TTTNE - This Thread is finanly over. Slowest race ever nearly 3 years.

Pebble thats Stubby

38 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Hello! I don't know what is going on in Chicago and when, but I wish you a good time there.

WorldCon! 1-5 September. I'm a supporting member to vote in the Hugo Awards, which tends to be an excellent way to pick stuff to read.

21 hours ago, felice said:

WorldCon! 1-5 September. I'm a supporting member to vote in the Hugo Awards, which tends to be an excellent way to pick stuff to read.

I thought it would be something like that.

Picking stuff to read ... is that a problem? The problem in my life is ... too much to read, too little time! :read: 

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Picking stuff to read ... is that a problem? The problem in my life is ... too much to read, too little time! :read: 

Well no, not as such, my to-read pile is certainly an increasingly large problem! B) But I seldom regret reading as much of the work shortlisted for the Hugos as I can manage.

On 8/22/2022 at 6:59 PM, Buckwheat said:

I thought it would be something like that.

Well how do you pick from the pile? :ninja: 

I got some lovely reading done during my little vacations throughout the summer. And it’ll be easy to keep it up because books don’t run on electricity and internet so they will be all we can afford in terms of entertainment *laughs and cries in Eastern European despair*

how are you all? Beside the impeding doom. Any nice end of summer experiences or plans for September? 

On 8/30/2022 at 12:43 PM, RhaenysBee said:

I got some lovely reading done during my little vacations throughout the summer. And it’ll be easy to keep it up because books don’t run on electricity and internet so they will be all we can afford in terms of entertainment *laughs and cries in Eastern European despair*

We already got warned at our job that this winter, we are going to limit the heating, it will be strict with turning the lights off and other energy-saving measures ... :unsure:

On 8/30/2022 at 12:43 PM, RhaenysBee said:

how are you all? Beside the impeding doom. Any nice end of summer experiences or plans for September? 

Our school year just started today, as in, the students came back! It was a chaotic and exhausting day, but also it made me happy. I actually missed my noisy, provocative, moody, typically teenagerish band of 16-year-olds.

Obviously I got the most enthusiastic, happiest and warmest greetings from the ones I don't teach anymore this year. :lol:

30 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

We already got warned at our job that this winter, we are going to limit the heating, it will be strict with turning the lights off and other energy-saving measures ... :unsure:

my sweet summer child of the euro zone. We are expecting schools to close for the heating season and go fully online covid style because the institutions can’t afford overheads during the winter months * :lol: :crying: In Eastern European despair* 

seriously though I’m sorry, these measure are annoying and sitting in class in winter coats is so. Hope the kids will take it well. 

35 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Our school year just started today, as in, the students came back! It was a chaotic and exhausting day, but also it made me happy. I actually missed my noisy, provocative, moody, typically teenagerish band of 16-year-olds.

Obviously I got the most enthusiastic, happiest and warmest greetings from the ones I don't teach anymore this year. :lol:

Yay for that! It’s so nice of them, sure sign that you are a well liked and appreciated teacher! Congrats for that! And it’s really sweet that you missed your class. Have they grown/changed over the summer? 

We had a dreary first day of September and I feel sorry for the kiddos that they had to start school in pouring rain. But I’m sure friends and shine new school supplies made up for it, I do have fond memories of prepping for the school year. 

On 9/1/2022 at 8:31 PM, RhaenysBee said:

my sweet summer child of the euro zone. We are expecting schools to close for the heating season and go fully online covid style because the institutions can’t afford overheads during the winter months * :lol: :crying: In Eastern European despair*

Oh, that is horrible! Being in school, just with coats on, doesn't sound that bad compared to this ... :( I hope it won't come to that for schools in your country.

On 9/1/2022 at 8:31 PM, RhaenysBee said:

Yay for that! It’s so nice of them, sure sign that you are a well liked and appreciated teacher! Congrats for that! And it’s really sweet that you missed your class. Have they grown/changed over the summer?

I meant that the happiest are the ones I don't teach anymore, so that means they got rid of me. :lol: But still, it is nice to see all of them.

Some new hair colours, a few might have grown a bit ... and some 16 or 17 year old boys got like three flimsy hairs under their noses and are now sooooooooo proud of their "mustache". :P Because they are soooooo adult, you see.

