NBA 2021

DireWolfSpirit

1 minute ago, Proudfeet said:

Just curious since they were traded for each other and you have a sample size now.

Not really because KAT hasn't played much since the trade. They are a good offensive duo, but they are bad defenders and it's hard to tell if the positives outweigh the negatives. It doesn't help that the team around them is bad, the coach has his job solely because of nepotism and the organization is completely mismanaged. The owner can't even sell the team because, from what I can tell, decades of mismanagement have made the franchise worth less than what a team should sell for, especially in the Twin Cities, which is actually a bigger market than it gets credited for. We're not a small market, it's just cold here for two-four months of the year and the coasts don't care about the Midwest. 

At this point, I'm resigned to the legit possibility that the team is bought and moved. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not really because KAT hasn't played much since the trade. They are a good offensive duo, but they are bad defenders and it's hard to tell if the positives outweigh the negatives. It doesn't help that the team around them is bad, the coach has his job solely because of nepotism and the organization is completely mismanaged. The owner can't even sell the team because, from what I can tell, decades of mismanagement have made the franchise worth less than what a team should sell for, especially in the Twin Cities, which is actually a bigger market than it gets credited for. We're not a small market, it's just cold here for two-four months of the year and the coasts don't care about the Midwest. 

At this point, I'm resigned to the legit possibility that the team is bought and moved. 

Oh. I didn't realise Towns hasn't been playing. Its hard to keep track with all the players being held out on quarantine and injury. It makes you appreciate the success of the bubble.

I wouldn't be so down on the team though, especially if you get a new owner and management. Teams can rebound surprisingly well by taking on bad salary for draft picks and selling them on again after rehabilitating their value. The hard part is getting good picks and developing them, which would hopefully be improved with new management. You can say what you want about the Nets being in a good market, but even without Kyrie and Durant, they improved/drafted quite a few players after that notorious trade with the Celtics. I don't think I've ever watched the Nets play, but I think that its a travesty that they fired Atkinson.

I wouldn't worry about the team being moved. Silver mentioned that they were exploring the possibility of expanding the league. Which markets are interested in having a team outside of Seattle anyway? 

20 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I wouldn't be so down on the team though, especially if you get a new owner and management. Teams can rebound surprisingly well by taking on bad salary for draft picks and selling them on again after rehabilitating their value. The hard part is getting good picks and developing them, which would hopefully be improved with new management. You can say what you want about the Nets being in a good market, but even without Kyrie and Durant, they improved/drafted quite a few players after that notorious trade with the Celtics. I don't think I've ever watched the Nets play, but I think that its a travesty that they fired Atkinson.

We've had three first overall picks in seven years. Plus several other high picks. Development isn't exactly a thing, here, lol. 

I wouldn't worry about the team being moved. Silver mentioned that they were exploring the possibility of expanding the league. Which markets are interested in having a team outside of Seattle anyway? 

Vegas, San Diego, Mexico City, Vancouver, Kentucky. There could be a few more places. The Wolves wouldn't move to SD or KY, but the other three, you never know.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

We've had three first overall picks in seven years. Plus several other high picks. Development isn't exactly a thing, here, lol. 

Yeah, I know. Just saying that its very possible to clear house and start over. Not necessarily succeed, but be in a position to, even for teams without stars and picks.

At least you have hope of a new owner. Look at the Kings or Knicks. Even if they show signs of turning it around, their owner might still pull the rug out from under them. And they don't look likely to sell.

4 hours ago, Relic said:

Trade Kyrie ASAP for pieces, imho

I'm curious if he has any value around the league.  He's obviously a talented scorer, but he's impossible to count on and could just disappear from the team for a week without explanation.

2 hours ago, Vaughn said:

What's wrong with the Heat?

My understanding is they’ve had bad luck with injuries and COVID.  

17 minutes ago, briantw said:

I'm curious if he has any value around the league.  He's obviously a talented scorer, but he's impossible to count on and could just disappear from the team for a week without explanation.

I’d trade exactly nothing of value for him.   

I was honestly kinda hoping the Nets would make the cutthroat move and just trade Irving for Harden so that they don't have to give up nearly as many role players or draft picks.  Because a team of Harden + Durant does not need another high useage, offense first, headcase personality player on the team.  Harden already does all those things and he does it better than Irving. 

Instead, we have a team that is destined to have personality problems, if not this year, then very soon.  And that has no real plus defenders, aside from Durant. 

I remain very bearish on the Nets outlook.  That team looks so poorly constructed on the court, and with two diva personalities off the court, it is hard to be optomistic.  It reminds me of the joke team I hypothesized about ~ 4 years ago of Curry, Harden, Carmelo, K. Love and A. Drummond.  Five guys who have all made All-NBA teams, including two league MVPs, and yet a team that would completely suck, because no one can play any defense and everyone's offense is ball-dominant. 

So ever since Fultz went down Orlando has done a very good job free-falling in the standings (although coming back to win by a point to the Timberwolves a few nights ago didn't help).  Right now they are the 11th worst team, but I'm confident they can get to 7th pretty easily.  Then there's the Kings and the Pelicans.  The Kings seem like there's some life there, so maybe they can leapfrog the Magic.  And the Pelicans - WTF?  I just checked their stats and both Zion and Ingram have PERs of 20 or more.  Their supporting case ain't too bad either, at least the names.  Lonzo Ball must really be special at making his team worse.

I don't think the Magic have a chance to catch the worst four teams - Pistons, TWolves, Wizards, and Rockets.  Still, they got a good shot at the 5th pick, or maybe some luck in the lottery.  I'm fine with the 5th - that should be good enough to get one of the Jalens - Green who really intrigues me or Johnson who's putting up some monster numbers at Duke.

I think the Pelicans are bad because they can't defend. With or without Lonzo.

Anyway, Lonzo is the most unremarkable player I've ever seen. He's average to slightly below average at everything. Which also means he's bad because he's good at nothing but he's not so bad that you have to pull him.

He can score, but he's not a threat. He can't shoot 3s reliably, can't break people down by driving, doesn't cut all that often off the ball, but will still score if you leave him open in close to mid range. He's supposed to be a good passer by reputation but all I see is him dumping the ball to someone else once he's past half court. Its possible he can make quick reads and play better if the team plays faster, but he's not helping matters by being super passive.

Its the same for his defense. He's just there. He's not stopping anyone. He's only forcing people to expend effort to get past him. Which is not nothing, but its not good enough.

I think that at this point, he's good enough for 8th-9th guy who provides a warm body on the court for 15-20 minutes while also not being bad enough to be forced off the court. He just needs the rest of the team to do the heavy lifting. Not ideal for someone making the salary of a 2nd(?) pick though. Maybe some other team/coach can rehabilitate him or maybe he'll improve if he gets to play a season uninterrupted by injury but so far he's been underwhelming and disappointing.

Archived