Best Marriage Matches for Dany and Jon

The Commentator

Jon is a man of the Nights Watch.  Marriage is not in the cards for this fellow.  At least not what Westeros traditionally considers a marriage.  He could leave the order but he will not be able to live within the kingdom.  He can go beyond the wall and do what he wants with anybody. Man or woman.  Or bears if he wants to.  Val, Arya, anybody he wants.  Put Shireen on the list.  Girls grow up and become women.

Daenerys is not limited by oaths but there is a very strong social expectations to marry “acceptable” males.  Daario is out.  So are Victorian, Euron, Theon, and Tyrion. Even Jorah is out.  Unification is the desired objective and the choice of choices is to marry a Blackfyre.  Aegon.  Barring that, Willas Tyrell might be a good choice.  A disruptor like the Greyjoy’s is counter to unification.  Ex-slaver Jorah is ruled out.  

Jon and Val are meant to be.

Daenerys would probably be happiest with Edmure Tully, honestly. Edmure actually cares about his bannermen and smallfolk to the point that he’ll defend every village even when it’s a military mistake, surrender his home to the Lannisters to save lives, and shelter hundreds inside Riverrun while he battles it out with Tywin. Daenerys could easily respect that, and given what Roslin’s family did to Edmure’s on their wedding, it shouldn’t be too hard for Eddy to put her aside.

In Jon's case there are actually quite a lot of options. Keep in mind, I'm talking politically here, as a few are pretty gross.

- Sansa is a valid option weirdly enough, should he become King of the North and Lord of Winterfell, and R+L=J be common knowledge. His claim as Lyanna's son would be tenuous, and what better way to strengthen it then by marrying Ned's eldest daughter?

- Either of the Manderly girls would make sense for the similar reason of strengthening the North. Alys Karstark would have been even better, but she's no longer an option.

- Should he want to ally the Vale, one of Yohn Royce's girls makes sense (are there more then one, I can't remember but I know for a fact one was betrothed to the bloke Mya Stone had the hots for)

- Further South there are 2 major options, Arrianne and Margery. Now one of them will certainly marry Aegon, Arianne most likely, but should R+L=J be revealed, then the other is a perfectly valid choice.

- Shireen is another weird but plausible option, as it would draw Stannis's forces to him and solidify his claim as King.

- And finally Dany, obviously. Nothing quite like marrying an Unsullied army with 3 dragons attached that grants one of the best claims for the Throne.

In Dany's case however, there are far fewer options. The problem in being a female monarch in the Middle Ages is that it's really hard to keep your spouse in line. On the other hand she can't marry some powerless nobody. On the other she can't marry anyone who is high enough to pose a challenge. In historical terms the best examples of women with this problem were Mary and Elizabeth. Mary opted to marry Phillip who as King of Spain couldn't really exert any power in England, while Elizabeth opted not to marry. Any other choice and Dany's fucked. Marry too low and it's a really bad marriage, marry too high and she's basically giving up the Throne at that point. She is lucky in that she thinks (and probably is) she is barren so she doesn't need to marry for children. As such her options are 3:

- pull an Elizabeth and not marry, seeing as she thinks she's barren this is what I think she will do

- Marry Jon and rule alongside him using his dubious heritage to keep power (this is the best choice due to the fact that being the supposed son of Rhaegar and Lyanna he is a good match, but with all the doubt around him he'll never manage to overpower her, the best of 2 words for her)

- Marry Aegon and give him the power. This is certainly never going to happen, especially as Aegon will be married by that point.

1 hour ago, Canon Claude said:

Jon and Val are meant to be.

Daenerys would probably be happiest with Edmure Tully, honestly. Edmure actually cares about his bannermen and smallfolk to the point that he’ll defend every village even when it’s a military mistake, surrender his home to the Lannisters to save lives, and shelter hundreds inside Riverrun while he battles it out with Tywin. Daenerys could easily respect that, and given what Roslin’s family did to Edmure’s on their wedding, it shouldn’t be too hard for Eddy to put her aside.

I like Edmure but he disobeyed Robb Stark's orders to stay put.  He is a liability during war.

2 minutes ago, Kierria said:

I like Edmure but he disobeyed Robb Stark's orders to stay put.  He is a liability during war.

He disobeyed nothing. It wasn't Edmure's fault that his orders were for him to hold Riverrun and nothing else. Robb was to blame for not communicating with him and somehow thinking he could telepathically guess his plans. Given the information available Edmure made the best possible decision.

