Who will detonate the wildfire, and why? Please stop and let this thread die...

Alyn Oakenfist

Following Checkov's wildfire it is clear that the catches are going to be lit. Right now I see 3 possibilities of how it might happen.

1. Cersei. So Cersei is sure to go out with a bang, but whether it will be a metaphorical or literal one is hard to say. It would be a nice end to her Mad Queen ark, but then again, she parallels Robert more then she does Aerys. But it's still a big possibility that she intentionally detonates it in the clusterfuck that will be King's Landing before Aegon swoops in.
  2. Jon Conn. So Jon Conn will have a nice ark in TWOW of doing ever more fucked up shit to put Aegon on the Throne (I have a feeling that massacring the prisoners at the end of Westerosi Agincourt might not be the end of it). So if shit really hits the fan with Dany he might set it off in an attempt to kill her, or as a final fuck you if she kills his silver prince. I find this the least likely option.
  3. Dany. I can see 3 ways she might do it
    1. Accidentally when Dance of Dragoning Aegon. No need to elaborate that one
    2. Accidentally or maybe intentionally if the populace goes really against her. So Dany seems to be on a pretty Rhaenyra-ish trajectory, with a pinch of Aemond thrown in for good measure. As previously outlined I think she will kill Aegon and be seen as a kinslayer and usurper for it, similarly to how Rhaenyra was seen after Halaena's suicide, which sparked the storming of the Dragonpit. I can see the people of KL trying to pull something similar, only to be killed by dragonfire and accidentally lighting the catches.
    3. Intentionally as a last gambit against the WW. If the War for the Dawn goes really sideways, I could see Dany, as a last desperate measure, luring the Army of the Dead into KL, usign the massive population as bait, only for her to light the catches, killing the populace but also the Army of the Dead.

So which one do you think it will be?

1 hour ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Following Checkov's wildfire it is clear that the catches are going to be lit. Right now I see 3 possibilities of how it might happen.

1. Cersei. So Cersei is sure to go out with a bang, but whether it will be a metaphorical or literal one is hard to say. It would be a nice end to her Mad Queen ark, but then again, she parallels Robert more then she does Aerys. But it's still a big possibility that she intentionally detonates it in the clusterfuck that will be King's Landing before Aegon swoops in.
  2. Jon Conn. So Jon Conn will have a nice ark in TWOW of doing ever more fucked up shit to put Aegon on the Throne (I have a feeling that massacring the prisoners at the end of Westerosi Agincourt might not be the end of it). So if shit really hits the fan with Dany he might set it off in an attempt to kill her, or as a final fuck you if she kills his silver prince. I find this the least likely option.
    2. Accidentally or maybe intentionally if the populace goes really against her. So Dany seems to be on a pretty Rhaenyra-ish trajectory, with a pinch of Aemond thrown in for good measure. As previously outlined I think she will kill Aegon and be seen as a kinslayer and usurper for it, similarly to how Rhaenyra was seen after Halaena's suicide, which sparked the storming of the Dragonpit. I can see the people of KL trying to pull something similar, only to be killed by dragonfire and accidentally lighting the catches.
    3. Intentionally as a last gambit against the WW. If the War for the Dawn goes really sideways, I could see Dany, as a last desperate measure, luring the Army of the Dead into KL, usign the massive population as bait, only for her to light the catches, killing the populace but also the Army of the Dead.

It could also be Tyrion, if he really goes off the deep end. Imagine such a terrible vengeance against the city for which he fought and nearly died, only to be rejected and scorned yet again. I’d put my money on Tyrion manipulating the contenders such as Daenerys and Aegon so that chaos erupts around Cersei’s head, even as he detonated the wildfyre to kill those who always belittled him (pun intended).

Just now, Canon Claude said:

It could also be Tyrion, if he really goes off the deep end. Imagine such a terrible vengeance against the city for which he fought and nearly died, only to be rejected and scorned yet again. I’d put my money on Tyrion manipulating the contenders such as Daenerys and Aegon so that chaos erupts around Cersei’s head, even as he detonated the wildfyre to kill those who always belittled him (pun intended).

Really interesting idea. I think this does kinda fit in one of the last 2 scenarios (Jon Conn or Dany) but still a super interesting take.

Arya Stark.  Arya Stark will detonate the wildfire.  She's just crazy enough and angry enough to do it.  All hell will break loose when she learns of her beloved Jon getting killed by his own Night's Watch men.  She will sling blame all over the place and in her despair, take her anger out on as many people she can.   

As much as I would like to see otherwise my current perspective is that Daenerys will intentionally burn KL because of the people there not accepting her as a result of her killing Aegon and then demanding complete fealty, which they will refuse to give. I believe she will be progressively seduced by Dark (fire and blood ) Magic and ultimately will attain the moniker used to describe Queen Rhaenyra at the end of her 6 month reign in KL, namely being a "Maegor with Teats".  Actually I would not be surprised to see a similar theme in HOTD with Rhaenyra's character/behavior being somewhat whitewashed (as compared to in the book) in the beginning of the series (somewhat similar to Daenerys' egalitarian behaviors initially) but then ultimately will become evil as a result of all the stressors/losses she will have to deal with (similar to Daenerys' deterioration with the stressors/losses she had to deal with). But at least viewers will not be as upset with this as Rhaenyra's behavior/ending is already known as per Fire and Blood (as long as the production is good)History does have a tendency to repeat itself.

