TTTNE - This Thread is finanly over. Slowest race ever nearly 3 years.

Pebble thats Stubby

7 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

A minimalist witch then, quite contemporary! :D 

If you want to name it so. :lol: 

Nah, they keep you for 48 hours after surgery. Then I had a 10 day hiatus and I’ve been back to work since Monday. I get awfully tired by the end of the day still, but it’s a process I supposed.

That must be very tiring. Pamper yourself when you can. :grouphug: Good luck. Make sure you attend all the follow-up appointments and everything.

That sounds super proactive and committed. That school is lucky to have you.

I wouldn't say that. :lol: 

We never get snow but it was nasty over the weekend. Milder and sunnier again by now. 

oh my, whatever did those kids do? :eek: Kudos to you for handling them! I’m terrified of teenagers. 

Almost all the snow is gone here now too. It is cold, foggy, wet though.

Some of them, they are just being teenagers and do mildly stupid stuff. Some of them, they do worse things. There is nothing to be terrified of though. I am learning to handle them still, but you gain experience pretty quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

Well this was unwise. 

Lesson learned - you can’t organize and attend a full scale event 5 weeks post surgery. don’t even try. Don’t even think you can just be there as backup and hangout, there’s no such thing as backup. As I definitely missed the step of communicating that I cannot and will not be in charge of this. That was irresponsible and stupid. I vastly overestimated my physical capabilities and vastly underestimated the workload and my ability to set and respect my own boundaries.

I will try to pull myself together by tomorrow morning just enough that I’m able to travel home ahead of time and not stay for the second day of the event. 

this is all super embarrassing and unprofessional and irresponsible. but at least I had it in me to recognize the last possible moment of stepping back and retreating to my room instead of passing out in front of the event guests and having to get an ambulance. 

There are those situations in life when sheer willpower just isn’t enough to overcome physical boundaries. And no matter how much you enjoy something or want to something, it can still hurt you and you need to learn to recognize that just because you want something and just because it would make you feel good,  it doesn’t mean you should do it. Well, I’m sure most functioning adults know this already.

But I will stop beating myself up over this and try to frame it as a life lesson learned the hard way. 

@RhaenysBee

This sounds scary. Are you feeling okay now, do you have somebody to take care of you in case you feel worse again? :grouphug: 

I am sure your coworkers will be able to handle whatever highly important event this was and you will be able to take a day off to get better.

I am, since last week, stuck grading essays and tests. I am about halfway through (but I will get a new load of essays to grade on Friday, so yay).

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

@RhaenysBee

This sounds scary. Are you feeling okay now, do you have somebody to take care of you in case you feel worse again? :grouphug: 

I am sure your coworkers will be able to handle whatever highly important event this was and you will be able to take a day off to get better.

I am, since last week, stuck grading essays and tests. I am about halfway through (but I will get a new load of essays to grade on Friday, so yay).

It was a bit earlier today when I went up to my room. But mostly it’s just horrid embarrassing and humiliating and disappointing and heartbreaking. 

of course they will, but I have an emotional connection to this event. It was an honor and opportunity that I was given this responsibility and well… this is how it turned out. Everybody was super nice and super worried about me, but it still feels like shit to have to drop out on this. And I’m going home now because they ordered me a taxi. 

good luck with the grading! :cheers: 

21 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

It was a bit earlier today when I went up to my room. But mostly it’s just horrid embarrassing and humiliating and disappointing and heartbreaking. 

of course they will, but I have an emotional connection to this event. It was an honor and opportunity that I was given this responsibility and well… this is how it turned out. Everybody was super nice and super worried about me, but it still feels like shit to have to drop out on this. And I’m going home now because they ordered me a taxi. 

good luck with the grading! :cheers: 

I am sure everybody understands that you cannot work 100 % just after your surgery. Take care of yourself. Are you feeling any better today? :grouphug: 

Thank you. It is ... a lot. :read: 

59 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I am sure everybody understands that you cannot work 100 % just after your surgery. Take care of yourself. Are you feeling any better today? :grouphug: 

Thank you. It is ... a lot. :read: 

Yes sure they do, I just wish they didn’t have to. But it’s more to do with me and my emotions. To me this event became way more than a job, and even more than the opportunity and recognition it means in the work place setting. It was my ultimate escape back to a happier more fulfilled version of myself, which blew up in my face. I expected social belonging, camaraderie, peer bonding, a sense of accomplishment and pride, freedom from all the baggage of my illness, creating healthy space for myself and my adult life away from my family, and just being part of something fun and joyful. Well… I grieved it today and learned the lessons. I will give myself another day to be down and then I will just have to get back up - emotionally. I intend to respect my physical boundaries from now on. That was a loooooong ass answer to a simple question sorry. Yes, physically I’m a bit better. 

how is spring coming along for you? We are having some pretty, sunny and warm weather around here. 

