NBA 2021

DireWolfSpirit

1 minute ago, Proudfeet said:

I should have expressed it more clearly before, but my criticism is aimed at ESPN only.

Gotcha, and I tend to agree.  Seemed like something that could be one of their "posts" on the team pages rather than a full article.  Didn't mean to be defensive (heh), just explaining why I linked it.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've been waiting to see how this series covers my favorite basketball player ever, The Big Ticket.

He was like a combination of Bird's forward-thinking and Jordan's athleticism, with the intensity and competitive fire of both, in a Size L package.  And like Moses, he really dedicated himself to achieving his full potential.

It really is a shame that he labored in obscurity and without reward for 12 years in Minnesota.  Basketball is a team game, and when your best teammate over a decade of play is Sam Cassell, life is going to be hard.

Like the Big Leagues and the NFL, the NBA's late 80s/early 90s expansion teams really watered down the league's overall talent level and created many teams with no hope.  There were just not enough competitive-level NBA players at the time to fully man all those squads to play quality ball.

Also, the comment section of Ben's videos are pretty full of good stuff.  His videos seem to bring out the best of Youtube's usually lousy commentary.

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It really is a shame that he labored in obscurity and without reward for 12 years in Minnesota.  Basketball is a team game, and when your best teammate over a decade of play is Sam Cassell, life is going to be hard.

You put some respect on Wally Szczerbiak's name! 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

In all seriousness, Draymond speaks a lot of truth there.  The league is full of double standards.  Trade etiquette being just one of many.

Welcome to the dark side. 

38 minutes ago, Rhom said:

In all seriousness, Draymond speaks a lot of truth there.  The league is full of double standards.  Trade etiquette being just one of many.

It just comes down to who has the most power in the situation doesn't it? Its a league so teams get more power by default, but if you're a superstar, the positions are reversed. Kawhi gets to sit out. Davis and Harden got fined and criticised but they still forced their trades. Drummond isn't in demand so he gets treated like dirt.

I think that the public trade notice/demands is a very good point. I suppose its to prevent tampering and lowering a team's bargaining power, but the way it works now does suck. Also, teams should be professional on trades and players shouldn't find out via third parties. I think that its fair to fine teams and maybe also dock them a draft pick or so. The way Cousins and DeRozan were treated is an outrage.

As far as organisations not getting heat for their failures, eh, its a matter of perspective. As a player, the criticism they receive is amplified because they receive criticism directed at them. But on this forum at least, coaches, front offices and teams get blamed just as often. Speaking of which, I noticed that the Lakers had drafted Russell, Randle, Ingram and Clarkson who found success elsewhere. Wonder if its experience or environment or both.

On 2/13/2021 at 3:11 PM, Slurktan said:

I'm waiting to see if Zion can be anything besides  a lesser early Blake griffin (Blake occasionally played d competently). I doubt it.

Blake Griffin dunked for the first time since December 12th, 2019.

So politely, fuck you.

23 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Hmmm?

Zion is scoring effortlessly and efficiently. I'm not sure why you'd even compare the two given Zion entered the league with so many better skillsets even if you are down on his defense.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Zion is scoring effortlessly and efficiently. I'm not sure why you'd even compare the two given Zion entered the league with so many better skillsets even if you are down on his defense.

Are you seriously asking this? Maybe it's because they are two big men who rely on athleticism to play the game and yet had early injury issues. Blake Griffin also scored efficiently and effortlessly in his second year in the league. Blake Griffin is now a broken shell of his former self but still had a really good career before that. Let's hope Zion can match that.

The comparison is simple Zion is like early Blake Griffin minus the passable defense at this point. Doesnt seem that hard to figure out.

13 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Are you seriously asking this? Maybe it's because they are two big men who rely on athleticism to play the game and yet had early injury issues. Blake Griffin also scored efficiently and effortlessly in his second year in the league. Blake Griffin is now a broken shell of his former self but still had a really good career before that. Let's hope Zion can match that.

The comparison is simple Zion is like early Blake Griffin minus the passable defense at this point. Doesnt seem that hard to figure out.

First, Zion has not suffered the same injuries Blake did so far that stole his athleticism. Second, Zion's offense is more efficient scoring wise, he's a much better ball handler and passer at this point, and the rebounding overall is probably a wash. Idk where Blake's defense was at early year two, but Zion does a lot of positive things. But regardless, his skillset is already a lot more varied and he's among the most efficient players in the league. He is not the reason why the Pelicans are underperforming. 

The Pelicans aren't just under performing, they are awful. Even the tanking Pistons youngsters just beat them handily (with Blake being benched).

Early career Blake was a fierce rebounder, better than Zion on the boards.

Blake is now permanently benched till the Pistons can get rid of him. They need to give those minutes to the developing players, according to Casey.

My favorite part of that Draymond rant - 

"Because when James Harden asked for a trade, and essentially dogged it, no one's going to fight back that James was dogging it his last days in Houston, but he was castrated for wanting to go to a different team. Everybody destroyed that man. And yet a team can come out and say, 'Oh, we want to trade a guy,' and then that guy has to go sit, and if he doesn't stay professional, then he's a cancer. And he's not good in someone's locker room, and he's the issue."

The word you were looking for, Dray, is Castigated. But I'm down with your message.

10 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

My favorite part of that Draymond rant - 

The word you were looking for, Dray, is Castigated. But I'm down with your message.

Hey he meant castigated but castrated fits even better. Hell, maybe that explains why Harden is playing so much better. No dick, no strip clubs. 

3 hours ago, Relic said:

Hey he meant castigated but castrated fits even better. Hell, maybe that explains why Harden is playing so much better. No dick, no strip clubs. 

Did you........just................defend Draymond Green?

Bulls come back from 25 behind the Pistons - the largest comeback in the NBA this season so far. Our young three prospects Donovan has been starting all season (despite our vets being *clearly* stronger players) have all been struggling at times. White has been, frankly, atrocious so far through 28 games trying to learn the point, Williams is gonna be really good but is still 19 and growing into his body, and Carter Jr seems to have regressed since his rookie year. So when all three were playing like shit, Donovan finally benched them to start the 3rd. Our vets foisted a great comeback. Then the young bucks came back and each made a great impact here or there. 

Frankly I'd rather they keep fighting hard but just miss the playoffs for that sweet, sweet lottery ball gamble. But I don't think they'd back down while getting their asses kicked if they slipped into the playoffs somehow.

Archived