Who will be the 3rd dragonrider?

Alyn Oakenfist

So Dany is one, and Jon will almost definitely ride one too. But who else? At the moment the main candidates are Aegon, Euron, Victarion and the Others. Maybe more if you go into crackpot. So who do you think it will be? My guess is Aegon and Dany will re enact the Dance of Dragons, with Aegon riding Rhaegal and Dany riding Drogon. But what do you think?

Daenerys Targaryen on Drogon, Aegon Blackfyre on Rhaegal, and Gerold Dayne on Viserion.  It's basically a gender reversed version of Rhaenys, Aegon, and Visenya.  Gerold is a bastard of Aerys Targaryen.  A Blackfyre is a lower branch of House Targaryen.  On the other hand, because Rhaegal is Rhaegar and Viserion is Viserys, there is no need to have two additional riders.  The children of Rhaella and Aerys will be together in this way.  The brothers will support their sister and do what they failed to while they were human. 

I don't think that the "Dance" will take place between Aegon and Dany. He had a chance at a dragon, but decided to forgo that and head to Westeros instead. Euron is after the dragons. And Dany wonders if Daario can be one of the heads of the dragon. She again thinks about Daario when she wonders who will ride her dragons when they are big enough to hold someone.

I think Daario will ride a dragon and things won't end well if that happens. 

ETA: It's also possible that a dragon will have more than one rider.

Dany on Drogon, Rhaego on Rhaegal, Jon on Viserion.

During Drogo's funeral Rhaegal's egg was placed second on his funeral pyre. It also hatched second. So Rhaego, who is alive, will become the second dragonrider. While the third will be Jon. They will become dragonriders in a reversed order of their dragons' hatching. Viserion hatched first, then Rhaegal, then Drogon.

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

During Drogo's funeral Rhaegal's egg was placed second on his funeral pyre. It also hatched second. So Rhaego, who is alive, will become the second dragonrider. While the third will be Jon. They will become dragonriders in a reversed order of their dragons' hatching. Viserion hatched first, then Rhaegal, then Drogon.

Yes, and how many great thing Rhaego will do for all his maybe three years.

Jokes aside, I never got this, how do people who think Rhaego survived account for the fact that he'd be a baby?

Please, we know the answer already. 

People may not want to hear it, but my friend @FictionIsntReal already knows the answer.

I have explained it numerous times. I will explain it again, but I suspect people will want to debate the truth. I have already provided all the needed evidence, so for once just trust me people. 

TDLR: I will not expand upon this answer again, and I will not respond to questions. Besides not wanting to derail the thread, I have provided all the textual evidence in the other thread about the three heads of the dragon. 

So please don't complain. If you don't want to be spoiled, then I suggest skipping this answer. If you want to be surprised, wait for TWOW is released. 

Dany is the mother of the three dragons, meaning she is not one of the heads of the dragon. GRRM has already said not all three need be Targaryens. However, Jon will not ride a dragon. He is Rhaegar's son, and he is Azor Ahai. When Melisandre is looking for Stannis, all she sees is snow. Jon will wield lightbringer (read: Paradise Lost) and the real Aegon will wield the red hand (read: Paradise Lost). 

Dany will mount someone to dread. This is an allusion to Euron and Drogon. The black dragon has all ready been described to us in ACOK (read the burning of the Gods Eye). 

Arya is the first rider. She is the devourer of worms. She is the devouring head. GRRM reveals us the answer by way of the three heads of the trios. On is the reborn head (Jon), the middle is the mystery head (Aegon, or otherwise known as the Sphinx), and the third head is the devouring head. 

Arya eats worms in the book series, and the Kindly man calls her the eater of worms. In Arthurian legend, worms are dragons, red and white to be exact. 

She will ride Viserion. Again this is told to us in ACOK. Before the fire at the Gods Eye, Arya tames the great white Lizard, just as Quentyn attempted to do. 

"The bald one opened his mouth and hissed like some immense white lizard. When Arya flinched back, startled, he opened his mouth wide and waggled his tongue at her, only it was more a stump than a tongue. “Stop that,” she blurted." 

