Oscar Isaac As Solid Snake In Sony’s ‘Metal Gear Solid’ Movie

AncalagonTheBlack

EXCLUSIVE: Sony’s long awaited Metal Gear Solid adaptation looks to have gained some major momentum as sources tell Deadline that Oscar Isaac is attached to play Solid Snake in the Jordan Vogt-Roberts film. The movie is currently in development at Sony Pictures with Vogt-Roberts on board to direct.

The film is based on the Metal Gear Solid video game created by Hideo Kojima and published by Konami. The script is written by Derek Connolly. Avi Arad is producing. Peter Kang is the executive overseeing for the studio.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/oscar-isaac-solid-snake-sonys-metal-gear-solid-movie-1234650259/

The game nearly invented cinematic story telling (if you ignore Ninja Gaiden...) so it would seem to be a natural adaptation.  I just wish I had any modicum of faith at all in Sony to do a decent adaptation.  :( 

The big question is, is this an actual MGS movie (with all the weirdness that would entail), or is this a clone of Bourne/Mission Impossible?

I'd actually be okay with a well done MI-ripoff starring Oscar Issac. But I'd prefer full-on weirdness.

11 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I suspect they're going to downplay their popular names in favour of their actual names, for starers. And they'll be streamlining the story. A lot.

that's inspired casting!

And the story devolved into batshit nonsense so I think they'd be best not being too faithful to the game. Plus 90% of the game is hiding behind/in things while talking on the radio which is fine in a stealth game would make a really dull movie.

Isaac slumming for a big pay day, I expect, joining recent predecessors Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Fassbender.

There hasn't been a good video game-to-film adaptation since Mortal Kombat, 25 years ago. Will this one match it? Color me dubious.

1 minute ago, Ran said:

Isaac slumming for a big pay day, I expect, joining recent predecessors Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Fassbender.

There hasn't been a good video game-to-film adaptation since Mortal Kombat, 25 years ago. Will this one match it? Color me dubious.

Not a fan of Detective Pikahu?

Also, I didn't see the Sonic movie this past winter, but it sounds like it was fine.

Yeah, Detective Pikachu was fun, but arguably a Ryan Reynolds comedy movie with a sort of Pokemon skin being put over the top. I don't think it had a huge amount to do with the actual game (although most game-to-film adaptations are the same).

45 minutes ago, Ran said:

Mortal Kombat being a good game-to-film adapation, that's dubious indeed.

I think the Hitman movies, or even Max Payne to some extent are relatively better movies than MK.

WRT MGS, so Uwe Boll didn't get the rights to do a movie adapation afterall, eh?

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Mortal Kombat being a good game-to-film adapation, that's dubious indeed.

Well, I haven't seen it in 25 years, so that may be. But what I recall was that there were actual critics who liked it back then (Wikipedia tells me Gene Siskel considered it the only decent video game film he'd ever seen) and while it was very basic, it was competently made and knew what it was aiming to do. It was a big box office success, as I recall, which was definitely not the norm.

4 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

I think the Hitman movies, or even Max Payne to some extent are relatively better movies than MK.

I have not seen them, but a quick glance at Rotten Tomatoes suggests that critics very much disagree with you (RT scores of 16% and 8% for the two Hitman films, and 16% for Max Payne). 

Re: Detective Pikachu, I just think of them as adapting a card game rather than a video game, but I see that they're (very loosely) based on an anime based on the video games that were based on the card game... Anyways, yeah, I don't quite count them, but mileage does vary.

Don't get me wrong. I didn't say those are good movies, just that the MK movie is truely awful.

Not Super Mario, or Double Dragon levels of awfullness, but awful in its own right.

On a seperate note, I am kinda surprised it was commercially more succesful than the Street Fighter movie with van Damme. Thought that one came out, while the muscles from Brussels still had quite a bit of a pull at the box office.

The WarCraft movie was also perfectly serviceable, if no more.

Max Payne was weak AF. That was one movie which would have been much improved if they'd stuck to the game's story, but it suffers from the huge problem that even short games tend to be ~10 hours long, which is too long to be adapted well to a film, and they completely ignored the ludicrously OTT dialogue and descriptions being the point of the franchise (so did Rockstar when they made Max Payne 3). Wahlberg was also badly miscast.

Seems like it'd be better suited to a 24-eqsue series.

He's a little young, isn't he? It's been a while but wasn't he older and retired at the start of Metal Gear Solid? Isaac seems like he should be playing the Metal Gear rookie version. 

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Seems like it'd be better suited to a 24-eqsue series.

He's a little young, isn't he? It's been a while but wasn't he older and retired at the start of Metal Gear Solid? Isaac seems like he should be playing the Metal Gear rookie version. 

Hollywood loves a prequel. This will be how he became snake, no doubt.

If the makers were being really cool they'd be as innovative as the PS game and have weird things going on like screen inversions, loss of sound, etc. Given movies seem to be moving to small screen for the foreseeable future this would be something to play with

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Hollywood loves a prequel. This will be how he became snake, no doubt.

I think the existing prequel games do delve into that, although it'd mean starting in the middle of the timeline.

MGS's meta-story, timeline and character arcs are completely insane. I don't know how you'd even start to get them on screen, but if you don't and just make a generic thriller out of the bits that do make sense, it ceases to be Metal Gear Solid. I'm interested to see how they pull this off, especially because the director seems a bit of an idiot (criticised Black Widow for ripping off MGS was...weird).

16 hours ago, Ran said:

Re: Detective Pikachu, I just think of them as adapting a card game rather than a video game, but I see that they're (very loosely) based on an anime based on the video games that were based on the card game... Anyways, yeah, I don't quite count them, but mileage does vary.

Weird way to think of it since the video games came first, and both the card games and the anime take their cues, in terms of characters/new pokemon, from the games. And Detective Pikachu is directly based on a specific game (there's no anime of it), though like Wert says, it does appear to be quite loosely.

The best video game movie is Scott Pilgrim.

33 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Weird way to think of it since the video games came first, and both the card games and the anime take their cues, in terms of characters/new pokemon, from the games. And Detective Pikachu is directly based on a specific game (there's no anime of it), though like Wert says, it does appear to be quite loosely.

Really? I always understood Pokemon as a card game first. Or maybe an anime? I don't recall, they were at the edge of my perception when I was a teenager.

33 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

If we're loosening the definition like that, the best video game movie is (and probably always will be) actually WarGames from 1983.

Just now, Ran said:

Really? I always understood Pokemon as a card game first. Or maybe an anime? I don't recall, they were at the edge of my perception when I was a teenager.

It's possible the card game hit the US and Europe before the video game did, and it was a multimedia franchise from very early on, but yeah, the game was first.

Archived