38 minutes ago, Wolf's Bane said:

Arya Stark.  Arya Stark will detonate the wildfire.  She's just crazy enough and angry enough to do it.  All hell will break loose when she learns of her beloved Jon getting killed by his own Night's Watch men.  She will sling blame all over the place and in her despair, take her anger out on as many people she can.   

There are enough threads to discuss whether Arya is the vengeful psycho killer you describe her as. I would suggest taking this sentiment there. I disagree with  that interpretation but acknowledge at least there is discussion on it. What is never at discussion is whether Arya cares about innocent smallfolk. Just think about Micah, about Jaqen next time you suggest  Arya will kill tens of thousands of innocents. 

10 hours ago, Wolf's Bane said:

What a surprise given your username! 

10 hours ago, Davjos said:

There are enough threads to discuss whether Arya is the vengeful psycho killer you describe her as. I would suggest taking this sentiment there.

My personal Toxic dump

17 hours ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

This is the Alyn I love! 

All three. Mass combo! 

So, I see Arya as a possibility as well, though I don´t see her as crazy, psychotic, whatever, but for the following reasons:

1) None of the IT contenders in the south would be agreeable king/queen to the north. We have a Lannister (no need to explain) and 2 Targaryens who the north helped to overthrow not long ago. Even if Aegon and Dany seem to be good people, their name taints them. The only agreeable king to the north is Stannis and he is pretty much doomed to die up north. So a smart girl could try to get rid of them all at once.

2) Ghost of Highheart prophecy. So it seem Arya is destined to cause a disaster as bad or worse as Summerhall. Summerhall was destroyed by wildfire....

But the suggestions of the OP are quite posible as well. I only think we will see 2 more battles for KL yet. Cercei and Aegon will butt heads and whoever wins will later have to face Dany. The wildfire will go off in the second battle.

The only reason for Daenerys Targaryen to burn her city, the city her ancestors built, will be to stop the Others and their ice wights from further spreading.  She will have no choice should the city fall to the Others and becomes overrun with wights.  This is possible.  The Pale Mare is the training for how to stop the spread of wightification.  The Others and their ice wights will be treated as an infectious disease.

The person who might burn the city out of spite is Arya Stark.  She has knelt in the altar of the god of death and she will snap emotionally.  The ghost of HH was disturbed by Arya and foresaw the many people that little one will kill.  The old lady would not have been disturbed if Arya's victims are all bad people. 

It can be Varys. For example, if KL will be ruled by Cersei and Euron, while fAegon will try to take over the city. From the sea-side it will be guarded by Iron Fleet. So Varys will use wildfire to get rid of Euron's ships, and to clear the path for fAegon and Golden Company. This could be result of wildfire, not dragons (TWOW, The Forsaken): "He saw the longships of the Ironborn adrift and burning on a boiling blood-red sea. He saw his brother on the Iron Throne again"

If it's deliberate, then I think it would be done by someone facing defeat.  That would make Cersei or Jon Connington the likeliest culprits.

If it's accidental, I expect it occurs at some point when either fAegon/Arianne or Daenerys are fighting their way into the city,

12 hours ago, Wolf's Bane said:

Allow me to break this down.

Arya Stark.  Arya Stark will detonate the wildfire.

How??? Arya doesn't know about the wildfire, she has no way to find out about it, nor does she have a dragon that might light it accidentally. There is literally no way she might do it.

She's just crazy enough and angry enough to do it.

Arya is angry at a lot of people, but never faceless civilians. Her anger is always highly focused and directed, that's why she has a list, for fucks sake.

All hell will break loose when she learns of her beloved Jon getting killed by his own Night's Watch men.

Please excuse me while I go puke.

She will sling blame all over the place and in her despair, take her anger out on as many people she can.   

Again, that's not Arya, she won't start killing civilians, she'll add Marsh and co to her list.

20 minutes ago, SeanF said:

If it's deliberate, then I think it would be done by someone facing defeat.  That would make Cersei or Jon Connington the likeliest culprits.

Dany could work too here against the WW.

21 minutes ago, SeanF said:

If it's accidental, I expect it occurs at some point when either fAegon/Arianne or Daenerys are fighting their way into the city,

I can't really see how Aegon could accidentally light the wildfire.

41 minutes ago, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Dany could work too here against the WW.

I can't really see how Aegon could accidentally light the wildfire.

A building could easily go on fire in the fighting, and then things just escalate.

The conflict in the west has always been between the lion and the wolf.  The lion has had the better of the wolves but it will end. Bran will learn who crippled him. Arya already hates the lions.  Arya will ignite the Wildfire when Jaime, Cersei, Illyn, and Tommen are all in the city.  Bran will guide her to do this. My answer is Arya will set off the wildfire.

Archived