But I have said enough about that. 

In the Gods Eye, we are given the wall of black smoke (Drogon) that will destroy kingslanding. This is Dany. In the house of the undying, she is told that she will set a fire to love. That is what we see.  I will not explain more because I already have elsewhere. 

Euron/Victarion will have Rhaegal. Jon, despite being a head of the dragon, will not ride such a beast. [Note: If Rhaego is alive, he will ride Rhaegal].

The third head has his own dragon, the one being hatched at the Citadel. He is the Sphinx, the riddle, the mystery head of the dragon. He is Aegon VI, the pisswater prince. In the prologue to AFFC we are told urine is truth, and arbor gold is lies. In Young Griff's backstory, the pisswater prince was traded for Arbor Gold. 

He is the arbor gold, and the pisswater prince is the real Aegon.  

That is the what will happen, and it is the beginning and end of all discussion on this matter. 

58 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Jokes aside, I never got this, how do people who think Rhaego survived account for the fact that he'd be a baby?

It isn't known when will happen the final battle in the war against the Others, could be that it will happen many years after 300 AC. Dany saw in her vision a grown up Rhaego, with a burning city behind him. Readers interpreted that vision as a future that will never happen, because Rhaego is supposedly dead. So they also thought that the city was burning because Rhaego, if he would have survived, would have became a great Khal like his father, and he would have became a conqueror who would have warred with other nations, killed people and burned their cities. Instead that vision depicts not what could have happened, but what will happen. The vision is about grown up Rhaego fighting in the war against the Others as R'hllor's champion, and he burned that city because it was overrun with White Walkers/zombies. The war will be still ongoing for many years after 300 AC. But it won't be depicted in the book. Probably GRRM will write the kind of ending like in The Lord of the Rings, when it was implied that the war isn't over yet, and that characters will go on fighting for who knows how long, but eventualluy they will win back the Shire. Bittersweet ending - Jon and Dany's participation in the War for the dawn is over, but their children will continue to fight in the future. First Long Night lasted a generation, who said that the Second one will be different? (It will be different (but not too different), because now they will have completed Lightbringer, while during the First Long Night it was only half-charged, and thus unable to obliterate all the Others. But it won't be reduced to a single battle. ASOIAF is not GOT, when an Other is killed, White Walkers don't just fall over like it happened in the show. Jon and Dany's dragons will defeat the Others, but for years afterwards other people will be doing clean up, finding and killing all those zombies that will spread all over Westeros, and it will take time, years, decades.) Rhaego won't be a baby then, because children do grow up with time.

7 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

The idea that a dead three year old will ride a dragon is one of the more ridiculous ideas, on a forum full of ridiculous ideas.

It's do-able. When Bran 'rode' his raven, he shared with a dead singer. But that's not the theory offered.

Anyway, I don't believe Rhaego is alive, and I do believe the current generation will defeat winter, so for my three I'm going to go with Dany, Tyrion and Bran, on the grounds that all three are very, very lightweight, so the even the smaller dragons can carry them.

3 hours ago, Megorova said:

2/3.  

Jon is a head of the dragon, but not a dragon rider. 

The books already told us who will ride Viserion. 

Brown Ben Plumm seems like an option for Viserion.

Rhaegal would fight against Drogon ( Green vs Black) ridden by Daenerys in a new Dance, who would ride it remains to be seen.

There might be a  Dragon on Skagos , which also might be ridden by someone or turned by Others in some lost battle.

Weirwood arrows might have some effect on Dragons, maybe even Bran wargs into one and remains there if his body gets destroyed.

5 minutes ago, Eltharion21 said:

Brown Ben Plumm seems like an option for Viserion.

Rhaegal would fight against Drogon ( Green vs Black) ridden by Daenerys in a new Dance, who would ride it remains to be seen.

There might be a  Dragon on Skagos , which also might be ridden by someone or turned by Others in some lost battle.

Viserion is known. It is not Brown Ben Plumm. 

17 minutes ago, ShimShim said:

Dany of Drogon, Moonboy of Viserion, and Patchface of Rhaegal.

