Am I the only one hoping Jon and Dany doesn't become a thing?

Alyn Oakenfist

2 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

Maribald is an exception. The general view of the Faith (and most of Westeros for the first part) is that bastards are bad and the Old Gods are a savage religion, uncivilized.

More and more septon and members of the Faith are coming from smallfolk. The smallfolk don't hate baseborn like the nobility. Said so earlier

Did you read a word of what I said!? Forgive my impoliteness. The hatred is on the new Red Rahloo. Not the passive trees coexisting for centuries. 

17 minutes ago, CamiloRP said:

Why do you think all Dothraki don't have empathy? What's the reason?

Coz we haven't seen it yet. Empathy. From any Dothraki. They view women as goods. Kill without remorse. Take pride in mass slaughter, genocide, rape pillage. Blah blah blah 

33 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

More and more septon and members of the Faith are coming from smallfolk. The smallfolk don't hate baseborn like the nobility. Said so earlier

Popular wisdom says that bastards aren't trustworthy and similar things, those are the opinions of the smallfolk as well. 

Did you read a word of what I said!? Forgive my impoliteness. The hatred is on the new Red Rahloo. Not the passive trees coexisting for centuries. 

I did read it, I just don't agree, there are several instances of southerners thinking the Old Gods represent a savage religion, and it's the general case with the FOTS.

38 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

He belongs to a group of people who revel in slaughter, pillaging, murder, rape and more. His culture is fucked up. As a byproduct he too is. Same with Slaver's Bay's good masters and such. 

It's not the same situation with the slavers, the slavers have opportunities to know what they do is wrong and change, and they don't do it. Dothraki don't have that opportunity. Yes, the culture is fucked up, as are most cultures, but he's a product of that culture, and there was little more he could've been.

32 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Coz we haven't seen it yet. Empathy. From any Dothraki. They view women as goods. Kill without remorse. Take pride in mass slaughter, genocide, rape pillage. Blah blah blah 

Drogo has empathy with Dany in their wedding night, he shows kindness to Jorah, he shows concern for his future son. They have empathy for their people, they care about them, and their horses too. Dany's Khalassar shows empathy in her fight, and even one of her handmaids falls for a pit fighter, you can't have love without empathy, and Drogo did love Dany.

What Alyn is doing is even worse tho, he claims that most of the Dothraki are worse than the rest of humanity, but he doesn't think it's a cultural thing, meaning what? does he think they are biologically prone to be worse?

6 minutes ago, CamiloRP said:

What Alyn is doing is even worse tho, he claims that most of the Dothraki are worse than the rest of humanity, but he doesn't think it's a cultural thing, meaning what? does he think they are biologically prone to be worse?

Oh, don't get me wrong, it is a cultural thing, it's from how they were raised and such, but were the two of us disagree is on the fact that I don't believe your culture excuses anything you do. You're just as guilty whether you do it in the context of your culture or on it's own.

54 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, it is a cultural thing, it's from how they were raised and such, but were the two of us disagree is on the fact that I don't believe your culture excuses anything you do. You're just as guilty whether you do it in the context of your culture or on it's own.

well, that's comforting at the very least :)

If one looked at a real world example, I think it would be like comparing a tribe that raids for slaves, with transatlantic slave traders, and the Haitian sugar planters that work them to death.  The first is very bad, but I think the moral guilt of the latter two groups is greater, as they have more opportunity to know that what they do is wrong, and more alternatives to make a living. 

I don't see Jon and Dany happening. If this story was your typical medieval fantasy story written by someone else then sure, but this isn't your typical medieval fantasy book, and nor is GRRM your typical writer. GRRM deconstructs the medieval fantasy archetypes and story lines and reconstructs them into something you wouldn't expect. Based on that Jon and Dany is highly impossible. If anything they are more likely to end up as enemies than lovers. 

32 minutes ago, Elegant Woes said:

I don't see Jon and Dany happening. If this story was your typical medieval fantasy story written by someone else then sure, but this isn't your typical medieval fantasy book, and nor is GRRM your typical writer. GRRM deconstructs the medieval fantasy archetypes and story lines and reconstructs them into something you wouldn't expect. Based on that Jon and Dany is highly impossible. If anything they are more likely to end up as enemies than lovers. 

I would think so.  The story is the conflict between Ice (death, darkness, despair) and Fire (life and light).  Jon and the Starks will support the White Walkers and lead an army of wights.  Their wights make it to the Trident and get melted with dragon fire.  Ice will hold the North for the duration of winter but their reign ends with the arrival of summer.

4 hours ago, Rondo said:

I would think so.  The story is the conflict between Ice (death, darkness, despair) and Fire (life and light).  Jon and the Starks will support the White Walkers and lead an army of wights.  Their wights make it to the Trident and get melted with dragon fire.  Ice will hold the North for the duration of winter but their reign ends with the arrival of summer.

If the Starks are ice and the Targaryens fire, why didn't Jeahearys and Alysanne put an end to the evil cannible ice demon tree people when they had a chance? Instead of Alysanne befriending Lord Stark? Kind of makes your theory seem unlikely, all things considered.

On 12/1/2020 at 6:11 PM, SeanF said:

If one looked at a real world example, I think it would be like comparing a tribe that raids for slaves, with transatlantic slave traders, and the Haitian sugar planters that work them to death.  The first is very bad, but I think the moral guilt of the latter two groups is greater, as they have more opportunity to know that what they do is wrong, and more alternatives to make a living. 

tribes need slaves mostly to sell them to more advanced societies. when nobody buys slaves no slaves are taken. I do not think medieval pagan scandinavians or balts who used slaves to work on farms qualify as "tribes".

It is hard to compare Dothraki to anything that existed in the real world. I think they are supposed to be kind of central asia folks. But if Mongols behaved like the Dothraki (football hooligans on vodka and amphetamine), they would have killed each other before they have even left central asia. D are fictionary amalgam of brutish and repulsive traits (same with the slavers of the slavers bay btw... even more) and there is nothing wrong with hating them without any deeper reflection.   

I would prefer someone better for Daenerys because I am her fan.  A bachelor like Wilas Tyrell would work.  His family has the resources to feed a large army.  The north has little to offer and Jon Snow should at least try to keep his vows to the NW.  The only one for whom Jon will break his vows for is Arya.  I can see Jon leaving the NW in order to live as man and woman with Arya later as the story continues.

8 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

If the Starks are ice and the Targaryens fire, why didn't Jeahearys and Alysanne put an end to the evil cannible ice demon tree people when they had a chance? Instead of Alysanne befriending Lord Stark? Kind of makes your theory seem unlikely, all things considered.

More importantly why did the outline list 3 main threats in the novels as:  

1. The game of Thrones

2. Daenerys 

3. The Others

On 12/6/2020 at 2:25 PM, Rondo said:

The author views ice as negative and fire as positive ( if potentially chaotic).  But, why would the Starks support wights, unless they were killed and transformed into wights?

Archived