TTTNE - This Thread is finanly over. Slowest race ever nearly 3 years.

Pebble thats Stubby

Everyone has been riveted on the TV or internet, I suppose, watching idiots playing at insurrection or COVID explosions. If anyone hasn't I congratulate you. I haven't been able to resist but I think I would have been better off pottering in a garden.

4 hours ago, Castellan said:

Everyone has been riveted on the TV or internet, I suppose, watching idiots playing at insurrection or COVID explosions. If anyone hasn't I congratulate you. I haven't been able to resist but I think I would have been better off pottering in a garden.

Probably. But sometimes it is better for one's mental state to turn off the news and take a moment to forget about all the stuff going on, even though it is very hard.

10 hours ago, Castellan said:

I had successfully weaned myself off of following covid news. I still check stats every other day, but I don’t really strain my mind with the idiotic narrative the media weaves around it. As for insurrection, I’ve seen the outrage on social media. And I do sympathize with you all, it just fills one with sadness and disappointment that this is the direction humanity is head. (Still, my first reaction was an Old Nan sigh. My sweet summer children, around here political protestors try to break into the parliament / storm the national radio building / lock and barricade themselves off in university buildings every other year.)

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Probably. But sometimes it is better for one's mental state to turn off the news and take a moment to forget about all the stuff going on, even though it is very hard.

Indeed. :agree: 

I have been reading the Witcher lately. Again. Still. Four books in, last night I finally read the first chapter that had me interested and invested for its entire length. The text and the story had a natural and realistic flow, it was enjoyable to read. My issue with the Witcher books has been that I can count on one hand the amount of times I managed to lose myself in the story and read about events/characters that the story made me care about. I could go on at length about why these novels just don’t click with me, but I’ll do that only after I finish the rest of the books. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

I have been reading the Witcher lately. Again. Still. Four books in, last night I finally read the first chapter that had me interested and invested for its entire length. The text and the story had a natural and realistic flow, it was enjoyable to read. My issue with the Witcher books has been that I can count on one hand the amount of times I managed to lose myself in the story and read about events/characters that the story made me care about. I could go on at length about why these novels just don’t click with me, but I’ll do that only after I finish the rest of the books. 

I am sorry to ask a rude question, but why do you keep on reading books that don't interest you? And even a fourth one in the series?

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I am sorry to ask a rude question, but why do you keep on reading books that don't interest you? And even a fourth one in the series?

Why is that a rude question? :lol: 

I liked the series and I thought the books would do the service of filling gaps and answering questions. And since I have no fantasy/franchise obsession in my life since GoT went downhill, I desperately want something to fill that void too. These are also times when I desperately want to immerse myself in a fictional world and escape from reality a little. (I’ve been listening a whole lot of non fiction on audible, which is great for several reasons, but it also made my soul crave something entirely fictional and fantastic). The first two Witcher books are actually short stories about random Witcher adventures and thus I can’t blame them for feeling like extended scenes - they practically are. In that sense I’m only on book 2 of the series. And like I said, I desperately want to like it and I still hold out hope that it’ll get very good. And you know, I wouldn’t mind seeing the END of a damn story for a change... *cough* *sideeye* (nope, at this point I won’t read TWOW on principle, even if it sees daylight) In any other phase of my life, I would have long abandoned it.

To be fair, I’m expecting a bit too much from this book series, I’m aware. (And I might enjoy it far more if I spoke polish and were able to read the original. Heck, it might even be more faithful to read it in Hungarian because the structure of the language is far more similar to Polish than English)

I bet you regret asking me to ramble more about my love hate relationship with the Witcher books. :lol: 

Why is that a rude question? :lol: 

I liked the series and I thought the books would do the service of filling gaps and answering questions. And since I have no fantasy/franchise obsession in my life since GoT went downhill, I desperately want something to fill that void too. These are also times when I desperately want to immerse myself in a fictional world and escape from reality a little. (I’ve been listening a whole lot of non fiction on audible, which is great for several reasons, but it also made my soul crave something entirely fictional and fantastic). The first two Witcher books are actually short stories about random Witcher adventures and thus I can’t blame them for feeling like extended scenes - they practically are. In that sense I’m only on book 2 of the series. And like I said, I desperately want to like it and I still hold out hope that it’ll get very good. And you know, I wouldn’t mind seeing the END of a damn story for a change... *cough* *sideeye* (nope, at this point I won’t read TWOW on principle, even if it sees daylight) In any other phase of my life, I would have long abandoned it.

