Who will detonate the wildfire, and why? Please stop and let this thread die...

Alyn Oakenfist

2 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

How??? Arya doesn't know about the wildfire, she has no way to find out about it, nor does she have a dragon that might light it accidentally. There is literally no way she might do it.

The rumors of wildfire under the city are widely known and Arya was fond of exploring the old dark passages under the red keep. She´ll find some if she wants to.

3 hours ago, Annalee said:

The only reason for Daenerys Targaryen to burn her city, the city her ancestors built, will be to stop the Others and their ice wights from further spreading.  She will have no choice should the city fall to the Others and becomes overrun with wights.  This is possible.  The Pale Mare is the training for how to stop the spread of wightification.  The Others and their ice wights will be treated as an infectious disease.

Others in King's Landing!? Lmao

Pale Mare contamination prevention failed miserably even after the warning 

The Mare and the disease part reminds of another reason KL may burn. JonCon's ambitions. Grey plague. Shivers. 

3 hours ago, Annalee said:

The person who might burn the city out of spite is Arya Stark.  She has knelt in the altar of the god of death and she will snap emotionally.  The ghost of HH was disturbed by Arya and foresaw the many people that little one will kill.  The old lady would not have been disturbed if Arya's victims are all bad people. 

I didn't see you in my toxic dump IIRC. Meh

2 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

Dude... cut it out

I'm rationing myself two sarcastic replies to the quite-more-than-two Stark haters' irrationally biased posts. :D :P

No overt toxicity from me I promise. After all, one must enjoy the pleasures in life 

Wildfire is worth more than gold because it can be used against the White Walkers.  I don't believe that the capital will burn unless it is to contain and keep Greyscale from spreading.  No one will squander wildfire unless it is really necessary.  Note my use of No One.  I could see Arya doing it for revenge.  Stannis is another who might do it.  

Dany won't do it unless it is to save the lives of more people.  Cersei is mean but not suicidal.  Stannis could do it if he sees no other way to win.  The Sand Snakes could do it for revenge.  But it is Arya who is the most likely to blow up the capital. She will have nothing to live for after Jon's death in her own mind.  She would do something like this to take out her enemies.

I don't think it will be Arya but she's a suspect. I don't think she really cares about small folk unless they are useful to her. When she and the Hound are in that village by the Vale she says she hates the villagers because they're cowards and has that little episode with the elders daughter where she rips up her soldier doll.

I don't think she'll use the wildfire because it isn't personal enough and Arya wants the pure satisfaction of fulfilling her revenge by sticking the knife in herself and watching the light go out of their eyes. A giant explosion where she wouldn't even see them dying/dead wouldn't achieve that. 

My money is on Cersei. Her only reason for living, now that she can't rule outright, is Tomme and Myrcella. Once they are dead I could definitely see her going out suicidal like that to kill whoever she thought was responsible.

8 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

The conflict in the west has always been between the lion and the wolf.  The lion has had the better of the wolves but it will end. Bran will learn who crippled him. Arya already hates the lions.  Arya will ignite the Wildfire when Jaime, Cersei, Illyn, and Tommen are all in the city.  Bran will guide her to do this. My answer is Arya will set off the wildfire.

Good point.  This conflict will come to its conclusion and it looks like the Starks will get the last laugh.  And last it should be for both these two families.  Arya will go down with hundreds of thousands of people in a blaze of sick glory.  Arya will light the wildfire and send thousands of souls to the many faced god that she worships.  The sweet taste of revenge will be hers but also the bitter taste of her own death. 

King's Landing will have to be burned if greyscale breaks out.  That is the only scenario where I could see Daenerys, Aegon, Cersei, and Jon Connington burning the city.  The only one who would commit this kind of atrocity for gain is Euron.  Arya and Lady Stoneheart would also set the city on fire to avenge the Starks.  High Sparrow could go all religious nut and burn up the sinners.  There is not many scenarios in which this could happen deliberately.  

11 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Wildfire is worth more than gold because it can be used against the White Walkers.  I don't believe that the capital will burn unless it is to contain and keep Greyscale from spreading.  No one will squander wildfire unless it is really necessary.  Note my use of No One.  I could see Arya doing it for revenge.  Stannis is another who might do it.  

