Irri and Jhiqui

Nathan Stark

It has always struck me as odd how Irri and Jhiqui get over looked. One or both of these two are prime future-betrayal material. Dany takes the both of them for granted and is generally dismissive of them when they venture an opinion, usually on the grounds that they are superstitious. Which they are. Irri and Jhiqui are both always in the background, spending all of their time with Dany, have knowlege of her secrets, habits, idiosyncracies and probably have a good idea of what she might plan or decide in the future. In other words, Irri and Jhiqui could do a whole lot of damage to Danearys's cause if they felt overlooked or threatened. And we know Dany still has some treasons left to know. Thoughts?

Any Dothraki present for  the funeral of Khal Drogo and the subsequent transformation of the Khaleesi Daenerys Targaryen into the Mother of Dragons seem to have become loyal followers with an almost religious devotion. 

In my opinion the access they have to her and the complete trust she places in them is its own currency. I think they view themselves more like family than servants.  

Well, it's certainly true.  When I initially read through to OP I thought "Ah! The Harpy".  Still they are both in a position to do some serious damage.   I hope they are exactly who they appear to be.  Dany's up against enough without valued trusted handmaids joining the lying bastard bandwagon. 

@Reekazoid makes a point so often overlooked in Dany's ability to build a sort of odd family from the the cast-off and displaced and remnants of people who both desire her power and serve her in fear.  They seem to love her.  I think Dany's tenderness is most prominently dispayed in her interactions with little Missande and it's really sweet and mutually admiring.   And given the circumstances, Dany is very good to her people.   

13 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

It has always struck me as odd how Irri and Jhiqui get over looked. One or both of these two are prime future-betrayal material. Dany takes the both of them for granted and is generally dismissive of them when they venture an opinion, usually on the grounds that they are superstitious. Which they are. Irri and Jhiqui are both always in the background, spending all of their time with Dany, have knowlege of her secrets, habits, idiosyncracies and probably have a good idea of what she might plan or decide in the future. In other words, Irri and Jhiqui could do a whole lot of damage to Danearys's cause if they felt overlooked or threatened. And we know Dany still has some treasons left to know. Thoughts?

I don't agree with you because the Dothraki girls were there when Daenerys Targaryen walked out of Drogo's funeral fire.  Here is a quote from the best chapter in A Game of Thrones:

And after them came her handmaids, and then the others, all the Dothraki, men and women and children, and Dany had only to look at their eyes to know that they were hers now, today and tomorrow and forever, hers as they had never been Drogo's.

The Dothraki see her as something more than a khal.  She has their loyalty. 

12 hours ago, Reekazoid said:

Any Dothraki present for  the funeral of Khal Drogo and the subsequent transformation of the Khaleesi Daenerys Targaryen into the Mother of Dragons seem to have become loyal followers with an almost religious devotion. 

In my opinion the access they have to her and the complete trust she places in them is its own currency. I think they view themselves more like family than servants.  

They view themselves as a people led by Daenerys, who is much more than a khal to them.  A khal would have left them to be exploited by the strong.  Daenerys protected them and led them through the desert and into the safety of Vaes Tolorro. 

Betrayal can come from anywhere.  We have learned that early when Sansa betrayed Ned to Cersei.  It surely can happen with the handmaidens.  Say one of them falls in love with the stable boy and steals one of Dany's Qartheen gowns to look good for him.  That's the kind of betrayal you get from a handmaiden.  Now, political ideology, not going to happen.  They have it good under Dany. 

17 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

It has always struck me as odd how Irri and Jhiqui get over looked. One or both of these two are prime future-betrayal material. Dany takes the both of them for granted and is generally dismissive of them when they venture an opinion, usually on the grounds that they are superstitious. Which they are.

I don't think Dany is ever dismissive of them. She doesn't say, that's nonsense, shut up - she answers in a way that might address their fears, something like, dragons are more powerful than ghosts. It's tactful if anything.

50 minutes ago, Springwatch said:

I don't think Dany is ever dismissive of them. She doesn't say, that's nonsense, shut up - she answers in a way that might address their fears, something like, dragons are more powerful than ghosts. It's tactful if anything.

I think Dany is boastful and dismissive of them. She's usually firing off commands to them in the same sentence...

"Ghosts," Irri muttered. "Terrible ghosts. We must not stay here, Khaleesi, this is their place."

"I fear no ghosts. Dragons are more powerful than ghosts." And figs are more important. "Go with Jhiqui and find me some clean sand for a bath, and trouble me no more with silly talk."

"Rakharo is blood of my blood. His life belongs to me, not you...Now be quiet. I need to bathe."

This isn't as bad as what is to come. They rightly fear the sea because we witness what happened to Tyrion on his crossing. Sea transport leads people to their deaths. This isn't sailing on Carnival cruises and GRRM has been nothing but realistic about the dangers of sea travel during this time. But Dany is boastful about how unafraid she is and thinks it's GREAT! The Dothraki superstition is there for a good fucking reason.

Dany didn't want to see a trail of corpses behind her like she did in the Red Waste, but this will absolutely happen again on the Narrow Sea. Those deaths are on her and she'll probably say something like "This is the price of the Iron Throne." So I see Irri and Jhiqui drowning because of Dany's recklessness.

I just think that GRRM loves to put his characters through the absolute ringer; Arya in the Riverlands, Sam beyond the Wall, Jaime losing his hand, Cersie's walk of shame, Tyrion in A Dance with Dragons. Some of them haven't hit absolute rock bottom yet. Dany's handmaids betraying her for some reason (love? gold?) might do the trick for her.

58 minutes ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I think Dany is boastful and dismissive of them. She's usually firing off commands to them in the same sentence...

This isn't as bad as what is to come. They rightly fear the sea because we witness what happened to Tyrion on his crossing. Sea transport leads people to their deaths. This isn't sailing on Carnival cruises and GRRM has been nothing but realistic about the dangers of sea travel during this time. But Dany is boastful about how unafraid she is and thinks it's GREAT! The Dothraki superstition is there for a good fucking reason.

Dany didn't want to see a trail of corpses behind her like she did in the Red Waste, but this will absolutely happen again on the Narrow Sea. Those deaths are on her and she'll probably say something like "This is the price of the Iron Throne." So I see Irri and Jhiqui drowning because of Dany's recklessness.

Sea travel has risks, but it's a necessity in this world.  The demon road from Volantis to Meereen is by all accounts, very dangerous, too.  Overland, one can fall victim to raiders, brigands etc.

2 hours ago, broken one said:

An aeroplane would be safer, I agree.

Just let her fly there by herself then.

one of them has some more flab, but I cannot remember which atm

Another way to remember: Irri thinks it her duty to please Dany as her sex slave.

2 hours ago, Nathan Stark said:

Dany's handmaids betraying her for some reason (love? gold?) might do the trick for her.

If you want a big betrayal have it be someone she's madly in love with. She barely sees Irri and Jhiqui as people to have a conversation with.

Archived