U.S. Politics: That's too bad for Carrots

Mr. Chatywin et al.

3 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Donald Trump didn’t manage to overthrow the electoral system. But he’s drawn a clear road map for breaking it.

I didn't read the article, but I have to thoroughly disagree with everything you bolded.  There's no point to imagine a future where local GOP officials are committed Trumpists - they already are.  And imagining if the Georgia governor and SoS owe their political careers to Trump or his replacement?  Um, that's literally what they were/are.  Especially with Kemp.  Biden did not win by slimmer margins in Arizona and Wisconsin compared to Georgia, this is simply inaccurate - the margin was slimmer in Georgia.  

And then the final point, the "capacity to gum up the machinery" and the GOP just now knowing "precisely where to exert political muscle" somehow "dramatically increasing"?  This is absurd.  The GOP has been doing this for decades, really generations, and indeed has been extraordinarily successful in doing so for the past decade or so.  If anything the inability of Trump to gain any traction demonstrates the limits of such efforts - albeit, granted, if a candidate (and especially incumbent) developed/employed a more competent and cohesive strategy it certainly could be more successful.  But that was the case before Trump anyway.  The fact is, the federalism and decentralization of administrating elections makes any vast right-wing conspiracy like this virtually impossible, or at least unbelievably difficult, to execute.

2 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

I don't know it's a great idea at all to tie stimulus relief to the vaccine.  For one thing, there are nowhere near enough doses to go around anytime soon.  Why complicate things by linking them?  Just do a relief bill asap and get the vaccines out ASAP, but I cannot see any benefit to linking them.  Maybe pay like $200 or something but if it's $1500 it's going to be used as an excuse why we don't need more stimulus, and most people will be waiting another 6 months to a year for it.

Strongly agree with this on all counts.  Tying direct payments to anything, and especially vaccines, undercuts the Democratic position and only aids the GOP in stimulus negotiations.  And substantively there's the very possibility and even likelihood that such a policy would be quite regressive, once again screwing over the poor, disenfranchised, and those most vulnerable.  Dunno why you're fantasizing about UBI though.

2 hours ago, argonak said:

I expect McConnell will want to ensure Biden's presidency is a failure, so the GOP can nab the House in 2022.

Completely blocking any stimulus works at cross-purposes to seeking gains in the midterms.  It gives Dems a bat and ball on blaming GOP obstructionism and feeds into your side sharing blame attribution among the electorate.  The trick is to make the actual stimulus bill that's passed as toothless and unhelpful as possible (plus mostly directed to your donor base to boot) while only having Collins and Romney vote for it, so everybody else can say they were personally against it but the GOP was magnanimous in giving Biden the opportunity to fix things and he utterly failed.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Oh lordy, lordy, lordy!

Trump has tweeted today that Biden can only enter the WH if he, Biden, can prove his 80 M votes weren’t fraudulent.

"Authority is not given to you to deny the return of Joe, Donald." - Gandalf circa 2020.

19 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m seeing more and more Trumpanistas talking about “storming the White House” and threatening civil war.

I can totally see them watching White House Down on an endless loop in preparation and imagining themselves as Channing Tatum.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I was waiting for shoggoth to have his "I am the king" moment.

Guess he's just heard the news that for Man / Person  of the Year voting list is out, with Como and Fauci and  AOC on it -- So are Biden and Harris, with just about the highest favorable votes.  But never fear shoggoth's on ithe list too -- with lowest number of yeses.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/27/fauci-andrew-cuomo-aoc-are-time-person-of-the-year-nominees/

Money for vaccines would be interesting at this point. I don’t want to be infected by the cultists.( or anyone else to get it)  I talked to a Trumpist from Arizona. She said that “ you liberals” didn't care about her $300 McConnell check, but then she complained, without irony, that her partner had been bankrupted by a few days in a hospital after a heart attack. If I could go back in time I would say that us liberals want health care to be universal. I think people want private or employer based  options though, and yes, it causes problems.

I would not believe that Diaper Don was real and trending in a normal world. I guess if you are just trying to get through a propaganda shoot with Diaper Donny, you would get it over with? He hates it because it has not been edited to pretend that he is not a creep. It’s funny and horrifying at the same time. Has there been a president this bad before? Now we know why the checks and balances should be there.

6 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

I don't know it's a great idea at all to tie stimulus relief to the vaccine.  For one thing, there are nowhere near enough doses to go around anytime soon.  Why complicate things by linking them?  Just do a relief bill asap and get the vaccines out ASAP, but I cannot see any benefit to linking them.  Maybe pay like $200 or something but if it's $1500 it's going to be used as an excuse why we don't need more stimulus, and most people will be waiting another 6 months to a year for it.  If they can pass a UBI type stimulus or more UI benefits immediately, sure, tack on a bonus for the vaccine late this spring or summer.  

I think people something like an immediate $250 to $500 amount when they get inoculated and then an additional $500 to $1000 at tax return time. That's an amount that the Republicans could probably stomach and a small incentive to someone who's possibly on the fence whether to get the vaccine. In the interim another $1200 stimulus check.

Those two actions in total could actually provide more stimulus than was given in the previous round.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Guess he's just heard the news that for Man / Person  of the Year voting list is out, with Como and Fauci and  AOC on it -- So are Biden and Harris, with just about the highest favorable votes.  But never fear shoggoth's on ithe list too -- with lowest number of yeses.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/27/fauci-andrew-cuomo-aoc-are-time-person-of-the-year-nominees/

It's like when a substitute teacher tries to exert power and authority over an 8th grader. The sub realizes he/she has no power.

7 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

It's like when a substitute teacher tries to exert power and authority over an 8th grader. The sub realizes he/she has no power.

Especially when the 8th graders organize and collectively work together to make the sub cry.

43 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Especially when the 8th graders organize and collectively work together to make the sub cry.

I remember one year at school we made a sub teacher cry by, spontaneously as a group of 30 kids, singing 'Remember you're a Womble' at her for twenty minutes without pause. I have no idea why, she didn't look like a Womble.

34 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I remember one year at school we made a sub teacher cry by, spontaneously as a group of 30 kids, singing 'Remember you're a Womble' at her for twenty minutes without pause. I have no idea why, she didn't look like a Womble.

:lol: I shouldn’t laugh. My mother was a substitute teacher for years. She was on the receiving end of this sort of thing.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Why would you do this?  Why?

Archived