Best Marriage Matches for Dany and Jon

The Commentator

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

Napoleon expected his generals to March to the sound of gunfire

Actually he ordered them to follow the Prussians, not just the Prussian rearguard. Gruchy fucked up big, when he let 2 thirds of the Prussian army slip and go and turn the tide of battle at Waterloo

3 hours ago, broken one said:

Blackfish disagrees. Catelyn too.

Catelyn is the last person to give advice to anybody, she ahs no military experience what so ever, and her political experience is so bad it would be better for her is she didn't have any.

As for the Blackfish, he was pissed off that his plan was screwed up by them not giving precise orders to Edmure,, he just took his anger out on him, not to mention they pulled a lot of emotional blackmail to convince him to marry Roslin.

59 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I don’t “ship” Jon/Sansa but I could see the political sense of it.  If Daenerys really can’t bear children, Jon would be her heir.  The Targaryen line would thus continue through him, and the North would be reconciled by having a future king who was 3/4 Stark.

I don't see it as a good math if he was to become King of Westeros, as that would narrow his power base to just the North. It is a good match however if he is King in the North.

As King of Westeros, someone like Arianne or Margery would be better, as both bring the support of a pretty strong Kingdom.

4 hours ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

All of Daenerys Targaryen's husbands will die.  The term "best match" will only mean who is best politically because that man is not going to last long.  Each treason will cause the death of husband, execution of the traitor, and a miracle.  Every husband will die.  She wins the people of each husband.  From Drogo, she took a portion of his khalasar as well as the title of khaleesi.  Hizdahr is not considered a husband by the prophecies because she will not inherit the people of Ghis.  They will always be enemies.  Second will give her Westeros, which is already hers anyway.  I expect this person will either be Aegon or Tristane. 

Jon will break his vows again and again.  He will end up in a relationship with Arya.  She is the love of his life. 

Hizdahr is a good match.  He could die through some betrayal but still he was a good match.

19 hours ago, Kierria said:

I like Edmure but he disobeyed Robb Stark's orders to stay put.  He is a liability during war.

Edmure would be attracted to Dany but he is already married to Roslyn Frey.  The Tullys have lost the riverlands but could still be useful if something were to happen to Roslyn. 

Jon should not really be considering marriage at all but he broke his vows over Arya so his nose is pointing in her direction.  That pairing has been in the works since the beginning.  It will be Gendry in that long triangle with Jon and Arya as opposed to Tyrion.

6 hours ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

All of Daenerys Targaryen's husbands will die.  The term "best match" will only mean who is best politically because that man is not going to last long.  Each treason will cause the death of husband, execution of the traitor, and a miracle.  Every husband will die.  She wins the people of each husband.  From Drogo, she took a portion of his khalasar as well as the title of khaleesi.  Hizdahr is not considered a husband by the prophecies because she will not inherit the people of Ghis.  They will always be enemies.  Second will give her Westeros, which is already hers anyway.  I expect this person will either be Aegon or Tristane. 

Jon will break his vows again and again.  He will end up in a relationship with Arya.  She is the love of his life. 

Indeed they may die but not before they bind their people to her cause.  

22 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Jon and Val are meant to be.

Daenerys would probably be happiest with Edmure Tully, honestly. Edmure actually cares about his bannermen and smallfolk to the point that he’ll defend every village even when it’s a military mistake, surrender his home to the Lannisters to save lives, and shelter hundreds inside Riverrun while he battles it out with Tywin. Daenerys could easily respect that, and given what Roslin’s family did to Edmure’s on their wedding, it shouldn’t be too hard for Eddy to put her aside.

Jon is not picking Val over Arya.  Although the wildling girl is not a bad fit. After all, if Jon were to come back as a human, he will replace Mance as the leader of the wildlings.  Then he will die and Mance’s son will follow.

On 11/29/2020 at 12:04 PM, Kierria said:

I like Edmure but he disobeyed Robb Stark's orders to stay put.  He is a liability during war.

