TTTNE - This Thread is finanly over. Slowest race ever nearly 3 years.

Pebble thats Stubby

I was at a wedding yesterday. The first time somebody in my friend circle in my generation getting married and inviting me, I think I was at one or two weddings of distant relatives as a child, but I've never been invited as myself before, not just somebody who comes along with my parents. (My friend circle doesn't get married a lot, it seems.)

It was long.

I had some fun some of the time, but most of the time it was awkward because I didn't know almost anybody there and didn't have people to talk to - I don't want to intrude on people's conversations if I don't know them. And am terrible at introducing myself in unstructured settings, it seeems.

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I was at a wedding yesterday. The first time somebody in my friend circle in my generation getting married and inviting me, I think I was at one or two weddings of distant relatives as a child, but I've never been invited as myself before, not just somebody who comes along with my parents. (My friend circle doesn't get married a lot, it seems.)

It was long.

I had some fun some of the time, but most of the time it was awkward because I didn't know almost anybody there and didn't have people to talk to - I don't want to intrude on people's conversations if I don't know them. And am terrible at introducing myself in unstructured settings, it seeems.

I wholeheartedly sympathize. Although there have been several weddings in my friend circle. But I find weddings pretty awkward if you are not there as family. Sure the couple is sweet and it’s a warm and fuzzy feeling to watch them on their happy day, but it’s certainly a socially awkward event for someone of my personality. Was there a delicious cake? 

12 hours ago, felice said:

It's their commitment, so no, unfortunately staycations don't really work. Hopefully it won't be too long before they can reschedule. And we're lucky to be living in a country that's been so minimally affected by Covid so far.

Fingers crossed for some time off for them. 

Yes the most important is staying safe and healthy these days. Where in the world are you located? Sorry, I’m sure you’ve mentioned it before it just slipped my memory. 

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I wholeheartedly sympathize. Although there have been several weddings in my friend circle. But I find weddings pretty awkward if you are not there as family. Sure the couple is sweet and it’s a warm and fuzzy feeling to watch them on their happy day, but it’s certainly a socially awkward event for someone of my personality. Was there a delicious cake? 

Yes, delicious cake and other dishes! And also dancing, dancing relaxes the situations, at least when everybody can dance by themselves. Obviously it is hard to dance in pairs if you are there alone.

21 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Just so depressing to see no one learn the lessons in real-time. We invaded and dragged out the conflict so poorly, why shouldn't we also leave in the most irresponsible way possible?

Big cities in the heat are the worst. 

Yes, it's so sad after all these years...now it gets just a few seconds to leave withiut guarantees of them not being there...

9 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Where in the world are you located? Sorry, I’m sure you’ve mentioned it before it just slipped my memory.

I may well not have mentioned it, but I'm in New Zealand. We got our first community case of Delta last Tuesday, so the whole country has been in total lockdown since then (for the first time since last April).

7 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Yes, delicious cake and other dishes! And also dancing, dancing relaxes the situations, at least when everybody can dance by themselves. Obviously it is hard to dance in pairs if you are there alone.

Sounds yummy! In my experience wedding dances very quickly turn into collective group dancing, even if people, usually elderly relatives, attempt to dance in pairs at first. Customs may be different there though. 

1 minute ago, felice said:

I may well not have mentioned it, but I'm in New Zealand. We got our first community case of Delta last Tuesday, so the whole country has been in total lockdown since then (for the first time since last April).

Right! The only place in the world that has a grip on handling covid outbreaks. It must be absolutely beautiful place to live in too :drunk: 

9 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Sounds yummy! In my experience wedding dances very quickly turn into collective group dancing, even if people, usually elderly relatives, attempt to dance in pairs at first. Customs may be different there though.

There was both, people dancing in pairs and just collectively as a group. At the same time too.

4 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I didn't sleep that well. I need go get used to it, I think.

Probably. It usually took me 3-8 weeks to get used to new flats. Buuuuut I hope you enjoyed the evening and daytime stay there. Was your family sad that you left? I guess it’s still bittersweet even though it’s the best for you. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Probably. It usually took me 3-8 weeks to get used to new flats. Buuuuut I hope you enjoyed the evening and daytime stay there. Was your family sad that you left? I guess it’s still bittersweet even though it’s the best for you. 

I mean, this post makes it sound like way too much of a drama than it is. :P I am already coming home for the weekend later today. Nobody said anything in particular.

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I mean, this post makes it sound like way too much of a drama than it is. :P I am already coming home for the weekend later today. Nobody said anything in particular.

:blushing: that is entirely possible, sorry, maybe my brain is compensating for the most boring work week of my existence. Thankfully it’s finally over. have a great time at home over the weekend! :cheers: 

I successfully survived my first parent-teacher conference yesterday. Whew. But tomorrow, an even bigger challenge awaits me - the introduction camp for my own class, that I am going to be the class teacher (how do you call that teacher? The main one who takes care of all the administration for a particular class) for. I am going to be personally responsible for the well-being, health and behaviour of a group of 29 15(-ish)-year-olds that I don't even know yet. For three days. Yes, including overnight. In an unknown environment.

I am very much freaking out. *nervous*

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Also, I discovered today in the morning that my precious new flat has ants coming into the kitchen. So that's just great.

There is that stuff you smear on their route through your kitchen that kills em. Stops them anyway. Not sure if they learn not to come or if they carry it back and kill their whole nest.

On the COVID theme, I had a surprise yesterday. I have been avoiding doing a proper supermarket shop because we are having a strict lockdown (by which I mean a proper lockdown, this state had a half assed approach to lockdowns which is why Delta has zoomed up) and every time I try to order the food delivered I find the delivery spots are booked out. So I went in late in the day and found it pretty deserted and with lots of empty shelves. I don't know if this is panic buying or more likely just everyone turning to delivery from the two major supermarket chains (who offer it). Some suburbs are really strictly locked down and they probably want to get enough in to see them through, keep their hungry kids at bay etc. The toilet paper mania doesn't seem to be happening, nor the canned tuna mania, just meat, fish & and some vegetables were very depleted as well as some canned goods. I mean it was a first world problem, you could still buy stuff to cook and eat, I was just surprised.

Then I came home really tired and flustered and realised it was probably the effects of the second AZ jab I had the day before and went to bed. That was my outing into the world.

Edited by Castellan