Watch, Watched, Watching: Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

Veltigar

12 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I don't know if @Zorral watched it, but there were a great number of horses,

I did watch immediately it was available and commented rather extensively, particularly about the horses, including the significance of having the knights admire but also rather dismiss the massive Friesian stallion that was brought to court as a gift, as why they would do so in that time and culture and location. Due to environment and proximity to the Muslim taifas, these knights would also be very used to the lighter, faster, tougher horses out of the middle east and northern Africa.  Iberia was a horse culture, notable for source breeding further back already than the Romans, who maintained extensive equine menages.  So a Friesian stallion would be regarded almost as an equine 'sport'. I loved that scene.  Only a Spanish production would think to have a scene like that!

I was rather skeptical though, that considering it was still only the 11th century, whether there would have been court jousts and tourneys like that yet.  Melees, yes, particularly as that was a mounted conflict, but that kind of jousting, I wasn't sure.

El Cid received the Zorral horse rating of -- A+++.

As for the brother-sister incest, GOT probably got it from here, as this is part of the history, whether or not it was physically true, it was widely believed by those of the time who might be in the know, and thus included in the histories they wrote.  Again, that doesn't necessarily make it true. Sexual excess and transgression have always been political propaganda tools, long even before Rome.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I had no interest in the Queens Gambit despite the great reviews, but oddly my partner, whose interest runs mostly to action flicks, wanted to watch.  Am up to Ep 4 and really liking it to my surprise. 

I'd compared chess to heist movies specifically.  Or heist movies are flamboyant chess games.

2 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

I'd compared chess to heist movies specifically.  Or heist movies are flamboyant chess games.

Ha, interesting. Partner also plays chess which I don't so was yelling out various things to the TV during the chess games.  

"Surging Virus Prompts Call to Halt In-Person TV and Film Production
SAG-AFTRA, the union representing 160,000 people who work in the industry, seeks a “temporary hold” in Los Angeles."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/04/arts/television/sag-aftra-tv-movies-virus.html

“Southern California hospitals are facing a crisis the likes of which we have never seen before,” Gabrielle Carteris, the president of SAG-AFTRA, the union representing 160,000 people who work in film, television and radio, said in a statement. “Patients are dying in ambulances waiting for treatment because hospital emergency rooms are overwhelmed. This is not a safe environment for in-person production right now.”

5 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Lake Placid series is the worst ever 

I've only seen the first one but I feel like this can't be true because it's a very watchable fun movie. As opposed to something like Saw or Final Destination or Sharknado or that not-hunger games franchise where the actors quit when the studio decided to wrap it up on TV.

8 hours ago, RumHam said:

I've only seen the first one but I feel like this can't be true because it's a very watchable fun movie. As opposed to something like Saw or Final Destination or Sharknado or that not-hunger games franchise where the actors quit when the studio decided to wrap it up on TV.

Lucky you! Hmmph

8 hours ago, RumHam said:

It's a lie. The sequels are not great, but the original is legit and the series is overall pretty good big dumb monster fun. And it has a hilariously bad shared universe with the Anaconda films. 

ETA: Tremors is having a comparable run, although the original is far better than Lake Placid. 

Archived