Did Ned and Catelyn know how bad Joffrey was and ignore the signs?

Angel Eyes

By the standards of Ned's culture, the people south of the neck are immoral backstabbers without honor. It's only because Ned was raised in the Vale, saw Robert as a brother, and was himself married to a southener, that he was too enlightened to believe in such stereotypes. Too bad they were correct when it came to Joffrey.

"I was eight when my father sent me to foster at the Eyrie," Ned said. "Ser Rodrik tells me there is bad feeling between Robb and Prince Joffrey. That is not healthy. Bran can bridge that distance. He is a sweet boy, quick to laugh, easy to love. Let him grow up with the young princes, let him become their friend as Robert became mine. Our House will be the safer for it."

He was right; Catelyn knew it. It did not make the pain any easier to bear. She would lose all four of them, then: Ned, and both girls, and her sweet, loving Bran. Only Robb and little Rickon would be left to her. She felt lonely already. Winterfell was such a vast place. "Keep him off the walls, then," she said bravely. "You know how Bran loves to climb."

Is this the conversation between two parents over their 7-year-old son (seemingly Cat's favourite) being made to become friends with an older child they think is a psychopath?

If they truly thought Joffrey like that, why would they assume 'sweet' Bran would change that? Ned's comparing Joffrey and Bran to him and Robert. Clearly this is not a man who thinks Joffrey is irredeemable.

Archived