Who will be the 3rd dragonrider?

Alyn Oakenfist

15 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

The books already told us who will ride Viserion. 

Yes, they did, here (Dany's last chapter in AGOT):

"She heard a crack, the sound of shattering stone. The platform of wood and brush and grass began to shift and collapse in upon itself. Bits of burning wood slid down at her, and Dany was showered with ash and cinders. And something else came crashing down, bouncing and rolling, to land at her feet; a chunk of curved rock, pale and veined with gold, broken and smoking. The roaring filled the world, yet dimly through the firefall Dany heard women shriek and children cry out in wonder.

Only death can pay for life.

And there came a second crack, loud and sharp as thunder, and the smoke stirred and whirled around her and the pyre shifted, the logs exploding as the fire touched their secret hearts. She heard the screams of frightened horses, and the voices of the Dothraki raised in shouts of fear and terror, and Ser Jorah calling her name and cursing. No, she wanted to shout to him, no, my good knight, do not fear for me. The fire is mine. I am Daenerys Stormborn, daughter of dragons, bride of dragons, mother of dragons, don’t you see? Don’t you SEE? With a belch of flame and smoke that reached thirty feet into the sky, the pyre collapsed and came down around her. Unafraid, Dany stepped forward into the firestorm, calling to her children.

The third crack was as loud and sharp as the breaking of the world."

Last dragonrider (Jon), his dragon (Viserion) hatched first, with the sound of shattering stone, because Jon is the last dragon that will be awakened from stone.

Second dragonrider (Rhaego), his dragon's (Rhaegal's) egg hatched with the sound of thunder, followed by screams of horses and voices of Dothraki, because it's a hint that the rider of this dragon will be the Stallion that mounts the world and Khal of Khals, Lords of Lords (GRRM's reference to the second coming of Jesus). When Dothraki witch was making that prophecy about Rhaego's birth, she said that she can hear the thunder of his hooves. And the egg of his dragon hatched with the sound of thunder.

The first dragonrider is Dany, but her dragon's egg hatched the last out of three, with the sound of the breaking of the world, because his future rider is the Breaker of Chains, who will break the existing world order, by eradicating slavery.

I'm with @BalerionTheCat on Aegon.  A poser if there ever was one.  And boring.   And predictable.  Given previous riders, I think boring disqualifies you from riding a dragon.   

Dany will continue to ride her dragon and Jon will man up and ride a dragon.  Although I hate it, because I like the idea of Tyrion riding a dragon, nasty Euron may likely be the 3rd.  Bogus.    

The dragons won't get passed around like the swords will.  But I bet Rhaegal and Viserion will be overjoyed to go for a spin in the sky.  

5 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I like the idea of Tyrion riding a dragon,

I second that.  It's Tyrion for me as well.  I hope Rhaegal becomes his boon companion and lets him ride.

If Victarion takes Viserion and with Dany and Drogon absent; there will be tremendous pressure to either capture or kill one of the dragons.  Either for power or to even the odds.  Dragons will not be ruled.  It will take someone like Tyrion to save that dragon.   

2 hours ago, LynnS said:

I second that.  It's Tyrion for me as well.  I hope Rhaegal becomes his boon companion and lets him ride.

If Victarion takes Viserion and with Dany and Drogon absent; there will be tremendous pressure to either capture or kill one of the dragons.  Either for power or to even the odds.  Dragons will not be ruled.  It will take someone like Tyrion to save that dragon.   

I third that 

7 minutes ago, CamiloRP said:

@Curled Finger @LynnS 

I hope Tyrion gets better as a person if he's ever to ride a dragon, or else KL will burn.

Add me too to the list. And GRRM loves Tyrion too much to do an abomination Dany on him... and KL (Tho he probably doesn't love KL that much) 

7 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

I'm with @BalerionTheCat on Aegon.  A poser if there ever was one.  And boring.   And predictable.  Given previous riders, I think boring disqualifies you from riding a dragon.   

Dany will continue to ride her dragon and Jon will man up and ride a dragon.  Although I hate it, because I like the idea of Tyrion riding a dragon, nasty Euron may likely be the 3rd.  Bogus.    

