TTTNE - This Thread is finanly over. Slowest race ever nearly 3 years.

Pebble thats Stubby

18 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

What’s your weather like, Buckwheat? We had a blast of winter come back. No snow here in the city, but at night the temperatures get down down close to 0 C. And lots of grey skies and rain.

It changes all the time. It was sunny and warm yesterday - very lucky, since we spent most of the day outside in nature, on a field trip. It would have not been pleasant if it had rained.

But today, the skies became more and more grey and just an hour or so ago, we had a short, but thick rain shower.

The temperatures don't drop as low as in your place, though.

10 hours ago, Castellan said:

My husband and sister got their first shots yesterday, the AZ vaccine because the Pfeizer is reserved for young people who are more likely to have blood clots. They both got powerful night fevers with a headache. Mys husband had leg cramps so bad his legs drew up in a fetal position. When he forced them out he could hear some sort of popping in the joints! Then today as those symptoms withdrew they both got cold like symptoms at virtually the same time. My husband was walking round the house saying now my nose is running and next minute the sister texts saying now her nose was running she wasn't sure if it was a symptom or a cold.

As with most other things done during COVID there is a lack of fine tuning. My sister has lung cancer and has been having small vein blockages. My husband has a strong immune system, he never had a flu in his life - till he had one, then when he started having flu shots he would get really bad reactions to them. They should have been able to access the safer shot, in my view, rather than a blanket age rule.

PS now there fevers are coming again as its nught time.

Congratulations to them for the vaccinations.

I am a bit envious that Pfizer is reserved for young people where you are - I am young and we get AZ if we are young, also the 18-year-old students got it. It doesn't make any sense, as this vaccine is riskier for younger people. It sucks that your relatives got the riskier vaccine too ...

I do hope the side effects disappear soon for them. Did you get your vaccine too?

2 hours ago, Arya kiddin' said:

Long time no see good people. How's everybody

I've been trying to get a vaccine scheduled but it's quite full in my area. I realistically might get a date next week.

Arya Kiddin! You are back! :commie: Welcome back. How are you, how is covid-life treating you?

Good luck with the vaccination.

3 hours ago, Arya kiddin' said:

Long time no see good people. How's everybody

I've been trying to get a vaccine scheduled but it's quite full in my area. I realistically might get a date next week.

Oh. My. Goodness. Are my eyes deceiving me? It’s soooooo good to see you check in!! How are you doing? How is life? I hope you are safe in these crazy times. :cheers: :grouphug: 

10 hours ago, Castellan said:

My husband and sister got their first shots yesterday, the AZ vaccine because the Pfeizer is reserved for young people who are more likely to have blood clots. They both got powerful night fevers with a headache. Mys husband had leg cramps so bad his legs drew up in a fetal position. When he forced them out he could hear some sort of popping in the joints! Then today as those symptoms withdrew they both got cold like symptoms at virtually the same time. My husband was walking round the house saying now my nose is running and next minute the sister texts saying now her nose was running she wasn't sure if it was a symptom or a cold.

As with most other things done during COVID there is a lack of fine tuning. My sister has lung cancer and has been having small vein blockages. My husband has a strong immune system, he never had a flu in his life - till he had one, then when he started having flu shots he would get really bad reactions to them. They should have been able to access the safer shot, in my view, rather than a blanket age rule.

PS now there fevers are coming again as its nught time.

I’m so sorry they didn’t get the preferred vaccine. At the same time, it’s promising that managed to get at least something. I hope the side effects will subside soon enough and they get to enjoy the protection. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m so sorry they didn’t get the preferred vaccine. At the same time, it’s promising that managed to get at least something. I hope the side effects will subside soon enough and they get to enjoy the protection. 

Thanks Rhaenys. I will be surprised if the effects continue another day.

Edited by Castellan

:grouphug:

On 5/5/2021 at 2:36 PM, Buckwheat said:

snipsnip

On 5/5/2021 at 3:17 PM, RhaenysBee said:

snipsnip

BW, RB so good to see you. I'm good. Covid life is fine, I've been fortunate to not have been affected badly by it as hellish as this pandemic has proven to be. I've been working from home for a year now so my cooking has improved remarkably.

