What happened to all the off branch Targaryens?

Alyn Oakenfist

So I recall Aegon the Vth having 2 sisters, there were several off branches from Daeron the Good, one through his 3rd son I think, Aerion the little shit too had a son if I recall, and I think there were more. So what happened to all of them?

Given how important dragon's blood is it's not something irrelevant either

2 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

Calla and Bittersteel had no children. This was confirmed by George 2 years ago at some con.

About the OP, one circle I can't square is Aerion's line still being around. Robert's Rebellion would have been the perfect time for that line to try and make a claim, plus there's the distinct possibility that Daenaera was Jon Arryn's cousin making those descendant Arryn by blood and not all that far removed . . . 

2 hours ago, Leonardo said:

Yep yep.

Most are accounted for, and there are pleeeeenty of bastards or people from bastard lines walking about. Saera Targaryen had a number of children for example.

Daemon and Aegon II were also big fuckboys, I bet they've left several bastards back on King's Landing and among those dragonseeds too at Dragonstone/Driftmark. Not to mention Aegon IV.

3 hours ago, HerblYY said:

Daemon and Aegon II were also big fuckboys, I bet they've left several bastards back on King's Landing and among those dragonseeds too at Dragonstone/Driftmark. Not to mention Aegon IV.

For sure, though it does seem fact that none of these were formally recognized-excepting Aegon IV, as I am certain there are other bastards that were legitimized that we didn’t hear about. Mayhaps even some smaller houses with a Targ claim, but we’ll have to see if they ever become relevant.

Very clear there’s actually a loooot of dragon lord blood floating around, contrary to what we expected earlier in the series.

Also in that chart it doesn’t matter if Aegon fathered the future Plumms or not, they’re still Targ blood through the mother.

The only official branch are the Blackfyres.  That branch has largely gone extinct.  A person claiming descent from the Blackfyres will have an impossible task of proving himself.  The Targaryen DNA is scattered.  It's not rare but it is very diluted.  The recessive gene will not express itself.  A Lyseni whose family tree included a Targaryen a long time ago will not have any advantage towards bonding with a dragon.

31 minutes ago, Rondo said:

The only official branch are the Blackfyres.  That branch has largely gone extinct.  A person claiming descent from the Blackfyres will have an impossible task of proving himself.  The Targaryen DNA is scattered.  It's not rare but it is very diluted.  The recessive gene will not express itself.  A Lyseni whose family tree included a Targaryen a long time ago will not have any advantage towards bonding with a dragon.

A Lysene would not need a Targaryen ancestor to bond with a dragon. They are descended from various extinct dragonlord houses themselves. It is the same with the Volantene old blood.

Daella and Rhae both are said by their brother maester Aemon to have children. So they were married. I think one of the following scenarios is possible: 

1. One was impregnated by Dunk and married into house Tarth (and that's how house Tarth is related to house Targaryen) and the other into house Dayne.

2. Both women and their children died at Summerhal.

Maegor, son of Aerion, can die in Summerhal too or left for Essos, never to return. 

Unknown number of houses can probably have Targaryen blood since we dont know the fates of the six Targaryen/Hightower girls, Baela's children with Oakenfist (who married the second Laena Velaryon and any daughters who followed), Elaena's line (who married the 3 Penrose girls), Bloodraven's sisters and Daenerys's line(daughter of Aegon IV).

7 hours ago, Endymion I Targaryen said:

Daella and Rhae both are said by their brother maester Aemon to have children. So they were married. I think one of the following scenarios is possible: 

1. One was impregnated by Dunk and married into house Tarth (and that's how house Tarth is related to house Targaryen) and the other into house Dayne.

That would be Daella, in my opinion, the elder sister, closer in age to Dunk ... and the one betrothed to Egg, meaning it would be great irony if she ended up with Dunk. Although I expect Dunk to have married Daella and their daughter becoming the mother of Selwyn Tarth with a widowed Dunk joining the KG only during the reign of Aegon V. He wouldn't join the order while Aerion was still around ... and he only died in 232 AC.

2. Both women and their children died at Summerhal.

Since they would have married outside the family, most likely, they could still be around. Not every noble houses walks around with a family tree stitched on their backs. And Rhae's descendants who may be still around might could very well be her great-great-grandchildren, meaning very obscure relations.

The most crucial loose ends are Duncan/Jenny's possible children. They loved each other very much, so it would be very surprising if they couldn't produce children - especially since they weren't an incest couple. They may have been at Summerhall, of course, and could have died there ... or not.

