TTTNE - This Thread is finanly over. Slowest race ever nearly 3 years.

Pebble thats Stubby

On 4/30/2022 at 10:28 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

@Buckwheat @RhaenysBee long overdue but I agree with your assessments on Bridgerton. Apparently Kate is a fan favourite in the books (which I have not read) and I was watching just thinking how terrible she was. Edwina all the way for me.

I think both of the sisters had their own problems. But Bridgerton might just be the kind of show where it is best to not think about it too hard, too too hard, don't think about it too hard, too too hard. :P

How are you, H? Is everything okay with your work, family, puppy?

On 4/28/2022 at 5:56 PM, First of My Name said:

Yeah, philosophy! My thesis is about whether it'd be better if we were to choose our family members based on desired qualities, rather than automatically living with your biological family. It's based on the 'chosen family' concept which appears in many queer communities. I should be done in about six weeks!

Wow that sounds really interesting! I’m sure you’ll kill it! Good luck with finishing up! 

long overdue but I agree with your assessments on Bridgerton. Apparently Kate is a fan favourite in the books (which I have not read) and I was watching just thinking how terrible she was. Edwina all the way for me.

Rhaenys, the final season of Killing Eve....I...no words.

:cheers: Team Edwina all the way. Kate is awful. 

Ooooooooh, you just reminded me to start it! I’ve been putting off the last seasons of both Killing Eve and the Last kingdom because I’m worried they are bad. But now I’m dragging myself onto the hype train. First 10 minutes are…interesting. Well we’ll see where it goes. 

On 4/28/2022 at 2:53 PM, Buckwheat said:

Weather is still weird.

But I have a few days off! :commie: I mean, nominally. Practically I still do some work, but there is less stress.

Uhhhh, ant infestations are terrible. I very much sympathise. I have some ants in my flat too. At some point, I suppose I accepted them as roommates? :dunno:

yay for a few days off! :commie: 

yeah, they seem to have crept back while I was on weekend trip. No idea where they are coming from. 

Hi! Glad to hear things are going well. Your thesis sounds very interesting, obviously very relevant to queer communities but equally applicable to all kinds of atypical/chosen family setups. Kind of silly but I once listened to a podcast discuss the film/book Matilda from a similar perspective of Matilda as a queer child, discovering their 'powers' (querness), being rejected and misunderstood by her birth family and eventually discovering her chosen family through school and Miss Honey.

Anyway, rambling, good luck with the thesis! Hopefully not too stressful, I know mine drove me to the brink when I was doing it but I had a lot going on back then.

Fingers crossed on your creative writing too.

Helena! Good to see you're still around here too. And I'd never thought about Matilda that way, but yeah, that 's definitely applicable. I feel like a lot of the stories I enjoyed as a kid are about the hero finding their own kind of family, maybe that's why I like the subject so much.

I actually don't really mind doing my thesis, it's been super beneficial for my productivity to just have one bigger task to focus on instead of having the juggle a bunch of courses that all come with their own deadlines.

22 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Wow that sounds really interesting! I’m sure you’ll kill it! Good luck with finishing up! 

Thanks! :) 

fungus gnats returned in my epipremnum and phlebodium. previous post may be hexed. hopefully my garlic-smelling capsules will help me combat this evil that has invaded my home once again.  

13 hours ago, First of My Name said:

actually don't really mind doing my thesis, it's been super beneficial for my productivity to just have one bigger task to focus on instead of having the juggle a bunch of courses that all come with their own deadlines.

Oh… I don’t remember the last time I had one big task to focus on. Oh the joy of not splitting your brain in 10 parts every minute of every day :crying: enjoy your thesis! :crying: :lol: no really, enjoy it, it’s so nice to immerse oneself in a topic to the depth and standard that one chooses. 

And if you finish it, do still have some course or exam left in your program? Oh, and do you plan to do a post grad? 

9 hours ago, Crown said:

fungus gnats returned in my epipremnum and phlebodium. previous post may be hexed. hopefully my garlic-smelling capsules will help me combat this evil that has invaded my home once again.  

Oh I’m sorry. I think. I don’t understand the first sentence but based on the rest, I’m sorry about the problem and I hope you can tackle it easily. 

On 5/4/2022 at 9:52 AM, RhaenysBee said:

Oh… I don’t remember the last time I had one big task to focus on. Oh the joy of not splitting your brain in 10 parts every minute of every day :crying: enjoy your thesis! :crying: :lol: no really, enjoy it, it’s so nice to immerse oneself in a topic to the depth and standard that one chooses. 

And if you finish it, do still have some course or exam left in your program? Oh, and do you plan to do a post grad? 

Yeah exactly. I'll enjoy it while it lasts :P
Nope, this is the very final bit, which scares me to death as I don't have any plan beyond (maybe) hopefully doing the minor, and the chances of that are pretty low. I might do a post grad, but if I do I want it to be in another subject entirely.

Rhaenys, the final season of Killing Eve....I...no words.

