The Mandalorian

RumHam

11 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

It should be Luke who takes the baby. 

Seems like everything Filoni has done, and now by extension Favreau, with Clone Wars, Rebels, and The Mandolorian has really managed to minimize and marginalize the effect of Luke being some sort of last hope...why should he have a shot at the child any more than any of the other Jedi that are, logically, still out there...?

10 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Seems like everything Filoni has done, and now by extension Favreau, with Clone Wars, Rebels, and The Mandolorian has really managed to minimize and marginalize the effect of Luke being some sort of last hope...why should he have a shot at the child any more than any of the other Jedi that are, logically, still out there...?

The OT did that too. 

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Hmmmm...I was looking for the bird, but never saw it...but those were totally Lothcats...

Reveal hidden contents

Thrawn is actually a bit of a sticky issue for the franchise in general...there's all these indications that he's quite possibly the best villain for the post ROTJ world...except he needed to be worked out of the story in Rebels...but if he came back, he'd be better than resurrecting Palpatine...or developing a First Order...

Name drop him, use him in a live action Asoka show...all of it, but as villains go, people will gravitate towards him more than anything in the sequels and then those movies marginalize even more...maybe the whole post OT time can be rewritten!

I think the bird is visible in a tree right when he's walking into Ahsoka's camp and telling Gurgi* to watch out for her.

* always hungry, poor grammar - checks out!

I have a theory about something that was revealed in the most recent episode:

Spoiler

I think Baby Yoda's real name, Grogu, is a Star Wars-ified version of George. The consonants are the same and so is the vowel sound between them, but with the vowel(sound) and the second consonant reversed. The "U" at the end makes sense to further Star Wars-ify the name especially when you can kind of see why other vowel(sound)s are ruled out, I think. Groga is too much like Yoda; Groge is either just Groag or Grogay, the latter might work I suppose; Grogi is too much like hoagie and looks too much like groggy; Grogo is too much like Drogo. Heck, maybe the "U" was borrowed from George's last name.

My guess is Dave Filoni came up with it and if he did, did so as a tribute to GL, and/or was inspired by his name.

5 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I hope that Kyle Katarn is mentioned at some point. I know it would be an older reference but he is my favourite non-Kotor legendes character.

I'm hoping Dash Rendar from Shadows of the Empire shows up at some point, and then is just immediately killed. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Realistically, could Leia have actually lived up to it? Probably not. Just accept that Yoda and Obi-Wan weren't all knowing. 

Don't wanna derail the thread talking about the OT again, but sure she could. All Luke did was appeal to his father and get him to turn back to the light. I don't see why Leia couldn't have done that. Luke's Jedi skills weren't really a factor in his success there. 

It seems clear now that Luke wasn't special because he was one of the last potential jedi or anything, but because he was the chosen one's kid and might be able to get through to him. 

6 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I hope that Kyle Katarn is mentioned at some point. I know it would be an older reference but he is my favourite non-Kotor legendes character.

It's an older reference, sir, but it checks out.

Spoiler

Also given that a couple of episodes back (why do these episodes not have names?) I'm pretty sure we saw some Dark Troopers in production I'm thinking the possibility is open.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Realistically, could Leia have actually lived up to it? Probably not. Just accept that Yoda and Obi-Wan weren't all knowing. 

That's fine. Except that the subsequent shows that fill in the blanks between movies and flesh out the story as a whole make it clear that Yoda specifically, but also Obi-Wan, knew a lot more about the state of some Jedi and Jedi connected force users after Order 66...

13 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Don't wanna derail the thread talking about the OT again, but sure she could. All Luke did was appeal to his father and get him to turn back to the light. I don't see why Leia couldn't have done that. Luke's Jedi skills weren't really a factor in his success there. 

It seems clear now that Luke wasn't special because he was one of the last potential jedi or anything, but because he was the chosen one's kid and might be able to get through to him. 

This helps make the story work more, if Luke isn't as special to the Force as the OT wants us to believe...and really, shows that the whole Skywalker aspect of the story in Episodes IV thru IX isn't really overly important in the grand scheme of things...

40 minutes ago, Poobah said:

It's an older reference, sir, but it checks out.

Hide contents

Also given that a couple of episodes back (why do these episodes not have names?) I'm pretty sure we saw some Dark Troopers in production I'm thinking the possibility is open.

Ummm... they do have names for the episodes.  This one was The Jedi.

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Ummm... they do have names for the episodes.  This one was The Jedi.

Oh that's odd, on my D+ the first season listed each episode in the format "Chapter 3: The Sin" whereas this season the episodes are just named Chapter 9, Chapter 10, Chapter 11 etc. with no further episode name given.

52 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

That's fine. Except that the subsequent shows that fill in the blanks between movies and flesh out the story as a whole make it clear that Yoda specifically, but also Obi-Wan, knew a lot more about the state of some Jedi and Jedi connected force users after Order 66...

Bah! Added material to make demigods not look like idiots! 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

If by "get through him" you mean "not get immediately cut down", I think we can agree. Though I want to point out that Yoda and Obi-Wan pointedly didn't have any hopes for Luke being able to turn him, they wanted him to kill his father. Similarly they thought Leia would be the only one with enough raw potential to take Vader on and Leia at least wouldn't give a shit about trying to appeal to Vader's consciousness.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

But Vader was already feeling a connection with Luke, which is what Luke exploited. Leia, with training, could have taken Vader on, but who knows in what position the Rebels would have been by then. Yoda and Obi-Wan were way too inactive in getting Anakin's children ready to help bring down the Empire.

16 minutes ago, Toth said:

If by "get through him" you mean "not get immediately cut down", I think we can agree. Though I want to point out that Yoda and Obi-Wan pointedly didn't have any hopes for Luke being able to turn him, they wanted him to kill his father. Similarly they thought Leia would be the only one with enough raw potential to take Vader on and Leia at least wouldn't give a shit about trying to appeal to Vader's consciousness.

14 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

But Vader was already feeling a connection with Luke, which is what Luke exploited. Leia, with training, could have taken Vader on, but who knows in what position the Rebels would have been by then. Yoda and Obi-Wan were way too inactive in getting Anakin's children ready to help bring down the Empire.

I replied in the other thread.

1 hour ago, Poobah said:

Oh that's odd, on my D+ the first season listed each episode in the format "Chapter 3: The Sin" whereas this season the episodes are just named Chapter 9, Chapter 10, Chapter 11 etc. with no further episode name given.

Yeah, mine lists it that way as well.  The episode titles show just after the opening credits

My guess is that there is some very specific reasoning behind setting this show so soon after RotJ vs. after or concurrent with the sequels. Otherwise, the simplest thing to do would be to set it at the same time as the sequels and then set up a new series or even films beyond the Rise of Skywalker. While I have a lot of faith in this creative team to stick the landing, it is too bad that whatever story is being told here must end with the side-lining of these characters*, like 'Rebels' did with Ezra.

* unless Grogu gets turned into Snoke somehow and or Din is Hux or Poes' dad.

4 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Because Luke is a Jedi Master who is starting a Jedi Academy. It's past time to recast and slowly erase the sequels from collective conscience, like a disappeared General from a Soviet group photo.

Archived