Tbf, one would have to be mad to ignite it on purpose, leaving us only Cersei in that case. However there are many ways in which it could be ignited accidentally.

Dany won't do it unless it is to save the lives of more people.

Again, you're presuming intent. I agree that Dany would only intentionally use it on the city as a last resort against the WW, but keep in mind her main weapon is going to be dragons, who's flames are perfect for the wildfire.

Cersei is mean but not suicidal

I think you're massively over estimating Cersei's sanity, especially if Tommen and Myrcella die

Stannis could do it if he sees no other way to win.

Stannis ain't leaving the North alive

The Sand Snakes could do it for revenge.

The only particular Sand Snake that might do something like that for revenge is Obara, and she's off Darkstar hunting.

But it is Arya who is the most likely to blow up the capital. She will have nothing to live for after Jon's death in her own mind.  She would do something like this to take out her enemies.

:bs:

"There was no home there for him. Even the big house with the red door had not been home for him." - Daenerys, AGOT I

I think Grrm said something about the ending being foreshadowed in the first chapters (or first book, cant remember) but I think this quote is going to be significant later. Its full of bitterness and pain and I think Dany will take on Viserys' mindset. Dany hopes to find a "home" in a fallen dynasty in a land she doesn't know, but this has to crumble, its just too great of an expectation, she has fantastical thoughts about Westeros as this fabled promised land, but she has not lived in Westeros, and "home" demands fealty of all 7 kingdoms. When it hits her that "there is no home there for her" I think she will lash out and intentionally destroy the city and let wildfire help her do the job. 

On 12/8/2020 at 9:38 AM, PrettyLittlePsycho said:

The rumors of wildfire under the city are widely known and Arya was fond of exploring the old dark passages under the red keep. She´ll find some if she wants to.

Arya will want to get revenge after she hears what happened to Jon at the wall.  Wildfire will be her tool.

Okay, this may be a dumb question, as well as coming rather late to the party ... But I have to ask: what wildfire?

We know that there was plenty before the battle of the Blackwater, but it seems likely that most of it, if not all, was used up in the battle. Later, Cersei used some to burn the Tower of the Hand. But there's been no mention of the substance since then.

It's likely that some of the Mad King's caches are still hidden away in some forgotten tunnels or cellars beneath King's Landing. But there is no indication that anyone who's alive today knows where they are. And there is no mention of Cersei ordering the alchemists to make more.

In the HBO fan fiction, there is one more time when Cersei made use of wildfire. I wonder if some of us have confused that with the story line of the books?

49 minutes ago, Aebram said:

Okay, this may be a dumb question, as well as coming rather late to the party ... But I have to ask: what wildfire?

We know that there was plenty before the battle of the Blackwater, but it seems likely that most of it, if not all, was used up in the battle. Later, Cersei used some to burn the Tower of the Hand. But there's been no mention of the substance since then.

It's likely that some of the Mad King's caches are still hidden away in some forgotten tunnels or cellars beneath King's Landing. But there is no indication that anyone who's alive today knows where they are. And there is no mention of Cersei ordering the alchemists to make more.

The Mad King's wildfire, the one that was enough to blow the city. And it isn't just come of his catches, it's all of them, Jaime killed everyone that knew about it

On 12/7/2020 at 6:49 PM, Wolf's Bane said:

Arya Stark.  Arya Stark will detonate the wildfire.  She's just crazy enough and angry enough to do it.  All hell will break loose when she learns of her beloved Jon getting killed by his own Night's Watch men.  She will sling blame all over the place and in her despair, take her anger out on as many people she can.   

In order of the most likely to detonate the wildfire:

1. Euron Greyjoy
  2. The Faceless Men (Arya Stark)
  3. Arrianne Martell and the Sand Snakes
  4. Arya Stark on her own initiative.  She would do this if she is near the city when news of Jon's death reaches her. 
  5. Cersei Lannister
  6. Stannis Baratheon
  7. The Sparrows
  8. The Wildlings under The Weeper

Aegon or Daenerys would do it only to stop a pandemic.  Greyscale would count as a pandemic.  They will only do so if there is no other way to keep the disease from spreading. 

