The Mandalorian

RumHam

I couldn't think of a clever thread title. So I'm thinking for now we'll just call it The Thread and then reveal it's name later. 

Do we want to take a poll on making it a spoiler thread? I know Veltigar likes to check reactions and then watch on saturday, but others are annoyed by everything having to be tagged. Maybe tag everything for 24-48 hours? 

Pretty solid episode imho (one of the best of the show so far imho). Will rewatch it later on a bigger screen to enjoy it better.

I'm puzzled by Ahsoka's personality (seems like they turned back the clock here, she'd wisened up in Rebels.

I'm not too sure I like beskar being resistant to lightsabers...

I think Ahsoka should have won her duel more easily, but I assume she wanted her opponent alive.

I had high expectations for Ahsoka's appearance and I was not disappointed. Dawson works.
I'm surprised she never corrected anyone calling her a jedi though, especially since she seemed to lack the self-control of one (I'm quite certain she uses the dark side of the force when angry).

Last year I was expecting Ahsoka to train the child (and possibly a time skip) but the show has been underlining the growing bond between Mando and the child for a while now, so I'm not surprised she won't.
I'm very surprised they suggest another jedi might come into the picture though. I don't see who it could be... So I'll bet on a force ghost instead (possibly Yoda himself). Force ghosts could kinda train the child while not requiring Mando to partner up with a jedi.
A surprise guest star is also a possibility, though I'm not sure how they'd make it work.

I'm happy to see my theory that the child is not really an infant (and that he can talk and think) was correct. His backstory is also very interesting...
Doesn't this beg the question of him being... Yoda's son?

This episode was great, and it finally feels like some of the plot is moving forward. It's about time.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

Hide contents

I'm not too sure I like beskar being resistant to lightsabers...

Spoiler

It makes sense for beskar to stop lightsabers. It can easily deflect blaster bolts, lightsabers are not so different. Besides, those ancient wars between Mandalore and the Jedi weren't so one-sided towards the Jedi. Beskar armor must have helped the Mandalorians a lot.

How about "The Mandalorian: Grogu's Coveted Metal Shift Knob"?

I hate to say it, but that was a pretty uneven episode.

Spoiler

Beast mode Asoka was great, if a little unexpected. If anyone other than Feloni had directed that episode, half the internet would be skreeching, "THEY DON'T KNOW STAR WARS!!"

Cool backstory for the child.

Some of those scenes were clunky AF.

Is it just me or did the scene where Mando walked out of the Razorcrest very obviously look like a physical set in front of a big screen?

Given how Thrawn went out, why would some ex-Imperial functionary have any idea of his whereabouts?

This series takes place 9 ABY. Shouldn't Asoka be searching the galaxy with Sabine?  Is she just chillin' back at the ship?

Was Michael Biehn drunk or just hung over?

Ok a couple thoughts on the episode.

Spoiler

Having Ahsoka turn up within seconds of the episode start was a great move. Show new fans what this new character's capable of whilst not keeping Rebels & Clone Wars fans waiting for some end of episode reveal.

The episode setting screamed out Avatar: The Last Airbender to me, with the Asian influenced town layout and inner garden.

The twin showdowns was a cool concept, contrasting the Eastern duel between proponents of different styles against the Western shootout between gunslinger and bounty hunter - the latter with Michael Biehn in a role reminiscent of Johnny Ringo (Biehn) vs Doc Holliday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone.  

That was great.

Spoiler

Given the heavy involvement of Filoni in this series and Thrawn being brought up tonight, why not assume the temple reaches out to Ezra? He's more or less a Jedi, should still be alive and is the biggest unanswered Star Wars question at this point in the time line. Bringing him and then getting him and Grogu way out into the Outer Rim for the events of the ST would seem to be necessary for any of the larger canon to work.

Were those Lothcats running around? Also shout out to Ahsoka's bird familiar making an appearance.

Well, now they've done it.

Spoiler

Jeans Guy is no longer part of the Star Wars universe.

https://screenrant.com/mandalorian-jeans-guy-removed-disney-plus/

You know what?

Spoiler

I'm getting sick and tired of these totalitarian, magic-kingdom, motherfuckers screwing with the Star Wars cannon. What's-a-matter Bob Iger? You and Kathleen Kennedy take a break shitting on Han Solo's rotting corpse so you could slap Feloni and Favreu around for a while? Did their screams somehow fill the money-sucking, gaping pit in your soul?

"Oh, yeah. We gave the fans "Jeans Guy" and now we're just going to snatch him away BECAUSE WE *FUCKING* CAN!! Mmm, Mmm, delicious fanboy tears. Cry harder, baby."