The next three days, I have to be at the workplace before 7 ... and on Tuesday, there is the parent-teacher conference in the afternoon, which means I have to stay until late afternoon. Not too thrilled about that.

How is your work, RB?

10 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I meant that the happiest are the ones I don't teach anymore, so that means they got rid of me. :lol: But still, it is nice to see all of them.

Some new hair colours, a few might have grown a bit ... and some 16 or 17 year old boys got like three flimsy hairs under their noses and are now sooooooooo proud of their "mustache". :P Because they are soooooo adult, you see.

The next three days, I have to be at the workplace before 7 ... and on Tuesday, there is the parent-teacher conference in the afternoon, which means I have to stay until late afternoon. Not too thrilled about that.

How is your work, RB?

I doubt that’s the reason :lol: 

Well 16-17 is still the awkward in-between phase. I guess it’s kinda sweet how desperately they want to appear and be adults at that age. If only they knew what they wish for…! :D 

ah I’m sorry. I have extra long days as well, September is always brutal. And soooo much non-work related baggage. I’ve only been back one week from vacation and I’m already exhausted. 

I ended up going home between classes and the parent-teacher conference, as I had a few hours. It worked out.

I am sorry to hear your work is brutal. I hope it improves.

The mornings are cold already, but the afternoons, when I return home, are still hot. I never know what to wear. I put on jeans in the morning, and in the afternoon, I wish I had just a skirt. Hmmmm, maybe skirt with tights underneath is the answer. I can take these off and go home without being too hot in the afternoon in just the skirt. :idea:

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 8:44 PM, Buckwheat said:

I ended up going home between classes and the parent-teacher conference, as I had a few hours. It worked out.

I am sorry to hear your work is brutal. I hope it improves.

The mornings are cold already, but the afternoons, when I return home, are still hot. I never know what to wear. I put on jeans in the morning, and in the afternoon, I wish I had just a skirt. Hmmmm, maybe skirt with tights underneath is the answer. I can take these off and go home without being too hot in the afternoon in just the skirt. :idea:

I can’t say it has improved. But at least my job seems to want to make it better for me so there’s that. Even as a gesture it was nice, especially if it manifests into something. 

that sounds like the life hack for this season. Though here it’s kinda past the hot afternoon phase now. We have steadily crawled into the jacket season this week. 

17 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

... anybody home?

Aaaaanyway, school is still going on as usual. There are already covid cases going around. Way too many covid cases overall.

Just one day till the weekend! I am looking forward to it.

Yes, still here :lol: 

quite a bit of covid around here as well but it’s mostly treated and viewed as common flu and nobody gives a damn… which feels a bit weird to me still but I suppose it’s the natural course of things.

yay for the weekend. I’m taking most of today for chores and errands anyway. And if I didn’t catch covid at a work event yesterday, I’ll go dog-sitting for a couple days on Saturday. 

On 9/16/2022 at 11:42 AM, RhaenysBee said:

I can’t say it has improved. But at least my job seems to want to make it better for me so there’s that. Even as a gesture it was nice, especially if it manifests into something.

Well ... at least there's that indeed. I really hope your situation improves in some way.

that sounds like the life hack for this season. Though here it’s kinda past the hot afternoon phase now. We have steadily crawled into the jacket season this week.

It got really cold in the past few days here too. There was flooding in some parts of the country between Thursday and Saturday, luckily the rain has stopped now. But yes, it doesn't seem the hot afternoons are returning. Winter is coming and all that.

quite a bit of covid around here as well but it’s mostly treated and viewed as common flu and nobody gives a damn… which feels a bit weird to me still but I suppose it’s the natural course of things.

yay for the weekend. I’m taking most of today for chores and errands anyway. And if I didn’t catch covid at a work event yesterday, I’ll go dog-sitting for a couple days on Saturday. 

I tested myself and wore a mask here and there last week already. There were already some cases at my workplace.

I have to start very early tomorrow. My schedules this year are really weird, I often get a small number of hours on Monday and then the whole day full on Friday, which is ... less than ideal. But I suppose I will handle it, as I really have no other choice. I will complain about it a lot, though.

Did you manage to go dog-sitting then?

