NBA 2021

DireWolfSpirit

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Cavs currently on pace to go 72-0.  :lol:

Also, seeing Javale McGee in a veteran leadership role is the weirdest shit ever.

I mean being on multiple championship teams and playing with the likes of LeBron and Durant and Curry and Rondo will rub off on ANYONE. Except Kyrie. 

27 minutes ago, Relic said:

I mean being on multiple championship teams and playing with the likes of LeBron and Durant and Curry and Rondo will rub off on ANYONE. Except Kyrie. 

I mean it's great to see that he's matured like that and become a true veteran mentor.

It's just weird because he was such a fucking knucklehead.  Not in a bad way like with off the court stuff, of course.  Just on the court.

I mean it's great to see that he's matured like that and become a true veteran mentor.

It's just weird because he was such a fucking knucklehead.  Not in a bad way like with off the court stuff, of course.  Just on the court.

For a lot of coaches, the "Javale" is a great team member that you want on your squad.  He or she comes to practice on time every time, works hard, and tries his or her hardest in practice and in games.  Maybe not the smartest kid, but works right up to the edge of his or her capacity.  As a coach, you can more easily stomach the goofs on court from that "Javale" than the lack of effort, lack of awareness, or lack of practice from a smarter, more skilled player.

One of Shaq's least attractive qualities was his constant belittling of the actual Javale all the time, particularly since Shaq didn't exactly maximize his own skill set.

Some people just can't put it together in their sport.  It looks like "poor awareness" or whatever, but it's not that they aren't trying or that they're stupid people.  I've definitely seen it in my sports career.  Basketball is kind of unusual in that a guy like Javale who really can't put it together can still have a long pro career purely on the basis of being 7 feet tall and athletic. 

45 minutes ago, Relic said:

Sure, it sucks to pick on people for their short comings, but come on. Some of the things McGee did on the court were just like...hilariously absentminded. 

Yup.  Dude wasn't a bad guy but he did some incredibly, hilariously stupid shit on the court.  

But again, awesome that he put it all together and became a model veteran leader.  From what I've read as a Cavs fan, their GM was informed both before and after the trade by a few different people in other front offices that he's a joy to coach.

That trade seemed meaningless to me at the time, but it's nice to see a guy come to what appeared to be a shitty situation and work hard to help turn it around rather than mope and put in a lesser effort. 

Cavs in first place in the East right now.

Tied with the Magic.  I am not entertained by this, btw, in the slightest.  Just means they're gonna continue on the treadmill of mediocrity wherein if they sucked right now perhaps they would jettison Fournier and Gordon at the deadline and get a good pick.  Damn you Steve Clifford!  OTOH, both Fultz and Anthony look really good in the early going.  Haven't been able to watch but based on minutes it appears Clifford hasn't played them simultaneously as of yet.  Hope that changes if they both keep up this productivity.

Thibs has single handedly resurrected Julius Randle’s career.  Last two games he had near thirty points and was one assist away from having two straight triple doubles.

32 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Thibs has single handedly resurrected Julius Randle’s career.  Last two games he had near thirty points and was one assist away from having two straight triple doubles.

While it was frustrating to see the Cavs miss approximately 40 open threes, that game was also encouraging because it's the type of game they'd have lost by thirty the past two years.  They couldn't hit the ocean from a boat, but they stayed in the game by playing scrappy defense and forcing turnovers.  

Refreshing to see, because I'm not sure they even knew what defense was a year ago.

45 minutes ago, Rhom said:

While playing 44 minutes. 

Magic are now 4-0, the only other unbeaten team left are the Hawks.  Southeast division baby!  Apparently this is the first time in franchise history the Magic started 4-0.  That's somewhat surprising.  They play Philly tomorrow.  Can they stop such sorcery?!?

17 minutes ago, briantw said:

The Thibs way.  Run your guys into the ground and let the next guy worry about the wear and year.

But he claims he's learned from his time away, and is even willing to embrace analytics, just like Mike McCarthy.

Oh, wait....

4 hours ago, Relic said:

John Wall looked good last night. Hmmmmmmm

Wall, Cousins and Harden on a single team?  If they can learn to live together in peace and harmony, it ought to be awesome.

If not, set your dumpster on fire and jump in, Houston.

54 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Wall, Cousins and Harden on a single team?  If they can learn to live together in peace and harmony, it ought to be awesome.

If not, set your dumpster on fire and jump in, Houston.

In their primes that would be dynamic, but not now. 

Archived