Unknown number of houses can probably have Targaryen blood since we dont know the fates of the six Targaryen/Hightower girls, Baela's children with Oakenfist (who married the second Laena Velaryon and any daughters who followed), Elaena's line (who married the 3 Penrose girls), Bloodraven's sisters and Daenerys's line(daughter of Aegon IV).

From the Targaryen-Hightowers quite a lot of descendants could be still around, just as from the Targaryen-Velaryon's if they continued the Velaryon branch - then all houses marrying Velaryon daughters between Oakenfist's children and Lord Mantarys do have Targaryen blood through those matches. And I think we can tentatively assumes that the second Laena does have children one day, just as Baela is going to give Alyn a son who is going to succeed him as Lord of Driftmark - or, considering Alyn's age - a grandson.

The two biggest question marks are Eleana and Rhaena (Baela's twin), who each had multiple children whose descendants are presumably still alive. Then there's Egg's sisters' children and Aerion's son, Maegor. Hopefully we'll get a better idea about what happened to them through Fire and Blood pt. 2 and Dunk & Egg.

1 hour ago, Endymion I Targaryen said:

I wouldn't be surprised if most of these descendants have the fate of Jaehaerys's children or the fate of the 9 Arryn/Waynwood nephews of Jon Arryn so that's why we're down to only Aerys's line.

Great way to tie up loose ends. Marvelous Mr George! 

Fates of many grandchildren of Maekar the brother slayer is unknown. They all must have died one way or other by cracked skull,pregnancy,summerhall,serpentine steps or other. I hope at least one of them survived and went to marry their Dayne cousin.

Aegon the unworthy fathering Lothson child and Whents marrying Lothsons always felt like a stretch to me. But i have been wishing it to be true. Hoster Tully's pedigree consiousness and yet a marriage with upstart Whents is very strange too but it did happen.  

15 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The two biggest question marks are Eleana and Rhaena (Baela's twin), who each had multiple children whose descendants are presumably still alive. Then there's Egg's sisters' children and Aerion's son, Maegor. Hopefully we'll get a better idea about what happened to them through Fire and Blood pt. 2 and Dunk & Egg.

Prince Maegor is going to be dealt with in FaB II or Dunk & Egg or both. He is male, after all, important enough to not completely disappear. And even if he became a septon or maester he is too young that we can assume he must be dead during the main series ... which means we will likely get his story to the end, unlike with Rhaella, Vaegon, or Saera.

Daella's and Rhae's stories should also be told ... but not necessarily the story of all their descendants if they had daughters. We should learn who their children married, but what happened to their grandchildren, if they had any, might only be told if it is relevant to the overall plot.

With Baela/Alyn it is different, I think, since they should be one of the pillars of the Targaryen reign as long they lived ... and that would include their children who likely would have grown up at court and have close ties with the royal family. The second Laena Velaryon is a very hot candidate for the grandmother of Aelinor Penrose ... and perhaps also Jena Dondarrion.

10 hours ago, Endymion I Targaryen said:

I wouldn't be surprised if most of these descendants have the fate of Jaehaerys's children or the fate of the 9 Arryn/Waynwood nephews of Jon Arryn so that's why we're down to only Aerys's line.

I don't think all of Rhaena's daughters by Garmund Hightower have children of their own ... but some should, even if it is only 1-2. And that Alyn/Baela continue the Velaryon line seems to be all but confirmed. But by the time of the main series any of those branches would be very obscure, even more so if some of those descendants were reabsorbed in the main Targaryen branch the way Aemma Arryn was. That could have happened with some or all the marriages of Daeron II's sons.

We can also expect that Elaena's daughters ended up marrying into prominent houses - Velaryons, Baratheons, etc. And, of course, the Martells spread the Targaryen bloodline all through Dorne. Daenerys had multiple children, and Doran/Oberyn and their children aren't the only Martells descended from her with siblings.

1 hour ago, Lightoftheast said:

Fates of many grandchildren of Maekar the brother slayer is unknown. They all must have died one way or other by cracked skull,pregnancy,summerhall,serpentine steps or other. I hope at least one of them survived and went to marry their Dayne cousin.

Lots of people suggested that Rhae Targaryen could have married a Dayne. I'd not be surprised if one Alyn/Baela's children or one of the six daughters of Rhaena and Garmund ended up marrying into House Dayne - either as part of Daeron's Conquest of Dorne or as part of Baelor's peace treaties afterwards.

On 11/27/2020 at 10:42 PM, Rondo said:

Nonsense, Targ blood itself among the line would have become so diluted by now that it must not matter how much dragon blood you have in the end.

Archived