The best-case scenario for Daenerys, politically-speaking, would be for something to happen to Selyse so that she could marry Stannis. It would likely be an unhappy marriage, but if would allow her to remove an opponent and absorb his forces. It would also give her a de-facto heir in Shireen, should Dany fail to have any children of her own. After Jon, Stannis/Shireen have the best claim to the Iron Throne.

4 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The best-case scenario for Daenerys, politically-speaking, would be for something to happen to Selyse so that she could marry Stannis. It would likely be an unhappy marriage, but if would allow her to remove an opponent and absorb his forces. It would also give her a de-facto heir in Shireen, should Dany fail to have any children of her own. After Jon, Stannis/Shireen have the best claim to the Iron Throne.

Stannis is also going through his own arc of caring about the plight of the people and the realm. He’s not fighting for his own cause anymore, he’s fighting to defend the realm from the Others, which is what everyone else should be doing.

6 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Good point, never thought about it. Add him to the list with Aegon and Jon

1 hour ago, Kierria said:

He's still the lord that Daenerys would be most likely to respect, given what Claude brought up. Daenerys wants to help the downtrodden, and this kind of attitude would be laughed at by almost every noble in the Seven Kingdoms. Just look at how even Catelyn thinks Edmure is a softie for doing his duty as a lord to his people.

The marriage match which heals the rift between the Targaryens and the Blackfyres is Aegon.  But George is not going to let the rift heal this easily.  And Aegon will have to survive Cersei and the Lannisters.  Tristane Martell and Willas Tyrell are the best of the bachelors.  Edmure Tully is not a bad choice either.  Hizdahr Zo Loraq is really not such a bad choice.  Hizdahr might change his ways if Marwyn arrives with convincing proof that a long winter is coming.  The Loraqs are a powerful old family.  They can sway public opinion to accept the refugees coming east from Westeros.  Daenerys' husbands will represent East and West.  I say why not a Dothraki khal.  This instantly adds a formidable cavalry to her already great infantry.   Jon already broke his vows.  Why anyone wants to see him fall farther down into dishonor is beyond me.  He should stay at the wall and do his job. 

5 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

He disobeyed nothing. It wasn't Edmure's fault that his orders were for him to hold Riverrun and nothing else. Robb was to blame for not communicating with him and somehow thinking he could telepathically guess his plans. Given the information available Edmure made the best possible decision.

Nope ! Edmure f***ed up at that point. He had clear orders, he disobeyed them and probably was THE reason Robbs campaign went south.

I´ve said it before, Edmure "might" be a well-meaning lord, but he surely isn´t a good one, that takes a lot more.

Not another thread! 

This Jon Dany, Stark Targ threads are being started more and more to just gather more views and replies. 

Mine even older 

:dunno:

There are way too many possibilities for either (Jon and Dany). 

And I wouldn't be surprised if this turned into a Stark Snow hate thread, considering the poster of the OP's rep and majority of the replies coming from infamous Stark hating Fairy Godmother Queen Dany worshippers 

All of Daenerys Targaryen's husbands will die.  The term "best match" will only mean who is best politically because that man is not going to last long.  Each treason will cause the death of husband, execution of the traitor, and a miracle.  Every husband will die.  She wins the people of each husband.  From Drogo, she took a portion of his khalasar as well as the title of khaleesi.  Hizdahr is not considered a husband by the prophecies because she will not inherit the people of Ghis.  They will always be enemies.  Second will give her Westeros, which is already hers anyway.  I expect this person will either be Aegon or Tristane. 

Jon will break his vows again and again.  He will end up in a relationship with Arya.  She is the love of his life. 

40 minutes ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

All of Daenerys Targaryen's husbands will die.  The term "best match" will only mean who is best politically because that man is not going to last long.  Each treason will cause the death of husband, execution of the traitor, and a miracle.  Every husband will die.  She wins the people of each husband.  From Drogo, she took a portion of his khalasar as well as the title of khaleesi.  Hizdahr is not considered a husband by the prophecies because she will not inherit the people of Ghis.  They will always be enemies.  Second will give her Westeros, which is already hers anyway.  I expect this person will either be Aegon or Tristane. 

You are forgetting one small thing. After Drogo dies, Dany doesn't have the Dothraki, she barely has a hundred of them. It will be only in TWOW when he finally gains the loyalty and support.