How have you been?

Did anybody pick any new hobbies in the pandemic? I tried to learn Piano, but I lack discipline and am generally bad at it. Progress is slow, but it's not like I have a concert to play next month :P

Edited by Arya kiddin'

11 hours ago, Arya kiddin' said:

:grouphug:

BW, RB so good to see you. I'm good. Covid life is fine, I've been fortunate to not have been affected badly by it as hellish as this pandemic has proven to be. I've been working from home for a year now so my cooking has improved remarkably.

How have you been?

Did anybody pick any new hobbies in the pandemic? I tried to learn Piano, but I lack discipline and am generally bad at it. Progress is slow, but it's not like I have a concert to play next month :P

Glad to hear that you’ve stayed safe so far! I can relate to the improvement of cooking skills. I’m still a very basic cook and it’s barely cheaper than takeout but at this point I do prefer my own cooking.

No hobbies really, unless you count the questionable level of obsession I’ve developed for audible. At least I’ve got into some healthy-ish habits, such as aforementioned cooking and regular exercise. And I gained back most of the 2020 weight loss, and I’m optimistic that I’ll be able to keep building on that and settle on a solid BMI. 

Great to hear about the piano! Be patient with yourself, it takes a preposterous amount of practice. And I have a feeling we’ll be having more time in quarantine for more hobbies. 

16 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

It is Friday evening, barely 8 PM. I am already showered, in my pyjama, and completely ready to sleep. Wiped out.

I am having the wildest life in the last year of my twenties, I tell you.

:leaving:

Sounds good to me. If I went to sleep before midnight for once in my life maybe I wouldn’t be that tired every morning. Although I still partly blame it on the weather which is 25-28C for two days, then 10-12C for the next two. 
Hope you got some rest and enjoy a nice weekend! 

I’ll be making hot cross buns. Hopefully. I’m kinda scared of it because it’ll be the first time I bake anything that requires yeast. And I need to get a bottle of sparking water so I can have an aperol spritz in the afternoon. First time going into a physical store since I had covid, fingers crossed I won’t die. :leaving: 

11 hours ago, Arya kiddin' said:

How have you been?

Yay for improved cooking, this is always useful.

Keep at piano practice. :) I didn't really pick up any hobbies, but I had a bunch of things to learn anew because I got a new job in September and there are still areas where I am new.

3 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Sounds good to me. If I went to sleep before midnight for once in my life maybe I wouldn’t be that tired every morning. Although I still partly blame it on the weather which is 25-28C for two days, then 10-12C for the next two. 
Hope you got some rest and enjoy a nice weekend! 

I’ll be making hot cross buns. Hopefully. I’m kinda scared of it because it’ll be the first time I bake anything that requires yeast. And I need to get a bottle of sparking water so I can have an aperol spritz in the afternoon. First time going into a physical store since I had covid, fingers crossed I won’t die. :leaving: 

I still slept almost till 9 in the morning, even though I went to sleep around 10. It looks like I really needed it.

The weather is changing a lot here too. Today is sunny again after a few days of horrid rain. Yesterday drive home was very unpleasant because it was pouring.

I am not enjoying my weekend right now due to our upper neighbour renovating her flat and it is very loud. :rolleyes: 

What kind of buns are those?

Good luck with going to a store! I am sure you must be immune for some months now.

4 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Yay for improved cooking, this is always useful.

Keep at piano practice. :) I didn't really pick up any hobbies, but I had a bunch of things to learn anew because I got a new job in September and there are still areas where I am new.

I still slept almost till 9 in the morning, even though I went to sleep around 10. It looks like I really needed it.

The weather is changing a lot here too. Today is sunny again after a few days of horrid rain. Yesterday drive home was very unpleasant because it was pouring.

I am not enjoying my weekend right now due to our upper neighbour renovating her flat and it is very loud. :rolleyes: 

What kind of buns are those?

Good luck with going to a store! I am sure you must be immune for some months now.