You bastards. You merciless fucking bastards.

I salute your passion regarding Jeans Guy, Deadlines.

I have not watched the animated shows, and I want to thank you guys who gave me a brief explanation of what to expect going into this episode.

Spoiler

Unrelated to Star Wars, I have had a lifelong celebrity crush on Rosario Dawson, and she killed it. The walk-off into the sunset was just perfect after the stunning duel on the bridge cut with the main street standoff. What a bad ass. Still hope she goes all out a la Charlize Theron and gets a lead role in a legitimately bad-ass action flick. She'd rock it, as she showed tonight. 

I had no idea (thank you guys for not mentioning it) that Thrawn was even involved in the TV shows, so hearing his name was an amazing moment for me. I practically jumped off the couch shouting. If it was even rumored, I had no idea. Does this mean we may see a late season cameo of the blue faced space chess master? Surely they'd find an actor with a herculean presence?

6 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Hide contents

Given how Thrawn went out, why would some ex-Imperial functionary have any idea of his whereabouts?

This series takes place 9 ABY. Shouldn't Asoka be searching the galaxy with Sabine?  Is she just chillin' back at the ship?

Rebels spoilers:

6 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:
Spoiler

She referred to him as ‘your boss’, so I would assume Ahsoka has heard a rumour that Thrawn has set up some sort of criminal enterprise of his own, and is now investigating one of his outposts. Possibly it’s the best lead they’ve had on Ezra. Maybe they split up and Sabine is investigating another site, or somewhere else, or dead, we don’t know.

I wouldn’t mind if Ezra was the Jedi who came to find Grogu, he really doesn’t need much introduction. “I was trained after the rest were wiped out so I’m a bit green”. That pretty much covers what we need. There really isn’t anyone else left, or so Yoda tells us.

EDIT: not sure why that’s all a quote...

4 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I salute your passion regarding Jeans Guy, Deadlines.

I have not watched the animated shows, and I want to thank you guys who gave me a brief explanation of what to expect going into this episode.

Reveal hidden contents

Unrelated to Star Wars, I have had a lifelong celebrity crush on Rosario Dawson, and she killed it. The walk-off into the sunset was just perfect after the stunning duel on the bridge cut with the main street standoff. What a bad ass. Still hope she goes all out a la Charlize Theron and gets a lead role in a legitimately bad-ass action flick. She'd rock it, as she showed tonight. 

I had no idea (thank you guys for not mentioning it) that Thrawn was even involved in the TV shows, so hearing his name was an amazing moment for me. I practically jumped off the couch shouting. If it was even rumored, I had no idea. Does this mean we may see a late season cameo of the blue faced space chess master? Surely they'd find an actor with a herculean presence?

How dare you hide that effusive praise of Rosario Dawson! 

I really enjoyed the episode. It was fun start to finish and served as a good way to expand where the show can go. 

Also the live action white light sabers were the best. I ended up watching this episode using headphones and the audio of the blades also sounded fantastic. The dead forest and dank, grim town were the perfect contrast to their pure white. 

Not to get too into politics here, but the fact that none of the places where the Mando has gone are much above desperate hovel makes me think the First Order might rise on the basic Make the Galaxy Great Again approach. 'Tired of living in wretched poverty on a forest planet with only dead trees? Drain the New Republic Swamp and join the First Order.' As I recall from TFA, the people living on the Hosnian Prime looked pretty clean, rich and comfortable compared to everywhere we've seen in this series. 

14 hours ago, Vaughn said:

That was great.

Hide contents

Given the heavy involvement of Filoni in this series and Thrawn being brought up tonight, why not assume the temple reaches out to Ezra? He's more or less a Jedi, should still be alive and is the biggest unanswered Star Wars question at this point in the time line. Bringing him and then getting him and Grogu way out into the Outer Rim for the events of the ST would seem to be necessary for any of the larger canon to work.

Were those Lothcats running around? Also shout out to Ahsoka's bird familiar making an appearance.

Hmmmm...I was looking for the bird, but never saw it...but those were totally Lothcats...

Spoiler

Thrawn is actually a bit of a sticky issue for the franchise in general...there's all these indications that he's quite possibly the best villain for the post ROTJ world...except he needed to be worked out of the story in Rebels...but if he came back, he'd be better than resurrecting Palpatine...or developing a First Order...

Name drop him, use him in a live action Asoka show...all of it, but as villains go, people will gravitate towards him more than anything in the sequels and then those movies marginalize even more...maybe the whole post OT time can be rewritten!

Archived