And this brings me to the larger picture. All her marriages and marriage proposals end up not only in failure or death, but with her becoming an outcast tot the people of the husband/suitor

- She married Drogo, we know how that turned out and she had to go into the Red Waste to escape the Khalasars.

- Xaro wanted to marry her. That goes nowhere and she ends up fleeing Qarth for her life

- Quentyn wants to marry her. That too ends up nowhere, and with Dorne throwing their weigh after Aegon and Quentyn burning, you can bet they're going to forever oppose her.

- Hizdahr marries her. He is undoubtedly going to die when Dany returns. After the wedding she is forced to flee Meereen for her life, her reign crumbling.

Case in point, all her marriages leave not only bodies, and all her suitors rejections, but they leave her antagonistic to the people, not optimistic as you said.

I think the same is going to happen one more time, with Aegon. The talk of marriage may be on the table, but with Aegon married to Arrianne it isn't going to happen, so Dany will kill him and his forces, and she will forever become a usurper and a kinslayer in the eyes of Westeros.

15 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

In Jon's case there are actually quite a lot of options. Keep in mind, I'm talking politically here, as a few are pretty gross.

- Sansa is a valid option weirdly enough, should he become King of the North and Lord of Winterfell, and R+L=J be common knowledge. His claim as Lyanna's son would be tenuous, and what better way to strengthen it then by marrying Ned's eldest daughter?

- Either of the Manderly girls would make sense for the similar reason of strengthening the North. Alys Karstark would have been even better, but she's no longer an option.

- Should he want to ally the Vale, one of Yohn Royce's girls makes sense (are there more then one, I can't remember but I know for a fact one was betrothed to the bloke Mya Stone had the hots for)

- Further South there are 2 major options, Arrianne and Margery. Now one of them will certainly marry Aegon, Arianne most likely, but should R+L=J be revealed, then the other is a perfectly valid choice.

- Shireen is another weird but plausible option, as it would draw Stannis's forces to him and solidify his claim as King.

- And finally Dany, obviously. Nothing quite like marrying an Unsullied army with 3 dragons attached that grants one of the best claims for the Throne.

In Dany's case however, there are far fewer options. The problem in being a female monarch in the Middle Ages is that it's really hard to keep your spouse in line. On the other hand she can't marry some powerless nobody. On the other she can't marry anyone who is high enough to pose a challenge. In historical terms the best examples of women with this problem were Mary and Elizabeth. Mary opted to marry Phillip who as King of Spain couldn't really exert any power in England, while Elizabeth opted not to marry. Any other choice and Dany's fucked. Marry too low and it's a really bad marriage, marry too high and she's basically giving up the Throne at that point. She is lucky in that she thinks (and probably is) she is barren so she doesn't need to marry for children. As such her options are 3:

- pull an Elizabeth and not marry, seeing as she thinks she's barren this is what I think she will do

- Marry Jon and rule alongside him using his dubious heritage to keep power (this is the best choice due to the fact that being the supposed son of Rhaegar and Lyanna he is a good match, but with all the doubt around him he'll never manage to overpower her, the best of 2 words for her)

- Marry Aegon and give him the power. This is certainly never going to happen, especially as Aegon will be married by that point.

I don’t “ship” Jon/Sansa but I could see the political sense of it.  If Daenerys really can’t bear children, Jon would be her heir.  The Targaryen line would thus continue through him, and the North would be reconciled by having a future king who was 3/4 Stark.

IMHO the best match for Dany would be someone like Yohn Royce.  He’s sufficiently powerful to be valuable to her, but not powerful enough to overshadow her.  And he has an adult heir, already.

15 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

It wasn't Edmure's fault that his orders were for him to hold Riverrun and nothing else. Robb was to blame for not communicating with him and somehow thinking he could telepathically guess his plans. Given the information available Edmure made the best possible decision.

Blackfish disagrees. Catelyn too. Seems telepathical skills are expected in this job or maybe Edmure is just not bright enough to be decent commander.

16 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Daenerys would probably be happiest with Edmure Tully, honestly.

floppy fish for the sex demoness? hmmmmm

24 minutes ago, broken one said:

Blackfish disagrees. Catelyn too. Seems telepathical skills are expected in this job or maybe Edmure is just not bright enough to be decent commander.

floppy fish for the sex demoness? hmmmmm

They were being unfair to Edmure.  Napoleon expected his generals to March to the sound of gunfire, without awaiting orders. If they wanted him not to attack Tywin, they should have made that clear.

Archived