Watch, Watched, Watching: Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

Veltigar

4 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Watched 1917 yesterday. Speechless. Easily the best thing I've seen this year. Easily one of the best war films ever made. Emotional. Overwhelming.

My only disappointment is that I never got a chance to see it in theaters. I'm debating re-watching it immediately or waiting for the possibility of a theatrical re-release. Once Covid is done I suspect a few screens will be playing back-catalogue stuff as they have been for the last few months. Assuming there are screens.

How perfect was it that:

Reveal hidden contents

...Richard Madden (Rob Stark) was Dean-Charles Chapman's (Tomment Baratheon's) older brother.

To your hidden contents, indeed (and also my brain never really made that final connection because it was so overwhelmed from the filming. So good.

This was the last movie I saw in a theater (January) and it was worth the vacation day from work to have an afternoon date with MC. It simply amazing. 

Currently watching Bridgerton on Netflix. It's gorgeous and the cast is superb (and pleasantly surprised that the actress playing Lady Danbury- Adjoa Andoh, is also the narrator of Ann Leckir's books including The Raven Tower which I thought was great to listen to). Surprised it hasn't got its own thread going yet. 

@kairparavel 

Regarding the younger brother, I didn't know it at first. Just a feeling of "Man, where have I seen that actor before?" I checked IMDB afterward.

Incredible performances all around. 

Binge watching The Deuce on HBO. It's been so long since I saw the first two seasons I have to catch up before watching season 3.

23 hours ago, red snow said:

"soul" actually lived up to the hype and I really wish I'd been able to watch it on the big screen (or even something bigger than my laptop while stuck in Germany). The trailer maybe did too good a job at hiding the bulk of the film in the sense I thought it looked fairly generic Pixar (I know, how is pixar generic?) but i trusted some strong reviews from friends. 

Great central story with lots of nice twists and turns and a moving message/lesson. Jamie Foxx should do more voice-work as he's more energetic here than I've seen him on screen live.

Yeah, Soul was really good. I'm not sure I'd actually recommend it to kids, mind- certainly not to really young ones. It's got some very adult concerns. And parts of it are intense.  But I certainly like it better than Coco, which I found quite dull.

1 hour ago, kairparavel said:

Currently watching Bridgerton on Netflix. It's gorgeous and the cast is superb (and pleasantly surprised that the actress playing Lady Danbury- Adjoa Andoh, is also the narrator of Ann Leckir's books including The Raven Tower which I thought was great to listen to). Surprised it hasn't got its own thread going yet. 

Watched Bridgerton too.  Beautifully shot (although the CGI tree in the intro annoyed me) and extremely well acted if rather silly at times. Gossip girl in the 18th century.  

Spoiler

Did not buy Penelope as Lady Whistledown. Why neg her own family so relentlessly? 

Weird time moviewise for me. I had originally planned to watch El secreto de sus ojos or Working Girl but in the end I saw neither of them. Instead, I saw the following films:

• Casablanca
  • White Christmas
  • Withnail & I
  • The Host

Casablanca is of course an all time classic. I have reviewed it here a few years back, so I won't get back into it to deep, but anyone who hasn't seen it has done themselves a disservice. The film is almost eighty years old and it is still so damn watchable. Probably the most quotable film of all time, with great actors and emotion in it. The only thing that dates it is the gender politics in it. 

The other films I saw weren't in the same league unfortunately. Bong Joon Ho's The Host came closest, as I think Bong Joon is incapable of making an uninteresting movie. That doesn't make The Host a good film however. There are elements about it that are truly inspiring. I particularly like the way Bong is showing the monster in full daylight! He reduces the scariness of the creature like that, but it's remarkable to see how its effects still mostly hold up despite being from 2005. There were also some very inspired story choices in it which I found particularly bold

Spoiler

Mainly the death of the grandfather, as a result of putting his trust in his just way too stupid son. Talk about paying off a set up there!