Jon Snow would turn destroyer if Arya gets killed before he does.  He is another vengeful sort.  But he will use ice to do his dirty work.  He could lead an army of wights into the city.  I assume a few wights will get through the Trident and menace the south.  Jon would be part of that army.

7 hours ago, Aebram said:

I'd say that there probably are still caches to be found.

ASoS Jaime V.

Spoiler

He floated in heat, in memory. "After dancing griffins lost the Battle of the Bells, Aerys exiled him." Why am I telling this absurd ugly child? "He had finally realized that Robert was no mere outlaw lord to be crushed at whim, but the greatest threat House Targaryen had faced since Daemon Blackfyre. The king reminded Lewyn Martell gracelessly that he held Elia and sent him to take command of the ten thousand Dornishmen coming up the kingsroad. Jon Darry and Barristan Selmy rode to Stoney Sept to rally what they could of griffins' men, and Prince Rhaegar returned from the south and persuaded his father to swallow his pride and summon my father. But no raven returned from Casterly Rock, and that made the king even more afraid. He saw traitors everywhere, and Varys was always there to point out any he might have missed. So His Grace commanded his alchemists to place caches of wildfire all over King's Landing. Beneath Baelor's Sept and the hovels of Flea Bottom, under stables and storehouses, at all seven gates, even in the cellars of the Red Keep itself.

"Everything was done in the utmost secrecy by a handful of master pyromancers. They did not even trust their own acolytes to help. The queen's eyes had been closed for years, and Rhaegar was busy marshaling an army. But Aerys's new mace-and-dagger Hand was not utterly stupid, and with Rossart, Belis, and Garigus coming and going night and day, he became suspicious. Chelsted, that was his name, Lord Chelsted." It had come back to him suddenly, with the telling. "I'd thought the man craven, but the day he confronted Aerys he found some courage somewhere. He did all he could to dissuade him. He reasoned, he jested, he threatened, and finally he begged. When that failed he took off his chain of office and flung it down on the floor. Aerys burnt him alive for that, and hung his chain about the neck of Rossart, his favorite pyromancer. The man who had cooked Lord Rickard Stark in his own armor. And all the time, I stood by the foot of the Iron Throne in my white plate, still as a corpse, guarding my liege and all his sweet secrets.

"My Sworn Brothers were all away, you see, but Aerys liked to keep me close. I was my father's son, so he did not trust me. He wanted me where Varys could watch me, day and night. So I heard it all." He remembered how Rossart's eyes would shine when he unrolled his maps to show where the substance must be placed. Garigus and Belis were the same. "Rhaegar met Robert on the Trident, and you know what happened there. When the word reached court, Aerys packed the queen off to Dragonstone with Prince Viserys. Princess Elia would have gone as well, but he forbade it. Somehow he had gotten it in his head that Prince Lewyn must have betrayed Rhaegar on the Trident, but he thought he could keep Dorne loyal so long as he kept Elia and Aegon by his side. The traitors want my city, I heard him tell Rossart, but I'll give them naught but ashes. Let Robert be king over charred bones and cooked meat. The Targaryens never bury their dead, they burn them. Aerys meant to have the greatest funeral pyre of them all. Though if truth be told, I do not believe he truly expected to die. Like Aerion Brightfire before him, Aerys thought the fire would transform him . . . that he would rise again, reborn as a dragon, and turn all his enemies to ash.

ACoK Tyrion V.

Spoiler

Tyrion remembered the red priest Thoros of Myr and his flaming sword. Even a thin coating of wildfire could burn for an hour. Thoros always needed a new sword after a melee, but Robert had been fond of the man and ever glad to provide one. "Why doesn't it seep into the clay as well?"

"Oh, but it does," said Hallyne. "There is a vault below this one where we store the older pots. Those from King Aerys's day. It was his fancy to have the jars made in the shapes of fruits. Very perilous fruits indeed, my lord Hand, and, hmmm, riper now than ever, if you take my meaning. We have sealed them with wax and pumped the lower vault full of water, but even so . . . by rights they ought to have been destroyed, but so many of our masters were murdered during the Sack of King's Landing, the few acolytes who remained were unequal to the task. And much of the stock we made for Aerys was lost. Only last year, two hundred jars were discovered in a storeroom beneath the Great Sept of Baelor. No one could recall how they came there, but I'm sure I do not need to tell you that the High Septon was beside himself with terror. I myself saw that they were safely moved. I had a cart filled with sand, and sent our most able acolytes. We worked only by night, we—"

"—did a splendid job, I have no doubt." Tyrion placed the jar he'd been holding back among its fellows. They covered the table, standing in orderly rows of four and marching away into the subterranean dimness. And there were other tables beyond, many other tables. "These, ah, fruits of the late King Aerys, can they still be used?"

