The Mandalorian

RumHam

In all the many, many, many, times I wondered what it would be like to see

Spoiler

Boba Fett (of whom I was never more than a passing fan) in live action again.

I never once imagined

Spoiler

he'd be super zen, straight merc'n motherfuckers with a gaffi stick.

And it wasn't dumb! It was awesome! There were like forty storm troopers! There

Spoiler

were Dark Troopers!

And it was cool! And mainstream! Can you believe it!?! I remember being afraid that guys would ask me what I was reading when Vector Prime came out. I felt like such a dweeb when I walked into the Sci-fi/Fantasy section at Barnes and Noble to buy Star Wars: Bloodlines and

Spoiler

Boba goddamn Fett was on the cover.

It's on the equivalent of TV, now. And it's fun! It's not kiddie time bullshit like Rebels or about the boring-ass Clone Wars. Get the fuck over your own sophistication and sure sighted derision for 45 minutes and have some fun you psychos. My god, what entitled wretches some of you are become.

2 hours ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

Sure? But they should at least value the troop transports. 

Mostly, its just stupidly inconsistent. You shouldn't do what you did if you can blow up the Crest first. You shouldn't do what you did if you can launch the dark troopers- you should wait until the enemy is engaged and then send down the troopers, not when your forces are almost routed. You shouldn't send one set of troops in and then wait until they're mostly dead before sending in second sets. Each new bit of info we get shows how stupid the previous plans were. 

See that part I was happy to suspend disbelief and enjoy it, it was only the jetpack that bothered me.

The waves of reinforcements was another of those elements that feel like it's deliberately following video game format though. That's the why. I guess this was a little too much "Dragon Age 2" mob waves rather than something more seamless at least as far as Kal is concerned.

2 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

In all the many, many, many, times I wondered what it would be like to see

Hide contents

Boba Fett (of whom I was never more than a passing fan) in live action again.

I never once imagined

Hide contents

he'd be super zen, straight merc'n motherfuckers with a gaffi stick.

And it wasn't dumb! It was awesome! There were like forty storm troopers! There

Hide contents

were Dark Troopers!

And it was cool! And mainstream! Can you believe it!?! I remember being afraid that guys would ask me what I was reading when Vector Prime came out. I felt like such a dweeb when I walked into the Sci-fi/Fantasy section at Barnes and Noble to buy Star Wars: Bloodlines and

Hide contents

Boba goddamn Fett was on the cover.

It's on the equivalent of TV, now. And it's fun! It's not kiddie time bullshit like Rebels or about the boring-ass Clone Wars. Get the fuck over your own sophistication and sure sighted derision for 45 minutes and have some fun you psychos. My god, what entitled wretches some of you are become.

Your new walk up music:

It's pretty much kiddie time bullshit. And that's fine! I enjoyed Rebels mostly, and I enjoyed Clone Wars mostly. But it ain't anything more than live action Rebels with the same kind of stupid dialog and silly, fun plots. 

You know TV shows are produced on budgets, right? And there are limited amounts of Stormtrooper armor/ shooting hours in the schedule to go around right?

They did their best and it looked cool as fuck.

It did! I thought it was nifty as hell, and I also think anyone trying to justify the tactics or whatever is entirely pulling it out of their ass. I can enjoy this and also recognize how deeply stupid parts of it are. It doesn't have to be smart to be enjoyable. But if you're going to tell me that it's somehow highbrow entertainment that makes sense? C'mon, man. 

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Gasp! You shut your gosh darn mouth, Jace. Slow your roll, Jace.

Why are people getting bent out of shape over Storm Trooper abuse? That's literally the only thing they're good at. Boba going beast mode was pretty awesome, actually.

It was awesome! It was kind of weird that stormtroopers would just forget to, ya know, shoot at him until they were close by, but that's not uncommon to this genre - John Wick does this all the time. 

I'm less complaining about stormtrooper abuse and more complaining about Scheduled Wave of Enemies. I would like the video game elements of this story be slightly more subtle. 

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

People complaining about Stormtroopers dying and not being effective in a Star Wars thread does make me think I may have hit my head and this is all a dream.

