Expanse #5 Game done changed.

mcbigski

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Decided to start a re-read of the books, including all the novellas, some of which I hadn't read. I'm doing it in chronological order, so The Churn first. (I then realized there is the story about Solomon Epstein called Drive, but that one is hard to find; it was first published in an anthology of short stories. I assume the episode from season 2 'Paradigm Shit' covers it succinctly)

Book Amos doesn't look like show Amos, but Chatham's voice is now starting to creep in whenever I read his dialogue.

All of the Expanse novellas and short stories should be assembled in an anthology due to come out ~1 year after Leviathan Falls, so I'm waiting on that.

Bruce Boxleitner says he's up in Canada filming something.  How cool would it be if it's Duarte on The Expanse?  I don't know the character yet, haven't read this far in the books.  Would he be a left-field choice for the role?

38 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Bruce Boxleitner says he's up in Canada filming something.  How cool would it be if it's Duarte on The Expanse?  I don't know the character yet, haven't read this far in the books.  Would he be a left-field choice for the role?

He certainly exudes the charisma Duarte has. 

3 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

So was Duarte not that Admiral giving the lecture on Mars who Alex tried to approach about the missing ships?

(Haven’t read the books and just read about the Laconian plotline in Wikipedia so trying to keep track of it all.)

No, that was Sauveterre

So one thing that I was confused about, after the battle, they start talking about one of the missiles on the Serrio Mal going away from the Roci to parts unknown.  Then they speculate, "could that have been the protomolecule?"

Why would that be the protomolecule?  That supposition makes no sense.  Why wouldn't the protomolecule be on a different ship that isn't going into battle?  Why wouldn't it be on Marco's ship, for that matter? 

They are talking about the battle with the Zameya earlier in the season. One of the torpedoes that Zameya fired speed up away from Roci and away from the Sun. They didn’t notice it at the time but we can now conclude it went towards the gate and the rogue Martian fleet.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

So one thing that I was confused about, after the battle, they start talking about one of the missiles on the Serrio Mal going away from the Roci to parts unknown.  Then they speculate, "could that have been the protomolecule?"

Why would that be the protomolecule?  That supposition makes no sense.  Why wouldn't the protomolecule be on a different ship that isn't going into battle?  Why wouldn't it be on Marco's ship, for that matter? 

Eagle-eyed viewers actually saw this in the episode when the battle took place. The last torpedo the Zemeya launched went the other way. It was unlikely that the protomolecule had been transferred on another ship because Holden and co. did a pretty good job at tracking traffic in the direction the Zemeya was going. This is reinforced by Marco's fury at the Roci having tracked down the Zemeya, and later Naomi confirming it was possible to have the protomolecule on the torpedo because the Roci crew did that once, too.

By the way, another cool detail is in the thrust color of the torpedoes. All the torpedoes but one that the Zemeya launches at the Roci have a yellow color, which I believe indicates chemical rockets, thus being short-range. The one torpedo that leaves has a blue color, indicating Epstein drive, which then it makes sense it could travel all the way to the Ring and even further.

On 2/6/2021 at 2:03 AM, Caligula_K3 said:

I'm curious if those who haven't read the books enjoyed the Naomi stuff since her space jump more than me; since I knew she survived, I felt absolutely no tension. But I don't think I would have bought that Naomi was in real danger even if I hadn't read the books.

The tension was great, but it wasn't at all clear what exactly she was trying to do a lot of the time. It screamed out "this is adapted from a book" in a way most of the show doesn't.

3 hours ago, felice said:

The tension was great, but it wasn't at all clear what exactly she was trying to do a lot of the time. It screamed out "this is adapted from a book" in a way most of the show doesn't.

yeah, totally decided to read the books just to understand that part.

5 hours ago, felice said:

I read Nemesis games probably a year and a half ago and I'm still not sure I understand most of what she was doing without a reread.

I finished Season 4 and am a couple of episodes into Season 5. 

Season 4 was great in my opinion and I really like how the show is doing some of the plotlines and characters even better than the books. Introducing Innaros early on was a smart idea. Liked the way they fleshed out Murtry's character a little bit more and how they ended his storyline with Holden ("They call that civilization"). Holden is just an outright badass now. I'd say Ashford wins the ultimate "better than the books" award but the character has evolved to be so different from the story version that I don't think it's a fair comparison. Was sad to see him go. I wasn't terribly interested in Bobby's storyline but I suppose it's necessary if she's eventually going to be a major part of an insurgency/rebellion. Avaserala had the least interesting stuff but I suppose it's on par with the book material.

Overall, very impressed with the show. Great addition to TV sci-fi as I sort of gave up on that genre for some time now. Now I find myself constantly conversing about it with a friend at my local bar and it's re-ignited my interest in sci-fi literature. 

• 3 weeks later...

So I started a rewatch, most of the way through S 1 Ep 3.  A few things stand out.

The opening crawl/set up kind of blows in a lot of ways.  Why/How is Mars a peer to Earth?  What resources in the Belt are needed on Earth?  If water and air are so scarce, is that what they're importing to Earth?  Coals to Newcastle...  Other than setting it up that there are basically 3 factions, it really doesn't set up the economy well.  But at least it jumps into the action quickly from there.

Next, holy fuck Jonathan Banks.  Totally forgot about that.

TBH I didn't notice when they replaced Arjun, but the unreplacing stood out.  It's not like he's The Mountain, could they have gotten a guy about the same size at least? 

They definitely got away from Belters being mostly tall and skinny by default through the course of the series, focusing more on the tattoos and accents.  Which is fine from a production point of view, considering that there are only so many actors in the world, and acting talent will beat shape most of the time.

Also, I think Shed is going to die in the next 10 minutes, and he's actually the funniest of the five by far.  Might have been nice to keep around a less super competent guy for comic relief.  But what do I know?  As good as that actor was, Sean Bean would have been better.

I've heard that Ty and That Guy are doing a rewatch podcast I think.  Should probably hunt for that before I get too far along.

It's also pretty great that they were far enough in the writing when the first season started that the interrogation scenes are all consistent with the backstories that come out in the future.  Some of that wasn't paying off till the most recent season.  

And one more thing, Admiral Souther talked about his "soldiers".  That's not really a navy thing though is it?  That one kind of stuck out, fwiw.

Archived