Watch, Watched, Watching: Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

Veltigar

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Watched The Insider. Very intense whistleblower movie. Pacino and Crowe killed it. I love Michael Mann, wish he would do another movie. 

Excellent movie. Haven't seen it in years but I remember thinking how great it pulled off tension for a movie with very little action and violence.

Agreed on Insider being an outstanding film and notably underrated.  Crowe, Pacino and Plummer all give top efforts - one of the few times Pacino has in the past 30 years or so - and the ensemble in general is just about perfect.  Is it streaming on something?  Haven't seen it in years..

After its last few episodes I think I've given up on Discovery.

Started a rewatch of Farscape instead (indirectly prompted by this thread about Firefly, as it happens: I've never really understood the appeal of Firefly, but thinking about bringing back old SF shows made me realise that I'd be pretty excited about a Farscape reboot).  It's been more than a decade since I've watched an epsiode and so far I've been pleasantly surprised.  My vague recollection was that the first season was pretty bland until its final third, but that's not really been my experience this time around.

The Legend of Korra is now available on Netflix in the UK, and since I spent the early months of the summer rewatching the original Avatar I'll probably move on to that at some point.  (Will probably be skipping most of the second season though.)

15 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Watched The Insider. Very intense whistleblower movie. Pacino and Crowe killed it. I love Michael Mann, wish he would do another movie. 

I don't think he's done anything since Blackhat which was a disappointment by his usual standards. I agree The Insider is great.

13 hours ago, DMC said:

Agreed on Insider being an outstanding film and notably underrated.  Crowe, Pacino and Plummer all give top efforts - one of the few times Pacino has in the past 30 years or so - and the ensemble in general is just about perfect.  Is it streaming on something?  Haven't seen it in years..

I think it might be Pacino's last great performance, unless I'm forgetting something.

2 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Watched Cold Pursuit ft. Neeson. 

Sooooo much potential. Too many untied loose ends. Worth a watch. Or two. Nothing more. 

I felt the movie couldn't decide whether it wanted to be a dark comedy or a thriller and it ended up not being particularly good as either.

8 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I think it might be Pacino's last great performance, unless I'm forgetting something.

He got a lot of praise for Angels in America.  And of course it also depends on your opinion of The Irishman.  Other than that though, most certainly.

On 12/19/2020 at 8:14 AM, Vaughn said:

Watched the first two episodes of Alice in Borderland. Netlix was initially set to English dubbing but it's so much better with Japanese and subtitles. Very entertaining so far.

As noted by someone upthread - episode # 3 of 'Alice in Borderland' is a tough watch. It is a fairly short run series though so if you're tolerant of murder, bathing suits and battle royales, I'd recommend it but it's no masterpiece, to be sure.

2 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Speaking of weird apocalyptic TV shows with a lot of murder, I never did watch any of 'Into the Badlands' beyond season 1. Is that worth streaming?

Loved it but mostly because it has the best fight scenes of pretty much any tv show out there. So well done.

21 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I liked this so much I bought a copy. Maybe Russel Crowe's best performance.

6 hours ago, williamjm said:

I can't say I've seen everything featuring Pacino since this, but he was great in the Angels in America miniseries as Roy Cohn.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

He got a lot of praise for Angels in America.  And of course it also depends on your opinion of The Irishman.  Other than that though, most certainly.

Even with a global pandemic meaning everything is cancelled I've still not managed to find time to watch The Irishman. I've not seen Angels in America either.

4 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I liked this so much I bought a copy. Maybe Russel Crowe's best performance.

I think that period was Crowe's Golden Era - L.A. Confidential, The Insider and Gladiator were all very different roles but all good.

34 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I think that period was Crowe's Golden Era - L.A. Confidential, The Insider and Gladiator were all very different roles but all good.

As well as A Beautiful Mind right after (even if you didn't like the movie, Crowe was fantastic).

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

Even with a global pandemic meaning everything is cancelled I've still not managed to find time to watch The Irishman. I've not seen Angels in America either.

Regarding Pacino, I totally forgot about "You Don't Know Jack". Pacino won an Emmy for that I think. It's pretty good.

17 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

He was good in State of Play even if the movie was so-so.

I really liked State of Play, great political thriller.  But that had much more to do with McAdams than Crowe and definitely Buttface.  Anyway that's pretty far removed from the time period described.  I also liked him in 3:10 to Yuma if we're just talking about good performances in good movies. 

As for movies during that time period, even the bad one was in - Proof of Life - apparently broke up a Hollywood marriage.  That's impressive.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

I really liked State of Play, great political thriller.  But that had much more to do with McAdams than Crowe and definitely Buttface.  Anyway that's pretty far removed from the time period described.  I also liked him in 3:10 to Yuma if we're just talking about good performances in good movies. 

As for movies during that time period, even the bad one was in - Proof of Life - apparently broke up a Hollywood marriage.  That's impressive.

I was editing my last post when I refreshed and lost everything, oh well. Yeah, Affleck was great in State of Play.

What I was going to say regarding Pacino:

There are two brilliant scenes I go back to that I can only describe as "verbal combat":

-Michael Fassbender opposite Liam Cunningham in Hunger. This one has the added benefit of being really beautifully shot. Cunningham's face looks like it's carved out of stone. 

-Al Pacino opposite James Cromwell in Angels in America. The way theses guys dismantle each other is amazing to watch.

This is how it's done.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

I can't remember a single thing about State of Play except that I thought it was cliché ridden. Crowe is a very good actor, and its pretty unusual for an A list actor to let himself go the way he has.  Proof of Life is one of those bad movies that is still kind of fun.

Archived