Again, no problem with stormtroopers dying and not being effective, exactly - though it does make them kind of completely lame as a threat. It's more the trash you have to clean up before the boss; not a threat, just time consuming. I have a problem with the Empire in general - especially this supposedly smart commander - being exceptionally stupid. 

8 hours ago, Poobah said:

Two ships that both have very large visible guns on them, that we will not use at all.

Right, but a gunship doesn’t help in this situation. If your shoot at Mando, he’s gonna stay in cover somewhere near Grogu. They aren’t trying to kill Mando or Grogu, that’s not the aim. With troops on the ground, there’s a risk from Mando’s POV that they fan out and approach the hill from all sides where he can’t defend. So he goes to meet them while they’re still clustered, leaving Grogu vulnerable. OK, the second wave was convenient for action purposes, maybe they were supposed to land together and got delayed. I dunno. Still, doesn’t even crack the top 20 of flawed Star Wars plans. It was just awesome to see.

8 hours ago, teej6 said:

Just came across this video. Don’t care much for the youtuber but listen to what Filoni says... this guy should have spearheaded the sequels not fu#%^ing Kathleen Kennedy or JJ Abrams. Filoni understands Star Wars and Lucas’ story. I know a lot of people hate the prequels, but it worked for me cause SW, for me, was always about the Skywalker family and the prequels brought it full circle. It showed the rise of a young, basically good person who had everything but fails because of his insecurities and fear.

The prequels are a Shakespearean tragedy but then it folds well into the OT which gives the viewer hope. Luke was always the perfect Jedi because he was not detached or emotionally deprived like the others. He cared deeply for his friends, his father and finally his love for his father and his selflessness saved his father. Yoda and Obi Wan in the OT wanted Luke to kill Anakin because they thought that was the only way. Luke, on the other hand, from the very beginning wanted to save him. He thought like Padme, who with her dying breath told Obi Wan “there is still good in him”.

From a Luke who loves and cares so deeply that he won’t kill his father despite said father being a mass murderer, we go to a Luke in the sequels who attempts to kill his sister’s son (who he’s a teacher/ mentor to as well) for something he thinks his nephew will do in the future. Just sheer madness.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the Mandalorian thread. Just came across Filoni’s view on SW and was so disappointed that Disney didn’t make use of him for the sequels.

Seems like perfectly Mandalorian related content to me, it’s from the Mandalorian documentary featuring the makers of ... The Mandolorian. I don’t agree that all of what he says is fully intentional in the prequels, but totally agree that Filoni clearly has a passion for Star Wars, and he’s absolutely the right man for the job.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Seems like perfectly Mandalorian related content to me, it’s from the Mandalorian documentary featuring the makers of ... The Mandolorian. I don’t agree that all of what he says is fully intentional in the prequels, but totally agree that Filoni clearly has a passion for Star Wars, and he’s absolutely the right man for the job.

Yeah I just started watching Disney Gallery: Star Wars: The Mandalorian. Didn’t know such a thing existed until now. Filoni’s passion is clearly visible in the Ep titled Legacy. 

5 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Right, but a gunship doesn’t help in this situation. If your shoot at Mando, he’s gonna stay in cover somewhere near Grogu. They aren’t trying to kill Mando or Grogu, that’s not the aim. With troops on the ground, there’s a risk from Mando’s POV that they fan out and approach the hill from all sides where he can’t defend. So he goes to meet them while they’re still clustered, leaving Grogu vulnerable. OK, the second wave was convenient for action purposes, maybe they were supposed to land together and got delayed. I dunno. Still, doesn’t even crack the top 20 of flawed Star Wars plans. It was just awesome to see.

I mean you could drop off the troops then use the guns on the transports to provide air support in order to pin down the 3 measly defenders so your like 40 stormtroopers or whatever could get the job done. Honestly I don't really know why I'm arguing about these silly things, I mostly agree with @Jace, Basilissa about shutting off my brain and enjoying the fun... I think partly it's that there's been a sense in the reception of Mando and even this is something I bought in to, that this is a high quality show and I think some of my disappointment with some of the recent silliness is more related to my expectations rather than just seeing and enjoying it for what it is. Mando is certainly entertaining as fuck and it has fantastic production values, but the glaring levels of absurd contrivances in this particular ep did really knock my suspension of disbelief.

