that Clinton and Biden would not run against each other in a General?

I was wondering if he knows the only time Biden ran against either Clinton - the 2008 primary - neither of them won.

7 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, as far as I know, there's nothing written down that would explicitly prevent Breyer and Biden from at least trying this if they were inclined to do so.  Breyer could announce he's retiring contingent on his replacement receiving a floor vote then Biden could appoint that replacement.  Problem is, this still requires cooperation from McConnell.  Why wouldn't he just say such a maneuver is unprecedented and he refuses to be dictated to in such a way by the Biden administration?  Politically, that's a hell of a lot less risky than McConnell taking the position that he's gonna block a floor vote to fill a vacancy for a president's entire term.

I was thinking about that as well, and I think the only way to perhaps get McConnell to go along with it would be if the proposed nominee is fairly centrist (a Merrick Garland type, although for symbolic reasons I don't think McConnell at this point would ever agree to Garland himself) and the Democrats threaten to otherwise nominate a young and very progressive judge if they capture the Senate in 2022 (at which point Breyer could retire in the normal way of things, without needing any cooperation from freshly-minted minority leader McConnell).

It would be a pretty unhappy compromise for both sides (neither the Republicans nor the Democrats - particularly the progressive wing - will want a centrist), but McConnell might go for it if he feels reasonably certain that the Republicans will lose the Senate in 2022, and the Democrats might go for it in order to head off another RBG scenario with Breyer dying at a very inconvenient time while still on the court.

If the Democrats manage to gain at least one of the Georgia seats, I could see McConnell being open to this, given that the Democrats would need to only pick up a single seat in the very favourable 2022 cycle to capture the Senate. However, the Democrats might actually be more reluctant in such a scenario to go through with this and instead gamble on 2022. Personally I'd lean that way too. 

5 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

I'm enjoying the meltdown, to be honest. The master troll is being trolled.

This Troll has power for another 5 Scaramucci’s.  I’m worried he’s going to try to use it.

What amazed me about that press conference was the idea that this is what the orange one did for Thanksgiving Day. I had seen the Bidens give their very gracious and concerned TD message earlier in the day, and the contrast is as huge as you could possibly imagine.

Listening to Trump bitch about Biden daring to pick a cabinet was grotesque. Yet I also imagine a shocking number of Americans agreeing with him.

"Poll watchers are sacred in this country! People don't knnow what a poll watcher is."

"You're a lightweight. Don't talk to me that way." Classy as ever!

Yeah, he's never going to stop and his enablers won't go away.

John Delaney, one of the Democratic candidates for the presidential nomination, was just interviewed on CNN. I jcaught him by chance. He made a very interesting suggestion - pay people $1,500 for getting the Covid-19 vaccine.

I really think that could work. You get the vaccine out and you get stimulus out at the same time, and I sure bet you encourage more people to get vaccinated.

Did American Democracy Really Hold? Maybe Not.
Donald Trump didn’t manage to overthrow the electoral system. But he’s drawn a clear road map for breaking it.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/11/25/did-american-democracy-really-hold-maybe-not-440595

2. Make sure local and state officials are loyal
A thought exercise: Replay the events of the past week with a different cast.

Americans have long had the luxury of taking the machinery of democracy for granted—but suddenly we know all too well that the votes are counted and certified by specific individuals, with names and phone numbers and, in some cases, strong political loyalties. Imagine the state canvassing board in Michigan if both Republican members had been committed Trumpists. Imagine, next time, a Georgia secretary of state and governor who owe their political careers to a Donald Trump actively seeking the 2024 GOP nomination, or to a candidate with the full-throated support of his followers. Imagine the same officials in Arizona or Wisconsin, where Biden won by far slimmer margins. The capacity to gum up the machinery of counting and validating votes, maybe even nudge it the other direction, would increase dramatically. If nothing else, Republicans—who control a majority of statehouses in the U.S.—now know precisely where to exert political muscle to ensure that loyalists hold those jobs.

Trump and his minions are already threatening primary challenges against officials who’ve argued on behalf of accepting the election results, or who have refused to step in to reverse the votes in Trump’s favor. Georgia’s secretary of state and governor are already in the crosshairs; Trump himself has threatened to support primary challengers against Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski and Ohio Governor Mike Dewine for such heresies. It will come as no surprise if the GOP legislative leaders in Pennsylvania and Michigan are targets of primary campaigns in 2022.

If the conviction of GOP voters that the 2020 election was stolen remains firm, these “heretics” could find themselves out of office come 2024—and that election machinery could be in the hands of far more pliable public officials.

50 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Did American Democracy Really Hold? Maybe Not.
Donald Trump didn’t manage to overthrow the electoral system. But he’s drawn a clear road map for breaking it.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/11/25/did-american-democracy-really-hold-maybe-not-440595

My feeling remains that unless we attack the real problem, the disinformation and propaganda (whether the source is your grandma on facebook or fox news) that is making our differences seem like vast chasms instead of bridgeable gaps, we're going to head for increased violence, insurgency, and eventual civil war.

11 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

World reaction?

‘Mini desk. Tiny hands. Small soul’: Trump mocked for giving speech at little table
#DiaperDon trends on Twitter after outgoing president’s furniture steals limelight

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/27/mini-desk-trump-mocked-speech-little-table-diaperdon-twitter-president-furniture

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/nov/27/trumps-furniture-fail-desk-donald-table-tv-dinners

:D

I don't know it's a great idea at all to tie stimulus relief to the vaccine.  For one thing, there are nowhere near enough doses to go around anytime soon.  Why complicate things by linking them?  Just do a relief bill asap and get the vaccines out ASAP, but I cannot see any benefit to linking them.  Maybe pay like $200 or something but if it's $1500 it's going to be used as an excuse why we don't need more stimulus, and most people will be waiting another 6 months to a year for it.  If they can pass a UBI type stimulus or more UI benefits immediately, sure, tack on a bonus for the vaccine late this spring or summer.  

13 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I don't know it's a great idea at all to tie stimulus relief to the vaccine.  For one thing, there are nowhere near enough doses to go around anytime soon.  Why complicate things by linking them?  Just do a relief bill asap and get the vaccines out ASAP, but I cannot see any benefit to linking them.  Maybe pay like $200 or something but if it's $1500 it's going to be used as an excuse why we don't need more stimulus, and most people will be waiting another 6 months to a year for it.  If they can pass a UBI type stimulus or more UI benefits immediately, sure, tack on a bonus for the vaccine late this spring or summer.  

I don't believe there will be another stimulus bill.  I expect McConnell will want to ensure Biden's presidency is a failure, so the GOP can nab the House in 2022.  And then they can completely stonewall him until 2024.  I will also be surprised if there isn't a government shutdown as one last Christmas present from Trump.

The US 3rd Cir. Court of appeals has denied the Trump Campaign appeal.  

https://electionlawblog.org/wp-content/uploads/3rd-trump.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0ZrCSpcNfRJ-futw_LQYtHjygFpIerN03M_Ps0gSK7hb48nXDw2bWlcDU

All the Trump Campaign was asking for was leave to have another opportunity to amend it’s complaint.  The 3rd said no.  A hard no.  The Trump Campaign can petition for Certiorari to the US Supreme Court.  If Cert is denied... it’s over.  :)

Archived