59 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yes sure they do, I just wish they didn’t have to. But it’s more to do with me and my emotions. To me this event became way more than a job, and even more than the opportunity and recognition it means in the work place setting. It was my ultimate escape back to a happier more fulfilled version of myself, which blew up in my face. I expected social belonging, camaraderie, peer bonding, a sense of accomplishment and pride, freedom from all the baggage of my illness, creating healthy space for myself and my adult life away from my family, and just being part of something fun and joyful. Well… I grieved it today and learned the lessons. I will give myself another day to be down and then I will just have to get back up - emotionally. I intend to respect my physical boundaries from now on. That was a loooooong ass answer to a simple question sorry. Yes, physically I’m a bit better. 

how is spring coming along for you? We are having some pretty, sunny and warm weather around here. 

Don't beat yourself up is all I can say. :thumbsup: 

It is very spring-like here too. Enough that my students convinced me today to have class outside ... that didn't end too well. :lol: 

28 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Don't beat yourself up is all I can say. :thumbsup: 

It is very spring-like here too. Enough that my students convinced me today to have class outside ... that didn't end too well. :lol: 

They still appreciate you for complying, i bet. I used to love outdoor classes. Aw so much fun

On 3/21/2023 at 10:05 PM, RhaenysBee said:

They still appreciate you for complying, i bet. I used to love outdoor classes. Aw so much fun

I am sure they appreciated it a lot. :lol: Then I "tortured" them in early morning classes both on Wednesday and Thursday, which I am less sure they appreciated.

Still have a pile of essays to grade and I've had them up to ... *shows somewhere high* ... here. Grading essays is the worst.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

So sad. :crying:

How is your health?

No significant news. Still waiting for results to start treatment. To pass time I’m getting my eggs frozen for a future fertility safety net. Not that the world needs my genes or any poor soul my parenting. But you know, never say never.

13 hours ago, felice said:

Slowest race ever...

Right ...

Hello, felice! What are you up to recently?

12 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

No significant news. Still waiting for results to start treatment. To pass time I’m getting my eggs frozen for a future fertility safety net. Not that the world needs my genes or any poor soul my parenting. But you know, never say never.

I keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck with the fertility back up to. :thumbsup:

School is busy as always, students are somewhere between totally endearing and terribly annoying as always. :read: I am also planning my summer already - I need to spend some of it writing my dissertation at least.

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

School is busy as always, students are somewhere between totally endearing and terribly annoying as always. :read: I am also planning my summer already - I need to spend some of it writing my dissertation at least.

Yaaaaay, what are your plans? Any cool trips, travel destinations on the table?

I really really really want to plan some staycations at least, perhaps a Vienna day trip or something similarly close. Not sure anything farther will happen, but I’m a spring/autumn traveler anyway. And if things go well I might make it to the UK for an early autumn vacation. But that’s more of a wish than anything else at this point and I’ll be okay if it doesn’t happen. 

5 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yaaaaay, what are your plans? Any cool trips, travel destinations on the table?

I really really really want to plan some staycations at least, perhaps a Vienna day trip or something similarly close. Not sure anything farther will happen, but I’m a spring/autumn traveler anyway. And if things go well I might make it to the UK for an early autumn vacation. But that’s more of a wish than anything else at this point and I’ll be okay if it doesn’t happen. 

Uhhhh ... not really. The plan for now is to go to the boring town in Germany to write my dissertation.

The rest of my plans are as uncertain as yours seem to be. Maybe you should visit a neighbouring country? ;) 

11 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Hello, felice! What are you up to recently?

Nothing very exciting. Mostly wasting time on the internet.

11 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I am also planning my summer already - I need to spend some of it writing my dissertation at least.

Good luck with that! I'm sure you'll do a great job.

• 2 weeks later...