Star Wars - We're ALL Being Tortured For No Reason

Relic

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was thinking more about how to justify my Disney+ account, but I appreciate the book suggestions.

First of all, you justify that Disney+ account by watching, "The Cat From Outer Space". Is it Star Wars. No. But you better believe Colonel Blake and Colonel Potter in the same damn movie with Sandy Duncan justifies the fuck out of that account.

Then if you want Star Wars, just start with Clone Wars and work through Rebels completely ignoring that they tried some sort of connective cartoon with the sequels...

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was thinking more about how to justify my Disney+ account, but I appreciate the book suggestions.

That’s not the EU...

@Jace, Basilissa has given the one correct answer to your initial question.  Jaxom got you on your misguided intent.

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Clone Wars started in the old EU but got shifted into the New Canon in 2012. Rebels was always in the New Canon.

Things that are in the EU/Legends but which are no longer canon but still around would be some of the video games (the Dark Forces and X-Wing series, and Republic Commando) and most of the books (all the pre-2012 ones) and the original (and still best) edition of the Star Wars tabletop RPG. The novels for the New Canon aren't really worth reading, especially because the films and TV show have been cheerfully ignoring them.

The Old Republic games are in a really vague area where The Old Republic itself is apparently in the New Canon (all of its story decisions for the last few years have had to be approved by the Lucasfilm Story Group) but the backstory, which relies on KotOR I and II, is not necessarily canon. But there's been more and more references to KotOR planets and events recently, so who the hell knows.

Bringing this over from the Mandalorian thread:

11 hours ago, teej6 said:

I know a lot of people hate the prequels, but it worked for me cause SW, for me, was always about the Skywalker family and the prequels brought it full circle. It showed the rise of a young, basically good person who had everything but fails because of his insecurities and fear.

I'm not sure that's what the prequels actually do. If the intent was to portray Anakin as a 'basically good person', they fail. I think we have to more or less ignore kid-Anakin from Phantom Menace as he basically has no character other than 'precocious kid'. He's an archetype with no depth at that point. And then for the next two movies, he's a different archetype - moody teen with anger issues. Any 'good' he does is because he happens to be a Jedi/Padawan. He doesn't seem motivated to do good for its own sake, or to care much about doing good. Honestly, Vader is more interesting without the prequels.

12 minutes ago, mormont said:

Bringing this over from the Mandalorian thread:

I'm not sure that's what the prequels actually do. If the intent was to portray Anakin as a 'basically good person', they fail. I think we have to more or less ignore kid-Anakin from Phantom Menace as he basically has no character other than 'precocious kid'. He's an archetype with no depth at that point. And then for the next two movies, he's a different archetype - moody teen with anger issues. Any 'good' he does is because he happens to be a Jedi/Padawan. He doesn't seem motivated to do good for its own sake, or to care much about doing good. Honestly, Vader is more interesting without the prequels.

He's more frightening, but idk about more interesting. We learn that Anakin was a slave and a prodigy, and I think it's important to understand the latter as that can be a person's downfall when they can't control things, which is what leads him to the dark side. 

A big problem with the Anakin to Vader transformation is that the fall of Anakin is due to his anger and passion but Vader is a stoic, implacable kind of evil, not a raging, animated kind of evil. I suppose that could be waved away because he's an old, injured cyborg by the time ANH rolls around but there's a huge gap between the raging, hate filled Anakin at the end of 'RoS' and what we see afterwards. His hatred has seemingly been replaced with passive, resigned evil.

This is of course is why prequels are almost always inferior. The writer's hands are so tied in terms of having to fit into the pre-existing story. What's a prequel that's better than the original? In this case, Vader was awesome in the OT but that performance and characterization doesn't really fit with the explanation created in the PT.

I think that might be one of the most disappointing aspects of the prequels. It ruins Vader as a character. I still can’t connect Anakin from the prequels with Vader, they don’t appear to have any connecting characteristics and no matter how many times Id see those movies I still wouldn’t understand how one becomes the other 

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

He's more frightening, but idk about more interesting. We learn that Anakin was a slave and a prodigy, and I think it's important to understand the latter as that can be a person's downfall when they can't control things, which is what leads him to the dark side. 

Mileage varies, I suppose. But in the OT, I learned most of this anyway. Three prequel films later, I didn't feel that I discovered anything new about him that made him significantly more interesting.

2 hours ago, Vaughn said:

What's a prequel that's better than the original? In this case, Vader was awesome in the OT but that performance and characterization doesn't really fit with the explanation created in the PT.

Halo Reach wipes the floor with the original Halo: Combat Evolved, as a story and as a game. A lot of people are saying that Half-Life: Alyx is far better than Half-Life 2.

Although granted video games I feel can be exempt from that trend.

In terms of books, TV shows, and movies there's not many. I haven't seen Better Call Saul but I know some people think it's better than Breaking BadThe Godfather II, obviously. Oh, Bumblebee wipes the floor with the Bay Transformers films (that's not saying too much though). X-Men: First Class is probably a stronger movie than X-Men (though not X-Men 2). 

2 hours ago, Vaughn said:

A big problem with the Anakin to Vader transformation is that the fall of Anakin is due to his anger and passion but Vader is a stoic, implacable kind of evil, not a raging, animated kind of evil. I suppose that could be waved away because he's an old, injured cyborg by the time ANH rolls around but there's a huge gap between the raging, hate filled Anakin at the end of 'RoS' and what we see afterwards. His hatred has seemingly been replaced with passive, resigned evil.

On the surface, the idea that James Earl Jones’s voice is a result of his breathing apparatus doesn’t seem so bad, but ultimately JEJ is Darth Vader. It’s that vocal performance that we latched on to in the OT, and there’s no attempt to connect the prequels to that. You’re right, a colder and more methodical kind of evil would’ve worked better for Anakin. This is part of what continues to baffle me about Hayden Christensen’s casting: he looks, sounds, and acts, nothing like Jake Lloyd, James Earl Jones or Sebastian Stan. Or has the physique of David Prowse. I can’t for the life of me picture what it was that made the casting people go “Wow, this is our guy!”

All that aside, it’s been mentioned before but HUGE props to Rebels for the scene where 

Spoiler

Ahsoka slices off half of Vader’s mask, and Anakin’s voice is intermingled with Vader’s. Thats easily the closest anyone’s come to overcoming the above issue.

46 minutes ago, Werthead said:

X-Men: First Class is probably a stronger movie than X-Men (though not X-Men 2). 

One of my film series hobby horses (apart from Indy 4 not being nearly as bad as people say and Revenge of the Sith being by a distance the worst Star Wars film ever made) is that First Class is, objectively, shit. It's much worse than X-Men.

People tend to remember the Magneto sections of first class and not the absolute garbage of its second half, which is why it gets a pass. But it is rubbish, like pretty much every single Xmen movie.

Even Godfather 2 is only partly a prequel, and breaking bad is better than better call Saul I’m afraid, as much as I like it.

Prequels have the inherent weakness that you know what is going to happen, so it’s unsurprising that they are so hard to do right.

10 minutes ago, mormont said:

One of my film series hobby horses (apart from Indy 4 not being nearly as bad as people say and Revenge of the Sith being by a distance the worst Star Wars film ever made) is that First Class is, objectively, shit. It's much worse than X-Men.

Yes to the first. No to the second. Hell no to the third.

You must be popular at parties.

Archived