TTTNE - This Thread is finanly over. Slowest race ever nearly 3 years.

Pebble thats Stubby

*wind blows an empty plastic bag across thread*

well then…  I suppose I’ll continue my not-holiday diaries :lol: 

The third and last day was also kinda meh. We had an all right brunch and the weather was nice for some coast time (is it still called a coast if it’s a lake?), but I had an implacable headache and couldn’t really enjoy any of it. 

Yesterday I cleaned the flat and headed out to get a coffee and read in the park in the afternoon. Then I awkwardly ran into a guy with whom I used to work in the same offices. We had a semi-awkward coffee and I went home because it would have felt even more awkward to say ok bye I want to read in a park now. In the evening I had a much needed 4-hour video chat with my friend, which was sooooooo nice. 

Now I’m back at the park to actually read. 

32 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

(is it still called a coast if it’s a lake?)

I think it is.

Sorry about your headache, I hope it is better now. Enjoy your reading at the park.

My last few days were quite boring, so I didn't have much to post about. I am looking at advertisments for flats a lot - I want to live closer to my workplace to avoid the long commute and to finally be away from my parents (yes, I know I have been saying this for years now :( ). But it looks like there is not much of a market for small flats to rent in that town at all. :( There are very few ads and obviously most of them are too expensive and too big for me.

22 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I think it is.

Sorry about your headache, I hope it is better now. Enjoy your reading at the park.

My last few days were quite boring, so I didn't have much to post about. I am looking at advertisments for flats a lot - I want to live closer to my workplace to avoid the long commute and to finally be away from my parents (yes, I know I have been saying this for years now :( ). But it looks like there is not much of a market for small flats to rent in that town at all. :( There are very few ads and obviously most of them are too expensive and too big for me.

Ah I’m sorry. I know the rental market is quite a mayhem here these days. And I suppose the more specific requirements you have, the more difficult the search is. What parameters are you looking for? (In terms of size, distance from workplace and the like) 

Good luck with the hunt, hope you find something to your liking without too much compromise :cheers: 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Ah I’m sorry. I know the rental market is quite a mayhem here these days. And I suppose the more specific requirements you have, the more difficult the search is. What parameters are you looking for? (In terms of size, distance from workplace and the like) 

Good luck with the hunt, hope you find something to your liking without too much compromise :cheers: 

I am looking within lets say, half an hour walking distance from my workplace (don't have my own car, and public transport system there is ... lacking, to say the least), furnished, and ... well, I would be happy with anything quite small, I am alone and don't need that much space, anything over 35 mis already too much for me, also in terms of price.

I called two numbers and now I am going to go look at two flats today afternoon! :commie: 

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

I am looking within lets say, half an hour walking distance from my workplace (don't have my own car, and public transport system there is ... lacking, to say the least), furnished, and ... well, I would be happy with anything quite small, I am alone and don't need that much space, anything over 35 mis already too much for me, also in terms of price.

I called two numbers and now I am going to go look at two flats today afternoon! :commie: 

Oh yeah, that makes perfect sense. Though I suppose it limits the eligible area quite a bit. I don’t know about your town, but we have an ample supply of studio flats of that size category around here (mostly between 28-32 m2), hope you find a decent selection. And yay for the finds! Good luck and let us know how it goes! :cheers: 

Edited by RhaenysBee

9 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Oh yeah, that makes perfect sense. Though I suppose it limits the eligible area quite a bit. I don’t know about your town, but we have an ample supply of studio flats of that size category around here (mostly between 28-32 m2), hope you find a decent selection. And yay for the finds! Good luck and let us know how it goes! :cheers: 

I mean, yes, you live in a big city. My workplace is ... tiny. Seriously.

Both flats I looked at were smaller than that. There is no good selection at all. And they both want me to decide by tomorrow. I don't know what to do.

59 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I am shaken to my core. I won’t go into the context, but I needed to express this. 

Are you alright?

12 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I mean, yes, you live in a big city. My workplace is ... tiny. Seriously.

Both flats I looked at were smaller than that. There is no good selection at all. And they both want me to decide by tomorrow. I don't know what to do.

Are you alright?

Yeah, fair enough, I suppose a smaller city offers smaller choice. 

As someone who lived in a 28sqm studio for 5 years, I wouldn’t recommend going under 30. It also depends on the layout, but things get challenging  around that mark. 

oh yes, certainly, it’s just a new level of absurdity I had the joy to experience tonight. 

8 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yeah, fair enough, I suppose a smaller city offers smaller choice. 

As someone who lived in a 28sqm studio for 5 years, I wouldn’t recommend going under 30. It also depends on the layout, but things get challenging  around that mark. 

oh yes, certainly, it’s just a new level of absurdity I had the joy to experience tonight. 

Well, of course it would be great to find something around 30 m2, but there doesn't seem to be ... one flat I looked at was 21 m2 and the other one 25 m2. The next ad if I sort them by size is already 40 m2, and accordingly more expensive. Nothing in between.