That’s nice! One needs to sleep in every once in a while and get the much needed rest. 

I suppose we’re supposed to see permanent summer from next week on. Actually I can wait for it, as we know I don’t particularly fancy summer but stability for more than three days in the weather would be welcome , hehe. 

oh I’m sorry about that, it must pretty annoying. :/// 

This is the recipe I’ll be attempting.

ehh, thanks, I hope so. 

Progress update:

I attempted to machine knead this thing, and it B.R.O.K.E my stand mixer. It’s dead now. I’m taking it surprisingly well because I never really liked this mixer and I know I was cheap when I bought it. So all the quality struggles aren’t really a surprise. Now, I’m not sure I’ll invest in a good quality stand mixer in the near future as I always found setting this thing up a bit of a hassle. And even though I do enjoy baking, I don’t do it that much. As an alternative, I’ll probably purchase a solid hand mixer instead because it’s easier to handle. Then again, I’ll have to look at the prices first. 
Beyond this adventure, I do think somethings not right with my dough because it’s pretty hard and it’s also not exactly rising. So I wouldn’t be surprised if this ended up being a big waste of ingredients - and a broken kitchen tool. What I think might have been my mistake:

-the yeast is not right
-a bit too much milk
-I forgot to mix the dry ingredients before I added the rest - this usually doesn’t affect the result but who knows what’s the deal with anything including yeast. I don’t. 

I’ll go for a walk now and maybe find a shop that’s empty enough for me to enter and buy sparking water. 

14 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Progress update:

I attempted to machine knead this thing, and it B.R.O.K.E my stand mixer. It’s dead now. I’m taking it surprisingly well because I never really liked this mixer and I know I was cheap when I bought it. So all the quality struggles aren’t really a surprise. Now, I’m not sure I’ll invest in a good quality stand mixer in the near future as I always found setting this thing up a bit of a hassle. And even though I do enjoy baking, I don’t do it that much. As an alternative, I’ll probably purchase a solid hand mixer instead because it’s easier to handle. Then again, I’ll have to look at the prices first. 
Beyond this adventure, I do think somethings not right with my dough because it’s pretty hard and it’s also not exactly rising. So I wouldn’t be surprised if this ended up being a big waste of ingredients - and a broken kitchen tool. What I think might have been my mistake:

-the yeast is not right
-a bit too much milk
-I forgot to mix the dry ingredients before I added the rest - this usually doesn’t affect the result but who knows what’s the deal with anything including yeast. I don’t. 

I’ll go for a walk now and maybe find a shop that’s empty enough for me to enter and buy sparking water. 

Hmmmm I have made pizza dough with yeast a lot of times now (we make our home made pizza sometimes) and I cannot think what could be wrong with yeast. A few days ago, I unwrapped a package of yeast and it had mould on it, so my brother and I threw it away - this was the first time I saw anything like it.

I never attempted to use anything but my hands to knead dough. It works okay just using hands.

How long has it been since you left it to rise? Maybe wait a bit longer. We leave our pizza dough to rise for about 45 minutes.

56 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Hmmmm I have made pizza dough with yeast a lot of times now (we make our home made pizza sometimes) and I cannot think what could be wrong with yeast. A few days ago, I unwrapped a package of yeast and it had mould on it, so my brother and I threw it away - this was the first time I saw anything like it.

I never attempted to use anything but my hands to knead dough. It works okay just using hands.

How long has it been since you left it to rise? Maybe wait a bit longer. We leave our pizza dough to rise for about 45 minutes.

First time touching yeast so I have no clue :dunno: 

I wanted to machine knead it exactly because I put more trust in the machine than in myself but that certainly didn’t turn out well. 

It’s been over 1.5 hours and it’s expanded somewhat I suppose. It’s also softened a little bit. I’ll wait another half hour and then decide if it makes sense to go on with the process. 

Buckwheat, congratulations on new job! great to hear. Sad to hear about neighbors renovating, it takes your energy out after a day when you just want to relax. Treat yourself. My sleep schedule gets all weird during the weekdays then I have to stay awake for Saturday to reset the clock. Very difficult to maintain a proper schedule when you are not dependent on going out for 8 hours a day.