And ACoK Tyrion XI.

Spoiler

Only then did he admit Hallyne with the latest tallies from the alchemists. "This cannot be true," said Tyrion as he pored over the ledgers. "Almost thirteen thousand jars? Do you take me for a fool? I'm not about to pay the king's gold for empty jars and pots of sewage sealed with wax, I warn you."

"No, no," Hallyne squeaked, "the sums are accurate, I swear. We have been, hmmm, most fortunate, my lord Hand. Another cache of Lord Rossart's was found, more than three hundred jars. Under the Dragonpit! Some whores have been using the ruins to entertain their patrons, and one of them fell through a patch of rotted floor into a cellar. When he felt the jars, he mistook them for wine. He was so drunk he broke the seal and drank some."

"There was a prince who tried that once," said Tyrion dryly. "I haven't seen any dragons rising over the city, so it would seem it didn't work this time either." The Dragonpit atop the hill of Rhaenys had been abandoned for a century and a half. He supposed it was as good a place as any to store wildfire, and better than most, but it would have been nice if the late Lord Rossart had told someone. "Three hundred jars, you say? That still does not account for these totals. You are several thousand jars ahead of the best estimate you gave me when last we met."

The cellars of the Red Keep, the gates, the Dragonpit, stables and storehouses, the Great Sept of Baelor, Flea Bottom, all over King's Landing. The caches under the Dragonpit and Baelor's Sept have been found. Possibly more, it might be that the caches at the gates for example were unceremoniously gotten rid of after the Sack. Wildfire, at least sometimes, appears to be used as a siege weapon after all. And then there's Varys with his little birds utilizing the secret passages in the Red Keep, not to mention that Jaime searches the Tower of the Hand in AFfC. Stables, storehouses and Flea Bottom all sound places where one might expect traffic.

That however is speculation. Hallyne explicitly says that much of Aerys' stock was lost. (Nor have the old jars the alchemists have been destroyed, but safely stored.) Even if nobody knows where the remaining caches are, I think they're still there and flammable, for the reasons of dramatic effect. Even if that demands one to suspend disbelief. Jaime may well know more, and Varys is Varys.

Does that answer the question?

King Tyrion after having been defeated may consider or order it be ignited, a let them reign over ashes situation, but will in the end turn to suicide and take no-one with him.

It'll be used somehow in TWFTD by humanity against the Others.

3 hours ago, TsarGrey said:

That however is speculation. Hallyne explicitly says that much of Aerys' stock was lost. (Nor have the old jars the alchemists have been destroyed, but safely stored.) Even if nobody knows where the remaining caches are, I think they're still there and flammable, for the reasons of dramatic effect. Even if that demands one to suspend disbelief. Jaime may well know more, and Varys is Varys.

Does that answer the question?

Yes, especially the part about speculation.  :^)  No one knows where any of those old caches are. Since they've been mentioned a few times, it does seem likely that some will be found, or perhaps detonated by accident, later in the story. But so far, there's no evidence of any specific character doing any of that.

9 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:
12 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Arya will want to get revenge after she hears what happened to Jon at the wall.  Wildfire will be her tool.

The girl who risked her life to save children from a barn on fire will do this? :wacko:

No. She even saved Rorge and Biter. Jaqen too. 

4 hours ago, James West said:

The Faceless Men (Arya Stark)

I'll laugh if its polite. 

Arya Stark on her own initiative.  She would do this if she is near the city when news of Jon's death reaches her.

Why don't you list all the names of Arya as separate people likely to blow up KL and be done with it? 

• Stannis Baratheon
  • The Wildlings under The Weeper

The former is going to rest forever in the North. Unlikely he'll come bavk south. No throne for him confirmed. Stubborn ass won't kneel to anyone. 

Wildlings and Weeper!? Seriously!? 

Archived