Who will be the 3rd dragonrider?

Alyn Oakenfist

On 11/29/2020 at 12:38 PM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

So Dany is one, and Jon will almost definitely ride one too. But who else? At the moment the main candidates are Aegon, Euron, Victarion and the Others. Maybe more if you go into crackpot. So who do you think it will be? My guess is Aegon and Dany will re enact the Dance of Dragons, with Aegon riding Rhaegal and Dany riding Drogon. But what do you think?

It is known. 

Tyrion or Brown Ben will ride Viserion

After Daenerys dies, Jon will ride Drogon. 

Black always was his color. 

Jorah

Because there’s already a lot of drama and conflict established between him and Dany. He’s been part of Danys story since her first chapter and been a significant part in it. With effort made to introduce his wider family as characters in major POV arcs. In Storm he says that’s going to be his role and Dany thinks to herself that it’s going to come down to being the dragonriders against the world like Aegon. It would massively inconvenience Dany if it’s a man she can’t love, exiled from her court and has split loyalties with her enemies as a Northman. Plus it would be hilarious if he ends riding an actual Dragon but still can’t get with Dany. Plus if he is intended to go full Cristan Cole and betray Dany that could be it. “Surely we’re meant to be together. I have a Dragon now”. Bit lame and copying Megamind but it could be something George would want to do with the characters. I’d rather it went down the road of Dany pushing Jorah into the arms of another woman (his wife ironically enough) which would bring a Hightower in and be a cooler way to reference the Dance. It would put the emphasis of the conflict on this personal drama rather than supernatural plot device to steal Danys dragons by X faction.

To me that’s more interesting than Euron blowing a magic horn to tame a dragon and seducing Dany. Victarion blowing a horn and being Sea Drogo. Jon being the edgy raven haired moodball. These are all men Dany could easily marry and bring under her wing. There’s a danger they might try to kill her obviously; but that’s a very different conflict and one Jon already represents.

Plus with Jeor having mentored Jon and gifting Longclaw there is from the first book a connection between all three characters. So then being the three dragon riders makes some sense.

Also the colours of the dragons match their house sigils.

55 minutes ago, PrettyLittlePsycho said:

First time I heard that idea, and I don´t think it likely.

It´s been established that only those of Targaryen blood can ride a dragon. There´s only 2 plausible ways I can think of to bypass it:

1) skinchanging

2) magical gimmick like the horn

Or Netteling, which is what I think Dany intended Quentyn to do, and maybe what Victarion will do.

1 hour ago, PrettyLittlePsycho said:

First time I heard that idea, and I don´t think it likely.

It´s been established that only those of Targaryen blood can ride a dragon. There´s only 2 plausible ways I can think of to bypass it:

1) skinchanging

2) magical gimmick like the horn

I am not sure its been established. We know so very little about the supernatural element in this series and so many of the POV are ignorant of how magic works that we can’t take any of them at their word. I’d go as far as to say we know basically nothing about magic beyond blood equals power and George isn’t even consistent in that. Plus George is very much into subverting the whole Chosen blood thing. It would not surprise me if the whole incest thing doesn’t serve any legitimate function. Anyone could ride a dragon and all the civil war and madness was a tragedy. I think that’s an entirely George thing to do. Oh this ugly brute takes a Dragon when it’s meant to be these perfect purebloods that are worthy. “The Dragon does not mate with the beasts of the forest” to quote Viserys.

The Mormont family could be wargs. They’re an old Northern House, seem to have various strange ways, one of the She Bears flippantly suggests they skin change with bears and Jeor kept a raven which acted a bit strange around him. Might be misremembering but did Jeor not mention dreaming as if he was looking from the ravens eyes. Might be misremembering on that one. Plus, think Mormonts and Starks only Northern Houses to have animals as sigil implying warg ability. Bears being a common creature that appears to be wargable. So Jorah might be a warg of some description.

Nettles was able to tame a dragon and did not have Targaryen blood. It’s possible that his closeness to Dany, being present with the dragons from moment of their birth, makes taming them. As an aside, in Storm, Jorah says the word Dracarys and the dragons singed his beard. I am not sure another character apart from Dany has done that. 

He was in the tent with Dany when Miri was doing the crazy shadow magic. Plus he was the one who tied Miri to the pyre where the dragons. We have no idea what sort of magic is involved in the awakening of the dragons and how his proximity to this event might have a supernatural quality to it. He has sworn to be “blood of my blood” and all that. 

Plus it might be a plot point that he’s nowhere near as capable at controlling his dragon as Dany. Going back a little, but Ash when he gets Charizard in the early seasons and the dragon just puts up with him. Not in a kill him way but that sort of gruff animosity rather than hatred would kind of fit better with Jorahs character. I mean if the dragons are meant to mirror the nature of their riders then a stubborn and grunting dragon mount would make sense. That sort of thing. 

But the main reason is purely because the characters and the drama. I just think it would be an interesting turn beyond God King Bran stealing one of Danys dragon coz he can.

4 minutes ago, Tyrion1991 said:

I am not sure its been established. We know so very little about the supernatural element in this series and so many of the POV are ignorant of how magic works that we can’t take any of them at their word. I’d go as far as to say we know basically nothing about magic beyond blood equals power and George isn’t even consistent in that. Plus George is very much into subverting the whole Chosen blood thing. It would not surprise me if the whole incest thing doesn’t serve any legitimate function. Anyone could ride a dragon and all the civil war and madness was a tragedy. I think that’s an entirely George thing to do. Oh this ugly brute takes a Dragon when it’s meant to be these perfect purebloods that are worthy. 

