Expanse #5 Game done changed.

mcbigski

5 minutes ago, ithanos said:

First off, Naomi was an absolute badass in this episode, Tipper nailed the performance throughout - totally bought into the affects after the jump. However one thing took me out momentarily, if someone could remind me...

Hide contents

How artificial gravity works on ships in this series and in books? The scene where Naomi had to pull up the floor grate had me wondering... the ship's stationary right (just floating in mid-space) - so what's the acceleration on this grate (and everything else we see) that's making it so heavy?

The ship was under thrust, probably sent towards where the Rocinante was at the time.

Spoiler

Nothing is floating inside the ship. She dumps the suit and helmet on the table, and they stay there. The tool she uses shows there is some gravity.

Now while I'm sure the ship is not burning 1g, but something much lower, Naomi's hands were so fucked up that even lifting a pencil at 1g would have hurt.

7 minutes ago, ithanos said:

First off, Naomi was an absolute badass in this episode, Tipper nailed the performance throughout - totally bought into the affects after the jump. However one thing took me out momentarily, if someone could remind me...

Reveal hidden contents

How artificial gravity works on ships in this series and in books? The scene where Naomi had to pull up the floor grate had me wondering... the ship's stationary right (just floating in mid-space) - so what's the acceleration on this grate (and everything else we see) that's making it so heavy?

Ty spent most of yesterday pointing this out to people on Twitter - the establishing shot shows the ship is under thrust.

As cool as everything Naomi did was, I can’t get over the fact she was still given the run of Marcos’ ship at that point. Seems awfully plot convenient. I did, however, enjoy the fact that nobody can even fathom the possibility that she could have got where she did.

15 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

The ship was under thrust, probably sent towards where the Rocinante was at the time.

Reveal hidden contents

Nothing is floating inside the ship. She dumps the suit and helmet on the table, and they stay there. The tool she uses shows there is some gravity.

Now while I'm sure the ship is not burning 1g, but something much lower, Naomi's hands were so fucked up that even lifting a pencil at 1g would have hurt.

Ah, got it, thanks.

12 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Ty spent most of yesterday pointing this out to people on Twitter - the establishing shot shows the ship is under thrust.

I missed that scene, but it makes sense now.

On Avasarala's scenes, one thing that made me frown was

Spoiler

that apparently everyone forgot about Marco's protomolecule threat. They're talking about destroying Pallas, hunting down Marco without a worry they could provoke an even worse attack. 

Is Holden in communication with Avasarala?

If I remember the book correctly, the lack of knowledge of whether or not there might be more asteroids coming crippled the UN Navy in that they had to pull back and protect Earth, giving Marco free reign in the outer planets.

These last two episodes (i fell behind and consumed them in one go - what luck that it was this week of all weeks! I’d have been on edge after ending on Naomi’s space jump) have been absolutely fantastic. Naomi is such a great character and the actress has completely sold the role to me and i felt like i was experiencing exactly what she was.

I definitely want to see more Avasarala. I had an uncomfortable feeling from the first speech of the new Secretary General and of course by the end of the episode that was cemented. Interested to see what happens.

One small moment that I really loved was the water bottle scene with Drummer and her crew. I’m sure most people have been in a tense, hihly charged situation where the pressure is just eased by some small comedic moment. It was really a lovely scene for me.

Spoiler

Yeah, as someone who gets sunburn quite easily here in Australia, I definitely sympathised with Naomi when opening that grate. I did like those little touches with her left eye after space exposure (contacts or cgi or was it just the way the ship's interior shadows played across her face?). Naomi's not my favourite character so to me at least the running in and out was getting a bit tedious. Not sure why her spacesuit would be without a tank since Marcos never intended anyone to be aboard it (surely they'd be backup suits somewhere?). I'm actually surprised Marcos never sent hundreds of those suicide ships across the inner system in conjunction with the rocks plan; a detonation at the correct range around Earth or Luna would at least disrupt space travel causing more havoc with the rescue operation and delaying the Jupiter fleet from reuniting with home base (i.e. how Earth destroyed Mars' moon in S1-2 and the debris field affected and denied control of the area). Wish we heard more from the Parliament attack on Mars as well.

To some extent I can get that the ship was mostly stripped.  But can't think of a reason given that besides plot device why they left a usable suit w a solid seal.  

OTOH if Naomi had no suit available, then they'd have to write a different way for her to overcome the obstacles and while killing her off there would have been a bold choice,  all things considered, her almost choking out repeatedly is better drama then just watching her solder shit in full atmo.