Are you suggesting something about Dany? :)))

Tbf, Dany is probably the least competent person in that gathering, Moonboy is a secret genius while Patchface is the Great Other's Hand of the King

I'm not convinced Jon will ride a dragon. He is Rhaegar's son, but he is more Ice than Fire. If one, it would as likely be the legendary Ice Dragons.

Euron will get one, maybe 2.

Aegon? I would not put a copper on him.

Then there're the Aerys' bastards with Joanna Lannister. I would love a Dance between Dany and Cersei.

I think that Daenerys will ride Drogon, Meera will ride Rhaegal, and Tyrion will ride Viserion.  It is largely because of color similarities between the dragons and the humans, though I think there are some additional hints.  This is not the strongest evidence, but I think it’s something.

I think the back story of the “Greens” versus the “Blacks” is a hint that the green dragon Rhaegal (and its rider) will have conflict with the black dragon Drogon (and its rider).

We know that Daenerys rides Drogon, the black dragon.  I agree with the theory that the Green Grace is the leader of the Sons of the Harpy (popular choice at this link), so that is a sign of Daenerys having conflict with characters associated with green.  Daenerys also has had trouble with Meereen, and with Mirri Maz Duur, which both sound sort of like Meera.

The Reed family is strongly associated with green, and their arms have a lizard-lion, which seems similar to a dragon.  Meera has green eyes, wears bronze scales, and has a bronze knife, so those colors match Rhaegal’s green and bronze very well.  Meera also has a frog-spear, and Rhaegal killed Quentyn “Frog” Martell.  I think the fact that Rhaenys rode Meraxes is a hint that Meera will ride Rhaegal.  I believe the theory that Howland is a descendant of Jenny of Oldstones and Duncan Targaryen (link), and I believe Howland is truly Meera’s father, so that makes Meera a Targaryen, and presumably a possible dragonrider.

Viserion is described as white, cream, and gold.  Those colors make me think of Tyrion.  Their names both end “rion”.  Viserion is said to have “a roar that would send a hundred lions running” (link), while Tyrion is a Lannister “lion”.  I believe the theory that Tyrion is the child of Joanna and Aerys (link), so that makes Tyrion a Targaryen, and presumably a possible dragonrider.  I think it’s interesting that Tyrion has light blond hair and one green eye and one black eye, which covers all three dragons’ colors, and might be a sign that Tyrion is going to have to choose whether to side with the green team (Meera/Rhaegal) or black team (Daenerys/Drogon).  Daenerys’ visions of a white lion (hrakkar) could be related to Tyrion, though it is unclear if they are positive (suggesting alliance) or negative (suggesting confict).

Another possible hint at these three leading the new Dance of the Dragons: There are three cities in Braavos called Myr, Tyrosh, and Lys that have a history of conflict.  I think Myr is a nod to Meera, Tyrosh is a nod to Tyrion, and Lys is a nod to Lyanna/Daenerys.

See this thread (link) for reasons of why I think Lyanna and Daenerys can be conflated and nods to one can be viewed as nods to the other.

As for Jon, I do not think Jon will ride a dragon in the normal way.  I think Jon IS a dragon, or will merge with a dragon or warg into a dragon or be reborn as a dragon or something like that.  That same thread (link) has some stuff like that.  (I think “ice and fire” is partially about somebody born to an ice mother and then magically reborn with a fire mother.)  But I’m sorry that’s getting off-topic.  The point is, I’m not sure if Jon is a Targaryen (…yet), and regardless, I don’t think Jon will be a normal dragonrider.

This could all be wrong.  Maybe the color similarities between the dragons and humans just serve thematic purposes, or maybe they don’t serve any purpose.  But my best guess for now is that Daenerys will ride Drogon, Meera will ride Rhaegal, and Tyrion will ride Viserion.  I have no idea how it will come about.

(EDITED: Originally wrote that Howland was child of Jenny and Duncan, but changed it to descendant of Jenny and Duncan, to better match the theory in the link.  Also, forgot to put the stuff about Rhaenys and Meraxes in originally.  And added link for the Harpy in Meereen bit.)

Archived