The Mormont family could be wargs. They’re an old Northern House, seem to have various strange ways, one of the She Bears flippantly suggests they skin change with bears and Jeor kept a raven which acted a bit strange around him. Might be misremembering but did Jeor not mention dreaming as if he was looking from the ravens eyes. Might be misremembering on that one. Plus, think Mormonts and Starks only Northern Houses to have animals as sigil implying warg ability. Bears being a common creature that appears to be wargable. So Jorah might be a warg of some description.

Nettles was able to tame a dragon and did not have Targaryen blood. It’s possible that his closeness to Dany, being present with the dragons from moment of their birth, makes taming them. As an aside, in Storm, Jorah says the word Dracarys and the dragons singed his beard. I am not sure another character apart from Dany has done that. 

He was in the tent with Dany when Miri was doing the crazy shadow magic. Plus he was the one who tied Miri to the pyre where the dragons. We have no idea what sort of magic is involved in the awakening of the dragons and how his proximity to this event might have a supernatural quality to it. He has sworn to be “blood of my blood” and all that. 

Plus it might be a plot point that he’s nowhere near as capable at controlling his dragon as Dany. Going back a little, but Ash when he gets Charizard in the early seasons and the dragon just puts up with him. Not in a kill him way but that sort of gruff animosity rather than hatred would kind of fit better with Jorahs character. I mean if the dragons are meant to mirror the nature of their riders then a stubborn and grunting dragon mount would make sense. That sort of thing. 

But the main reason is purely because the characters and the drama. I just think it would be an interesting turn beyond God King Bran stealing one of Danys dragon coz he can.

You´re using the word "might" quite a lot here,

I´d be open to the idea of skinchanger Jorah taming a dragon, but he hasn´t shown this ability at all yet.

13 minutes ago, PrettyLittlePsycho said:

You´re using the word "might" quite a lot here,

I´d be open to the idea of skinchanger Jorah taming a dragon, but he hasn´t shown this ability at all yet.

Oh it’s left field don’t get me wrong. If he tamed a dragon in the Battle of Fire it would be a WTF moment. I think that would be the intent if George did this. Could be wrong. George could be dashing for the end and want to simplify things so he kills a dragon at Mereen. You know, boring.

Plus forgot that he’s at the Battle where the magic horn is being used and we don’t fully know how that works. 

I am just not as fussed on the how here. George doesn’t have a hard magic system with rules that break canon if he does something unexpected. He can do almost anything and nothing when it comes to magic. I read a lot of Euron, Vic, Bran, Aegon and I  find myself scratching my head because we’re in the penultimate book. Is Dany really going to have two complete strangers riding her dragons in the last novel? A dragon thief suddenly becomes her nemesis? I am not saying George can’t do a weird Euron seducing Dany as a fellow dragon rider and falling under his spell for a time. But I just don’t think he has time or space. Plus it relies just as heavily on mcguffins. For example I’ve never heard anyone make a case for what Bran warging Danys dragons adds to Danys story beyond an excuse to make Bran look powerful. 

1 hour ago, Tyrion1991 said:

Plus, think Mormonts and Starks only Northern Houses to have animals as sigil implying warg skinchange ability.

FTFY

The reeds have lionlizards, Marshes have frogs, Hornwoods have elks, Ryswells have horses, Magnars have lobsters, Condons have an eagle's head, Cassels have a bunch of wolves, and Umbers have a giant, which are probably skinchangeable.

1 hour ago, Tyrion1991 said:

I am just not as fussed on the how here. George doesn’t have a hard magic system with rules that break canon if he does something unexpected. He can do almost anything and nothing when it comes to magic. I read a lot of Euron, Vic, Bran, Aegon and I  find myself scratching my head because we’re in the penultimate book. Is Dany really going to have two complete strangers riding her dragons in the last novel? A dragon thief suddenly becomes her nemesis? I am not saying George can’t do a weird Euron seducing Dany as a fellow dragon rider and falling under his spell for a time. But I just don’t think he has time or space. Plus it relies just as heavily on mcguffins. For example I’ve never heard anyone make a case for what Bran warging Danys dragons adds to Danys story beyond an excuse to make Bran look powerful. 

The solution to this is that the people riding Rhaegal and Viseryon won't be on Dany's team, WMDs are about proliferation, and if Dany's gonna have the three dragons anyway, why not just make it one thrice as powerful dragon from the begining?

4 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

The reeds have lionlizards, Marshes have frogs, Hornwoods have elks, Ryswells have horses, Magnars have lobsters, Condons have an eagle's head, Cassels have a bunch of wolves, and Umbers have a giant, which are probably skinchangeable.

He kinda forgot about other Northern houses having animal sigils.

4 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

FTFY

The solution to this is that the people riding Rhaegal and Viseryon won't be on Dany's team, WMDs are about proliferation, and if Dany's gonna have the three dragons anyway, why not just make it one thrice as powerful dragon from the begining?

Jorahs not on Danys team. Wants to be, but you’re assuming Danys going to forgive him and that he’s going to stay committed to the cause.

Daenerys rides Drogon

Tyrion will ride Viserys. He will do it with the Nettles way. I dont believe he is Aerys's son. The only dragon blood he can have is if a Lannister married one of Viserys Plumm's descendants or if the Baratheon-Lannister descendants married back in the main Lannister line.

Rhaegal will be riden by Victarion with the horn and then Jon Snow when Victarion dies.

Archived