All in all though, it's not very good in my opinion. The basic task of a horror film is to scare you, but I didn't even come within a mile of experiencing any dread whatsoever. Other storytelling choices were also weird (why so many damn siblings? What was the explanation for the hobo ex machina and what the fuck was going throughout the film?) and it just lacked cohesion and a clear vision for me. Still, it is diverting enough I suppose and it's enough of an oddity for western audiences to see it once.

The other films I saw were both stinkers though, despite being considered classics by many. Withnail & I is a deeply unpleasant film to watch, mainly because it is too dated to be really fun. For such a well-regarded comedy, I chuckled surprisingly little. 

Spoiler

The whole homosexual trying to rape & I was also quite weird to behold through modern eyes

It feels in many ways somewhat like a Richard Curtis movie about the dredges of English society instead of the usual posh crowd he features in his films. The performances were great and some of the lines are deservedly remembered as classics, but again it doesn't really gel together that well. Just some bright flashes lost in darkness. 

Still, it was better than White Christmas. That was pretty much unwatchable for how boring it was. It's a miracle that I was able to finish it, although the fact that after a while I started reading says you everything you need to know. The humor is bad, the dance routines unimpressive and it's all so damn sappy and overacted. I generally tend to like old timey musicals, but seeing a film like this I understand why the genre eventually had to die.

38 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Watched Bridgerton too.

Have seen the first three episodes.  I have a some side-eyes about all of it, particularly the AU, how the diversity and inclusion are being played, but will wait and see until I've watched it all.  I mean I am very aware that historical accuracy are not at all the point  of Romance genres, and historical Romance genres, and especially Regency Romance genrres. They are fairy tales, not historical fiction. So, I shall wait and see.

But I do wonder among my wonderings why they got Polly Walker playing her Lady Featherington like a steeply discounted HBO Rome's Atia of the Julii?

Beyond that though -- that Duke Simon Basset Hastings! played by Regé-Jean Page, is most dishalicious.  His velvet tail coats -- there is one in particular, a deep, but soft purple, with the perfect collar and lapels -- ooo la la! His wardrobe is by far and way the most scrumptious character in the series.  Well ... maybe.  He doesn't actually need clothes you know, to be scrumptious.  As this is at least partially a genre of female gaze, here there's lots of male for the eye of any gender to gaze upon.

3 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

The basic task of a horror film is to scare you, but I didn't even come within a mile of experiencing any dread whatsoever.

I haven't seen Host for a while, so I can't answer specific criticisms (and also while I did like it it isn't my favourite Bong Joon-ho film) but in fairness, I don't think scariness was the point. It's a social and political satire with a monster as a hook- it's not meant to be genuinely scary any more than Godzilla is (though obvs the sland is completely different).

Just binged Manhunt: Deadly Games

I thought it was fantastic. The 10 episodes cover the true life events of a serial bomber whose 1st attack was the infamous Atlanta Olympic Park concert attack for which security guard Richard Jewel was wrongfully suspected.

Fine acting all around, especially from the ATF investigator (loved this character) and the lead FBI agent who goes through a redemption arc.

Also the eventual serial bomber ends up being played brilliantly by an actor most will recognize from Boardwalk Empire and the latest Fargo season.

Good stuff imo.

Watched Charlie Brookers Death to 2020.  Used to be a massive fan of Brooker, even from his game reviewing days, and so was looking forward to this.

Unfortunately the problem is that 2020 is such an absurd year, with so much bad stuff happening it’s hard to find humour in some of these situations. So there was an awkward mix of genuine attempts at being funny, and outright political statements.

The other problem being that Brooker is taking a political position on issues which in these partisan times can be a little divisive. 

I didn’t find it especially funny. Hugh Grant was good though 

On 12/26/2020 at 6:01 PM, Gaston de Foix said:

Watched Bridgerton too.  Beautifully shot (although the CGI tree in the intro annoyed me) and extremely well acted if rather silly at times. Gossip girl in the 18th century.  