I am so bewildered…. Just so absolutely bewildered and confused. And the ending is still so far away. 

finished it. Absolutely there on worst final seasons top list. In a lot of ways it was worse than the last season of GoT. That one only felt more of a betrayal because it was far longer running and more sensational than Killing Eve. Well… what a waste of money to produce this… sequence of scenes. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

On 5/5/2022 at 5:50 PM, First of My Name said:

Yeah exactly. I'll enjoy it while it lasts :P
Nope, this is the very final bit, which scares me to death as I don't have any plan beyond (maybe) hopefully doing the minor, and the chances of that are pretty low. I might do a post grad, but if I do I want it to be in another subject entirely.

Yeah, I remember that feeling. But I’m sure something cool will come along, just make sure to seize the opportunity when it does. What would the minor be? Or the entirely different subject for a post-grad? 
I’ve been toying with the idea of another degree as well. Probably another Bsc or BA, rather than another MSc as that’s a bit narrower range of choice with my existing degree. And much like you, I’d want something totally different too. 

On 5/7/2022 at 3:11 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Yeah, I remember that feeling. But I’m sure something cool will come along, just make sure to seize the opportunity when it does. What would the minor be? Or the entirely different subject for a post-grad? 
I’ve been toying with the idea of another degree as well. Probably another Bsc or BA, rather than another MSc as that’s a bit narrower range of choice with my existing degree. And much like you, I’d want something totally different too. 

I'm hoping to finally take courses in creative writing. If that doesn't work out, I wanna do something else that's creative rather than academic, cause I've had my fill of that :P So yeah, same, I'd love to do another BA, there's so many interesting fields that I'd love to dip my toes in.

How are you all? 
After 3 weeks of spring, we now have scorching summer to the point that I have to systematically open windows at 10pm and 6am to maintain a reasonable inside temperature. Once again, I’m a month late to have the AC fixed. I also still have ants. And some sort of unidentified allergy. And I screwed up everything I tried to bake or cook in the past 4 days. Is Friday 13th now a long weekend? :leaving: 

Did I say that I was fined for forgetting to validate my tram ticket on Friday? Anyway, today went on to be a hot mess, literally because it’s 30C in the city. But at least I have a bag of anti-ant chemicals. I did try to get rid of them the natural way but there’s only more of them in more places than two weeks ago, so I feel validated to play dirty. For the rest of the weekend, I’m going to watch tv and iron/steam laundry. Oh, I bought a hand steamer and it was even 20% off. That obviously happened in the lucky half of the week. 

5 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Did I say that I was fined for forgetting to validate my tram ticket on Friday? Anyway, today went on to be a hot mess, literally because it’s 30C in the city. But at least I have a bag of anti-ant chemicals. I did try to get rid of them the natural way but there’s only more of them in more places than two weeks ago, so I feel validated to play dirty. For the rest of the weekend, I’m going to watch tv and iron/steam laundry. Oh, I bought a hand steamer and it was even 20% off. That obviously happened in the lucky half of the week. 

Uhhh, how much did you have to pay?

Good luck with your ant problem. I very much sympathise. :( 

5 hours ago, Adz of CCAA said:

Hi.

Long time no read. Or something. :ninja:

Hello!

It is getting very summery here too. I wanted to shave my legs today, but am too lazy for it, so ... long jeans and feeling hot tomorrow it is. My workplace is odd in that some rooms are way warmer than the others. Some classrooms are hot already, and our office is the coldest place in the building, so it is not that bad there even in the summer. But kids who are unlucky in that they have classrooms on the hotter side of the school are going to suffer for a few weeks still. Only six weeks until the summer holidays! I cannot believe I have been a class teacher for almost a year now, and "my" class is going to finish their first year already!

14 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Uhhh, how much did you have to pay?

Good luck with your ant problem. I very much sympathise. :( 

Not a lot, but still annoying. At the current ridiculous exchange rate around €20.

14 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

It is getting very summery here too. I wanted to shave my legs today, but am too lazy for it, so ... long jeans and feeling hot tomorrow it is. My workplace is odd in that some rooms are way warmer than the others. Some classrooms are hot already, and our office is the coldest place in the building, so it is not that bad there even in the summer. But kids who are unlucky in that they have classrooms on the hotter side of the school are going to suffer for a few weeks still. Only six weeks until the summer holidays! I cannot believe I have been a class teacher for almost a year now, and "my" class is going to finish their first year already!

I noticed that my legs are ghost white so I will have to get a bit of tan going this weekend. Nice that at least some part of your building stays cool. I’m on the 7th floor of a full glass office and it’s pretty much a greenhouse for half the day. The worse part is the artificial ventilation though. 

Class teacher, wow! I didn’t know you had your “own” class. That’s really cool! Are you enjoying it? I suppose it’ll be quite the accomplishment when they graduate in the next couple years. 

7 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I noticed that my legs are ghost white so I will have to get a bit of tan going this weekend. Nice that at least some part of your building stays cool. I’m on the 7th floor of a full glass office and it’s pretty much a greenhouse for half the day. The worse part is the artificial ventilation though. 