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

t got really cold in the past few days here too. There was flooding in some parts of the country between Thursday and Saturday, luckily the rain has stopped now. But yes, it doesn't seem the hot afternoons are returning. Winter is coming and all that.

I actually put on the AC in heating mode while I took a shower  :uhoh: Just so I don’t freeze in pjs. Winter is coming indeed. 

tested myself and wore a mask here and there last week already. There were already some cases at my workplace.

Hope you manage to avoid it. Here people kinda just treat it like common flu at this point, at least my office even took down the hand sanitizer in the elevator landings… :rolleyes: I’ve been wearing a mask on public transport for a couple weeks as well, not sure how much it does for me, but it’s no discomfort at all, so why not. 

have to start very early tomorrow. My schedules this year are really weird, I often get a small number of hours on Monday and then the whole day full on Friday, which is ... less than ideal. But I suppose I will handle it, as I really have no other choice. I will complain about it a lot, though.

Did you manage to go dog-sitting then?

That’s nice though, that you have an easy start of the week. Even if it’s not ideal that Fridays are jampacked. Which is a most valid thing to complain about :D

I did indeed, I’m staying till Tuesday evening. It’s not the same without Prince William, but I do love the other doggos too. We had big walkies today with everyone. Chubbs is sleeping in the house with me now. And I had to give extra blankets to the Chancellor because well 10C at night. 

How was your weekend? 

Edited by RhaenysBee

1 minute ago, RhaenysBee said:

I actually put on the AC in heating mode while I took a shower  :uhoh: Just so I don’t freeze in pjs. Winter is coming indeed.

I don't have the luxury of having an AC. I have to wait for the whole building to start heating.

The price of the utilities has gone up ridiculously even without the heating. The winter is going to be very expensive. :crying:

I am still wearing my summer pyjamas because I prefer them, but I will have to switch to warmer ones soon too.

Hope you manage to avoid it. Here people kinda just treat it like common flu at this point, at least my office even took down the hand sanitizer in the elevator landings… :rolleyes: I’ve been wearing a mask on public transport for a couple weeks as well, not sure how much it does for me, but it’s no discomfort at all, so why not.

People seem to treat it that way here too.

That’s nice though, that you have an easy start of the week. Even if it’s not ideal that Fridays are jampacked. Which is a most valid thing to complain about :D

I rather have a packed Monday and/or Tuesday and then I can say I already have mose of the week done with. :D 

I did indeed, I’m staying till Tuesday evening. It’s not the same without Prince William, but I do love the other doggos too. We had big walkies today with everyone. Chubbs is sleeping in the house with me now. And I had to give extra blankets to the Chancellor because well 10C at night. 

How was your weekend? 

I spent most of it with the gentleman (inside, because it was raining a lot), but I also visited a friend for a short while. The most interesting part of the weekend was going to the cinema. We saw Elvis. It is a good film, I can recommend it.

11 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

don't have the luxury of having an AC. I have to wait for the whole building to start heating.

The price of the utilities has gone up ridiculously even without the heating. The winter is going to be very expensive. :crying:

I am still wearing my summer pyjamas because I prefer them, but I will have to switch to warmer ones soon too.

Yeah, we have that in a lot of city buildings as well, but it also doesn’t get that cold in the city. Here there’s shit insulation, few buildings and not sharing walls with neighbors and it’s really cold. 

oh yeah, there’s a whole lot of concern and even more fear-mongering about energy supplies and prices for the winter. 

Same. The transition was a bit too short and I didn’t anticipate needing a blanket just two weeks after still wearing summer dresses, but I’m trying to rewire my brain and be excited about thick fluffy winterwear. 

rather have a packed Monday and/or Tuesday and then I can say I already have mose of the week done with. :D 

Well, yeah, I can understand that. Does the schedule change at half term or is this till June? 

spent most of it with the gentleman (inside, because it was raining a lot), but I also visited a friend for a short while. The most interesting part of the weekend was going to the cinema. We saw Elvis. It is a good film, I can recommend it.

that sounds fun, even with the rain. I heard only good things about Elvis, might check it out. 

7 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yeah, we have that in a lot of city buildings as well, but it also doesn’t get that cold in the city. Here there’s shit insulation, few buildings and not sharing walls with neighbors and it’s really cold.

oh yeah, there’s a whole lot of concern and even more fear-mongering about energy supplies and prices for the winter.