Reveal hidden contents

Did not buy Penelope as Lady Whistledown. Why neg her own family so relentlessly? 

Spoiler

I was surprised they identified her so soon, especially when it seems it was only revealed in the 4th book.

Soul was absolutely terrific. What a delight to watch, an ode to New York, a visual and musical joy, and frankly not really a movie for kids. Very glad I knew so little going in - it had some themes in common with Coco but in my opinion was vastly more entertaining. 

Well done, Disney. I have no idea how young kids could process half of the concepts that film threw out there, but the music and truly unique look will surely keep kids smiling, regardless. 

Watched Succession finally. I have tried it in the past and just couldn't get into it but since I had so much time off I hit it again. I liked the second season more than the first. Unfortunately I thought there were already three seasons out so I was disappointed when S2 ended.

Spoiler

I think they telegraphed it a little to much that he was going to turn on his dad again. I mean why else was Greg, the sole person on earth who actually has the documents on the ride with him?

Also to that final scene, was that a little smile on the dad, like, ok, that is my son.

Spoiler

I think he was proud that his kid turned on him if that makes sense, like his prodding and saying he didn't have the killer instinct was enough to push him into it. The dad knew from the investors that they wanted his head and I think he pushed his son into taking control rather than just getting it when the dad stepped down, if that makes sense.

I have been watching Silence by Martin Scorsese in bits and bobs over the last couple of days. Definitely not the ideal way to experience a movie, but I couldn't be arsed to do it properly with this one. I haven't read the original novel, nor seen any of the prior Japanese adaptations, but I do know a thing or two about the history of Christianity in Japan. It's very fascinating, but the film really doesn't do much with it.

Indeed, I'd say that I was mostly bored by the film. Don't think it had something interesting to stay, nor was there really much in the way of interesting imagery, which is just weird as you have the entire canon of Christian martyrs to play with for your imagery. There was even some effects work (the burning) which was terribly done.

Finally, I also didn't like the actors. It's probably an unpopular opinion but I don't think Garfield has the gravitas to pull a role like this off. He was sufficient in Hacksaw Ridge, but this is just so far our of his comfort zone, he can't hack it. I wonder whether the film could have been improved if he had switched role with Driver, who is a better dramatic actor in my estimation.

So yeah, definitely not recommended. Fortunately, there are plenty of other Scorsese films out there to like.   

On 12/27/2020 at 12:43 AM, polishgenius said:

I haven't seen Host for a while, so I can't answer specific criticisms (and also while I did like it it isn't my favourite Bong Joon-ho film) but in fairness, I don't think scariness was the point. It's a social and political satire with a monster as a hook- it's not meant to be genuinely scary any more than Godzilla is (though obvs the sland is completely different).

Okay, I can get that, but then I still want to see what the point was of the social and political satire? There isn't really anything clear to pick up on, apart from "don't polute or you'll create a monster"

55 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Okay, I can get that, but then I still want to see what the point was of the social and political satire? There isn't really anything clear to pick up on, apart from "don't polute or you'll create a monster"

I'd have to rewatch it to really be able to talk about it, but the film is basically a teardown of the Korean government and its prioritising its western allies over working-class Korean families. I found an article that goes into it some though it's not hugely in depth.

We finally got around to watching Fargo a week or so ago. Finished the first season Boxing Day. Was really well done and BBT was superb as was Martin Freeman. Started season 2 last night and am pleased to see Jean Smart in the cast. So far the story isn't quite as compelling but we're only two episodes in.

I watched Midnight Sun this weekend, Netflix movie. I can't say it was a bad movie but it was just kind of blah, for me anyway.

Spoiler

I think there supposed to be a shocker moment when they reveal that the girl is a figment of his imagination, but I felt it as soon as they introduced her. Now, I didn't expect the woman on the ship to be his daughter but really that wasn't a big deal to me.

I loved the visuals of the movie but found myself bored at times and looking stuff up on my phone.

Archived