Will we get a POV for Hardhome?

Alyn Oakenfist

So Hardhome is setting up to be an absolute bloodbath as the Others will probably come in full force to massacre anyone and anything there. The question is will we have some POV to it, ro will it happen off page, with the characters only seeing the outcome or hearing it through some second hand source?

1 hour ago, Nathan Stark said:

Yes. It will be Davos with Rickon, Osha and Shaggydog in tow. Y'all heard it here first.

Wow. That not only makes sense, but it’s the perfect set up to a chapter of Lovecraftian horror where people are either losing their minds with fear or being slaughtered.

If you'd asked me before GRRM confirmed Jeyne would be part of the prologue I would have told you that the we would see it through the prologue, but I don't see any already established POVs in hardhome, and I don't think George would add a new one.

The attack seems to already have begun in Cotter Pyke's letter to Jon, with the dead things in the water and the dead things in the woods. While I think that Davos is a really good choice for a POV at Hardhome, I don't think the attack will happen on page but it would be completely bonkers if it did. 

And seriously, poor Osha if she ends up at Hardhome. 

Even if it's all over Davos would be a great POV to see the aftermath. Cotters letter just doesn't seem like enough closure on the situation. And Davos being so level headed would be a really good person to spread the word about the Others being real, even if the Southron fools don't listen to him about 'Lordly' things they should listen about this, since he is their camps biggest magical non believer.

1 hour ago, Azarial said:

Even if it's all over Davos would be a great POV to see the aftermath. Cotters letter just doesn't seem like enough closure on the situation. And Davos being so level headed would be a really good person to spread the word about the Others being real, even if the Southron fools don't listen to him about 'Lordly' things they should listen about this, since he is their camps biggest magical non believer.

He believes in magic, he has witnessed it and been tircked by it too, he just doesn't agree on an ethical level with R'hlor.

9 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So Hardhome is setting up to be an absolute bloodbath as the Others will probably come in full force to massacre anyone and anything there. The question is will we have some POV to it, ro will it happen off page, with the characters only seeing the outcome or hearing it through some second hand source?

Our old friend @Nevets actually posted this in a topic about TWOW POVs some 5 or 6 years ago.  Hopefully he can jump in and add some elaboration to the theory.   Davos and Rickon in Hardhome is fabulous.  Skagossi and unicorns can only add to the adventure here.  

Hardhome itself is a creepy place.  If you throw the Others and whatever is screeching in the caves to the mix--gads, maybe another "event"!--this would be the place we actually see Davos take up for Jon's ultimate mission.    It's very interesting that all the "other" cultures are coming together in a place like this.  By the time they show up, The Others really will be up against all of Westeros.  Bitchen.  

Davos is coming from White Harbor to look for Rickon on Skaagos. Look how far it is from Hardholm? They just don't have any reason whatsoever to go there.  The only real reason we want Hardhome on the page is because of the show. I think in the book it's done.  Pyke sends the letter of shit going down  and when they're reading it, it's already gotta be done.  Was awesome to see in the show, but don't think we'll see it in the book. Maybe Davos will cross paths with what's left of the fleet on their way back to Eastwatch or find some derelict vessels floating along, but otherwise...

I always thought Hardhome works better without us knowing the story. There's much more horror in the unknown than there is in seeing it all unfold. GRRM recognises that, as we've seen with the way he handled the horrific deaths of Aerea Targaryen and Vargo Hoat, the experiments of Qyburn, the disaster at Summerhall, and the torture of Theon Greyjoy. Leaving something in the shadows, and we can only imagine just how bad it must be. As Steller mentioned, it's Lovecraftian without the blatant racism (well, most of it anyway).

23 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

He believes in magic, he has witnessed it and been tircked by it too, he just doesn't agree on an ethical level with R'hlor.

He believes in the seven, and miracles but he believes most of the 'magic' he has seen is tricks and lies. So he is far more of a sceptic than anyone else blindly following Stannis. He openly questions everything, this is one of the reasons Stannis values his council so much. He believes is the shadow baby as he saw it, but he knows it's evil and sees the toll it took on Stannis. He doesn't trust the rest (and is right not to). He didn't agree with the leaches, he didn't believe in them being responsible for the deaths of Rob and Jeof, and Renly, but knew Stannis did. He knew 'lightbringer' was a fake, he didn't buy into the whole burning people for wind thing, and felt that if any wind came from it it was evil.

I think his level headedness and not believing everything out of hand would give him credibility. Could be wrong, but it is normally easier to believe the fantastical from someone you know doesn't believe in things easily in my opinion. And since Shadow babies aren't that far removed from icy shadows AKA Others, he is a good fit for seeing them as they do seem to be parallel creatures based off the stories of their creation--the whole the women would lay with them and create half human monsters bit sounds like an inverse of the shadow baby to me. I mean Mel a fire monster lay with a mortal man and created a half human shadow (a shadow with Stannis's face) sounds really similar to me.

Regardless, him being the biggest magical non believer doesn't mean he believes in nothing. I meant it as a sliding scale not a black and white coin toss. He believes the least of Stannis's men and questions everything, and this fact is well known given that he was imprisoned for it. That was what I meant, although apparently it was unclear, my bad.

On 11/27/2020 at 5:52 AM, CamiloRP said:

If you'd asked me before GRRM confirmed Jeyne would be part of the prologue I would have told you that the we would see it through the prologue, but I don't see any already established POVs in hardhome, and I don't think George would add a new one.

Jeyne is the prologue? Poole or Westerling? Either way that doesn't bode well. Is she the actual POV or just in it? Is there more info on that somewhere?

9 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Jeyne is the prologue? Poole or Westerling?

Westerling IIRC. 

Either way that doesn't bode well. 

:agree:

Is she the actual POV or just in it?

Actual POV.... IIRC

Is there more info on that somewhere?

SSM. Sry, no time :D

It makes no sense for Davos and Rickon to end up at hardhome. It’s also possible we won’t get a skagos POV. Instead we will have a Davos chapter where he will summarise the events of skagos and probably hearing of the massacre at hardhome.

By winds, Davos will be at either eastwatch or white harbour. With or without rickon.

@Lord Lannister @TheLastWolf Jeyne Westerling, and I think he explicitly said she wasn't the POV but that we would see her in the prologue. My guess is that the POV is some Lannister/Frey soldier taking the hostages to the Rock when they are attacked by the Brotherhood. But George has also said that we would see the Rock, so maybe she's already there?

@Lord Lannister, see this article.

Spoiler

As the point-of-view characters of his prologues and epilogues have uniformly met fatal ends, some fans were concerned that Jeyne’s presence in the prologue boded ill for her continued survival. But, Martin clarified in an interview with Zap2It, this is not necessarily the case.

“I didn’t say she was the viewpoint character,” he explained. “I said she was in the prologue.”

Archived