Indeed. The public buildings - including my workplace - received instructions to find ways to save energy in the coming winter.

Same. The transition was a bit too short and I didn’t anticipate needing a blanket just two weeks after still wearing summer dresses, but I’m trying to rewire my brain and be excited about thick fluffy winterwear.

I do like winter, but thick and clumsy winterwear is not my thing. And yes, the transition from full summer to what we have now was so sudden. Now I am here in my flat in a thick hoodie and my legs covered with a blanket.

Well, yeah, I can understand that. Does the schedule change at half term or is this till June?

This school has the strangest system in that we have four different schedules (A, B, C, D) and they alternate weekly. So we basically get the same schedule once per month until the end of the school year (June). Schedule A is tolerable, I suppose. Schedules B and C are terrible. And I don't have the schedule D yet.

that sounds fun, even with the rain. I heard only good things about Elvis, might check it out. 

Tell me if you end up liking it. :)

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

do like winter, but thick and clumsy winterwear is not my thing. And yes, the transition from full summer to what we have now was so sudden. Now I am here in my flat in a thick hoodie and my legs covered with a blanket.

Oh I love me a thick, blanket-sized cardigan and all the soft and fluffy winter accessories. Also coats. Some people love handbags or shoes, I love coats. And I even love the fresh, crispy air - outdoors, not in a room sitting in front of my laptop in three layers and a blanket. I had two pairs of socks on too. 

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

This school has the strangest system in that we have four different schedules (A, B, C, D) and they alternate weekly. So we basically get the same schedule once per month until the end of the school year (June). Schedule A is tolerable, I suppose. Schedules B and C are terrible. And I don't have the schedule D yet.

:eek: that sounds like a nightmare to keep track of! when I used to be at school the most complicated schedule we had was weeks A and B. So how is this working for you? Like how long does it take to get used to? Is it more difficult to schedule other plans around work this way? Do you prefer the four versions to only one (potentially shitty) schedule? Sorry, I’m genuinely curious, never heard of such a complicated system before! 

Tell me if you end up liking it. :)

Will do :thumbsup:  

Hey all!  Just thought I'd do a drive-by of the old neighborhood.

Texas was brutal this summer and I've spent very little time outdoors, which makes me sad.  My back yard has turned into a jungle in desperate need of help.

Work is beyond boring, with little to do, but should pick up in a couple of months. In fact, it might go from 0-60 overnight.

Still have issues finding a good doctor. *sigh*

Alex moved down here with me in March, and he's been nothing but a bum ever since. I've had to be mean mom and tell him he has to get a job or move in with his father (not an option either of them want)

The only thing I really like about Texas is spending time with my family.  The grandkids usually come over twice a month, and seeing my daughter nearly every week. Only see the older son every couple of months because he's a long haul trucker, but I love when he's here.

On 9/21/2022 at 4:44 AM, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

Hey all!  Just thought I'd do a drive-by of the old neighborhood.

Texas was brutal this summer and I've spent very little time outdoors, which makes me sad.  My back yard has turned into a jungle in desperate need of help.

Work is beyond boring, with little to do, but should pick up in a couple of months. In fact, it might go from 0-60 overnight.

Still have issues finding a good doctor. *sigh*

Alex moved down here with me in March, and he's been nothing but a bum ever since. I've had to be mean mom and tell him he has to get a job or move in with his father (not an option either of them want)

The only thing I really like about Texas is spending time with my family.  The grandkids usually come over twice a month, and seeing my daughter nearly every week. Only see the older son every couple of months because he's a long haul trucker, but I love when he's here.

Hi!!!!!! So nice to see you around :grouphug: and lovely to read your news!

I do feel like I’m missing a link or two, did you move to Texas recently? To be closer to family or some other reason? Anyway, I’m glad that the grandkids and your daughter make up for not loving the place itself. 

And Alex is… is he at college in Texas?That’s a vague memory I have from a previous update of yours but I might be wrong or he might have graduated already and hence the move down. 

I feel you about the workload imbalance. Tends to be the same in my field as well, there’s barely anything to fill day in summer and in January-February, while spring and autumn is a madhouse. 

Any special plans in the upcoming months? I don’t know how old the grandkids are, do they still do Halloween?