The Mandalorian

RumHam

Lots to like in this episode

Spoiler

Loved the TPS report drop! Also the cheers as the hero’s arrive alive. And again, why drive that volatile stuff when you have ships and floating land cruisers? And as other stated, spears and high tech bombs and cars? Never even thought about the absurdity of the mandostach under his helmet. 

One of my favorite episodes yet

51 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

wasn't he Joe Chill in Batman Begins?

Yes.  Which makes sense that Burr would know him, since Burr's boss in the first season - Mark Boone Junior - played Jim Gordon's corrupt partner.

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

The guy that played Valin Hess was really good. I thought he looked familiar, and apparently he’s been in a ton of stuff I’ve seen: GoT, Mandy, a bunch of Rob Zombie movies, Death of Stalin, Peaky Blinders...

He played the first Night King, most memorably seen in the Hardhome episode.

19 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

So am I understanding Bill Burr’s comments correctly that...

Hide contents

Mandalore no longer exists? It sounded like he said both Alderaan and Mandalore “ain’t there anymore”. Is that what the purge was?

In the Bo-Katan episode it seemed like Din had been told it was destroyed but Bo knew it wasn't and was working to restore it."

Not sure it requires spoiler tags, but isn't it cannon that Mandalore was destroyed years ago, and that like the Jedi, there are just a few pockets of Mandalorians here and there?

My understanding is, and I've heard people way more plugged in than me say as much, that Mandalorians are basically Jews to the Empire's Nazis. 

My interpretation was that the actual planet is still there, unlike Alderaan, but that the Mandalorians have all been driven away in a sort of diaspora. There's some cool potential in having Din visit the world, and Bo-Katan's attempt to rebuild it, so I hope we'll see it in season 3 or 4. Seems like a waste to just have the planet destroyed.

13 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

My interpretation was that the actual planet is still there, unlike Alderaan, but that the Mandalorians have all been driven away in a sort of diaspora.

Agreed, that's my interpretation as well.  Pretty sure Katee Sackoff (that's Bo Katan right?) explicitly said her group's goal was to reclaim Mandalore in that episode she was in.  One would assume that means it wasn't vaporized or whatever like Alderaan.

Just now, DMC said:

Agreed, that's my interpretation as well.  Pretty sure Katee Sackoff (that's Bo Katan right?) explicitly said her group's goal was to reclaim Mandalore in that episode she was in.  One would assume that means it wasn't vaporized or whatever like Alderaan.

Yep, that's her, and I also I think she said something in that vein (rebuild maybe?). If Mandalore was truly gone I think some character would have brought that up at this point.

Can't find the Twitter thread where I read this, sadly, but

the writer was praising Pascal for his physical acting without the helmet, because when he takes it off, he moves his head as if he were still wearing it. Like, he always looks at people directly, because in the helmet he has limited peripheral vision. When he needs to look down, he inclines his head. When he needs to look to the side, he turns to face what he's looking at. Because he wears the helmet all the time, so that's just how he moves.

It's a pretty subtle but effective bit of acting/directing, adding to the effect that Pascal achieves of looking so uncomfortable without the helmet. It's really good.

Still tagging spoilers? Just in case...

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Can't find the Twitter thread where I read this, sadly, but

Reveal hidden contents

the writer was praising Pascal for his physical acting without the helmet, because when he takes it off, he moves his head as if he were still wearing it. Like, he always looks at people directly, because in the helmet he has limited peripheral vision. When he needs to look down, he inclines his head. When he needs to look to the side, he turns to face what he's looking at. Because he wears the helmet all the time, so that's just how he moves.

It's a pretty subtle but effective bit of acting/directing, adding to the effect that Pascal achieves of looking so uncomfortable without the helmet. It's really good.

Spoiler

Yeah that was nicely done by Pascal, because it looked awkward as f%ck. Couple this with his fighting off them "pirates" in subpar armour and wearing a helmet (the same type Mayfield took off claiming he couldn't see anything). It all shows the lengths he will go to for the kid. He was very much out of his comfort zone this episode, but it follows interestingly from the previous episode where Boba showed how devastating one could be without Mandalorian armour - if one has the will and the training. This is a way.

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not sure it requires spoiler tags, but isn't it cannon that Mandalore was destroyed years ago, and that like the Jedi, there are just a few pockets of Mandalorians here and there?

My understanding is, and I've heard people way more plugged in than me say as much, that Mandalorians are basically Jews to the Empire's Nazis. 

Likely Mandalore was turned into a wasteland, but it's still there. The Purge takes place post-battle of Yavin, so no DS to destroy it.

Another week, but I feel like I could just copy paste my opinion of last week's episode. Enjoyable, but stupid. I think pretty much everything has been said already. It is what it is. 

No wonder the storm troopers are always getting their asses kicked, no discipline at all. Just look at those sloppy ass salutes. And is that how you act around a superior officer? jfc.

Boba repainted his armour, guess that time in the sarlaac taught him the value of good maintenance. Or maybe it was realizing his demise was caused by his jet pack malfunctioning.

So the helmet off for the second time was a little bit anti-climatic, perhaps deliberately so. I thought he was gonna take it off when he was with the others all dramatic like. "you won't be going alone" *helmet off*

The Mando showing just how used to his armour he is in all sorts of ways is pretty great. I especially like how he's kind of awkward without the helmet to hide his face and make him intimidating. If he can't just scare the shit out of everyone with his presence he doesn't know how to deal.

Wasn't Mandalore pretty much a barren nuclear wasteland in the Clones Wars series? Not sure how much more you can destroy it.

And damn the Cantina scene. Kind of a pity the imperial officer is dead, cause he owned that scene. Satisfying as hell to see him go though.

14 hours ago, ithanos said:

Still tagging spoilers? Just in case...

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah that was nicely done by Pascal, because it looked awkward as f%ck. Couple this with his fighting off them "pirates" in subpar armour and wearing a helmet (the same type Mayfield took off claiming he couldn't see anything). It all shows the lengths he will go to for the kid. He was very much out of his comfort zone this episode, but it follows interestingly from the previous episode where Boba showed how devastating one could be without Mandalorian armour - if one has the will and the training. This is a way.

My favourite bit was when he:

Spoiler

Blocked the enemy's staff with his Beskar-clad forearm, but of course isn't wearing Beskar, so yells in pain and then gives a look of, "Oh yeah."

Being way too reliant on his armour is a problem.

Likely Mandalore was turned into a wasteland, but it's still there. The Purge takes place post-battle of Yavin, so no DS to destroy it.

A couple of Star Destroyers can incinerate a planet's surface from orbit given a few days, or they could have used Operation Cinder (orbital weaponised satellites), which is even mentioned in this ep.

Archived