Class teacher, wow! I didn’t know you had your “own” class. That’s really cool! Are you enjoying it? I suppose it’ll be quite the accomplishment when they graduate in the next couple years. 

Today was really hot in the school already. Luckily, the rain is pouring right now, which is bringing some refreshment for at least a few days.

7th floor of a greenhouse in the middle of a city doesn't sound fun at all. My work building is an old (beginning of the 20th century), but nicely renovated building with really thick walls, but apparently shit insulation. My flat is on the 5th floor in a 1970s building. It is almost impossible to air out my flat, which only has one window.

Yup, I've been a class teacher since September. It is a lot of extra work. And you get really attached to "your" kids quite soon. And they to you, too. They have so many questions that even I don't know an answer to sometimes. I suppose I enjoy it some, I think I am really lucky with the class I was assigned and I like the kids (most of the time at least :P ). But it is extra work with parent-teacher conferences, added paperwork, discipline and specific issues that need to be talked through. At least I haven't had any actual big problems with either the children or the parents ... until now. *knocks wood* I hope the moment that happens is still a long time away. :P 

On 5/16/2022 at 7:47 PM, Buckwheat said:

Today was really hot in the school already. Luckily, the rain is pouring right now, which is bringing some refreshment for at least a few days.

7th floor of a greenhouse in the middle of a city doesn't sound fun at all. My work building is an old (beginning of the 20th century), but nicely renovated building with really thick walls, but apparently shit insulation. My flat is on the 5th floor in a 1970s building. It is almost impossible to air out my flat, which only has one window.

Yup, I've been a class teacher since September. It is a lot of extra work. And you get really attached to "your" kids quite soon. And they to you, too. They have so many questions that even I don't know an answer to sometimes. I suppose I enjoy it some, I think I am really lucky with the class I was assigned and I like the kids (most of the time at least :P ). But it is extra work with parent-teacher conferences, added paperwork, discipline and specific issues that need to be talked through. At least I haven't had any actual big problems with either the children or the parents ... until now. *knocks wood* I hope the moment that happens is still a long time away. :P 

O I could do with some rain. The air is sooooo dry and dusty, it’s killing me. Well, I also need an allergy test, but it’d be very nice have the relief of some rain.

Ah yeah, I have similar experience with my buildings. Previous flat was in a 1910s building with thick brick walls but drafty windows. It heated up in a minute but cooled down just as quickly at night. 

Aw that sounds sweet. Being attached to your kids and caring about them so much. I’m sure they appreciate that a lot! And parents… I have a feeling they can be more trouble than the kids themselves so good luck and fingers crossed no serious problems come your way for some time! :D 

On 5/18/2022 at 9:38 PM, Buckwheat said:

Speaking of being a class teacher ... on the photo of my class, I look like one of the teenagers. Not sure if this is a good or a bad thing. :wacko: 

100% good thing :commie: 

Had a nice much needed country weekend. Too short as always, but what are you gonna do? I’ll try to squeeze in as many rural weekends into this summer as possible, because I can already tell it’ll be unbearable in the city. 

On 5/22/2022 at 3:18 PM, RhaenysBee said:

O I could do with some rain. The air is sooooo dry and dusty, it’s killing me. Well, I also need an allergy test, but it’d be very nice have the relief of some rain.

Hot and sunny here! There were just a few drops of rain in the afternoon, but it didn't really bring any refreshment.

I need to buy some dresses that are appropriate for work, but in which I won't feel too hot.

On 5/22/2022 at 3:18 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Aw that sounds sweet. Being attached to your kids and caring about them so much. I’m sure they appreciate that a lot! And parents… I have a feeling they can be more trouble than the kids themselves so good luck and fingers crossed no serious problems come your way for some time! :D 

Yup, sometimes the parents are a problem ... luckily, the parents of my class haven't made any particular problems. Yet.

Just a few more weeks of the school year - I am sure the teachers are counting down the days as well as the students now. :P 

On 5/25/2022 at 7:55 PM, Buckwheat said:

Yup, sometimes the parents are a problem ... luckily, the parents of my class haven't made any particular problems. Yet.

Just a few more weeks of the school year - I am sure the teachers are counting down the days as well as the students now. :P 

When does your school year end? 

also, did you have a mini November over the weekend too? We had 3 days of 15C and it was kinda weird squeezed between 28-30C weeks. 

I officially have a staycation booked for summer! :commie:

what else happened? I skipped my 10-year school reunion. No regrets though it was admittedly skipped for the wrong reasons. I’ll go next time. Maybe…

There’s also an upcoming two-day team building which has been giving me anxiety for weeks. Not one cell in my body is looking forward to spending 48 hours with my colleagues and sleep in a vacation house with them. 

To counterbalance this level of antisocial introversion, I had a nice chatty lunch with some girl friends over the weekend, which was amazing and we are fixing a uni friend group reunion for the summer as well. Quite hyped about that one because I haven’t seen half these friends since before covid.