The dragons won't get passed around like the swords will.  But I bet Rhaegal and Viserion will be overjoyed to go for a spin in the sky.  

I think that Euron might ride one of the Dany's dragons, for a time. It's a possibility. Before Jon takes it from him as he will take that valyrian armor from Euron.

Another is that Euron, with the help of magic, wake up a dragon literally from the stone.

From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire.

This is Euron, most likely, and the tower is most likely the Hightower. The beast flies like a dragon and breath fire like a dragon, so it's most probably a dragon. But the "shadow fire" thing points to something odd. It might just be an "glamour", it might be a prettified dragon or an hibernating one.

Now, yes. Tyrion is most likely the third dragonrider. It makes sense as he's one of the three protagonists. He will be probably riding Viserion, taming him similarly as Nettles tamed Sheepstealer. 

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

And Tyrion is a better person than most other characters.

He's on a redemption arc, but following his own dark impish path to survive, at the moment, He is one of the most interesting characters, to me, anyway.  One of GRR's slayers of lies.  

"When the the rises in the west and sets in the east"....

A Dance with Dragons - Tyrion II

They departed Pentos by the Sunrise Gate, though Tyrion Lannister never glimpsed the sunrise. "It will be as if you had never come to Pentos, my little friend," promised Magister Illyrio, as he drew shut the litter's purple velvet drapes. "No man must see you leave the city, as no man saw you enter."

The second curious thing about 'no man' is that it is a reference to the faceless men who are 'no man'.  I think in this case 'no man' is Quaithe who is no man, but a woman who conceals her face with a mask. '

Directions are relative to Dany's location on Essos.  Pentos is to the west from where she is standing.

Both Mirri Maaz Duur and Quaithe have something to say about Tyrion.

I think most posters here are assuming the three dragons will continue all in Danys possession, but the story with WMDs is that they proliferate, so Dany's enemies should be getting dragons soon enough. Also, there's little reason to put three dragons in the story if they all remain in the same side, there could've just been one dragon trice as powerful.

If I were Dany, I would get riders for the dragons fast, and loyal ones to boot, like her Dothraki, Barristan or Greyworm.

On 12/3/2020 at 5:05 AM, CamiloRP said:

@Curled Finger @LynnS 

I hope Tyrion gets better as a person if he's ever to ride a dragon, or else KL will burn.

Based on Dinklage comments and GRRM's favoritism I think he's on a "maturity" arc. As much as I loathe that idea because I really don't like Tyrion. 

Dragonriding is inherently a shut-your-brain-off-and-burn-shit activity and I think Tyrion will forever be locked out of it by the author who wants him to rely on his brain, not on jocular weapons.

2 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

Based on Dinklage comments and GRRM's favoritism I think he's on a "maturity" arc. As much as I loathe that idea because I really don't like Tyrion. 

Dragonriding is inherently a shut-your-brain-off-and-burn-shit activity and I think Tyrion will forever be locked out of it by the author who wants him to rely on his brain, not on jocular weapons.

"Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all."

To me this foreshadowing seems Tyrion is bound to be major player in the new Dance of Dragons.

Being also a dragonrider would be an overkill, especially for a character whose wit is main weapon, wisdom not so much.

10 minutes ago, Eltharion21 said:

"Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all."

To me this foreshadowing seems Tyrion is bound to be major player in the new Dance of Dragons.

Being also a dragonrider would be an overkill, especially for a character whose wit is main weapon, wisdom not so much.

Yeah, that line also sounds like dragonriders will be active, flying around, while he's stuck on the ground, fuming in rage mode.

George has infamously struggled to pass about 2 years of time in 5 books despite initially wanting many years to pass to allow the kids to grow up. He tried to put a 5 year gap in the story but trashed it because it was too difficult to make it work and to keep the story on pause for that amount of time. Any theory that relies on him passing 15+ years in the last two books to allow Rhaego to grow up is not a very good theory. That's not even getting into the question of how Rhaego survived.

Archived