RB, good luck on hot cross buns. Mary Berry is the GBBO judge right? I've heard in later life she went bonkers just to publish more books for the money (she has 70+ books I think) and now has multiple conflicting recipes for the same thing. Might be worth checking on the internet if the recipe actually works. I'll pray for the stand mixer's soul.

I've never baked a thing in my life other than banana bread (does lasagna count?) or a sorry looking chocolate cake. But I love watching people bake. Please share the photo of the buns when they're done :)

Also, audible. Folks I tried getting into Audible but found it to be a much less enjoyable experience than reading. Maybe because English is not my first language and some words sometimes just go by without making sense. I started with an Ursula Le Guin book, don't remember which one. Can you suggest another one to try? I'll give it another shot.

42 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

The sodding buns are still rising - for the last time. This was like a 10 Hour project and they may still turn out inedible. I’m so annoyed. 

When it comes to cooking, maybe the best strategy to learn it would be to join forces with somebody who knows what they are doing. It is a lot of fun to cook together. But sadly, covid might be a problem if you don't want to be in enclosed spaces with other people right now. Soooo ... no real idea about what to do with your buns now. But my elderly grandmother showed the valonqar and myself how to make a strudel about a month or two ago. We did most of the work, and she provided the expertise - what needs to be added, how to knead and so on. She just touched the dough and immediately knew what to add and she still has that touch to pull and spread the strudel dough, even though she hasn't baked it in a long time. It was amazing.

5 minutes ago, Arya kiddin' said:

Buckwheat, congratulations on new job! great to hear. Sad to hear about neighbors renovating, it takes your energy out after a day when you just want to relax. Treat yourself. My sleep schedule gets all weird during the weekdays then I have to stay awake for Saturday to reset the clock. Very difficult to maintain a proper schedule when you are not dependent on going out for 8 hours a day.

Thanks!

I worked a month and a half or so "on location", and then was sent to work from home, so it was quite hard to adjust to everything new in such a short time.

Sleep schedule is a tricky thing to mantain in all cases. When I worked from home, I was just as tired in the afternoon as I am when I am in school. 4 or so hours on Zoom are really exahusting, just in a different way. I had headaches and my eyes hurt for a time almost every day. Now, I work from the school, but still have a part of the classes online. It is still better than from home, even though the commute is long.

5 minutes ago, Arya kiddin' said:

I've never baked a thing in my life other than banana bread (does lasagna count?) or a sorry looking chocolate cake. But I love watching people bake. Please share the photo of the buns when they're done.

I am sure a lasagna counts. Great, now I want a lasagna. :P

13 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Thanks!

I worked a month and a half or so "on location", and then was sent to work from home, so it was quite hard to adjust to everything new in such a short time.

Sleep schedule is a tricky thing to mantain in all cases. When I worked from home, I was just as tired in the afternoon as I am when I am in school. 4 or so hours on Zoom are really exahusting, just in a different way. I had headaches and my eyes hurt for a time almost every day. Now, I work from the school, but still have a part of the classes online. It is still better than from home, even though the commute is long.

I am sure a lasagna counts. Great, now I want a lasagna. :P

Yeah the video calls are exhausting, we use Teams. Some people have absolutely lost their sense of boundaries with this. They think a Teams call is the same as dropping by at someone's desk and abuse that function. Makes me rage.

It's good you're commuting BW, do the thing that keeps you healthier. Rona madness started here last March, and June I moved to a new apartment which is 7 minutes walking to my workplace. At the time I did not know working from home would go on for this long so all the moving effort has been for nothing :dunce:.

41 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

When it comes to cooking, maybe the best strategy to learn it would be to join forces with somebody who knows what they are doing. It is a lot of fun to cook together. But sadly, covid might be a problem if you don't want to be in enclosed spaces with other people right now. Soooo ... no real idea about what to do with your buns now. But my elderly grandmother showed the valonqar and myself how to make a strudel about a month or two ago. We did most of the work, and she provided the expertise - what needs to be added, how to knead and so on. She just touched the dough and immediately knew what to add and she still has that touch to pull and spread the strudel dough, even though she hasn't baked it in a long time. It was amazing.