Of course it's super fun to watch Boba wreck a bunch of troopers! But as far as I understand it almost everything in the show is done with that new CGI tech so they don't actually need to do any location filming and almost everything we see that isn't actors is CG so those troop transports didn't need to have guns, they literally CGI'd on that particular plot hole. And in the same vein they could've had that fight take place in a forest or canyon where it makes more sense for one dude and a sniper to be able to ambush and slaughter all the hapless stormtroopers and where they'd be more limited in their ability to flank and use their numbers, or had it so there's not enough room for both troop transports to land at once to justify the waves. I have no idea what they could have done about the jetpack situation but I'm not a professional script writer, though I guess neither did they  :dunno:

I dunno about the storm trooper's capacity to do anything right but they can hit beskar armour pretty well. :P

Spoiler

At least the Lego Razor Crest now comes pre-built. Just open up the box, pile up the pieces into a nice crater and add a spear and a ball for completionist sake on top. (Not sure why I need to spoiler this but whatever)

People, this isn’t some deep thought inducing show and I hope it never is. It’s a fun show set in SW universe, enjoy it for what it is. 
It was nice to see Boba Fett do something! I haven’t watched the animated shows so for me this was the first time I have seen him do anything to earn his badass badge. 

3 hours ago, dbunting said:

People, this isn’t some deep thought inducing show and I hope it never is. It’s a fun show set in SW universe, enjoy it for what it is. 
It was nice to see Boba Fett do something! I haven’t watched the animated shows so for me this was the first time I have seen him do anything to earn his badass badge. 

I don't think he does anything badass in the animated shows. In Clone Wars he's still a kid, I don't think he ever appeared in Rebels? 

Attack of The Clones was on TV last night and I happened to catch a glimpse of Jango Fett. Totally different armor, not sure why they retconned that. 

57 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I don't think he does anything badass in the animated shows. In Clone Wars he's still a kid, I don't think he ever appeared in Rebels? 

Attack of The Clones was on TV last night and I happened to catch a glimpse of Jango Fett. Totally different armor, not sure why they retconned that. 

Didn't he break out of prison and hijack a republic ship at some point?  That kid was a little shit disturber.

The armor was a little beat up and he gave it a paint job at some point. What of it?

14 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Didn't he break out of prison and hijack a republic ship at some point?  That kid was a little shit disturber.

The armor was a little beat up and he gave it a paint job at some point. What of it?

His thing was pretty much "kill the guy who killed my dad in front of me" no? He was a bit of a shit I guess. 

Was it really just a paint job? I wasn't looking at them side by side but they looked quite different. Previously it was said to be different armor. He blew up the helmet, for one thing. For another how would he even have gotten the rest of his dad's armor? I don't see how he could have hauled it away in the middle of a battle.

Maybe that's "a story for another time" like the lightsaber being recovered from Bespin. 

20 hours ago, Kalbear Total Landscaping said:

But it ain't anything more than live action Rebels with the same kind of stupid dialog and silly, fun plots. 

This is every Star Wars movie other than 'Rogue One'? New Hope has a garbage compactor squid creature on a state of the art space station - that's exactly the kind of stuff that happened on 'Rebels' too. 'Jedi' has the Ewoks, etc...  That's the spirit of Star Wars I think - broad, family entertainment in a richly imagined setting.

22 hours ago, dbunting said:

I'm glad you enjoy it.  Some people want more than that though but I guess that isn't allowed lol.

6 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

I'm glad you enjoy it.  Some people want more than that though but I guess that isn't allowed lol.

This is what you are getting. Pray that Disney doesn't alter the deal further.

But really, the show didn't have depth from the start, it was clear what it was. It's not like GoT, which started strong, seemed to have depth, mainly because it had material to work with, then got dumber as the seasons progressed.

Archived