TTTNE - This Thread is finanly over. Slowest race ever nearly 3 years.

Pebble thats Stubby

On 11/10/2021 at 9:16 PM, Buckwheat said:

Actually I only have a single bed, which is squeezed between the wall and the back of the couch (so I climb onto it from the feet end of the bed - tiny studio flat). In order to be able to sleep next to each other, we pulled out the couch and both slept on it. It is relatively comfortable, as far as couches go, so that wasn't an issue. But I only have one soft bed pillow and one usual blanket, plus one woollen blanket. He used the only good pillow, my head was on the less comfortable edge-of-the-couch pillow, and we used the same blanket ... he was too warm and I am just not used to go to sleep touching somebody (obviously didn't want to stop touching either!). He slept surprisingly well, next to somebody (me) moving and trying to find a more comfortable position all night long.

Because as nice a workplace as this is, yeah, whoever was in charge when the work hours were discussed was crazy, I suppose. I mean, I got used to it now that I live close to work and come there in 15 minutes on foot. And I don't start that early every day. However, students generally start either at 7 or 7.50 every day, and some have a loooong bus or train ride to get here. I honestly don't know how some of them manage. They are tough little things. ;)

Only on a laptop, below the user's avatar.

I had that too in my studio flat, but honestly it was a place to dump stuff, I (or we, whenever that was a thing) always slept on the pull-put sofa. Oh temperature preferences…! I hated going to hotels and having the AC on all damn night. I can’t sleep well with AC on. And window vs AC was such a source of conflict. Not that I had any clue about conflict management in my early twenties. Oh well. Extra bedding is always a plus so I suppose it’s worth investing in it. Hope you find the way sleeping-over works for you best :cheers: 

I used to start secondary school at 7:30 and we had thought even that was barbaric. 7:00 sounds terrible. 

I did prefer the sleek black and white forum look, but functionality-wise I’m quite happy with what we got. At least the mobile version is much improved and I use the Forum from laptop about once a year so i live for an improved mobile version. Many thanks to Ran, again. 

On 11/11/2021 at 8:27 PM, felice said:

You can see the exact number if you move the mouse over it, if that helps.

I suppose. I just really dislike the k in general.

10 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I had that too in my studio flat, but honestly it was a place to dump stuff, I (or we, whenever that was a thing) always slept on the pull-put sofa. Oh temperature preferences…! I hated going to hotels and having the AC on all damn night. I can’t sleep well with AC on. And window vs AC was such a source of conflict. Not that I had any clue about conflict management in my early twenties. Oh well. Extra bedding is always a plus so I suppose it’s worth investing in it. Hope you find the way sleeping-over works for you best :cheers: 

Why would you sleep on the couch if you have the bed right there? I bought a bed exactly so I don't have to sleep on the couch.

I don't have the AC, so that isn't going to be a problem. :P I do like to sleep with the window open when it is warm (not in November).

Yup, I need some extra bedding, I need to figure out how to buy it and get it there (usually taking the public transport and all).

I used to start secondary school at 7:30 and we had thought even that was barbaric. 7:00 sounds terrible.

Mine started at 8.00 and I used to think it was normal. Then I learned that some schools start way earlier than that. Yes, 7.00 is the absolute weird extreme.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Why would you sleep on the couch if you have the bed right there? I bought a bed exactly so I don't have to sleep on the couch.

I don't have the AC, so that isn't going to be a problem. :P I do like to sleep with the window open when it is warm (not in November).

Yup, I need some extra bedding, I need to figure out how to buy it and get it there (usually taking the public transport and all).

It was very narrow and shitty and worked much better as a storage/sitting surface. The sofa was new and comfortable, pulled out into king size. :dunno: 

Order online? Or perhaps you can also borrow your family’s car? good luck either way! 

I had a little bit of excitement yesterday - i was going out with two of my sisters to a cafe in this sleepy seaside place I am visiting when we found ouselves in the middle of a tactical response group attempt to arrest some suspects - I say attempt, they succeeded in that they halted one of them by running them over. It was all very confusing especially since the officers were wearing khaki military style outfits and black balaclavas, which seem like army not police, but I googled the state police forces and found out that the top level of tactical response group have lately changed their uniform to khaki.

We had parked in a car park behind shops and I did notice a slightly suspicious group of youngish people around a car. It was a taxi and all the doors were sitting open but the people looked fairly relaxed and chatty. Then suddenly SUVs driven at speed came in both ends of the laneway to the car park. It was very confusing, two of them were swooping around in formation, they were not marked as police cars, there were men in khaki hanging out the windows, we were backing away afraid of being run over. Apparently they did get two people on the ground and arrested at the car, but two fled on foot right past us - not that we noticed as we were looking the other way!. We went to the cafe and found the drama had resolved around the corner on the main road. There were lots of black police SUVs as well as the coloured ones that had been racing around and were now pulled up in the centre of the road. The traffic was being redirected by these black cars, and there were also a couple of white vans with plainclothes police driving them, dressed to look like tradesmen. There were two ambulances already there and two female plains clothes detectives going over the ground for evidence and putting it in plastic bags. They took one person away in an ambulance pretty quickly but it apparently took some time to get the other out from under the car. Eventually he was sent off as well. All these vehicles must have been standing by really close to get there that quickly.