Yeah these are the times when I regret not sticking around family more in my late teens early twenties to learn these things. My own grandma had often invited me over to teach me classic cooking but I always turned it down because well... I was 20(ish) and friends, shopping, cocktails and men were more interesting at the time... I mean I only have love for college rhaenys but boy she’d annoy the shit out of me today. And yes, grandmothers’ cooking and baking is lost art form at the least, if not the last ounce of magic in the world. 

Anyway, a friend who’s become a bread baking wizard during the pandemic did help me salvage the dough. Which I now kinda burned even though it was in the exact time the recipe said. I guess I’m done with baking a while. 

44 minutes ago, Arya kiddin' said:

RB, good luck on hot cross buns. Mary Berry is the GBBO judge right? I've heard in later life she went bonkers just to publish more books for the money (she has 70+ books I think) and now has multiple conflicting recipes for the same thing. Might be worth checking on the internet if the recipe actually works. I'll pray for the stand mixer's soul.

I've never baked a thing in my life other than banana bread (does lasagna count?) or a sorry looking chocolate cake. But I love watching people bake. Please share the photo of the buns when they're done :)

Also, audible. Folks I tried getting into Audible but found it to be a much less enjoyable experience than reading. Maybe because English is not my first language and some words sometimes just go by without making sense. I started with an Ursula Le Guin book, don't remember which one. Can you suggest another one to try? I'll give it another shot.

Ah sorry about the sleep schedule.

Well I’ll certainly never attempt this recipe again. And this would be the meme-worthy, utter fucking disaster they turned out to be. 

I only ever listened to non fiction on audible and I love it. Some of my favorite listens have been: 
yuval Noah Harari - Sapiens 
jonathan Haidt, Greg Lukianoff - The Coddling of the American Mind
jonathan Haidt - the righteous mind 
Peter Frankopan - The Silk Roads
Malcolm Gladwell - Talking to Strangers 
But yes, I totally get that audible is not everybody’s cup of tea. I was actually shocked to find myself loving it. When I subscribed, I expected to barely use it and cancel in 3 months. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yeah these are the times when I regret not sticking around family more in my late teens early twenties to learn these things. My own grandma had often invited me over to teach me classic cooking but I always turned it down because well... I was 20(ish) and friends, shopping, cocktails and men were more interesting at the time... I mean I only have love for college rhaenys but boy she’d annoy the shit out of me today. And yes, grandmothers’ cooking and baking is lost art form at the least, if not the last ounce of magic in the world. 

Anyway, a friend who’s become a bread baking wizard during the pandemic did help me salvage the dough. Which I now kinda burned even though it was in the exact time the recipe said. I guess I’m done with baking a while. 

Ah sorry about the sleep schedule.

Well I’ll certainly never attempt this recipe again. And this would be the meme-worthy, utter fucking disaster they turned out to be. 

I only ever listened to non fiction on audible and I love it. Some of my favorite listens have been: 
yuval Noah Harari - Sapiens 
jonathan Haidt, Greg Lukianoff - The Coddling of the American Mind
jonathan Haidt - the righteous mind 
Peter Frankopan - The Silk Roads
Malcolm Gladwell - Talking to Strangers 
But yes, I totally get that audible is not everybody’s cup of tea. I was actually shocked to find myself loving it. When I subscribed, I expected to barely use it and cancel in 3 months. 

Oh that's sad about the buns. I think half the baking recipes on internet are not correct. Do you know the youtube channel Tasty? They've been called out so many times about how the recipes they publish and the product they show can never be the same. Keep trying :thumbsup:

I'll try Talking to Strangers. Jonathan Haidt I did not like because Righteous Mind did not lead anywhere (how did you like it in Audible, it has tables and stuff)

I've met Peter Frankopan! I have a signed coy of his Byzantine Empire book, met him at the Jaipur Literature Festival in 2014/15. I'll check out Silk Roads