Expanse #5 Game done changed.

mcbigski

Sad to hear 6 and done.  Better than it looked a while ago.  But knowing now they know they have exactly 10 (or whatever) eps to wrap it up, I expect it to work.  Going to look at the next novel as a separate track, since I don't think the show will have enough time to cover quite all of that. 

I suspect the other news means Peaches ends up Rivering the Roci, but I like the parallel there.

As for the thread title, I wanted something Amos so looked at Wire quotes, and ended up with Cutty.

So on the previous conversation about what the clip that was sent out means, @Werthead -

Spoiler

I disagree that this means they're bringing in books 7 and 8 in any way. I'm not saying that means they aren't doing it - only that this is probably setting up the Dutchman stuff that happens at the end of Book 5 and how Inaros meets his end in Book 6. I don't think it means we're getting into the planet-killer behavior of 7 & 8.

7 hours ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

So on the previous conversation about what the clip that was sent out means, @Werthead -

Reveal hidden contents

I disagree that this means they're bringing in books 7 and 8 in any way. I'm not saying that means they aren't doing it - only that this is probably setting up the Dutchman stuff that happens at the end of Book 5 and how Inaros meets his end in Book 6. I don't think it means we're getting into the planet-killer behavior of 7 & 8.

Spoiler

I consider it highly unlikely they're just going to leave the protomolecule/gates story completely unresolved in the TV show and just adapt Babylon's Ashes and leave it there. That would be weird and unsatisfying.

9 hours ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Hide contents

1 hour ago, Werthead said:
  Hide contents

I consider it highly unlikely they're just going to leave the protomolecule/gates story completely unresolved in the TV show and just adapt Babylon's Ashes and leave it there. That would be weird and unsatisfying.

Spoiler

What I think it means is that Elvi, instead of doing research for Laconia, is just doing it for humanity and the powers that be at this stage. That clip basically shows that her understanding of the Goths comes much quicker that in the books. It's also good to have the character in the story, and not disappear like Pax and Anna.

So we're not getting a 30 year jump, but possibly still a smaller jump either between seasons, or even within one of the seasons, which the show has already done more than once. Cortazar can still come back in the story, so I hope we still get a Duarte plot. While Earth and Mars are busy dealing with the Free Navy, Duarte could be a secret player, developing tech and building ships on Laconia. The concept of near-indestructible ships built with protomolecule tech is too cool to not include in the show. Duarte and Cortazar can be the main human antagonists of the final season.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:
  Hide contents

I agree. Out of all the plotlines they have to wrap up, aside from the immediate cliffhanger stuff from season 4, this is by far the most important, and not say, the Laconia stuff. But I suppose it depends on how much they knew about when the show was likely to end while writing season 5.

• 2 weeks later...

Ty and Daniel claim that The Expanse is not "cancelled" but "paused" and there is scope to do more stuff later on.

However, back after the show was rescued they did come up with a plan to ensure "an ending" was reached, and that plan culminates at the end of Season 6.

So it sounds like we'll get a lot of closure in Season 6, but they'll also continue with setup for the Book 7-9 arc with a view that they can come back and do them later on, but it won't feel incomplete if they don't.

23 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Ty and Daniel claim that The Expanse is not "cancelled" but "paused" and there is scope to do more stuff later on.

However, back after the show was rescued they did come up with a plan to ensure "an ending" was reached, and that plan culminates at the end of Season 6.

So it sounds like we'll get a lot of closure in Season 6, but they'll also continue with setup for the Book 7-9 arc with a view that they can come back and do them later on, but it won't feel incomplete if they don't.

Spoiler

Obviously they're going to wait 30 years so the time jump feel organic.

32 minutes ago, karaddin said:

This one seems tailor made for @Jace, Basilissa

Their casting of Marco still feeling perfect to me

Yeah, they nailed him and his intro.

The fact that the show is cancelled has kneecapped my interest, but I know I'll tune in eventually. If only to get my promised Marco time.

On 12/11/2020 at 10:32 AM, Werthead said:

Well that's better than one more and done for sure, unless it isn't.  Something to be said for having one plan and nailing it though.

Either way, with over a foot of snow in the forecast tomorrow, I know what I'll be doing for several hours at least.

I've watched the first two episodes. A lot of setup so far, with a couple of moments of drama. 

Book spoilers

Spoiler

Filip's (re)introduction wasn't as badass as the raid on Callisto, but it still served to show how cold-blooded he can be.

Amos's part is strong. I remember little of the book, and never read The Churn, but I did read Auberon, so Erich was at least familiar. And I loved the part when he is on the ship to Luna, that dialogue was straight from the book. Not sure how Avasarala was aware of his coming. Did Holden tell her or is she just keeping tabs on all the Roci crew because of how much trouble they tend to attract?

Is Admiral Delgado a book character? I don't believe so.

Possibly the biggest change is that Alex didn't go to see Duarte, but Sauveterre, and they made him an admiral. That still doesn't eliminate a potential future Laconian plot, but with the recent news, maybe we won't get a complete Laconian plot.

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

And I've watched the 3rd episode. If they had released the entire season at once, I would now be forced and take the day off to watch the whole thing. Fuuuck!!!

Yeah, the ending of Episode 3 is a cruel place to leave it.

Spoiler

I assume they'll rewind for Episode 4 and we'll catch up with Amos up to the impact moment.

I got all excited for S5 dropping today and went to check out Prime Video.  It turns out I haven’t even finished watching S2 yet!?  I don’t know how I blanked on that.  Probably because I was watching them during flights (my wife isn’t into the show), and then I forgot about it when I stopped flying. 

Interesting observation:

Spoiler

Based on the read-out at the start of Ep 3, the rocks seem smaller than in the book but more numerous (there's six, I think, including the one that was destroyed near Venus), so instead of massive climate-wrecking impacts it looks like Earth is going to get multiple sub-10 megaton hits instead. Damaging, especially along coastal areas, but not as world-shatteringly apocalyptic.

I don't think they showed the tonnage of all the rocks though, so maybe the last one is much bigger.

Archived