I looked up the police unit I think it was and as well as responding to terrorist incidents they assist with arresting dangerous suspects ie armed ones known to be dangerous. The other people in the cafe were arguing over whether they had seen an automatic pistol or a longer gun, so I guess the suspects running away were armed.

4 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

My pie broke. :crying: 

well was it delicious anyway?

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

I am sorry to hear that. And also curious about what that means exactly.

Gentleman and I experimented in the kitchen too. Our mini pizzas turned out delicious, didn't break, and have since already been eaten.

congratulations!

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I am sorry to hear that. And also curious about what that means exactly.

Well it literally broke. The edges broke and fell off . I suppose I should have cut it back way more than I did, it was too heavy

1 hour ago, Castellan said:

well was it delicious anyway?

. I haven’t cut it yet, but based on smell and color it should be. 

Gentleman and I experimented in the kitchen too. Our mini pizzas turned out delicious, didn't break, and have since already been eaten.

Huge congrats! Pizza dough isn’t easy. What toppings did you add?

9 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

. I haven’t cut it yet, but based on smell and color it should be.

That's good! The taste is the most important thing.

I baked a Christmas cake this weekend. Smells good, but I have to pour alcohol over it for a few weeks before we can start eating it.

Huge congrats! Pizza dough isn’t easy. What toppings did you add?

Well, that's the twist, we didn't use actual pizza dough, but ... uhhh leaf dough? The one that turns out all fluffy and crumbles a lot. It was a special kind of pizza-like treat.

33 minutes ago, felice said:

I baked a Christmas cake this weekend. Smells good, but I have to pour alcohol over it for a few weeks before we can start eating it.

What kind of cake is still going to be good after a few weeks, especially after being soaked all the time?

10 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

What kind of cake is still going to be good after a few weeks, especially after being soaked all the time?

Fruit cake - the alcohol acts as a preservative, and gives the flavour time to mature, apparently. It's more moistened than soaked. Closer to eating, it gets covered in two layers of icing.

https://apriljharris.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/British-Christmas-Cake.jpg

31 minutes ago, felice said:

Fruit cake - the alcohol acts as a preservative, and gives the flavour time to mature, apparently. It's more moistened than soaked. Closer to eating, it gets covered in two layers of icing.

https://apriljharris.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/British-Christmas-Cake.jpg

Who knew! And what happens to the dough? Does't it fall apart or something?

Too much grading to do. To much work overall. :ack:

Who knew! And what happens to the dough? Does't it fall apart or something?

Nope. It's more like teaspoons of liquor drizzled over the cake, not bottles poured over, and I think the fruit absorbs any excess? But I'm not an expert on the science of baking!

Too much grading to do. To much work overall. :ack:

Hopefully you'll get a decent break over the New Year period?

On 11/21/2021 at 9:51 AM, felice said:

That's good! The taste is the most important thing.

Oh that sounds heavenly :drool: I have only ever made fruit cake in a loaf pan without alcohol, which was consumed immediately. This year I want to try to make mince pies from scratch, though I don’t suppose the filling will have enough time to mature as it should. 

23 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Well, that's the twist, we didn't use actual pizza dough, but ... uhhh leaf dough? The one that turns out all fluffy and crumbles a lot. It was a special kind of pizza-like treat.

Puff pastry! But I love that you call it leaf(y) dough as well. That’s got to be some Eastern Europe thing :lol: I suppose the point is they turned out delicious, and it’s always nice to put one’s own spin on things.

Goodness I hate this job. I’m counting the days till I go on holiday like a child. Four weeks never felt so long. Dear me I appreciate my previous job so much in hindsight. Life’s ironic that way. 

14 hours ago, felice said:

Nope. It's more like teaspoons of liquor drizzled over the cake, not bottles poured over, and I think the fruit absorbs any excess? But I'm not an expert on the science of baking!

I see. This makes a lot more sense, I suppose.

14 hours ago, felice said:

Hopefully you'll get a decent break over the New Year period?

Ehhhh ... still a long way to go till there. There are a few classes that write their tests/essays the week before Christmas, so there will be stuff to grade then too.

Puff pastry! But I love that you call it leaf(y) dough as well. That’s got to be some Eastern Europe thing :lol: I suppose the point is they turned out delicious, and it’s always nice to put one’s own spin on things.

The German word Blätterteig is also basically leafy dough. And yup, they were good!

Goodness I hate this job. I’m counting the days till I go on holiday like a child. Four weeks never felt so long. Dear me I appreciate my previous job so much in hindsight. Life’s ironic that way. 

:(:grouphug: How long have you been at this job? Is there a chance it is going to get better once you get used to it more?