I don't plan on living there for 5 years though ... in fact, I don't seem to plan 5 years in advance at all. Before 5 years pass, I will probably be able to decide if I want to stay in that town long term and then it would make sense to actually buy a  sligjtly bigger flat instead of renting a studio (not very likely), or I will find a job somewhere else, I hope.

Well, of course it would be great to find something around 30 m2, but there doesn't seem to be ... one flat I looked at was 21 m2 and the other one 25 m2. The next ad if I sort them by size is already 40 m2, and accordingly more expensive. Nothing in between.

I don't plan on living there for 5 years though ... in fact, I don't seem to plan 5 years in advance at all. Before 5 years pass, I will probably be able to decide if I want to stay in that town long term and then it would make sense to actually buy a  sligjtly bigger flat instead of renting a studio (not very likely), or I will find a job somewhere else, I hope.

Sure, I don’t think anybody really plans 5 years ahead. The world is just too changeable. At least at this stage of life. 

Do you already know what you’re going to decide? 

On 8/8/2021 at 11:25 AM, RhaenysBee said:

*wind blows an empty plastic bag across thread*

well then…  I suppose I’ll continue my not-holiday diaries :lol: 

The third and last day was also kinda meh. We had an all right brunch and the weather was nice for some coast time (is it still called a coast if it’s a lake?), but I had an implacable headache and couldn’t really enjoy any of it. 

Yesterday I cleaned the flat and headed out to get a coffee and read in the park in the afternoon. Then I awkwardly ran into a guy with whom I used to work in the same offices. We had a semi-awkward coffee and I went home because it would have felt even more awkward to say ok bye I want to read in a park now. In the evening I had a much needed 4-hour video chat with my friend, which was sooooooo nice. 

Now I’m back at the park to actually read. 

Oh these kind of things bring joy to life.

Edited by Meera of Tarth

On 8/10/2021 at 9:35 AM, RhaenysBee said:

Do you already know what you’re going to decide? 

Yes. ;)

I am annoyed. <_< I wanted to spend last week and this week having fun with friends in the city or maybe going on some trips or whatever ... but it turned out nobody is here or they have no time, so I am bored in the middle of the summer, in the free time, with perfect weather. The gentleman that I wanted to spend some time with is also stuck somewhere else, and he planned to come back to the city already, but the thing he is doing apparently is taking more time than planned now, so I haven't even seen him. :( I have to start work again next week and it looks like I won't be able to catch up with anybody until then!

19 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

The other day I went to Costa Brava for the second time in my life (beach) and got burned but had an amazing time.

That sounds absolutely amazing! 

Yes. ;)

I am annoyed. <_< I wanted to spend last week and this week having fun with friends in the city or maybe going on some trips or whatever ... but it turned out nobody is here or they have no time, so I am bored in the middle of the summer, in the free time, with perfect weather. The gentleman that I wanted to spend some time with is also stuck somewhere else, and he planned to come back to the city already, but the thing he is doing apparently is taking more time than planned now, so I haven't even seen him. :( I have to start work again next week and it looks like I won't be able to catch up with anybody until then!

I’m sorry, this is annoying. 

hope you’ll enjoy whichever flat you picked! (Or find the right one if you didn’t pick either)

My goodness, I’m dead inside. Today I’m still working on placing an order for a bunch of bloody tshirts for a bloody event. This has been an ongoing process for THREE WEEKS. Then I spent an hour fighting an administration system to record ONE thing. And now I spent an hour redrafting an email invite and SENDING IT TO ANOTHER PERSON to review again so we can redraft it again. This is what has become of my life…….. 

6 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m sorry, this is annoying. 

Yeah ... now two people have said they had time on Saturday - after I seriously started thinking about visiting relatives on Friday-Saturday because, well, looks like nobody has time anyway ... ah well. I will figure it out, I suppose.

6 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

hope you’ll enjoy whichever flat you picked! (Or find the right one if you didn’t pick either)

My goodness, I’m dead inside. Today I’m still working on placing an order for a bunch of bloody tshirts for a bloody event. This has been an ongoing process for THREE WEEKS. Then I spent an hour fighting an administration system to record ONE thing. And now I spent an hour redrafting an email invite and SENDING IT TO ANOTHER PERSON to review again so we can redraft it again. This is what has become of my life…….. 

I picked one of them - the slightly less tiny one. I have to go through the contract now and see what's up ... looks like I am going to live on my own this month already! I am excited.

Hmmmm ... don't know what to think of your situation. I am sure there are tasks at any job that one hates - but on the other hand, some parts that you like must be there as well, right?

7 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Yeah ... now two people have said they had time on Saturday - after I seriously started thinking about visiting relatives on Friday-Saturday because, well, looks like nobody has time anyway ... ah well. I will figure it out, I suppose.

I picked one of them - the slightly less tiny one. I have to go through the contract now and see what's up ... looks like I am going to live on my own this month already! I am excited.

Hmmmm ... don't know what to think of your situation. I am sure there are tasks at any job that one hates - but on the other hand, some parts that you like must be there as well, right?

