Greatest Sports Moment You Witnessed In Person?

Relic

Mine was Larry Johnson's 4 point play to win a playoff game against the hated Pacers. I was in MSG, wearing an LJ jersey, and the place went fucking BONKERS when that shot hit. It was insane. I jumped out of my row, i was sitting at the edge of an elevated wall, jumped some 5 feet down and started hugging and jumping up and down with total strangers. It was really something else. I get goosebumps remembering it. 

Second favorite moment was watching Daryl Strawberry charge into the Baltimore dugout all by himself to fight the entire team alone. Yankeee Stadium went bonkers. 

What was yours? 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Mine was Larry Johnson's 4 point play to win a playoff game against the hated Pacers. I was in MSG, wearing an LJ jersey, and the place went fucking BONKERS when that shot hit. It was insane. I jumped out of my row, i was sitting at the edge of an elevated wall, jumped some 5 feet down and started hugging and jumping up and down with total strangers. It was really something else. I get goosebumps remembering it. 

Second favorite moment was watching Daryl Strawberry charge into the Baltimore dugout all m=by himself to fight the entire team himself. Yankeee Stadium when bonkers. 

What was yours? 

I mentioned watching the game in the NBA thread oddly but February 14, 1986 Oilers vs Nordiques Gretzky has 7 assists and the last bit of the game the entire crowd is on their feet everytime he is on the ice cheering and yelling "shoot" and then Mario Gosselin just fucking robs him with a glove hand save on a snapper from the slot.  Minor in the grand scheme of things but fucking awesome.  

Number 1 with a bullet though was Barry vs Bo on Monday Night football in '90 at the Silverdome.  Crowd was nuts and my favourite player at the time (Bo) had a great game but was shown up by Barry Sanders with a better one.  Raiders ended up winning though.

I'm a newcastle fan, I've never seen anything good. 

My sister being about 20 metres ahead at the county athletics before hitting the final hurdle, falling to the ground with her face about 6 inches from the finish line while everyone ran past her was the funniest though. 

I don't actually go to games much so I'd guess the most noteworthy thing I saw in person was Willie Randolph hitting a home run as a Dodger around 1989 or so. Dude didn't hit many homers.

Or you could consider the USC-UCLA football game around 1990 where future-morality-tale Todd Marinovich outdueled "Touchdown" Tommy Maddox.

Sometime in the 90s, I watched a Chicago Fire game at Soldier Field against the Colorado Rapids.  The Fire were already up 1-0, when Ante Razov was pulled down in the box.  Clear penalty.  No whistle.  The crowd went crazy.  One of the Fire players, Jerzy Podbrozny, and coach Bob Bradley were both given red cards for dissent.  The Fire went on to score 4 goals while shorthanded and won 5-0. 

The 2014 Bathurst 1000 race. The V8 supercar series biggest race of the year. Had a big spell in the middle where they had to repair the track that was falling apart. Then at the end a car that had started at the back and been there for most of the race and had race tape holding the front together caught and passed the big favourites on the last lap because they had run out of fuel. I was at the final corner in the stands

I was at a great night in Anfield when Liverpool won 3-0 in a European semi-final on the anniversary of Hillsborough during Klopp’s first season.  The fervor is unlike anything in American sports. 

I went to a few games during the Mariners’ record-breaking 116 win season.  No single game can be claimed as the standout, but going to those games while the city went increasingly nuts for baseball that summer was a great experience.  I can still remember the line-up from that season.

I also saw the Cubs at Wrigley during their curse-breaking season, but I wasn’t at any of the play-off games.  That was a fun season, even if everyone denied it could happen so that they wouldn’t jinx it.

This is more parochial but I attended all of Meath’s Gaelic football championship games in the 1991 season, especially the four games against Dublin (three replays needed to settle the tie).  When Meath finally beat Dublin in the fourth game, half of the stadium exploded in euphoric joy.  The other half died inside, beautifully and deservedly.  That was a pretty intense rivalry back then.

It was the 1989 1-game playoff between the Indians and Yankees to determine the American League East. Man, the stadium was electric. When Cerrano tied it with a 2-run homer in the bottom of the 7th, the stadium erupted. He even circled the bases with his bat! And then Hayes scored the winning run from second on Taylor's surprise bunt. There was nothing like it! You'd think it was game 7 of the World Series. 

Despite going to a lot of pro and colligate games over the years, I haven't left with a ton a great memories. I guess watching Minnesota upset Iowa when they were ranked in a frigid winter game takes the cake, but the funniest was Minnesota vs USC and it had nothing to do with anything on the field. Every seat in the student section had a thick magazine on it detailing the last 50 years of both programs. Students in the upper deck (where I was) started throwing them like frisbees and they boomeranged back onto the students in the lower level. I was in the front row and watched dozens of people get decked in the face as they all ducked for cover. Safe to say I never saw a magazine in the student section again.   

None of the NFL games I've been to have been particularly memorable.  I was there the week after Sean Taylor died and on the first play the defense put out ten men on the field to "honor" him, which resulted in giving up a 30+ yard run. 

So I guess the greatest sports moments I've witnessed were all ultimate frisbee related.  I saw all of Washington Scandal's first national championship in 2013 over the three time champ San Francisco.  I saw Gibson+Gehret outduel the entire (incredibly talented) Wisconsin team to win the national title for Florida. 

Three AFC Championship game wins (95, 08,10) for the Steelers in person. Probably the loudest was a Steelers/Cowboys game in 2008 when Deshea Townsend pick-6'd Tony Romo to seal the game. The fucking upper level was shaking above me.

7 hours ago, Hereward said:

I have nothing whatsoever to contribute to this thread. If anyone starts an “Epic fucking sporting disasters you have witnessed” thread, I will most certainly be there. A lot.

Please make this thread.

Not an actual sports in action moment but for me my most memorable "sports" moment I experienced was one afternoon at the Otesaga Hotel in Cooperstown which we were at for the Baseball Hall of Fame induction weekend.  I was 8 years old and I met so many baseball players from all eras and got so many autographs on my baseball.  I'll never forget meeting Cool Papa Bell who was just sitting in a rocking chair on the back porch and was so lovely talking to excited babbling 8 year old.  But most exciting was turning around and seeing Mickey Mantle come strolling across the porch.  Of course everyone ran up to him and as people crowded around him, he looked around and announced if you were under 10 and had a baseball and a blue ball point pen, he would sign your baseball.  I was one of the only ones who qualified!  I remember running back to my dad with the autograph and he was so amazed I had gotten it.  Such a great day.

Most memorable sports moment I saw live in person...probably Reggie Jackson's 400th home run.  I attended the game with my grandpa and it was the only baseball game we saw together in person.  He took me because he knew I was a huge Yankees fan.  Despite living in the Bronx, my grandpa was at his core a Dodgers fan and never had the heart to root for another team after they left New York.  Of course Jackson had many more home runs after that.  But I just remember the run up to that moment when he hit his 400th and the excitement when it happened.  And I can still picture the Daily News front page after it happened.

1995 Rugby World Cup. I was fortunate enough to have been able to attend all of the Springbok's matches in what was our first participation at the tournament. Three matches stand out in the memory - opening with a great win against the defending champs Australia in Cape Town, a nail biting semi-final victory over France in Durban and toppling the mighty All Blacks after extra time in the final in Joburg.

Archived