To be fair, I’m expecting a bit too much from this book series, I’m aware. (And I might enjoy it far more if I spoke polish and were able to read the original. Heck, it might even be more faithful to read it in Hungarian because the structure of the language is far more similar to Polish than English)

I bet you regret asking me to ramble more about my love hate relationship with the Witcher books. :lol: 

Your first answer, about filling in the gaps from the show, makes a lot of sense.

I do hope you find a series you actually enjoy reading some time soon though! Or you know, even just standalone books.

A friend has recommended that I should watch The Witcher. How many seasons of that are there anyway?

11 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Your first answer, about filling in the gaps from the show, makes a lot of sense.

I do hope you find a series you actually enjoy reading some time soon though! Or you know, even just standalone books.

A friend has recommended that I should watch The Witcher. How many seasons of that are there anyway?

And the rest is kinda psychotic, I know :lmao: oh well :D

Only one season with maybe 8 episodes? They started shooting the second but rumors about its cancellation have been circulating for a while. I hope there’ll be at least one more season. 

9 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Only one season with maybe 8 episodes? They started shooting the second but rumors about its cancellation have been circulating for a while. I hope there’ll be at least one more season. 

It might help to know the first season takes place over many years, and each of the main characters starts off at a different point in the timeline. The second season has certainly had difficulties with production (mostly due to covid) but seems unlikely that they'd write off all the work and money that's already gone into it.

47 minutes ago, felice said:

It might help to know the first season takes place over many years, and each of the main characters starts off at a different point in the timeline. The second season has certainly had difficulties with production (mostly due to covid) but seems unlikely that they'd write off all the work and money that's already gone into it.

That sounds reassuring. And yes, it is for this reason exactly that it took me two attempts to watch the series and I only liked it for the second time. But I did like it quite a bit then. 

2 hours ago, First of My Name said:

All the ads I get on this page are for buckwheat grain. I think the advertisement algorithm is confused by a certain username :P 

I wonder whose name that could be ... :leaving: 

EDIT: Whoops, now I have these ads too.

Edited by Buckwheat

3 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

no grain or seeds adverts for me here, yet.

Hello all.   I feel kind of responsible to occasionally post in this threadlet since I started it.

Had the same struggle with the previous thread. I really would have felt stupid if it all ended with my thread he-he. 

So let’s find something worthwhile to say... I’m alone, sister’s spending a couple days at my mum’s. 

prince William got a new doggy bed and he loves it. He couldn’t believe he finally got his very own bed. He only ever had blankets and mats in all his life. I’m so glad we spoil him in his old age at least. And I hope he’ll continue to enjoy that bed for another year. 

4 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Hello all.   I feel kind of responsible to occasionally post in this threadlet since I started it.

Had the same struggle with the previous thread. I really would have felt stupid if it all ended with my thread he-he. 

I mean, it is reason for not letting the thread die ...

I am going to my workplace on Friday! Already weirdly happy about it after all the staying at home business.

Not that schools are opening, not by far ... basically I will do the same as home, work remotely over Zoom. But just a change of scenery will be nice, I hope.

I don't really have anything to say,  ya know.  so much has not happened this year that is not global news It makes it hard to talk about anything.

I could tell you I just peeled the spuds ready for tonight's dinner, but I doubt you will be interested in that.

Oh and yes I will do what I can to make sure this threadlet reaches 1k.  I'm hoping not to win it or I'll have to make the next one also reach 1k