Robb Stark could have been more explicit.  The communication chain could have been better.  All that is beyond our scope, per the Op title.  Ed makes the list of eligible husbands.  I wouldn't put him ahead of Wilas Tyrell.  House Tully have little to offer since the Riverlands already have a lot of Targaryen Loyalist.  

3 hours ago, Willam Stark said:

Willas Tyrell for Dany of course.

As for Jon, if he becomes King in the North or Lord of Winterfell it would be Wynafryd Manderly. But if his true parentage becomes widely known and accepted, Dany would be his best option. 

He is sworn to the NW.  A marriage for him will mean another insult to his oaths.  I don't put that above him but any high born family will not look kindly on a man who turned his back on his duties.  Jon ends up with a woman who won't care about oaths and vows.  So that means Arya, Val, or another Wildling. Too bad, it could have been Harma :P

48 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

He is sworn to the NW.  A marriage for him will mean another insult to his oaths.  I don't put that above him but any high born family will not look kindly on a man who turned his back on his duties.

Robb chose him as his heir and Stannis wants him to become Lord of Winterfell, both of them can release Jon from his vows, in a way or another.

52 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

So that means Arya

Please stop, besides Sansa is a better match since she's older, and more beautiful.

52 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Val

The most likely option in the future books, but not the best match for him.

3 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

I share everyone’s regard for Wilas.  George may have partiality towards the crippled and WT fits the bill.  Bran, Daenerys, Wilas, Jaime, Arya, were not born with handicaps.  The author crippled them.  Emotionally in the case of Arya. 

Thing, is we don't know anything about Willas. We know he's crippled, we know Oberyn lies him and we have some veeery unreliable accounts from his family. We don't have any idea about who he is really.

30 minutes ago, PrettyLittlePsycho said:

They did.

They did not

The Blackfish said: "You were ordered to hold Riverrun, Edmure, no more"

"I held Riverrun, and I bloodied Tywin Lannister's nose..."

"So you did" said Robb. "But a bloody nose won't win us the war, will it? Did you ever think to ask yourself why we remained in the West so long after Oxcross?"

Edmure's orders were plain and simple, hold Riverrun, nothing about what to do should Tywin come knocking. Furthermore from the dialogue, it's clear Robb expected Edmure to somehow guess his plan from how much he stayed in the Westerlands, and to guess that they had found a suitable spot were their outnumbered army could face off against Tywin. Robb thought that Edmure knew everything he himself knew, when he didn't. Edmure acted to the best of his then knowledge.

7 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

They did not

Edmure's orders were plain and simple, hold Riverrun, nothing about what to do should Tywin come knocking. Furthermore from the dialogue, it's clear Robb expected Edmure to somehow guess his plan from how much he stayed in the Westerlands, and to guess that they had found a suitable spot were their outnumbered army could face off against Tywin. Robb thought that Edmure knew everything he himself knew, when he didn't. Edmure acted to the best of his then knowledge.

Well, I´d take your quote as proof for my side, but I think that´s a point where you can have different opinions which both are valid.

Just want to say, Edmure isn´t the type of leader I´d vote for.

On 11/29/2020 at 10:00 AM, Widowmaker 811 said:

Jon is a man of the Nights Watch.  Marriage is not in the cards for this fellow.  At least not what Westeros traditionally considers a marriage.  He could leave the order but he will not be able to live within the kingdom.  He can go beyond the wall and do what he wants with anybody. Man or woman.  Or bears if he wants to.  Val, Arya, anybody he wants.  Put Shireen on the list.  Girls grow up and become women.

Daenerys is not limited by oaths but there is a very strong social expectations to marry “acceptable” males.  Daario is out.  So are Victorian, Euron, Theon, and Tyrion. Even Jorah is out.  Unification is the desired objective and the choice of choices is to marry a Blackfyre.  Aegon.  Barring that, Willas Tyrell might be a good choice.  A disruptor like the Greyjoy’s is counter to unification.  Ex-slaver Jorah is ruled out.  

