College Football: We're Seriously Still Doing This?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

• 3 weeks later...

Notre Dame to withhold name and image licensing from EA Sports NCAA Football

Yeah, they say it’s because they want to wait for NIL legislation, but to me the translation is "They aren’t paying us enough to use our logos, so we are going to grandstand on unrelated issues to make us look superior."

On 2/23/2021 at 7:51 AM, Rhom said:

Notre Dame to withhold name and image licensing from EA Sports NCAA Football

Yeah, they say it’s because they want to wait for NIL legislation, but to me the translation is "They aren’t paying us enough to use our logos, so we are going to grandstand on unrelated issues to make us look superior."

The bit about wanting the players compensated for their likenesses is on-its-face absurd.

Anyone see this article?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30991657/texas-president-jay-hartzell-addresses-song-controversy-says-vocal-critics-do-not-represent-values-longhorn-community

The Tribune reported that several messages said Black players who take issue with the history of the song should leave UT.

"It's time for you to put the foot down and make it perfectly clear that the heritage of Texas will not be lost," wrote another donor whose name was redacted. "It is sad that it is offending the Blacks. As I said before the Blacks are free and it's time for them to move on to another state where everything is in their favor."

I won't take that as a representative viewpoint but just wow.

1 hour ago, WarGalley said:

The second paragraph says this

The Tribune said that, of more than 300 emails sent to Hartzell between June and October, 70% demanded the school keep playing the song and about 75 emails included threats of financial retribution by donors if players didn't support the tradition.

So I would say it is representative.

• 3 months later...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/10/college-football-playoff-expansion-12-teams/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wp_main

The College Football Playoff committee, and then also the CFP board of managers, will vote on a recommended proposal this month to expand the playoffs to 12 teams. It would be the 6 highest ranked conference championship teams as well as the next 6 highest-ranked teams. The 4 highest ranked conference champions would get a round 1 bye, and it would be 4 rounds total. If approved, it would NOT go into effect this coming season. There's some unknown period of additional research/consideration time that would happen first.

Personally, I would be more interested in the CFP if this proposal happened; and I think this probably represents the best chance that non-power conference teams will ever have in getting a shot at the national championship. I do wonder if this would be too many games for the players though? I also imagine some folks might be concerned about this starting things down the path of devaluing the regular season too much; but at this point I don't think that would be a major issue.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/10/college-football-playoff-expansion-12-teams/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=wp_main

The College Football Playoff committee, and then also the CFP board of managers, will vote on a recommended proposal this month to expand the playoffs to 12 teams. It would be the 6 highest ranked conference championship teams as well as the next 6 highest-ranked teams. The 4 highest ranked conference champions would get a round 1 bye, and it would be 4 rounds total. If approved, it would NOT go into effect this coming season. There's some unknown period of additional research/consideration time that would happen first.

Personally, I would be more interested in the CFP if this proposal happened; and I think this probably represents the best chance that non-power conference teams will ever have in getting a shot at the national championship. I do wonder if this would be too many games for the players though? I also imagine some folks might be concerned about this starting things down the path of devaluing the regular season too much; but at this point I don't think that would be a major issue.

It shouldn't devalue the regular season because if you aren't ranked high enough when it ends then you are left out.

They other bigger issue is SEC bias. Yes the top 2-3 teams are really strong every year but the 4-8 teams in SEC get more credit sometimes than they deserve, so it will be champs plus 3 or 4 SEC teams every year. SEC vs everyone else.

12 teams

SEC 4-5 teams

B1G 10, champs and OSU if they didn't win it

ACC just Clemson and a random every 7 years

Big 12, I could see avg 2 per year, Ok, Tex, Ok state, some combination

PAC, champ only, basically same as ACC

That's almost 12 spots already. Will see if the rankings stay consistent or if leap frogging happens at the end of the year.

32 minutes ago, dbunting said:

It shouldn't devalue the regular season because if you aren't ranked high enough when it ends then you are left out.

They other bigger issue is SEC bias. Yes the top 2-3 teams are really strong every year but the 4-8 teams in SEC get more credit sometimes than they deserve, so it will be champs plus 3 or 4 SEC teams every year. SEC vs everyone else.

12 teams

SEC 4-5 teams

B1G 10, champs and OSU if they didn't win it

ACC just Clemson and a random every 7 years

Big 12, I could see avg 2 per year, Ok, Tex, Ok state, some combination

PAC, champ only, basically same as ACC

That's almost 12 spots already. Will see if the rankings stay consistent or if leap frogging happens at the end of the year.

All true. The big thing for me though is that it's the top 6 conference championships, not the top 5. So a mid-major is getting a shot each year too; though maybe it becomes the honorary Boise State invitation most years. I'm all about mid-major football. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think this change will actually add more value to the regular season. Two loss teams will still have a chance to make it so good teams will fight hard until the end of the season.

There is almost no incentive to schedule any hard ooc games though. That part of the regular season is done. 

21 minutes ago, Kal Corp said:

There is almost no incentive to schedule any hard ooc games though. That part of the regular season is done. 

I'm not so sure about that. You're obviously know more about the college game, but I feel like this change might make them more common because a loss is not the death blow it used to be, and losses to ranked teams early in the season won't be that a big deal if you go 11-1 the rest of the year, per se.

6 hours ago, Fez said:

Please tell this is not gonna result in even more uncompensated wear and tear on athletes knees and lower bodies. An expansion of the playoffs has to mean they play even more games right?

Considering the small window of time many players have available for Pro games, anything that lengthens their amateur load cannot be justified. I would not be for any increase in games unless these athletes are compensated. The body parts that make them great in college have a finite durability, especially backs.

The greed involved with this is stunning.

Maybe give the TV money for this shit to the players at least. Fuckit and 70% of the gate as well.

8 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Please tell this is not gonna result in even more uncompensated wear and tear on athletes knees and lower bodies. An expansion of the playoffs has to mean they play even more games right?

Absolutely it'll mean more games. The first game would take the place of a regular bowl game (though the first round games are going to be at campuses, rather than be a special trip for the players), which means between 4 to 8 teams (depending on how many of the first round bye teams lose their second round game) will have the same number of games as before. But the other 4 to 8 teams will have 1-3 additional games depending on how far they make it. 

Which, yeah, is a problem if the players aren't getting compensated for the additional wear and tear (and likely shortening of their professional careers to some degree as a result).

Archived