Why didn't Robert call a great Council ?

Mario Seddy

No need for it. The Great Councils are to determine the successor so as to avoid bloodshed. The war was already fought, Robert was already sitting on the throne. It would've also provided an opportunity for Targaryen loyalists to kick him out or kill him.

• 5 weeks later...

In my opinion what Robert should have done is rather then marrying Cersei he should have betrothed himself to Daenerys and sent Viserys to the wall. Based on Viserys and Dany's trajectory of bumming around to whatever court would host them it shouldn't have been to hard to lure them into a trap. This unites both the rebels and the loyalists as the heir for the new Baratheon regime and the old Targaryen regime will be the same. Then marry Stannis and Renly into house Martell and House Tyrel and you've got the loyalist houses much more tied into the new goverment. Building a web like this strengthens the realm much more than letting house Lannister slowly dominate the government and also kneecaps an attempt at Targaryen restoration, as Dany will be queen. 

6 hours ago, Darzin said:

In my opinion what Robert should have done is rather then marrying Cersei he should have betrothed himself to Daenerys and sent Viserys to the wall. Based on Viserys and Dany's trajectory of bumming around to whatever court would host them it shouldn't have been to hard to lure them into a trap. This unites both the rebels and the loyalists as the heir for the new Baratheon regime and the old Targaryen regime will be the same. Then marry Stannis and Renly into house Martell and House Tyrel and you've got the loyalist houses much more tied into the new goverment. Building a web like this strengthens the realm much more than letting house Lannister slowly dominate the government and also kneecaps an attempt at Targaryen restoration, as Dany will be queen. 

But then he'd have to wait sixteen years for her to mature enough to bear an heir. 

On 4/25/2021 at 11:56 PM, Jaenara Belarys said:

But then he'd have to wait sixteen years for her to mature enough to bear an heir. 

Sure but he'd have both Stannis and Renly to serve as male heirs and plenty of time to rack up the bastards as well :P

9 minutes ago, Darzin said:

Sure but he'd have both Stannis and Renly to serve as male heirs and plenty of time to rack up the bastards as well :P

That's true......the bastards won't inherit, though I suppose he could make them legitimate if absolutely needed. Unfortunately, Robert was a bit too thick to figure that out.

2 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

That's true......the bastards won't inherit, though I suppose he could make them legitimate if absolutely needed. Unfortunately, Robert was a bit too thick to figure that out.

Yeah it's not something he'd ever agree with his blind Targ hate or really think of since future realm problems were not really on Robert's radar.  

On 11/30/2020 at 7:47 PM, ShimShim said:

Why would he. He took the Throne by right of conquest just like Aegon did.

This. He has more than enough political, military, and economic support. Quite literally achieved political mandates in the field.

• 2 months later...
On 3/24/2021 at 9:10 AM, Lord Varys said:

Robert and his buddies failed to follow the example of Corlys Velaryon after the death of Aegon II and include the old enemies in the new regime. A Great Council not addressing the question who should be king but restoring peace and establishing the new government - sort of like the lords did during the Regency of Aegon III after the Secret Siege - could have done much and more to ensure that the remaining Targaryen loyalists would not plot against Robert later on.

It could also have punished the murderers of Aerys II and Rhaegar's family as wel as prevent the Greyjoy Rebellion further down the road because the Ironborn could have been included in the new government in some fashion - say, a son or brother of Balon's becomes Master of Ships or something like that.

I think that is going to be how the series ends.

A Great Council coming together not only to address the question of who should be king and how to deal with the Long Night moving forward but also coming together to establish a new system of government and a binding code of laws.

I think the concept of a Great Council that convenes and serves at the king's leisurely convenience to only decide matters of succession is a big mistake. It caused the Dance.

On 4/25/2021 at 4:20 AM, Darzin said:

The better idea is for Robert to:

• denounce the actions of Tywin Lannister and his men during the Sack (perhaps, going a step beyond that to investigate the matter of Jaime Lannister backstabbing the Mad King) and see that they be punished for it
  • take up the office of Hand of the King and Lord Regent
  • pay reparations to House Martell...either by allowing the Martells and the Dornishmen more autonomy and privileges or by exempting them from paying taxes or whatever.
  • give Queen Rhaella a permanent place on the Small Council (if she didn't survive childbirth, give this position to the caretaker of the Targaryen children)
  • marry the daughter of a Great Lord (Cersei is ineligible because of Tywin)
  • marry Stannis to one of Mace Tyrell's sisters
  • marry Renly to either Asha Greyjoy, a Frey, a Hightower, a Tarly or the daughter of a powerful lord from the Reach or the Stormlands who had held pro-Targaryen sentiments
  • make Stannis the warden of Dragonstone but allow him to keep the lordship of Storm's End and the Stormlands
  • betroth the firstborn of their female offspring to King Viserys
  • betroth the firstborn of the male offspring to Princess Daenerys

That way, they could have lasting peace. Sending Viserys to the Wall is an egregiously bad idea. Not only is it kicking the can down the road, it's an inappropriate solution for lasting peace.

You can do that for the bastard that Prince Rhaegar fathered on Lyanna Stark. You can't do that for the last surviving son and sole male heir of a legitimate king who ruled for 20+ years--especially not at Viserys' age.

On 6/29/2021 at 12:24 AM, BlackLightning said:

Sending Viserys to the Wall is an egregiously bad idea. Not only is it kicking the can down the road, it's an inappropriate solution for lasting peace.

I think all of those are good ideas except this.. I'd be worried this would be setting up a civil war Viserys at the wall means he has no claim and noble houses do often join up. Benjen Stark and Lord Commander Mormont for example, it's not going to be seen as cruel or unreasonable to send him there. 

On 6/28/2021 at 7:24 PM, BlackLightning said:

Sending Viserys to the Wall is an egregiously bad idea. Not only is it kicking the can down the road, it's an inappropriate solution for lasting peace.

You can do that for the bastard that Prince Rhaegar fathered on Lyanna Stark. You can't do that for the last surviving son and sole male heir of a legitimate king who ruled for 20+ years--especially not at Viserys' age.

The choices for Viserys not to be a threat are:

1. Execution

2. Join the Faith

3. Join the Nights Watch

4. Join the Citadel

I believe 2,3,4 are the best. 

On 6/30/2021 at 12:15 AM, Darzin said:

I think all of those are good ideas except this.. I'd be worried this would be setting up a civil war Viserys at the wall means he has no claim and noble houses do often join up. Benjen Stark and Lord Commander Mormont for example, it's not going to be seen as cruel or unreasonable to send him there. 

That's funny because I feel like sending Viserys to the Wall is setting the stage for a civil war.

Because isn't that what happened to one of the Blackfyres? They were sent to the Wall only for their ship to be attacked leading to their escape to Essos and return to Westeros at the head of an army of mercenaries. I forgot which Blackfyre that was but....

I suppose sending Viserys to the Wall is okay. But it seems unnecessarily harsh for a boy who isn't even 10 years of age.

You could create a Magna Carta type document and have Viserys be the ASOIAF version of the 8-year-old King Henry III. That would serve wouldn't it?

On 6/30/2021 at 8:45 AM, Endymion I Targaryen said:

The choices for Viserys not to be a threat are:

1. Execution

2. Join the Faith

3. Join the Nights Watch

4. Join the Citadel

I believe 2,3,4 are the best. 

Given the circumstances of the Sack that contributed to the death of King Aerys and his grandchildren, I feel like concessions to the Targaryen family have to be made and reparations paid. You can't make concessions or reparations by sending the male heir of House Targaryen to the Wall.

The Faith or the Citadel feels more appropriate.

• 2 months later...

Archived