Watch, Watched, Watching: Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

Veltigar

3 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

It is on UK Netflix but i thought it would be on both. That's a shame. I wonder why only UK has it. I think we got s5 around Feb this year.

You must be thinking of season four? That showed up on US netflix on Febuary 9th.

Season five didn't even start airing on AMC until 2/23 and wasn't over till late April of this year. 

29 minutes ago, RumHam said:

You must be thinking of season four? That showed up on US netflix on Febuary 9th.

Season five didn't even start airing on AMC until 2/23 and wasn't over till late April of this year. 

Oh ok. UK Netflix has 5 seasons of 10 episodes each, although it wouldn't be the first time that they made mistakes with the season episodes come from 

3 minutes ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Oh ok. UK Netflix has 5 seasons of 10 episodes each, although it wouldn't be the first time that they made mistakes with the season episodes come from 

Huh, they are ten episode seasons. That's awesome if you guys do have it but also really weird. I checked and it's def not on US Netflix. 

I’m watching The Undoing. 
Four episodes in and I keep wondering whether the script is indeed so out of touch with reality or the culture gap is that large and I just have no understanding of the US way of things. 
This is of course beside the obvious and objective fact that characters’ actions and beliefs are entirely driven by whatever the plot requires at a given moment to not fall apart. 
The acting is ridiculously brilliant, per se. 

What was the best of Mank for me was hearing characters speak with verve, wit and -- well, display of sharp, quick, sophisticated verbal skills. Well, these characters are writers, most of them, after all, so appreciation of language, language play at the level of Olympic gold medal sports events winners, was the name of the game among those people in that time and place. They also had the same level of timing, which matters so much in such face-off and sparring -- and writing for the screen..  Those scenes pointedly make the point, as a nation, of how much our verbal understanding and expression has deteriorated in the last 60 - 70 years.

What was difficult to watch was how unhealthyly thin Lily Collins is -- the actor playing Mank's secretary.  

~~~~~~~~~

https://www.imdb.com/news/ni63111452

In the meantime it turns out that the History Channel is going to do a drama series around the last epidemic of the Black Death in England, the London Plague of 1665-67, the one Samuel Pepys recorded in his famous Diaries -- he never left London during the crisis, though he sent away his wife and household.  But from what I've read it's not Pepys's Diary entries or even Daniel Defoe's fictional Journal of the Plague Year (Defoe wasn't even around in England then) that will be the basis.  And it's going to be the same team that brought us The Vikings! on the History Channel. So you know -- :dunno:

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Back to the topic of buying Blu-rays, I just got They Live, a combo Gremlins/Gremlins 2/Goonies and the Scream trilogy for like $40. Not bad. 

That sounds like a terrible deal.

But seriously, seeing Gremlins 2 in the theater was pretty cool, mostly because of *that* scene. Brilliant.

Okay no. My different cultural roots aren’t the issue here. The plot of The Undoing is a self-serving, inconsistent train-wreck that keeps biting its own tail. All acting genius is lost in the nonsense. And characterization is completely abandoned for the sake of twists and turns and reveals and red herrings.

The undoing of The undoing is episode 5, most of all. We sink to a whole new level of low every ten minutes. It is quite spectacular, in fact. 

I would give this thing a 4 out of 10. At most. 

15 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

That sounds like a terrible deal.

But seriously, seeing Gremlins 2 in the theater was pretty cool, mostly because of *that* scene. Brilliant.

As always when Gremlins 2 is mentioned I feel an urgent need to post this.

Get a VPN you heathen! MURIKA!

I hope Tywin doesn't piss on my door handle tonight, but I have never seen Gremlins 2.

I just watched 12 Monkeys last night. My favorite time travel movie, partially because they don't give a flying turd about time travel making any god damn sense. I still haven't even bothered to see Tenet in a theater pirate Tenet yet simply because it'll probably piss me off. I always respect that both Willis and Pitt have never shied away from total oddball roles. Also, I think every single time I ever see David Morse in a movie, I just assume he's probably going to become the bad guy. It could be a family friendly Christmas movie and he's the lovable grandpa and I'll still say "Hey I bet that bastard is actually a Russian spy or perhaps a serial killer". 

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’m assuming they mean the scene where the Gremlins break into the projection room and wreck the movie. That blew my mind as a kid 

Ha, I was probably 10-12 when I first saw it and that scene got me too. My favorite one is the smart gremlin just shooting another gremlin.

32 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I hope Tywin doesn't piss on my door handle tonight, but I have never seen Gremlins 2.

It’s worth seeing if you liked the first one. It’s not as good, but it may have more memorable moments.

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

video unavailable in my country

Get ready for the future, with colonies on Luna and Mars, Europa off limits, and a science station on Titan...

The uploader has not made this video available on your planet or moon.

Archived