Good luck, you’ll have a fun weekend either way! 

yay, congrats on the flat! :commie: it’s going to be so exciting to make it your own and live there! :commie: Let us know how it goes and what the flat’s like and what you’re doing with it and all!!!!! And you know, I’m a tiny bit obsessed with interior design, so don’t go easy on the details :lol: 

To be honest with you, I’m not at all sure. There were a couple times when it gave me a sense of accomplishment to successfully launch the process I’m responsible for (the better word is operate - and that is a huge part of why I struggle with this job). But there isn’t anything enjoyable or creative. There’s no sense of control or meaning or result. Even if there’s something I am able to find joy in, my contribution gets completely lost by the time there’s an end product. And that’s awfully demotivating. It’s an ego thing I should let go of, I know, but I think I’m still too young and idealistic for that. It also doesn’t help that simultaneously there’s an expectation and even a necessity to make yourself seen (and to even compete). I feel that the stuff I’m good at is undervalued, while the things they do value I suck at, and all the positive impact my previous job had on me as a person and a professional is being overwritten by bullshit. And I don’t feel accomplished and senior and self assured enough to just do stuff my way regardless. But I also don’t want to assimilate into these weird and often counterproductive practices. Okay sorry, this wasn’t the time or the place to go that deep, I didn’t mean to. / ramble 

12 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Good luck, you’ll have a fun weekend either way! 

yay, congrats on the flat! :commie: it’s going to be so exciting to make it your own and live there! :commie: Let us know how it goes and what the flat’s like and what you’re doing with it and all!!!!! And you know, I’m a tiny bit obsessed with interior design, so don’t go easy on the details :lol: 

I mean, I am not allowed to change much anyway. Most of the furnishing is there already.

To be honest with you, I’m not at all sure. There were a couple times when it gave me a sense of accomplishment to successfully launch the process I’m responsible for (the better word is operate - and that is a huge part of why I struggle with this job). But there isn’t anything enjoyable or creative. There’s no sense of control or meaning or result. Even if there’s something I am able to find joy in, my contribution gets completely lost by the time there’s an end product. And that’s awfully demotivating. It’s an ego thing I should let go of, I know, but I think I’m still too young and idealistic for that. It also doesn’t help that simultaneously there’s an expectation and even a necessity to make yourself seen (and to even compete). I feel that the stuff I’m good at is undervalued, while the things they do value I suck at, and all the positive impact my previous job had on me as a person and a professional is being overwritten by bullshit. And I don’t feel accomplished and senior and self assured enough to just do stuff my way regardless. But I also don’t want to assimilate into these weird and often counterproductive practices. Okay sorry, this wasn’t the time or the place to go that deep, I didn’t mean to. / ramble 

I think I understand ... I don't know what to say to help though. :grouphug: Maybe it gets better once you get used to it?

I start work again on Tuesday, but the school year for the students starts in September.

Edited by Buckwheat

23 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I mean, I am not allowed to change much anyway. Most of the furnishing is there already.

I think I understand ... I don't know what to say to help though. :grouphug: Maybe it gets better once you get used to it?

I start work again on Tuesday, but the school year for the students starts in September.

Ah well, at least moving will be less trouble. When do you get the keys? 

well that’s the point, I’m not sure I want to get used to it. 

Good luck with back to work! Will you be starting hibrid/digital or normal? Funny how this is a question we ask now. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Ah well, at least moving will be less trouble. When do you get the keys? 

well that’s the point, I’m not sure I want to get used to it. 

Good luck with back to work! Will you be starting hibrid/digital or normal? Funny how this is a question we ask now. 

Probably next week, or maybe the Monday after that. Official day of the contract starting is the Monday after next week.

Then ... you will have to find another job, right? I mean, or go absolutely crazy doing something you hate every day, but this is not something I recommend.

Normal! Please don't even talk about the possibility of online schooling anymore, I am desperately clinging to the chance of normal in-person schooling this year. I want to go through this year the way my work is supposed to look like.

In fact, I am starting with a 3-day orientation/getting to know each other camp in a town a bit away from where I work. Before I even get to know my students, I will have to control them in a completely different environment, away from their parents for 3 days. That should be ... challenging.

23 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Probably next week, or maybe the Monday after that. Official day of the contract starting is the Monday after next week.

Then ... you will have to find another job, right? I mean, or go absolutely crazy doing something you hate every day, but this is not something I recommend.

Normal! Please don't even talk about the possibility of online schooling anymore, I am desperately clinging to the chance of normal in-person schooling this year. I want to go through this year the way my work is supposed to look like.

In fact, I am starting with a 3-day orientation/getting to know each other camp in a town a bit away from where I work. Before I even get to know my students, I will have to control them in a completely different environment, away from their parents for 3 days. That should be ... challenging.

That sounds great! I suppose it means you’ll have the chance to be all settled before the school year starts and work gets busy? 

at some point yes, though I do have the intention of riding out covid here. Unless they sack my arse for some reason :lol: that’d be an unpleasant but potentially life changing event. But no I don’t want to be sacked. 

well then I hope things work out for the better and you get to enjoy teaching in a real classroom. 

good luck with that :o (yes I’m still terrified of teenagers)