10 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

On Avasarala's scenes, one thing that made me frown was

Hide contents

that apparently everyone forgot about Marco's protomolecule threat. They're talking about destroying Pallas, hunting down Marco without a worry they could provoke an even worse attack. 

Is Holden in communication with Avasarala?

If I remember the book correctly, the lack of knowledge of whether or not there might be more asteroids coming crippled the UN Navy in that they had to pull back and protect Earth, giving Marco free reign in the outer planets.

Spoiler

Holden hasn't been shown to be, but we know Bobbie is, so if Holden's told the Razorback that the Zmeya's been destroyed while carrying the protomolecule, it makes sense that Bobbie would pass something that important along.

Book spoilers

Spoiler

Both the UNN and MCRN had to hold back until the rock throwers were found and destroyed in Book 6. But Mars seems to be less important in the show - they seem to have cut the storyline with Alex and Bobbie rescuing the Prime Minister.

Fuck you, Timmy! (I thought that was the best scene in the episode actually)

I found this one a bit of an anti-climax tbh. I was expecting to be wowed by this episode but it was disappointing. Dominique Tipper is broadly speaking in the same ballpark as Steven Strait when it comes to acting levels in this show, maybe a little better (but then she gets better material to work with too). She did not do this section justice in my opinion. Maybe it wasn't entirely the acting, maybe it was direction as well. But it just wasn't convincing to me. I remember this part of the books was totally convincing about what a badass Naomi was. But on the screen it felt a bit flat. Not terrible, but definitely not amazing either. 

Conversely, the dude playing Marcos (and most especially his eyebrows) does a convincing job of playing a tyrant; an improvement on the books. And Cara Gee is brilliant - I could watch her on her own in a spaceship for a whole episode for sure.

17 hours ago, Isis said:

Fuck you, Timmy! (I thought that was the best scene in the episode actually)

I found this one a bit of an anti-climax tbh. I was expecting to be wowed by this episode but it was disappointing. Dominique Tipper is broadly speaking in the same ballpark as Steven Strait when it comes to acting levels in this show, maybe a little better (but then she gets better material to work with too). She did not do this section justice in my opinion. Maybe it wasn't entirely the acting, maybe it was direction as well. But it just wasn't convincing to me. I remember this part of the books was totally convincing about what a badass Naomi was. But on the screen it felt a bit flat. Not terrible, but definitely not amazing either. 

Conversely, the dude playing Marcos (and most especially his eyebrows) does a convincing job of playing a tyrant; an improvement on the books. And Cara Gee is brilliant - I could watch her on her own in a spaceship for a whole episode for sure.

Pretty much agree.  The Naomi not getting getting exploded/asphyxiated drama peaked at the space walk.  Last ep was excellent but since she already survived worse, even if you dont have book spoilers, obvious short term plot immunity. Still my favorite current episodic show.

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

Pretty much agree.  The Naomi not getting getting exploded/asphyxiated drama peaked at the space walk.  Last ep was excellent but since she already survived worse, even if you dont have book spoilers, obvious short term plot immunity. Still my favorite current episodic show.

I think you mean serialized.

This episode wasn't about Naomi surviving yet another crazy stunt, it's about her being completely altruistic. The chick that hates her tells Oksana that Naomi only thinks about herself at the same time we see her pretty much use the last clean air she has to make sure others don't die for her.

14 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Ok serialized. Mostly i meant a show currently watching that hasnt dumped every ep yet.  Suspect we re using different terms for same general idea.  Unless I m missing something?

11 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Ok serialized. Mostly i meant a show currently watching that hasnt dumped every ep yet.  Suspect we re using different terms for same general idea.  Unless I m missing something?

AFAIK, episodic shows are the ones where each episode has its own plot, like cop procedurals. 

10 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

This episode wasn't about Naomi surviving yet another crazy stunt, it's about her being completely altruistic. The chick that hates her tells Oksana that Naomi only thinks about herself at the same time we see her pretty much use the last clean air she has to make sure others don't die for her.

I really hope that woman who has a massive hate-on for Naomi ends up spaced.

4 minutes ago, Poobah said:

Drummer quite likes the personal touch of shooting people though, that's also acceptable imo

39 minutes ago, Poobah said:

34 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Drummer quite likes the personal touch of shooting people though, that's also acceptable imo

Yes, I have a feeling Drummer will make her acquainted with the void. Drummer was stopped from spacing drug dealers on the Behemoth, then she didn't space Marco, then Ashford is killed by being spaced. Drummer will shoot and space that woman.

Archived