Unification is good on its own merit.  The arrival of winter and famine make it necessary if anything north of the neck is to survive.  Mass migration south and east is a given.  Unification and cooperation between east and west, south and north are needed.  Daenery should keep Hizdahr and marry a Westerosi too.  Aegon can marry only once because he has to operate under the noses of The Seven.  His best bet is really to marry Arianne because he can't beat the Lannisters on his own.  I do like that folks are shipping Daenerys and Willas.  That is a sensible choice.  Daenerys + Hizdahr + Willas is a good blood bond to unite East and West.  Jon should be married to the wall but I don't believe he will be welcomed back.  Marriage is not needed for a man and woman to live together.  Arya is his love. 

Daenerys's Westeroshi match should be made to bring unity between Baratheon/Lannister supporters and her supporters. So Jon (if legitimized), Willas Tyrell or a Lannister are a good choice. Even fAegon to unite the Targaryen claims.

For Jon if he is to become King of the Seven Kingdoms then Sansa Stark or Shireen Baratheon are good choices. For King in the North/Lord of Winterfell Winafryd Manterly is the best choice.

This has to be hypothetical because Westeros will not be in any shape to worry about marriage alliances during the long night.  The marriage will only last until the darkness comes to King's Landing.  I believe the future is to look towards Essos.  I like Willas Tyrell for Dany.  He brings the food basket of Westeros to the Targaryen team.  Jon will have a death sentence hanging over his head.  No way he returns to the wall.  He will have to fight without the watch.  He should marry Mance Rayder's widow, Dalla.  Mance won't be alive for too long.  Barring that, hell go marry his beloved Arya. 

For Jon I'm going to assume that he has been released from his vows; either because the NW has ceased to exist, or, more likely, because the Powers That Be have decided he is more useful outside the NW than in it.  In that case, he would likely be either King in the North or King of Westeros.

If KitN, the most likely possibilities are Val, if he needs to keep the wildlings on board or in line, or Wylla Manderly, if he needs an alliance with the Northern Lords.  I like Wylla better, but either works.  I don't see Sansa as a match.  If Jon wants Winterfell as KitN, I expect Sansa will let him have it.  She not thetype to be interested in power for its own sake.  Arya is simply not a real option.

If he is King of Westeros, he needs someone of rank.  Myrcella makes sense if she is available, especially as he could subsume her claim that way.  Co-rulers is a possibility, but she is awfully young for that.  Margaery Tyrell is possibly the best choice, followed by Arianne Martell.

For Dany she could potentially arrive already married, but that is unlikely.  In Westeros, she would need to marry someone of high enough rank to make it worthwhile, but not someone who is a likely rival.  In other words, from a Great House, but not with a claim on the throne, or being a Lord or heir to a Kingdom, which would give him a power base on his own.   (Unless he relinquished it, which would require an available successor)

Possibilities include Willas Tyrell (heir but plenty of others available) or possibly Loras, if the KG is dissolved, a distinct possibility.  Martyn or Tyrek Lannister are also possibilities, if she wants to make peace with them.  Trystane Martell would be a possibility, but he is likely to be heir, with nobody in the wings to succeed him.  Jon I think is out because he would probably have a claim of his own, making for political difficulties. 

15 hours ago, Willam Stark said:

Willas Tyrell for Dany of course.

As for Jon, if he becomes King in the North or Lord of Winterfell it would be Wynafryd Manderly. But if his true parentage becomes widely known and accepted, Dany would be his best option. 

Willas Tyrell is to be Lord of the Reach, and that should rule him out as Dany’s husband.  He’s too important in his own right.  People would assume he was the real ruler.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Willas Tyrell is to be Lord of the Reach, and that should rule him out as Dany’s husband.  He’s too important in his own right.  People would assume he was the real ruler.

I disagree.  The Dragon stands at the top of the pyramid of social hierarchy.  Daenerys is the Mother of Dragons, most beautiful woman in the world, heir to Westeros, and already a ruler.  He won’t be riding a dragon, thus his status will be lower.  

Archived