Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DireWolfSpirit

NBA 2021

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I know, but the point is they've had the parts needed for a few years now to be a championship team. And I agree about Redick. Never understood why they didn't keep him while bring in a nice but very redundant player in Horford. Seth should be a good replacement given he has the second highest 3 point shooting percentage of all time. 

I actually thought that they could have made it work with Horford regardless. Basically a more potent version of the Gasol/Ibaka pairing where they play together for a limited time but either is always on the court and can go harder because they have more rest time.

Thinking back on it now, they'd have needed a VanVleet still. Or maybe they needed Nick Nurse instead. Or maybe if they could play all games at home instead of Orlando. :ack:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I actually thought that they could have made it work with Horford regardless. Basically a more potent version of the Gasol/Ibaka pairing where they play together for a limited time but either is always on the court and can go harder because they have more rest time.

Thinking back on it now, they'd have needed a VanVleet still. Or maybe they needed Nick Nurse instead. Or maybe if they could play all games at home instead of Orlando. :ack:

Lol.

Let me bounce something off of you. I hate sports clichés by and large, but in basketball I do think it's fair to say that if you're trying to beat a titan, do so not by copying them, but by making something that disturbs them. The Bucks have had crazy size and length for a few seasons now, and they seemed to be the team that in the regular season could really bother GS. I wonder if Philly tried to go that route, only they did so after the Warriors dynasty came to a close (at least for now) and that blueprint no longer works. 

Anyways, they retooled and do look good. And some random dude on their bench put up 31 tonight. And did Embiid get hurt though? He didn't play much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol.

Let me bounce something off of you. I hate sports clichés by and large, but in basketball I do think it's fair to say that if you're trying to beat a titan, do so not by copying them, but by making something that disturbs them. The Bucks have had crazy size and length for a few seasons now, and they seemed to be the team that in the regular season could really bother GS. I wonder if Philly tried to go that route, only they did so after the Warriors dynasty came to a close (at least for now) and that blueprint no longer works. 

Anyways, they retooled and do look good. And some random dude on their bench put up 31 tonight. And did Embiid get hurt though? He didn't play much.

I think that copying is good. Its easier than inventing. Its just that you need to pick and see what applies to you. You don't have to copy just that one person or team that was incredibly successful last season. If you're scouting all the teams anyway, you really should try to learn from all their success and failures. There are lessons to be learnt from previous seasons too. How did the teams five or ten years ago succeed and why did they fail eventually? 

If you meant copying them like for like, then obviously not. Especially when you're copying recent teams. Teams are just too different so you're just going to be an inferior version most of the time. Unless you think that their formula is that good and you can outdo them with better players. In which case, go for it. I think its incredibly unlikely though.

Its about playing to your strengths. You maximise what you're good at. Just look at Popovich and the Spurs. They are having a rough go these couple of years but they succeeded by pivoting to playing what suited them the most. I don't think there's any way of guaranteeing success. Just build around your star(s) and hope that its enough to get you over the line or go get other stars that you think can do it.

I don't think that Philly tried to copy the Bucks. Because if they did, they kind of missed the memo about having shooters clear space. And even if they did, there's no point if they could only beat the Warriors but not even make it to the Finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Anyways, they retooled and do look good. And some random dude on their bench put up 31 tonight. And did Embiid get hurt though? He didn't play much.

How dare you call the immortal Shake Milton “some random dude”?!!?

(Actually, I only looked to see if it might have been Tyrese Maxey. :lol: )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Well, in that case, its probably going to be a disaster. I'm placing my bets on the Sixers this year. Then again, I've also thought that they'd make it last year but look how that turned out. 

The Nets are pretty inarguably the most talented team in the East (and probably the whole league).  The most talented team doesn't always win in the NBA, but that is usually the most likely outcome.  Things like personal chemistry, on-court fit and injury luck always play a factor as well, and I think that this Nets team is going to have a lot of trouble turning it's talent into wins in the playoffs. 

But lots of people think that these guys will figure it out and get along (at least for a year or two) because Harden's never won a ring and Durant/Irving were both (in some ways at least) second banana.  That's why the betting markets have the Nets at almost 50-50 odds to win the East (+120 if you're familiar with moneylines), and just barely behind the Lakers as the most likely to win the championship overall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The Nets are pretty inarguably the most talented team in the East (and probably the whole league).  The most talented team doesn't always win in the NBA, but that is usually the most likely outcome.  Things like personal chemistry, on-court fit and injury luck always play a factor as well, and I think that this Nets team is going to have a lot of trouble turning it's talent into wins in the playoffs. 

But lots of people think that these guys will figure it out and get along (at least for a year or two) because Harden's never won a ring and Durant/Irving were both (in some ways at least) second banana.  That's why the betting markets have the Nets at almost 50-50 odds to win the East (+120 if you're familiar with moneylines), and just barely behind the Lakers as the most likely to win the championship overall. 

I wouldn't gamble on the Nets until Kyrie returns from the wilderness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a lot of things that can go wrong for the Nets, in a way that nobody was talking about things going wrong for other superteams like the Heat or the Warriors.  But that said, if things go right, this team could be both unwatchable and unbeatable. 

The NBA has a heel team now, and that's kinda fun. 

Edited by Maithanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...